View Full Version : Police Prepared To Set New Focus On Crime Hotspots

Prunepicker
07-25-2013, 06:02 PM
From News9 (http://www.news9.com/global/story.asp?S=22926703)
OKLAHOMA CITY - Officers are set to tackle what neighbors are
calling an overwhelming mess. Police say they are ready to shift
gears with a fresh focus on crime hotspots in Oklahoma City.

Most of the violence involves gangs, according to police. It's not
uncommon for officers to saturate their turf. When that happens,
the gangs eventually go elsewhere, according to Capt. Dexter
Nelson.

Violence in Oklahoma City reached a boiling point Tuesday night.
Detectives worked three homicides throughout Oklahoma City.
They also worked a shooting at NE 36th and Prospect, where that
act of violence did not come as a surprise to neighbors.
The police gang unit at Sooner Haven pulled back in early 2013 as
crime in the area fell, but Tuesday night's shooting has officers
reconsidering that decision. It also has neighbors demanding more
from officials.

betts
07-25-2013, 06:54 PM
I suspect this is like that old game where heads popped up and you had to bash them with a hammer. Then you had to bash the new heads that popped up out of other holes. The game had an end. Violence, I suspect, doesn't. If you don't change the roots of behavior and the culture of violence we tacitly accept, fixing the problem in one neighborhood will only move the troublemakers to another.

kevinpate
07-25-2013, 07:31 PM
I suspect this is like that old game where heads popped up and you had to bash them with a hammer. Then you had to bash the new heads that popped up out of other holes. The game had an end. Violence, I suspect, doesn't. If you don't change the roots of behavior and the culture of violence we tacitly accept, fixing the problem in one neighborhood will only move the troublemakers to another.

So does this mean the real peeps version of the game is called Cuff a Capper

Prunepicker
07-25-2013, 10:15 PM
So does this mean the real peeps version of the game is called
Cuff a Capper
Cuff a Capper? Wazzat?

kevinpate
07-26-2013, 05:50 AM
The arcade game betts referred to was known as Whack a Mole, the object being one pops up, you smack it down and more just keep popping up.
So, if the cops are going to focus in areas with rising shootings, the 3 word version that hit me was Cuff a Capper
(catch one shooter, another pops up, go after it, then another pops up)

For what it's worth, it was a lot funnier when it flitted through my head.

kelroy55
07-26-2013, 06:08 AM
Does that mean the police wernen't focusing on crime hotspots in the past?

Cocaine
07-26-2013, 06:22 PM
So are you saying the police response to this is exactly the same as their response to massage parlors. Del City cracks down and the parlors just move to a different area of the metro. I do think a cultural problem is a part of it but so are the drop out factory okc public schools that doesn't adequately prepare students for the job market they will enter in as adults. Even if we "fixed" the schools and the fatherless homes it would still take awhile for crime to drop because their are still kids/adults who went through the entire system while it was dysfunctional.

Mel
07-26-2013, 07:24 PM
We need more patrol officers. The economy had a double negative effect of putting more people into the nightmare of unemployment and cities had to trim their budgets. We are paying for that now. Folks can get to the point of severe desperation if they have to feed their kids or their habits.

Prunepicker
07-26-2013, 09:03 PM
... Even if we "fixed" the schools and the fatherless homes it would still
take awhile for crime to drop because their are still kids/adults who went
through the entire system while it was dysfunctional.
Should we start now or wait another decade?

krisb
07-26-2013, 09:07 PM
We need more patrol officers. The economy had a double negative effect of putting more people into the nightmare of unemployment and cities had to trim their budgets. We are paying for that now. Folks can get to the point of severe desperation if they have to feed their kids or their habits.

The police chief says the economy has no correlation with crime rates.

Mel
07-26-2013, 10:03 PM
The Chief will say what he's told to say. There are probably a whole mess of reasons for why things are the way they are. If people are working hard they have less time for getting in trouble.

betts
02-19-2014, 12:01 AM
I actually found some interesting data tonight. When you look at Forbes Magazine's 10 most dangerous cities of 2013 list and then look at their police officer numbers per capita, you find that all but 2(Oakland and Stockton) have significantly more officers per capita than we do, many almost double the number. This certainly suggests that numbers of officers may not significantly affect crime rates.

Law Enforcement Officers Per Capita for Cities, Local Departments (http://www.governing.com/gov-data/safety-justice/law-enforcement-police-department-employee-totals-for-cities.html)

http://www.forbes.com/sites/danielfisher/2013/10/22/detroit-again-tops-list-of-most-dangerous-cities-but-crime-rate-dips/

MWCGuy
02-19-2014, 01:38 AM
I noticed in general Oklahoma City is getting better in the areas officer presence and response time. When I moved to Midwest City in 2008 the first thing I noticed was the police presence. They are practically everywhere no matter what time of day or night you are out. I have noticed that Oklahoma City is becoming that way. In due time I think with the increase in manpower the response time will be down to just a few minutes in most areas of the city.