View Full Version : Things are rough in the rust belt

traxx
07-23-2013, 12:10 PM
Detroit made the news for their bankruptcy and now Cleveland making the news for grim murders. Both can point to their poor and declining cities as a cause.

Soul-searching in Cleveland after 3 slayings (http://news.yahoo.com/soul-searching-cleveland-3-slayings-214822927.html)

Prunepicker
07-23-2013, 07:11 PM
The declining neighborhood was mentioned a few times. I believe homes
should have a usable front porch, large enough for a swing and some chairs,
so folks can wave at their neighbors and watch what's going on.

venture
07-23-2013, 08:14 PM
Detroit made the news for their bankruptcy and now Cleveland making the news for grim murders. Both can point to their poor and declining cities as a cause.

Soul-searching in Cleveland after 3 slayings (http://news.yahoo.com/soul-searching-cleveland-3-slayings-214822927.html)

You really hate that area don't you? LOL

Bunty
07-24-2013, 07:56 AM
The declining neighborhood was mentioned a few times. I believe homes
should have a usable front porch, large enough for a swing and some chairs,
so folks can wave at their neighbors and watch what's going on.

That pleasant little custom surely went out when refrigerated air conditioning for homes became common place. Would you like to sit out on the front porch when it's still in the 80s or 90s at dusk? However, northern states may find the temp more pleasant then.

ctchandler
07-24-2013, 11:05 AM
Bunty,
My late sister lived in Grand Rapids, Michagan for nine years and only one time did she want air conditioning. There was a very hot two week period in July. So porch swings can be enjoyed there.
C. T.

That pleasant little custom surely went out when refrigerated air conditioning for homes became common place. Would you like to sit out on the front porch when it's still in the 80s or 90s at dusk? However, northern states may find the temp more pleasant then.

venture
07-24-2013, 11:13 AM
Bunty,
My late sister lived in Grand Rapids, Michagan for nine years and only one time did she want air conditioning. There was a very hot two week period in July. So porch swings can be enjoyed there.
C. T.

This is very much the case. Though they can get spurts of hot/humid weather every few years (like this year), but overall you get evenings in the 70s with a nice breeze that make it perfect for being outside.

traxx
07-24-2013, 11:28 AM
You really hate that area don't you? LOL

Nope. Just making a connection between the two cities' hard times because their economic trials are somewhat related.

adaniel
07-24-2013, 12:01 PM
Detroit's problem have been festering for some time now.

That economic decline causes people to become serial killers in one place over another is a pretty weak argument.

If we were looking at a macroeconomic picture, "rust belt" Ohio has a lower unemployment rates than once booming "sunbelt" states like GA, NC. or FL.

venture
07-24-2013, 12:36 PM
Nope. Just making a connection between the two cities' hard times because their economic trials are somewhat related.

Quite a few areas are going through economic trials, but you can't really link them together for more than that. Cleveland has been in the news away for grim murders...or have you missed the last couple serial killers? Of course Cleveland is also down to 8.7% unemployment from a high of 12.3%. Ohio overall is down to 7.0%, like what ADaniel mentioned is still below FL, TN, NC, GA, etc. Not bad for a rust belt state.

Do you have anything else to bring to the table to compare these two? Cleveland has been getting a lot of negative press with these, but their murder rate is still lower than Baton Rouge. Detroit's financial problems are well known and have been for years...at least they are finally taking steps to fix it. Probably the most noteworthy thing to watch on the Detroit Chapter 9 filing is how it impacts other areas. Keep in mind...Oklahoma is also well underfunded on pensions and such, so if Detroit is successful, you very well could see the same happen here to wipe out retirees.

Jersey Boss
07-24-2013, 01:45 PM
...Oklahoma is also well underfunded on pensions and such, so if Detroit is successful, you very well could see the same happen here to wipe out retirees.

If you are comparing the political subdivision of Detriot to the political subdivision State of Oklahoma, no the same thing can not happen. Oklahoma is a sovereign and can not file bankruptcy.

traxx
07-24-2013, 02:09 PM
Quite a few areas are going through economic trials, but you can't really link them together for more than that. Cleveland has been in the news away for grim murders...or have you missed the last couple serial killers? Of course Cleveland is also down to 8.7% unemployment from a high of 12.3%. Ohio overall is down to 7.0%, like what ADaniel mentioned is still below FL, TN, NC, GA, etc. Not bad for a rust belt state.

Do you have anything else to bring to the table to compare these two? Cleveland has been getting a lot of negative press with these, but their murder rate is still lower than Baton Rouge. Detroit's financial problems are well known and have been for years...at least they are finally taking steps to fix it. Probably the most noteworthy thing to watch on the Detroit Chapter 9 filing is how it impacts other areas. Keep in mind...Oklahoma is also well underfunded on pensions and such, so if Detroit is successful, you very well could see the same happen here to wipe out retirees.

First off, I don't know where you got the idea that I hate that area. Have I made deragatory statements about Cleveland or Detroit in the past that would lead you to make that statement in your first comment to me?

Second, the connection comes from the economic hard ships that the two cities are facing. Detriot has been mismanaged by city leaders but some of the cause is also because of the decline in population. This article makes the connection between murders in recent years and the financial hard ships of Cleveland. The article is stating that. Not me. The article says it's one of the poorest big cities. Quotes in the article say that poverty and the decline of neighborhoods is conducive to an environment where these murderers can thrive. Again, that's from the article, not me.

venture
07-25-2013, 08:46 AM
First off, I don't know where you got the idea that I hate that area. Have I made deragatory statements about Cleveland or Detroit in the past that would lead you to make that statement in your first comment to me?

Second, the connection comes from the economic hard ships that the two cities are facing. Detriot has been mismanaged by city leaders but some of the cause is also because of the decline in population. This article makes the connection between murders in recent years and the financial hard ships of Cleveland. The article is stating that. Not me. The article says it's one of the poorest big cities. Quotes in the article say that poverty and the decline of neighborhoods is conducive to an environment where these murderers can thrive. Again, that's from the article, not me.

So now as you dance away from the initial comment, pinning it on the article itself, why didn't you instead state...

"Detroit made the news for their bankruptcy and now Cleveland making the news for grim murders. The article suggests, both can point to their poor and declining cities as a cause."

I'm not disputing the point that poverty leads to additional crime - that's well known. OKC has higher poverty levels than Norman or Edmond, so guess where the higher crime rates are. I guess this is just a failure of not quoting the sources properly and allowing comments to appear as your own.

venture
07-25-2013, 08:47 AM
If you are comparing the political subdivision of Detriot to the political subdivision State of Oklahoma, no the same thing can not happen. Oklahoma is a sovereign and can not file bankruptcy.

Well let me rephrase, does the City of OKC (which is what I should have said) have the same ability as most cities to file Chapter 9?

traxx
07-25-2013, 12:40 PM
So now as you dance away from the initial comment, pinning it on the article itself, why didn't you instead state...

"Detroit made the news for their bankruptcy and now Cleveland making the news for grim murders. The article suggests, both can point to their poor and declining cities as a cause."

I'm not disputing the point that poverty leads to additional crime - that's well known. OKC has higher poverty levels than Norman or Edmond, so guess where the higher crime rates are. I guess this is just a failure of not quoting the sources properly and allowing comments to appear as your own.

Listen here, asshole. If you've got a problem with me, come out and say it. Don't use this thread as a ruse and a way to get at me. If you've got something you want to say to me personally, say it, internet tough guy.

I'm not dancing away from anything or trying to pin anything on the article or anyone else. I guess I assumed you'd read the linked article and see that they were making that assertion. Not me.

It seems to me that your problem is wiht me personally and not the article. You came out of the gate assuming that I hate Cleveland or Detroit. Your first statement that I hate that area of the U.S. makes it appear that I've been putting down the rust belt in other threads or posts. Show me where this is true. You've taken every opportunity to to make snide comments at me instead of discussing the article that was linked and the idea behind the article. Again, if you've got a problem with me personally, don't be a pu$$y. Be a man and come right out and say it. I hate little passive agressive arguments like yours.

traxx
07-25-2013, 12:41 PM
Well let me rephrase, does the City of OKC (which is what I should have said) have the same ability as most cities to file Chapter 9?

So now as you dance away from your initial comment...