View Full Version : Aggressive roofing companies

MadMonk
07-25-2013, 08:36 AM
You always see these fly-by-night roofing companies sweep in after the big storms, but lately, I've been getting inundated with calls asking about repairing our roof. I had my roof replaced a few weeks ago (thank you Impact Roofing (http://impactroofingok.com/)), so the calls are usually pretty brief. However, now they have started canvassing my neighborhood with flyers and in one instance a couple of nights ago, they rang my doorbell.

This is how that exchange went:

[DING-DONG]
[BARK! BARK! BARK! BARK!...etc] My dogs go crazy at the doorbell ringing, I'm at the dining room table eating a fine dinner of a Subway sandwich and chips, and I'm immediately annoyed. I open the door to find a younger-looking girl with a clipboard in her hand. I get visits sometimes with people selling magazines "for college", etc. so that's what I was expecting.

The girl says "Hi, I'm with [I forget the name] Roofing company and we have been inspecting the neighborhood for damage and it seems like you have some damage to your roof. We have some really great roofing deals going right now, would you be interested in more detailed inspection and a quote for your insurance?"

Me: (Heh, heh, this is going to be fun) "Oh really? What sort of damage did you find?"

Girl: "Well, I can see some impact damage from the ground and I notice you have some roofing granules coming out of your gutters, but I'd need to get up there to judge the full extent of the damage.

Me: Before you do that, I need to contact my roofer. It was just replaced three weeks ago and he'll want to know about the problems you are seeing. (Bwahahahaa)

Girl: [Starts backing away down the porch steps] "Oh, the problems I was talking about are just around the neighborhood, mostly. It sounds like you've been taken care of already"

Me: "Yeah, I'm good, thanks. Bye." [Big grin]

I guess I took down the little yard sign from the roofer a little too soon. :D

ou48A
07-25-2013, 09:22 AM
I have had many roofing companies come by my house.

I'm convinced that many people are replacing roofs because they have been scared into replacing them by roofing companies. While the roof maybe damaged that doesn’t necessary mean they are going to be leaking anytime soon or be looking like crap either.

I do have a small job that needs done. Several roofing companies have told me they are interested in doing it and will get back with me with a bid, but they never do bar one and they haven't showed up yet?

Too many insurance claims over a period of time can cause the some insurance companies to cancel your policy.... And we have had a lot of hail in recent years.