View Full Version : Bob Irzyk leaving Channel 5

Tydude
08-01-2013, 09:34 PM
Tonight was Bob last night at Channel 5.

soonerguru
08-01-2013, 09:52 PM
Where is he going?

venture
08-01-2013, 11:58 PM
Sports director Bob Irzyk leaving KOCO-5 after three years with station | News OK (http://newsok.com/sports-director-bob-irzyk-leaving-koco-5-after-three-years-with-station/article/3867591)

Sounds like it is still up in the air.

soonerguru
08-02-2013, 12:52 AM
What is going on at Channel 5? Not that Irzyk is great or anything but they have been bleeding staff. After Rick Mitchell, it was sad to see Rusty Macranie go. They had a pretty good team at one time.

SoonerDave
08-02-2013, 06:37 AM
I saw Bob post what he called "Last Night Photo" with KOCO, and I wasn't sure if that just mean "last night" as in "someone just snapped a pic last night," or "this is my last night.." Obviously was the latter.

Ch 5's staff churn is so high it makes it hard to get interested in their newscast. Really odd.

Anyone here remember when Dean Swanson was the main anchor? Beware, if you do, you're tacitly admitting your age :)

kelroy55
08-02-2013, 06:54 AM
What is going on at Channel 5? Not that Irzyk is great or anything but they have been bleeding staff. After Rick Mitchell, it was sad to see Rusty Macranie go. They had a pretty good team at one time.

They do seem to have a high turnover rate. I see Rick Mitchel and Carla Wade down here on DFW stations.

rezman
08-02-2013, 09:15 AM
For years, KOCO has seemed like a stepping stone on the path to bigger markets. Outside of a core handful, most reporters and weather persons don't stick around there too long.

ou48A
08-02-2013, 01:09 PM
So who would they hire?

Being that its the largest demographic in our local sports market it it seems like they would do good to hire a former OU football player.
Love him or hate him look at how long Dean Blevins has been on our TV's.
Trying to find a good fit like that would be a smart move if you want to end the revolving door and improve ratings.

Bigrayok
08-02-2013, 08:34 PM
So who would they hire?

Being that its the largest demographic in our local sports market it it seems like they would do good to hire a former OU football player.
Love him or hate him look at how long Dean Blevins has been on our TV's.
Trying to find a good fit like that would be a smart move if you want to end the revolving door and improve ratings.

I have noticed that Channel 5 does not seem to have as many Oklahoma natives as 4 or 9. There appears to be more turnover on 5 than 4 and 9. I wonder if this is because they tend to be the 3rd station in the ratings. Maybe what they need is an Ogle! I actually watch 5 because they do not have an Ogle even though I like them ok. Who is the longest tenured person on 5? Linda Cavanaugh on 4 and Gary England on 9 have been around for 30 plus years. Does channel 5 have anyone that has been there more than 10 years? Does anyone remember when Linda Cavanaugh was on channel 5 back around 1975? She got married and moved to North Carolina and came back a few years later on channel 4. Maybe 5 needs to bring Mayor Mick back to do sports. He can start wearing his hair piece again.

Bigray in Ok

SoonerDave
08-05-2013, 08:13 AM
While I don't necessarily think it has to be a football player per se, some attention to locally developed talent would certainly not be a bad option for KOCO to consider. I think there's a lot to be said for the idea that local people create at least the illusion of relevance and credibility that someone "just passin' thru" doesn't and never will have.

As far as the uniqueness of local news goes, I think most folks here who might not be in a position to venture out of the state much would be surprised to go to any other substantially similar or larger market, turn on the TV, and find the exact same theme music, identical graphics, slogans, jingles, and sometimes even sets, which essentially serves as a monument to the fact that the consultants and analysts have homogenized local news to the point where there's really not much substantive difference from market to market or channel to channel. Local talent could be a differentiator.

soonerguru
08-05-2013, 08:30 AM
I have noticed that Channel 5 does not seem to have as many Oklahoma natives as 4 or 9. There appears to be more turnover on 5 than 4 and 9. I wonder if this is because they tend to be the 3rd station in the ratings. Maybe what they need is an Ogle! I actually watch 5 because they do not have an Ogle even though I like them ok. Who is the longest tenured person on 5? Linda Cavanaugh on 4 and Gary England on 9 have been around for 30 plus years. Does channel 5 have anyone that has been there more than 10 years? Does anyone remember when Linda Cavanaugh was on channel 5 back around 1975? She got married and moved to North Carolina and came back a few years later on channel 4. Maybe 5 needs to bring Mayor Mick back to do sports. He can start wearing his hair piece again.

Bigray in Ok

PLEASE NO OGLES! That's why we watch it!

duckman
08-06-2013, 07:49 AM

Bigray in Ok

Jessica Schambach is now the longest running on air personality with 11 years of service. Everyone else is less than 5 years.

OKCTalker
08-06-2013, 08:16 AM
What's the difference between Jessica Schambach & Linda Cavanaugh? Linda's been there since the days of console black & white TV sets.

Jersey Boss
08-06-2013, 08:49 AM
What's the difference between Jessica Schambach & Linda Cavanaugh? Linda's been there since the days of console black & white TV sets.

If ya gotta ask you wouldn't get it.

venture
08-06-2013, 08:53 AM

Linda is a rarity in the OKC market. Look at KWTV for example. As soon as one of their female anchors starts to show a wrinkle, they get put out to pasture. Robin Marsh is fighting it with probably a few hundred pounds of makeup and various enhancements to retain the younger look. I still don't understand why she isn't anchoring the main newscast at 5, 6 and 10 instead of the one, that has provided many airhead moments, they have now...but whatever.

I'm glad KFOR hasn't sent Linda off to retirement yet. Sometimes it does good when you have longevity in the market with more than just your male anchors.

Debzkidz
08-22-2013, 08:58 AM
I'm thrilled Bob Irzyk is gone. I could never stomach him and was one of the reasons I would always change the channel to something else.

progressiveboy
08-22-2013, 10:31 AM
I'm thrilled Bob Irzyk is gone. I could never stomach him and was one of the reasons I would always change the channel to something else. Really? He was a top sports director here in Dallas for over 10 years. Very popular in DFW. He also won a top award for being a Big Brother in DFW. I was rather surprised when he accepted a position in OKC, however, as the saying goes, "Nice work if you can get it"! I personally liked him and thought he was very professional and polished, but everyone has an opinion. I wish him the best of luck!

MikeLucky
08-22-2013, 11:51 AM
I always thought Irzyk was just a bad choice for OKC... he never seemed to be someone that was taking any steps to ingrain into the local sports scene. He just was always a guy reading a teleprompter to me.