View Full Version : Trying to locate a retailer with fire pit rings?

BBatesokc
07-29-2013, 08:46 AM
Having the hardest time locating galvanized or stainless steel fire pits rings locally. Anyone know of a lumber, feed, farm or hardware store that carries them?

Needing one about 5' or 60" across and at least 12" tall (prefer taller).

I've tried Atwoods (largest is 3' across) and every other local farm store I've tried doesn't carry them at all. Tractor Supply says they carry them seasonally and not again until around Sept and even then they are closer to 3' across.

I can find them online, but they either don't ship them or charge a fortune to ship them.

Just thought some here that live on an acreage might have seen them or bought them before.

Needing to do a lot of branch burning and figured I'd put in a ring and then rock the exterior of it for aesthetics.

Midtowner
07-29-2013, 08:58 AM
You could use an old oil drum, poking holes in the bottom for ventilation. Those things burn extremely hot.

ctchandler
07-29-2013, 09:02 AM
BBatesokc,
Would a five foot stock tank work? Just cut the bottom out of it. I don't know the cost but you should be able to find them. By the way, anybody handy with a torch could remove the bottom. A six foot tank two feet deep is $250 at Tractor Supply. That may be more than you are wanting to spend, but I thought I would mention it.
C. T.

BBatesokc
07-29-2013, 09:09 AM
You could use an old oil drum, poking holes in the bottom for ventilation. Those things burn extremely hot.

A 5' across oil drum would be a mighty big oil drum! If I just wanted to burn I'd consider some drums - but I want it to look pleasing too after I rock it in. Will most likely put flagstone around it and some nice outdoor furniture. Figured if I've gotta burn branches all the time, might as well enjoy it and maybe roast a marshmallow or two.

BBatesokc
07-29-2013, 09:11 AM
BBatesokc,
Would a five foot stock tank work? Just cut the bottom out of it. I don't know the cost but you should be able to find them. By the way, anybody handy with a torch could remove the bottom. A six foot tank two feet deep is $250 at Tractor Supply. That may be more than you are wanting to spend, but I thought I would mention it.
C. T.

I've actually considered a stock tank. Don't even know if I'd have to remove the bottom (just cover it a few inches with sand?). I need to research it. I have been told to pay attention to the material its made of as it could give off toxins when exposed to flame. Also needs to be thick enough not to warp, etc.

Martin
07-29-2013, 09:13 AM
if you left the bottom in, i'd think it'd be prone to collecting rain water. -M

BBatesokc
07-29-2013, 09:18 AM
if you left the bottom in, i'd think it'd be prone to collecting rain water. -M

I was reading where they advise to put several large holes in the bottom and fill it with cheap small gravel and then top with sand. Also read where you should rock in the inside and out if the metal is galvanized.

Roger S
07-29-2013, 09:37 AM
I don't remember at what temp it begins to release toxins but beware of using anything galvinized.

It might not be as dangerous since you will be in a well ventilated area but I've seen enough threads on the dangers of using galvanized trash cans as smokers to know that you can make yourself sick.

Wikipedia - Metal Fume Fever (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_fume_fever)

BBatesokc
07-29-2013, 09:43 AM
I don't remember at what temp it begins to release toxins but beware of using anything galvinized.

It might not be as dangerous since you will be in a well ventilated area but I've seen enough threads on the dangers of using galvanized trash cans as smokers to know that you can make yourself sick.

Wikipedia - Metal Fume Fever (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_fume_fever)

Probably not a good idea to have my toxic fumes wafting over to my neighbor's house since he's a lawyer!

kelroy55
07-29-2013, 09:57 AM
I've always used an old washer drum... already has holes in it and it's about the right size.

Wambo36
07-29-2013, 10:09 AM
We built ours out of those 8"x12"x4 "rounded faced landscaping blocks. It takes 14 to make one circle 42" across and we have it three tall. it was actually pretty nice at two tall (8") but the FF in me had to go taller. We built it directly on the ground so it would be easy to clean out every once in awhile. It's great for getting rid of limbs and sitting around roasting hot dogs.

BBatesokc
07-29-2013, 11:41 AM
We built ours out of those 8"x12"x4 "rounded faced landscaping blocks. It takes 14 to make one circle 42" across and we have it three tall. it was actually pretty nice at two tall (8") but the FF in me had to go taller. We built it directly on the ground so it would be easy to clean out every once in awhile. It's great for getting rid of limbs and sitting around roasting hot dogs.

I'd go that route if the wife would let me. She wants to use actual stone that matches the house. I found lots of 'how to's' using landscaping stones and they can look really good.

BlackmoreRulz
07-29-2013, 12:47 PM
Try "Rick's House of Fire" on N Hefner, west of the BE.

Wambo36
07-29-2013, 05:03 PM
I'd go that route if the wife would let me. She wants to use actual stone that matches the house. I found lots of 'how to's' using landscaping stones and they can look really good.
I hear you. My sons built ours one day while I was at work. They were jonesing for a s'more, I guess.

kevinpate
07-29-2013, 05:40 PM
Maybe find an old propane or oil tank via salvage and have a ring cut from it? If it doesn't have to be a circle, perhaps old RR ties set in a square, a rectangle or an octagon shape?

JIMBO
07-30-2013, 10:46 AM
Old RR ties usually contain CREOSOTE. Not something you would want to be burning. Especially next door to a lawyer.

rezman
07-30-2013, 11:10 AM
A stock tank would be perfect. Galvanize fumes would not last long enough to be an issue. Especially if you were to line it with rocks or bricks, any galvanizing exposed to heat would burn off and be done.

kevinpate
07-30-2013, 11:53 AM
Old RR ties usually contain CREOSOTE. Not something you would want to be burning. Especially next door to a lawyer.

well no one says ya have to build your fire out to the edge of fire arena.

Buffalo Bill
07-30-2013, 11:57 AM
Check the Oklahoma Correction Industries website. They make stuff for the state parks and sell those items to the public.

Oklahoma Correctional Industries Commerce Site (http://www.ocisales.com/ProductDetails.aspx?sendingPageType=Catalog)

Jersey Boss
07-30-2013, 06:03 PM
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) (http://www.ocisales.com/faq.aspx)

Can I purchase from OCI?
OCI may sell products and services only to qualified customers, as defined in Oklahoma State Statutes. Those customers include governmental agencies of the state and any subdivision of the state, non-profit or charitable agencies chartered in Oklahoma, units of the federal government and units of government in other states, all entities which contract with any of the preceding agencies, any Oklahoma church, and all employees or retired employees of the state of Oklahoma or any subdivision thereof. OCI cannot sell to the general public and will not sell products for resale.