View Full Version : Crime in Our City

C_M_25
07-25-2013, 10:41 AM
Has anybody else noticed the up-tick in crime lately? 3 homicides in one night, fights at Quail Springs Mall, sharp increases in petty crimes. What is going on? Lack of police funding? Anyone have any ideas?

OKCisOK4me
07-25-2013, 10:45 AM
Where are we compared to last year's murder rate? Surely that's down.

C_M_25
07-25-2013, 10:58 AM
Hmm, I wouldn't even know where to look at a side by side comparison like that.

adaniel
07-25-2013, 11:15 AM
FWIW crime always increases in the summer. I have to say, until the past few weeks it seemed like things had definitely quieted down since the ridiculous spike last summer.

Can't find the article, but it stated homicides were down significantly this year, but other crime was pretty much unchanged.

Statistically speaking, crime in OKC, Tulsa, and the rest of the state tends to be on the high side.

OKCDrummer77
07-25-2013, 11:16 AM
Interesting that you should mention that today. My home was broken into yesterday. It's the second time I've been hit, the first time coming at the end of 2011.

LakeEffect
07-25-2013, 01:23 PM
Where are we compared to last year's murder rate? Surely that's down.

Yes, I believe we're down. Here's a blog post of mine from September of last year: Murdering Oklahoma City | Urban Lake Effect (http://urbanlakeeffect.wordpress.com/2012/09/18/murdering-oklahoma-city/)

This year we are currently up to around 48 I think.

Wheres_my_shirt
07-25-2013, 01:39 PM
It's might be worth looking in to, but it's most likely coincidental. I don't see anything out of the ordinary that would contribute to a spike

Soonerman
07-25-2013, 02:12 PM
FWIW crime always increases in the summer. I have to say, until the past few weeks it seemed like things had definitely quieted down since the ridiculous spike last summer.

Can't find the article, but it stated homicides were down significantly this year, but other crime was pretty much unchanged.

Statistically speaking, crime in OKC, Tulsa, and the rest of the state tends to be on the high side.

I wonder why that is? Seriously, I don't understand.

zookeeper
07-25-2013, 03:00 PM
I wonder why that is? Seriously, I don't understand.

1. Fewer cops on the streets. It's ridiculous for a city of our size. Murders are often just the final transaction that could have been stopped sooner.

2. Transiency. With a major East-West highway (I-40) intersecting with a major North-South highway (I-35) add the drug traffic going through this one major national junction and it's a recipe for higher crime.

3. As for Tulsa, they have more of the typical Midwestern crime area. OKC is very much in pockets and more spread out. I'll say nothing more on that. It is what it is.

PennyQuilts
07-25-2013, 04:00 PM
Interesting that you should mention that today. My home was broken into yesterday. It's the second time I've been hit, the first time coming at the end of 2011.

That's horrible. I hope they didn't tear anything up or take anything valuable. Are you going to stay there?

soonerguru
07-25-2013, 06:46 PM
Has anybody else noticed the up-tick in crime lately? 3 homicides in one night, fights at Quail Springs Mall, sharp increases in petty crimes. What is going on? Lack of police funding? Anyone have any ideas?

Summer.

soonerguru
07-25-2013, 06:48 PM

Not that it makes much difference, but approximately where do you live? We've been here 7 years and with an alarm and a dog, we've so far had no burglaries.

C_M_25
07-26-2013, 06:14 AM

We live on the north edge of the city, and crime has been rather high in our neighborhood. We originally picked the place because it was supposed to be "safe." However, when it takes the cops 20-30 minutes to show up to your house (if at all) after you call them, I can see why thieves target our area.

1. Fewer cops on the streets. It's ridiculous for a city of our size.

This brings me to my next point. There are WAY too few cops in this city. Spatially, I've heard OKC is as big as NYC (don't know if 100% true), but when you are spread out as far north as Edmond and as far east as Luther/Wellston, you need A LOT of cops. Personally, I wish they would redistrict (?) city limits. Currently, I have an Edmond address but get OKC utilities and kids go to Deer Creek. o.O Maybe they should pull in their city limits by 5-6 miles, let Edmond expand out east and west and let the Sheriff patrol the "country." Either that, or not fund another maps project and keep the tax to pay for police and firemen.

LakeEffect
07-26-2013, 07:30 AM
We live on the north edge of the city, and crime has been rather high in our neighborhood. We originally picked the place because it was supposed to be "safe." However, when it takes the cops 20-30 minutes to show up to your house (if at all) after you call them, I can see why thieves target our area.

This brings me to my next point. There are WAY too few cops in this city. Spatially, I've heard OKC is as big as NYC (don't know if 100% true), but when you are spread out as far north as Edmond and as far east as Luther/Wellston, you need A LOT of cops. Personally, I wish they would redistrict (?) city limits. Currently, I have an Edmond address but get OKC utilities and kids go to Deer Creek. o.O Maybe they should pull in their city limits by 5-6 miles, let Edmond expand out east and west and let the Sheriff patrol the "country." Either that, or not fund another maps project and keep the tax to pay for police and firemen.

OKC is the 4th largest (depending on the source) city in the US in land area. Something like 49th for population... Yes, we are large. We certainly appear to be staffed lower than desired. However, if you de-annex and then ask Edmond to annex or the County to take over, you'll still receive the same lack of attention. Neither would be able to staff up adequately unless they can achieve more tax collection or revise budget allocation appropriately.

OKCTalker
07-26-2013, 10:31 AM
I value data over anecdotes and local TV news broadcasts.

Anyone have historical v. YTD figures on crime?

Buffalo Bill
07-26-2013, 11:24 AM
I value data over anecdotes and local TV news broadcasts.

Anyone have historical v. YTD figures on crime?

With the year and summer over halfway done, it would appear that we are behind last year's murder rate.

2012: 99 murders in OKC

Oklahoma City has second-highest number of homicides in 2012 | News OK (http://newsok.com/oklahoma-city-has-second-highest-number-of-homicides-in-2012/article/3741981)

2013 48 as of 7-24-13

City of Oklahoma City - Notification Information (http://www.okc.gov/publicnotificationsystem/forms/publicNotificationInformation.aspx?notificationID= 3bb68fb1-a61d-4214-94b0-45d900f0dd8b)

Questor
07-27-2013, 02:11 PM
Total murders last year were 99. This years latest murder stats posted on the 205th day of the year.

By this time last year we'd already had 55 murders, vs. 48 this year. At our current rate, if it holds, we are on track for around 85 murders this year, which would be nearly 50% higher than the number in prior years of around 60-ish. This assumes murdering occurs at a linear progression, which it probably doesn't.

Not as high as last years record setter, but still very high. This is just one specific type of crime.. Not all crime or even the majority of violent crime....

LakeEffect
08-15-2013, 08:56 AM
Quadruple homicide last night...

City of Oklahoma City - Notification Information (http://www.okc.gov/PublicNotificationSystem/Forms/publicNotificationInformation.aspx?notificationID= f48b677e-66ae-47ec-a725-eb527dda5f61)

Teo9969
08-15-2013, 09:13 AM
:(

OKCisOK4me
08-15-2013, 02:40 PM
Well..it was 51 two nights ago...so right back up with last year's 55. No bueno...SMH

LakeEffect
08-15-2013, 02:51 PM
56 according to the releases, and then another murder was recorded this morning in SW OKC. No OKCPD release that I can see though.

LakeEffect
08-16-2013, 07:48 AM
57, the victim died last night. City of Oklahoma City - Notification Information (http://www.okc.gov/PublicNotificationSystem/Forms/publicNotificationInformation.aspx?notificationID= 439a7b61-ba18-4807-892b-edb833c42712)