View Full Version : Metropolitan

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Pete
11-08-2012, 10:56 AM
800 N. Oklahoma (http://goo.gl/maps/24JAQ)
owner=Bomasada (http://www.bomasada.com/)
cost=$45 million
architect=Lord Aeck Sargent (http://www.lordaecksargent.com/)
start=Summer 2014
330 units; 578 parking spaces on 6 levels

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/metropolitanwiki1.jpg
Information & Latest News
1/21/14: $20 million building permit (http://www.okc.gov/Access/Cap/CapDetail.aspx?Module=Permits&TabName=Permits&capID1=14BRE&capID2=00000&capID3=00734&agencyCode=OKC&IsToShowInspection=)
1/21/14: $7.6 million building permit (http://www.okc.gov/Access/Cap/CapDetail.aspx?Module=Permits&TabName=Permits&capID1=14BRE&capID2=00000&capID3=00733&agencyCode=OKC&IsToShowInspection=)
8/13/13: Design application (http://www.okc.gov/Access/Cap/CapDetail.aspx?Module=Planning&TabName=Planning&capID1=13SPZ&capID2=00000&capID3=00274&agencyCode=OKC&IsToShowInspection=)
6/18/13: Metropolitan set to begin (http://m.newsok.com/the-metropolitan-will-be-largest-single-housing-project-in-downtown-okc/article/3863714)
Links
County Assessor Record (http://www.oklahomacounty.org/assessor/Searches/AN-R.asp?ACCOUNTNO=R020144145)
Gallery

HangryHippo
11-08-2012, 11:03 AM
What happened to the planned Panera? I thought it was getting pretty close to starting construction. What exactly are you hearing regarding the hotel?

Pete
11-08-2012, 11:19 AM
Possibly another Hilton Garden Suites.

Not sure about Panera other than it sounds like corporate may have killed it late in the process.

BoulderSooner
11-08-2012, 11:37 AM
interesting ..

BDP
11-08-2012, 11:43 AM
Possibly another Hilton Garden Suites.

Not sure about Panera other than it sounds like corporate may have killed it late in the process.

This is what I heard, too. Starbucks sounded like a close to done deal though.

Which is funny, because Starbucks has one in LB and if there is one thing the core doesn't lack, it's coffee houses. On the other hand, Panera doesn't have anything for miles. I think I'd rather get a sandwich at Native Roots anyway.

Pete
11-08-2012, 11:46 AM
Panera does both company-owned sites and franchises.

Don't know which this was but perhaps a local franchisee could not get ultimate corporate approval for this site due to lack of immediately adjacent rooftops.

BDP
11-08-2012, 12:10 PM
Panera does both company-owned sites and franchises.

Don't know which this was but perhaps a local franchisee could not get ultimate corporate approval for this site due to lack of immediately adjacent rooftops.

That is what I was told also, that corporate wouldn't support it due to demographic indicators. They may be better off in the CBD, then they'd get the best of both worlds. Kind of makes you realize that if anyone can figure out how to get retail and services onto Gaylord, you might see more interest as it could serve both the daytime work force and the growing residential at night.

Urbanized
11-08-2012, 01:29 PM
The Starbucks works well in that location due to drive-thru, I'm sure, which LB doesn't have. The LB location is out of the way for daily commuters anyway, and a huge percentage of the Starbucks target market working downtown accesses the core and the OUHSC via that exit ramp of off 235 daily. This one would be built for cars more than people. Actually it looks like a great location for them.

betts
11-08-2012, 01:29 PM
I'd much rather have something local here anyway. Old School Bagels is what I'm hoping for.

Pete
11-08-2012, 01:43 PM
As the Deep Deuce and Flatiron areas are not only the gateway to downtown and the Health Sciences Center but also the largest concentration of urban rooftops, it's the perfect spot for a breakfast place.

I'm sure one will come very soon.

Urbanized
11-08-2012, 02:51 PM
Disclaimer: I'm no fan of Starbucks and would personally much prefer local. I'm still regularly bummed when considering the loss of my old haunt Uncommon Grounds. I'm only saying that if I were a Starbucks real estate person trying to find the perfect spot for a new location in the downtown OKC area, that location would be high on my list. I'm sure they would hope for the area to the north to develop into a nice pedestrian-oriented area. That location, if it happens, would be a HIGH VOLUME drive-thru and drive-up place. Pedestrian business coming from a future surrounding development would be gravy.

Mmm...gravy...

BDP
11-08-2012, 03:12 PM
The Starbucks works well in that location due to drive-thru, I'm sure, which LB doesn't have. The LB location is out of the way for daily commuters anyway, and a huge percentage of the Starbucks target market working downtown accesses the core and the OUHSC via that exit ramp of off 235 daily. This one would be built for cars more than people. Actually it looks like a great location for them.

Obviously it's a good location for them. I just brought up their other location as a contrast to Panera's corporate strategy.

OKCisOK4me
11-08-2012, 03:17 PM
Seems like an interesting location for a hotel to say the least. Its development will be entertaining none the less.

catch22
11-08-2012, 04:22 PM
Thanks for all the updates today Pete!

Spartan
11-08-2012, 06:03 PM
So no more Panera downtown?

Pete
11-08-2012, 06:15 PM
So no more Panera downtown?

Not at this location.

Perhaps somewhere in BT or the CBD but I haven't heard anything specific other than this site being shot down.

Spartan
11-08-2012, 06:35 PM
What reason to shoot this site down wouldn't apply elsewhere downtown?

catch22
11-08-2012, 07:12 PM
What reason to shoot this site down wouldn't apply elsewhere downtown?

Possibly since it is outside of all the new development by a perceived distance. In other words, this area hasn't yet to start developing. Whereas just a few blocks over you have Deep Deuce exploding and Automobile Alley gaining some steam. Maybe they think this location is too premature for the exact placement.

I personally think it would be a great location with high volume car traffic off the highway headed into downtown and very close to all the rooftops. Maybe it's just not close enough for them?

I hope Panera puts in a location downtown somewhere though.

metro
11-09-2012, 09:39 AM
Don't forget there is also a Starbucks at 9th and Lee on the SE side of St. Anthony's.

LakeEffect
11-09-2012, 09:49 AM
Don't forget there is also a Starbucks at 9th and Lee on the SE side of St. Anthony's.

But not with a drive through - see previous comments.

Spartan
11-10-2012, 12:56 PM
Possibly since it is outside of all the new development by a perceived distance. In other words, this area hasn't yet to start developing. Whereas just a few blocks over you have Deep Deuce exploding and Automobile Alley gaining some steam. Maybe they think this location is too premature for the exact placement.

I personally think it would be a great location with high volume car traffic off the highway headed into downtown and very close to all the rooftops. Maybe it's just not close enough for them?

I hope Panera puts in a location downtown somewhere though.

From my experience working with retail locators here in Ohio on some projects, they're never anywhere close to that specific. They look at cities in 2-square mile chunks.

But all it takes is one. If you get one of these stubborn chains to come in, it sends a flashing signal.

catch22
11-10-2012, 12:57 PM
From my experience working with retail locators here in Ohio on some projects, they're never anywhere close to that specific. They look at cities in 2-square mile chunks.

Gotcha. Maybe they just aren't ready for downtown yet, then. Maybe in a few years when some more projects get finished and others get underway they might pull the trigger.

Pete
11-10-2012, 01:07 PM
Retailers and restaurants almost always look at demographics in a 1-, 3- and 5-mile radius from a particular site.

Depending on the use, they also heavily consider traffic counts and ingress/egress.

Spartan
11-10-2012, 01:21 PM
And one thing that Starbucks in particular is going to be obsessed about, is being on the "going-to-work side of the road" so that people don't have to left-turn through traffic in the morning.

Spartan
11-11-2012, 06:06 PM
I think Starbucks and/or Panera should be allowed to do a drive thru here. I don't see a problem just because the site sort of transitions between a freeway and more established walkable neighborhoods. That said, it should be a well-disguised and landscaped drive thru, like the Bricktown McD's.

catch22
11-11-2012, 09:13 PM
Pete have you heard any possible timeline that this development(s) may be announced?

LakeEffect
11-13-2012, 07:41 AM
Is it possible that they just didn't want to conform too any design guidelines they anticipated would be required? A site with a heavy emphasis on a drive-thru may not be as inexpensive or simple to accomplish and perhaps isn't worth their time at the moment.

Just a speculation.

Highly doubt it. Bricktown code specifically prohibits drive through food establishments, but no where else. It can be accomplished through the existing design regulations.

Pete
11-13-2012, 07:58 AM
Pete have you heard any possible timeline that this development(s) may be announced?

No.

But things seem to be moving along.

Usually, the first step is a submission for design review and/or land sale. Neither has happened as of yet.

Spartan
11-13-2012, 08:22 AM
Highly doubt it. Bricktown code specifically prohibits drive through food establishments, but no where else. It can be accomplished through the existing design regulations.

I'm curious about this though, because I see you routinely lament how strong the Bricktown design provisions are (they can just win at BoA, etc). Do they really? Genuine question

LakeEffect
11-13-2012, 09:30 AM
I'm curious about this though, because I see you routinely lament how strong the Bricktown design provisions are (they can just win at BoA, etc). Do they really? Genuine question

Yes, the code for Bricktown was actually updated to eliminate the use units "Eating Establishment: Drive-Through" and "Eating Establishment: Drive-in". Use Units are much more strict than design regulations, because a use unit cannot be varied by the Board of Adjustment. A full on zoning change would be required, and you'd be hard pressed to get zoned OUT of the BC (Bricktown Core) zoning. That would be an amazing fight.

Urbanized
11-13-2012, 09:49 AM
And one thing that Starbucks in particular is going to be obsessed about, is being on the "going-to-work side of the road" so that people don't have to left-turn through traffic in the morning.
No question.

Listen, a vehicle-focused (heavy drive-thru) business is entirely appropriate for that specific chunk of land. If you check out ACOG's traffic count database (http://acogok.org/Programs_and_Services/Transportation_and_Data_Services/TrafficCounts/), you'll see that block of 6th daily sees 7700 cars. Harrison, which branches off of the same five-point intersection a few yards east has 3200 daily. There is no recent count for the other branches off of that intersection, including Walnut and northeastbound Harrison, but it is easy to imagine that 15,000 cars make it through that intersection daily. A large number of people also exit/access I-235 along Oklahoma Avenue, which runs down the east side of the proposed Starbucks lot. No matter how walkable we make downtown, none of this will be changing; in fact as downtown redevelops and sees more infill that count is likely to go up considerably. Giving those drivers a Starbucks at what amounts to the bottom of their off-ramp on the way to work in the morning just makes too much sense from a business standpoint.

That said, the east and north sides of the building could (and should) be built in such a way as to encourage the pedestrian traffic that would eventually result from a (walkable) makeover of the neighborhood to the north. In other words, it shouldn't be a strictly suburban-style place but rather a hybrid that caters to both drive-thru and walk-up business. The Bricktown McDonalds is probably the best (only?) example of this in OKC, but I think it could be done much better than even that store was done.

Spartan
11-13-2012, 11:17 AM
Yes, the code for Bricktown was actually updated to eliminate the use units "Eating Establishment: Drive-Through" and "Eating Establishment: Drive-in". Use Units are much more strict than design regulations, because a use unit cannot be varied by the Board of Adjustment. A full on zoning change would be required, and you'd be hard pressed to get zoned OUT of the BC (Bricktown Core) zoning. That would be an amazing fight.

Ahh, okay. Thanks for spelling out the difference. Then I guess the question is if there is a way to make design regulations as strong, or if that would require a full shift for form-based building codes?

LakeEffect
11-13-2012, 12:13 PM
Ahh, okay. Thanks for spelling out the difference. Then I guess the question is if there is a way to make design regulations as strong, or if that would require a full shift for form-based building codes?

The problem is that the City developed its downtown zoning code (and other design districts) as its own amalgamation of form, design and land use based code. Some form based code lovers would say that you don't need design review as long as its urban. Others would argue you can control new development using existing code and strong design regulations. Additionally, some people would say that the use itself doesn't matter under a true form based code, so if we adopted a full form based code, then it wouldn't matter what happens.

That wordy statement being said, I think we should move toward a form-based code with less design review. Make it urban and you won't need much design review - the Committees/Commissions change membership, change interpretation, and often get into a "I like it" or "I don't like it" mode instead of an "it meets/does not meet the code" mode.

A form-based code may allow a drive through at an appropriate location based on the transect model - a drive through wouldn't be appropriate in the inner downtown core, but on an entrance arterial into town, perhaps.

Spartan
11-14-2012, 10:23 AM
As long as you adjust the transect model for separate nodes we want to develop activity, like centered around NW 63rd/Western, that works very well and makes a lot of sense. It makes the city a functioning entity around downtown. I'm more and more becoming a fan of form-based coding as the beauty is in its simplicity, and I also think elected leaders learn more from the city code (and respect the city code more) than the planning knowledge on staff and in the community.

With legitimate big cities like Cincinnati and small cities like Fayetteville moving toward form-based, I think the time is right for OKC. Do you have any idea if Plan OKC talks about that at all?

LakeEffect
11-14-2012, 12:16 PM
As long as you adjust the transect model for separate nodes we want to develop activity, like centered around NW 63rd/Western, that works very well and makes a lot of sense. It makes the city a functioning entity around downtown. I'm more and more becoming a fan of form-based coding as the beauty is in its simplicity, and I also think elected leaders learn more from the city code (and respect the city code more) than the planning knowledge on staff and in the community.

With legitimate big cities like Cincinnati and small cities like Fayetteville moving toward form-based, I think the time is right for OKC. Do you have any idea if Plan OKC talks about that at all?

It probably will... not sure at this point. The plan process is in the policy development stage, so the time is right for it to come up.

Pete
03-06-2013, 12:36 PM
I'm hearing that the proposed hotel deal for this property will now be about 150+ apartments.

They are close to getting everything finalized and we should get an official announcement soon.

catch22
03-06-2013, 12:51 PM
That's quite a bit of land for only 150 apartments.

Does this fall under any type of urban design district?

Pete
03-06-2013, 01:00 PM
It's about 3.75 acres, at least the part east of Oklahoma. And that doesn't include the now-closed street easement on 6th & 7th.

By comparison, Level has 222 units on 2.62 acres.

This project would fall under the purview of the Urban Design Commission.

OKCbrew
03-06-2013, 01:05 PM
It's a nice view from that spot, if you've got a unit with some elevation facing the south you should be able to see most of downtown and Bricktown. I'd move in!

HangryHippo
03-06-2013, 01:37 PM
Pete, is the Bomasada group out of Houston involved again? Or is this something else entirely?

BoulderSooner
03-06-2013, 01:44 PM
Pete, is the Bomasada group out of Houston involved again? Or is this something else entirely?

i don't think so .. i think this is a Garrett and company (along with partners like TAP) project

Pete
03-06-2013, 01:45 PM
i don't think so .. i think this is a Garrett and company (along with partners like TAP) project

Yep.

HangryHippo
03-06-2013, 01:50 PM
And it's now apartments? That's pretty cool. I look forward to an announcement.

Pete
03-06-2013, 02:05 PM
BTW, I'm not sure that the apartments will take all of the land east of Oklahoma.

They might be planning to use part of that for something else.

Should see something submitted or design review soon.

HangryHippo
03-06-2013, 02:25 PM
By soon do you mean in a matter of weeks (sometime in early April) or a matter of months (sometime in late May/early June)?

adaniel
03-06-2013, 03:08 PM
If they do decide to build on that corner a quiet zone is going to be a must. The train starts blowing its horn at NE 7th.

Soho
03-06-2013, 04:40 PM
Rumor is that a quiet zone is part of the deal.

If they do decide to build on that corner a quiet zone is going to be a must. The train starts blowing its horn at NE 7th.

Teo9969
03-06-2013, 05:56 PM
On some level, this is every bit as interesting as the Mystery Tower.

Stretching way to the NE now.

Interesting name for the LLC too: OKC Town Center ... wonder if they have any long term plans to develop something like this: CITYCENTRE - Welcome to CITYCENTRE (http://citycentrehouston.com)

That would seem to be a good area of town to make that happen.

Pete
03-06-2013, 06:01 PM

Actually, now I am hearing they may be involved in this. They have at least shown interest.

Mississippi Blues
03-06-2013, 09:11 PM
I think the Bomasada group would do a good job on the project. Will definitely be checking this thread to keep track of what goes on.

HangryHippo
03-07-2013, 07:51 AM
Well, that's good. I thought I remembered hearing that they were poking around again. Anyway, hopefully this project comes up soon and we get to see what they have in mind.

OKCisOK4me
05-05-2013, 09:37 PM
If the quiet zone is part of this deal then would that mean that development for housing on the land where Oklahoma Contemporary is suppose to be will happen as well?

Pete
07-14-2013, 11:20 AM
VERY interesting item on the July 18 Downtown Design Review agenda:

Presentation by the Bomasada Group for a future multifamily project on N Oklahoma Ave at NE 6th St

Looks like this is going forward.

Not sure if this will only be multi-family or also incorporate some retail elements.

Also, this was a concept by the same group from four years ago that eventually died; the lack of a quiet zone was blamed at the time.

http://mysite.verizon.net/res17zef/bomasada.jpg

Here's that old thread:

Campbell Park (dead) - OKCTalk (http://www.okctalk.com/showwiki.php?title=Campbell+Park+dead)

Pete
07-14-2013, 11:33 AM
Here is the Bomasada web site:

Homepage - Bomasada Group in Houston, Texas (http://www.bomasada.com/)

http://www.bomasada.com/_images/BGIMAPArt1.jpg

Little Rock:
http://www.bomasada.com/_images/FrontElevsmall2_675w.jpg

South Carolina:
http://www.bomasada.com/_images/100_0044_675x530.jpg

catch22
07-14-2013, 01:25 PM
Looking forward to seeing what they present.

Here's an aerial of that area.

http://gyazo.com/1d7527ab6aad695357a14f027c3ddd06.png

Praedura
07-14-2013, 01:30 PM
Based on that map above, what do you think the odds are that this new development will be called "The Enclave"? :)

Rover
07-14-2013, 01:52 PM
Hope we get the mostly brick one instead of the mostly Dryvit.

Rover
07-14-2013, 01:53 PM
Looking forward to seeing what they present.

Here's an aerial of that area.

http://gyazo.com/1d7527ab6aad695357a14f027c3ddd06.png

Isn't it north of that?

UnFrSaKn
07-14-2013, 02:02 PM
Looks like Oklahoma & Park Pl on the graphic so it must be further south, where your aerial view is.

catch22
07-14-2013, 02:10 PM
That graphic was their old application from 4 years ago. The DDRC presentation is for 6th and Ok Ave