View Full Version : CHS buys HMA

Zuplar
07-31-2013, 07:38 AM
Not sure if anyone has seen this but this will be a somewhat big change in our hospitals. For those that don't know CHS owns Deaconess and HMA manages several Integris hospitals and Midwest Regional in Oklahoma. Here is a link to the article:

Community Health Systems to Acquire Health Management Associates - MarketWatch (http://www.marketwatch.com/story/community-health-systems-to-acquire-health-management-associates-2013-07-30?reflink=MW_news_stmp)

And for those interested in the Oklahoma locations here they are:

Oklahoma | hma.com (http://www.hma.com/locations/oklahoma)

From what I understand there is a good chance Deaconess will re-brand Midwest Regional, and possibly the others. At the very least the Integris name will be pulled off the building.

zookeeper
07-31-2013, 10:57 AM
Not sure if anyone has seen this but this will be a somewhat big change in our hospitals. For those that don't know CHS owns Deaconess and HMA manages several Integris hospitals and Midwest Regional in Oklahoma. Here is a link to the article:

Community Health Systems to Acquire Health Management Associates - MarketWatch (http://www.marketwatch.com/story/community-health-systems-to-acquire-health-management-associates-2013-07-30?reflink=MW_news_stmp)

And for those interested in the Oklahoma locations here they are:

Oklahoma | hma.com (http://www.hma.com/locations/oklahoma)

From what I understand there is a good chance Deaconess will re-brand Midwest Regional, and possibly the others. At the very least the Integris name will be pulled off the building.

But CHS actually OWNS Deaconess and HMA only manages the Integris hospitals. Couldn't Integris ownership simply choose a new management partner long-term?

Zuplar
07-31-2013, 11:22 AM
My understanding of the deal is that CHS is purchasing these hospitals from Integris as part of the deal to buy HMA.

bombermwc
08-01-2013, 07:14 AM
So many weird things like that come up with hospitals.....HCA manages OU but really what we call OU isn't all OU. Integris is a foundation that owns the hospitals, but they are managed by HMA. Mercy is now owned, but managed by someone else as well......ugh.

This does not bode well for Midwest City either. With the fight going on there between the staff and HMA, CHS is the worse possible outcome for that place.

bombermwc
08-01-2013, 07:23 AM
I should also note that HMA currently only manages some of the smallest Integris hospitals (like Blackwell).

CHS doesn't currently manage anything other than Deaconness, Ponca, and Woodrow.

Zuplar
08-01-2013, 10:51 AM
I should also note that HMA currently only manages some of the smallest Integris hospitals (like Blackwell).

CHS doesn't currently manage anything other than Deaconness, Ponca, and Woodrow.

Yes, plus all Deaconess's affiliates.

MWCGuy
08-03-2013, 01:35 AM
Mercy is owned and operated by the Sisters of Mercy out of St. Louis. Mercy has entered some INTEGRIS like parterships with Logan County and what was Parkview in El Reno. The government trusts still owns Logan County and the former Parkview. Mercy manages the operation.

INTEGRIS is a private corporate foundation that is owned and operated out of Baptist Medical Center. INTEGRIS was born from the merger of Southwest Medical Center and Baptist Medical Center. From what I understand INTEGRIS more or less franchised the five hospitals to HMA as means of clearing debt because those hospitals were not making money on their own and constantly needed support from the INTEGRIS system to keep them open. INTEGRIS like any corporation they probably expect their facilities to at least make enough money to support their operations.

iMAX386
08-06-2013, 03:48 AM
So is Integris actually looking to get rid of the smaller hospitals that HMA currently manages as a way to offset debt, or is their hand being forced by CHS buying up HMA? Let's say CHS just does the same job for Integris that HMA was doing in those smaller Integris hospitals...anyone know if this merger will change anything in the hospital with respect to procedure/personnel?

I work at Integris Baptist and we get emails about Integris hospitals and their affiliation with HMA, but we haven't heard anything about this yet...probably too soon. I have a friend who works for HMA locally with the Integris hospitals mostly, and I'm wondering how this is going to affect his job.

bombermwc
08-06-2013, 06:26 AM
Mercy is owned and operated by the Sisters of Mercy out of St. Louis. Mercy has entered some INTEGRIS like parterships with Logan County and what was Parkview in El Reno. The government trusts still owns Logan County and the former Parkview. Mercy manages the operation.

INTEGRIS is a private corporate foundation that is owned and operated out of Baptist Medical Center. INTEGRIS was born from the merger of Southwest Medical Center and Baptist Medical Center. From what I understand INTEGRIS more or less franchised the five hospitals to HMA as means of clearing debt because those hospitals were not making money on their own and constantly needed support from the INTEGRIS system to keep them open. INTEGRIS like any corporation they probably expect their facilities to at least make enough money to support their operations.

I commented on that very thing on the thread about MRMC being sold. Community hospitals often have financial issues. It's just extremely difficult to keep them afloat. There's constantly a sale going on, defaults, bankruptcy, closure, etc. in the small hosptial world. They serve a very important need, but are faced with difficulties larger facilities dont have. When they allow themselves to be purchased into larger groups, it's in the hope that they will be rescued. Sometimes it happens, and sometimes the larger groups end up closing them and selling off/distributing the hardware. It's really a world where they almost need a subsidy to keep their head above water.

Zuplar
08-11-2015, 03:10 PM
Not sure if this has made news, but Deaconess and Midwest Regional changed their names to Alliance Health. Kind of blah if you ask me.

Zuplar
08-11-2015, 03:56 PM
Home | AllianceHealth Deaconess (http://www.alliancehealthdeaconess.com/Deaconess-Hospital-OKC/Home.aspx)

bombermwc
08-14-2015, 08:54 AM
CHS just re-branded itself. So everything that's AllianceHealth, is still CHS. New name, same crap. Of course corporately, they tried to push it as a major thing. The staff is smart enough at both locations to know that it's a bunch of bullcrap. Companies do things like that when they're trying to escape their reputation.

Zuplar
08-17-2015, 07:43 AM
CHS just re-branded itself. So everything that's AllianceHealth, is still CHS. New name, same crap. Of course corporately, they tried to push it as a major thing. The staff is smart enough at both locations to know that it's a bunch of bullcrap. Companies do things like that when they're trying to escape their reputation.

Yep, you are right about all of it.