View Full Version : What are the "nice" neighborhoods in Norman?

ConstantChange
07-26-2013, 05:56 PM
I'm considering selling my house and moving to a "nicer" neighborhood in the Norman area. What neighborhoods should I consider?

I want to stay as close to I-35 as possible since I work near Bricktown.

I'm looking to stay under $250,000.

venture
07-26-2013, 06:24 PM
The nice thing about Norman, there aren't many "bad" neighborhoods.

Norman OK Homes for Sale & Norman Real Estate - Zillow (http://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale/Norman-OK/pmf,mmm_pt/house_type/33136_rid/3-_beds/2-_baths/125000-250000_price/491-982_mp/35.2425,-97.451863,35.193135,-97.51864_rect/13_zm/_fm/)

That is just a quick look on Zillow for whats out there right now. A lot is going to come down to what you are looking for as well. Along and east of I-35 from Main down to Hwy 9 is going to be a more matured neighborhood. So you are going to have extensive trees and less of a subdivision feel. As you move west of I-35 you are going to get into the traditional suburban developments...common housing designs, little vegetation, and roughly nothing all that unique.

kevinpate
07-26-2013, 06:35 PM
Another point to keep in mind is as close to 35 as possible may not be the fastest way out of town if you are wanting to travel in the same small windows most other commuters are trying to travel.

Here's a thought. Use the link Venture posted and look at those areas to the east of the airport and between Rock Creek and Tecumseh.
Even though they are not right on 35:
Porter to Tecumseh has just been reworked and Tecumseh to Flood to 35 is wide and smooth flowing.
Same is true for 12th NE to Tecumseh.
Rock Creek to Flood and up Flood to 35 is also easy running.

bhawes
07-26-2013, 07:07 PM
The areas I listed in other post are close to I-44 which is also close to bricktown which will give you more options to look at.

ou48A
07-26-2013, 09:28 PM
These are some of the things that I considered.

There are things I didn’t like about living east of the interstate on the north end of Norman.
Extremely red dirt and sometimes sandy soil that Gofers & Moles like. I hate fighting that battle. They generally don't like the tight clay soil west of the interstate.

Almost all of the newer areas in Norman have much better street drainage than many older areas of Norman. Buy on higher and generally flat ground.... That might be easier to find on the west side of the interstate.

You won't be waiting on trains west of the interstate.
On occasion I -35 backs up well south of Tecumseh, exiting on Tecumseh lets you avoid many of the traffic issues that seem to occuer further south.

The Tecumseh Interstate exchange is well-designed and it saves you time.
It's about 3 minutes to I – 35 from my house. This area gives you about as quick of commute as you can have and still live in Norman . But its close enough to easily enjoy some of the amenity’s of OU & Norman.

If you have grade school age kids or plan on it this area has one of the top ranked public grade schools in the state. This fact has attracted many younger professional family’s to this area.

But everybody has different needs and thoughts on what it takes to make them happy and there is nothing wrong with that! It apears to be a sellers market right now good luck.

bhawes
07-27-2013, 03:21 PM
The areas I listed in other post are close to I-44 which is also close to bricktown which will give you more options to look at.

Homes in the Southwest Oklahoma City area attend great shcools which include Brink Middle School which is consider one of best in the state of Oklahoma. Also the highschool is either Westmoore of Southmoore which offer several AP classes.