View Full Version : Metropolitan

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11

pickles
03-20-2014, 03:05 PM
Deleted

OkieNate
03-20-2014, 03:17 PM
They sure the hell are OKC. Doesn't mean OKC specifically, but they have updates on OKC development. I have created an account and am going to start updating Skyscraper city on big developments in OKC.

Like the metropolitan? With information from OKCTalk?

HangryHippo
03-20-2014, 03:20 PM
That whole dust up really made Steve cranky. Since then, it seems like Steve has gotten too sensitive. It seemed like a big overreaction that he just quit participating here. Wish he'd just put his big boy britches back on and participate here again.

Plutonic Panda
03-20-2014, 03:21 PM
Like the metropolitan? With information from OKCTalk?Yes, I believe the Metropolitan has in fact been posted on Skyscraper city

catch22
03-20-2014, 03:39 PM
Yes, I believe the Metropolitan has in fact been posted on Skyscraper city

With info from OKCTalk?

Steve
03-20-2014, 03:41 PM
Some of you guys need therapy. Just got an email about this discussion all the way in Louisville. The "online" reference was to several questions I've received in the past few OKC Central Live Chats. For the record - I have quit making public comments about this site, even references, to avoid this sort of discussion and anything you see from this point on can be interpreted as a reference to something other than OKC Talk. When one has a full time job like I do, and I write books, volunteer my time to the community, and I have two boys I'm raising, ask yourselves - is OKC Talk something Steve thinks about day in and day out?

OkieNate
03-20-2014, 03:49 PM
With info from OKCTalk?

The links and information from Pete. Starting in March of 2013.

David
03-20-2014, 03:51 PM
~removed~

Plutonic Panda
03-20-2014, 03:55 PM
With info from OKCTalk?How should I know that dude? They posted the same renderings and same details that are on here. Whether they came from this site or not I don't know. I'm mean Jesus Christ, do you really expect me to know that?

Rover
03-20-2014, 03:58 PM
Why do so many on this site want to pick a fight with Steve? We need a little more maturity. There was absolutely nothing wrong with what he said and the insecure ones here always assume someone is picking on them.

Plutonic Panda
03-20-2014, 04:00 PM
Why do so many on this site want to pick a fight with Steve? We need a little more maturity. There was absolutely nothing wrong with what he said and the insecure ones here always assume someone is picking on them.You got that right.

Spartan
03-20-2014, 04:01 PM
They sure the hell are OKC. Doesn't mean OKC specifically, but they have updates on OKC development. I have created an account and am going to start updating Skyscraper city on big developments in OKC.

Good luck to ya.

Spartan
03-20-2014, 04:04 PM
Steve generally does good work, and it is appreciated here and elsewhere in the community. But he is also hugely sensitive, and particularly to the threat of competition, even where it doesn't really exist in any meaningful sense. His content is a totally different product, but it is pretty clear he feels a need to conspicuously position himself as an information source of superior legitimacy to this forum. When it comes to indentifying his actual competition, he mostly misses the forest while trying to cut down trees - like 20-something reporters at smaller publications who are no real threat to him and whom he is in a position to mentor rather than criticize aggressively on Twitter in obvious efforts to bludgeon them with the power of whatever influence he has as an established local figure with 8,000 plus followers.

What young reporters has he bludgeoned? Steve has mentored me, and several others, including aspiring journalists.

OkieNate
03-20-2014, 04:04 PM
You guys need therapy. Just got an email about this stupidity all the way in Louisville. The "online" reference was to several questions I've received in the past few OKC Central Live Chats. I have restricted my participation in OKC Talk because of this very sort of conspiracy talk and innuendos aimed at me simply because I say or write something that may not be in synch with the mob mentality here. For the record - I have quit making public comments about this site, even references, and anything you see from this point on can be interpreted as a reference to something other than OKC Talk.

WE need therapy and this is SO stupid it obviously bothered you enough to come here and address it. Not that I'm surprised someone so loyal to the daily derplohoman would act so unprofessional. You think writers in NYC, LA, Chicago, Houston, or anywhere with a solid newspaper would come defend themselves from rumors from web-site lol.

Rover
03-20-2014, 04:09 PM
Some posters need to grow up.

bchris02
03-20-2014, 04:09 PM
Wow. I know Pete and Steve have different sources as evidenced by the very different Chisolm Creek rumors, but I don't understand how there is so much bad blood between people on this site and Steve.

OKCTalker
03-20-2014, 04:22 PM
I find the [IGNORE] feature here very helpful. Not with a lot of people, but with a few who don't have a single meaningful thing to say. I just added another (and it ain't Steve!).

Left click on the name/View Profile/Add to Ignore List and confirm your decision.

Another board I use doesn't have an ignore option, but they regularly suspend participants.

pickles
03-20-2014, 04:35 PM
What young reporters has he bludgeoned? Steve has mentored me, and several others, including aspiring journalists.

Not important. Shouldn't have posted it.

CuatrodeMayo
03-20-2014, 05:08 PM
I find the [IGNORE] feature here very helpful. Not with a lot of people, but with a few who don't have a single meaningful thing to say. I just added another (and it ain't Steve!).

Left click on the name/View Profile/Add to Ignore List and confirm your decision.

Another board I use doesn't have an ignore option, but they regularly suspend participants.

My ignore list makes the recent posts in this thread a short read :)

PhiAlpha
03-20-2014, 05:49 PM
WE need therapy and this is SO stupid it obviously bothered you enough to come here and address it. Not that I'm surprised someone so loyal to the daily derplohoman would act so unprofessional. You think writers in NYC, LA, Chicago, Houston, or anywhere with a solid newspaper would come defend themselves from rumors from web-site lol.

Come on now. While I agree that even though Steve downplayed it, the comment(s) on this thread had a roll in inspiring him to write the article today, I think this comment is more than a little harsh and unnecessary. I appreciate the fact that (a) When called out, Steve logged on and explained his side of it (though a little harsh in that response as well), most people wouldn't do that (Ed Shadid, etc) and (b) OKCTalk has enough respect in the community that Steve felt like he should speak up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UnFrSaKn
03-20-2014, 06:01 PM
The last page so far on this thread is why I only seem to check threads once a week or not at all unless there's a tweet from Pete when there's actually some new development going on.

shawnw
03-20-2014, 06:06 PM
Steve and OKC Talk are both fantastic resources for me, as an OKC enthusiast. I'm very glad to have them keeping me excited about the growth and progress of OKC!

Thank you Steve!

Thank you OKC Talk!

Kumbaya everybody!

Plutonic Panda
03-20-2014, 07:26 PM
Wow. I know Pete and Steve have different sources as evidenced by the very different Chisolm Creek rumors, but I don't understand how there is so much bad blood between people on this site and Steve.I know. Rover couldn't had said it any better. People just need to grow up. End of story.

Plutonic Panda
03-20-2014, 07:28 PM
My ignore list makes the recent posts in this thread a short read :)I suppose I'm your ignore list, seeing as how we usually disagree on certain things, if you can see this, hopefully, this situation is not one of them.

Plutonic Panda
03-20-2014, 07:29 PM
The last page so far on this thread is why I only seem to check threads once a week or not at all unless there's a tweet from Pete when there's actually some new development going on.Yes, you're correct. All of these off topic posts(including mine), need to be deleted as they absolutely nothing to do with the Metropolitan.

traxx
03-21-2014, 08:32 AM
Some of you guys need therapy. Just got an email about this discussion all the way in Louisville. The "online" reference was to several questions I've received in the past few OKC Central Live Chats. For the record - I have quit making public comments about this site, even references, to avoid this sort of discussion and anything you see from this point on can be interpreted as a reference to something other than OKC Talk. When one has a full time job like I do, and I write books, volunteer my time to the community, and I have two boys I'm raising, ask yourselves - is OKC Talk something Steve thinks about day in and day out?

Steve, I think that started with me. I made the comment that you were refrerecing this thread. I didn't have my sarcasm font on and I believe some here may have taken me seriously.

OkieNate
03-21-2014, 08:46 AM
[QUOTE=PhiAlpha;762505]Come on now. While I agree that even though Steve downplayed it, the comment(s) on this thread had a roll in inspiring him to write the article today, I think this comment is more than a little harsh and unnecessary. I appreciate the fact that (a) When called out, Steve logged on and explained his side of it (though a little harsh in that response as well), most people wouldn't do that (Ed Shadid, etc) and (b) OKCTalk has enough respect in the community that Steve felt like he should speak up. "

If he felt that way all he had to say was, "Hey guys, I wasn't referring to OKCTalk." Rather than suggesting everyone on this site needs therapy and what we talk about is "stupidity" . (His original quote before he edited it). And I'm sorry but he is extremely naive if he doesn't think a good portion of his OKC Central chat questions and views come from OKCTalkers. Although, what I said could and should have been worded with less bite, I do not believe what I said was false.

And why is criticism of a professional journalist who comes to an amateur web-site and bickers like an amateur, rather than taking the high road, unnecessary?

soonerguru
03-21-2014, 10:44 AM
One wonders if representatives from the Metropolitan's developer are reading this thread. If so, I'm sure it makes for good office banter.

:tongue:

Pete
03-21-2014, 11:52 AM
Okay, enough of this... We are way, way off subject.

warreng88
03-21-2014, 12:03 PM
So, do we know what kind of ground floor retail they will be offering?

Pete
03-21-2014, 12:08 PM
So, do we know what kind of ground floor retail they will be offering?

Their plans don't call for any retail... Just the leasing office, lobby and apartments at ground level.

warreng88
03-21-2014, 12:15 PM
Their plans don't call for any retail... Just the leasing office, lobby and apartments at ground level.

Thanks for the clarification Pete. Maybe I was thinking of the Steel Yard. This might be an odd question but what happens when we finally get the quiet zone through this area? Will 9th street be blocked off to the apartments where people can't walk to S&B's, Hillbillys, The Womb, Iguana or Sarasara? Will they have to walk up to 10th and back down?

catch22
03-21-2014, 12:20 PM
Thanks for the clarification Pete. Maybe I was thinking of the Steel Yard. This might be an odd question but what happens when we finally get the quiet zone through this area? Will 9th street be blocked off to the apartments where people can't walk to S&B's, Hillbillys, The Womb, Iguana or Sarasara? Will they have to walk up to 10th and back down?
Gated crosswalks? In San Diego they have some gates that close and seal the crosswalk and the trains didn't sound their horns, if I remember correctly.

shawnw
03-21-2014, 12:21 PM
That is an EXCELLENT question I've wondered about as well (but didn't know who to ask).

LakeEffect
03-21-2014, 12:36 PM

As far as I know, they won't be blocked off. There will be extra signs and signals, I'd imagine. Another thing that I looked into when I was the project manager was a zig-zag approach to the crossing... Such as the photo attached. Causes a pedestrian to be more aware... 7081

warreng88
03-21-2014, 12:45 PM
The reason I ask is I drove from 10th south down Oklahoma and noticed one of the streets (7th or 8th) was completely blocked off with concrete barricades and a dead end sign. Maybe that is more temporary until they can install things like what cafe posted?

LakeEffect
03-21-2014, 12:48 PM
The reason I ask is I drove from 10th south down Oklahoma and noticed one of the streets (7th or 8th) was completely blocked off with concrete barricades and a dead end sign. Maybe that is more temporary until they can install things like what cafe posted?

14th, 12th, 11th & Park Place were officially closed by OKC (Planning Commission and then City Council). They are temporary blocked off until the full quiet zone commences. Interestingly, from what I can hear and tell, BNSF still blows the horns at these crossings. My guess is that the full closures haven't been processed through the Oklahoma Corporation Commission, so BNSF still considers them active and blows the horn, even though no vehicles can pass.

OkieNate
03-21-2014, 12:58 PM
As far as I know, they won't be blocked off. There will be extra signs and signals, I'd imagine. Another thing that I looked into when I was the project manager was a zig-zag approach to the crossing... Such as the photo attached. Causes a pedestrian to be more aware... 7081

Would this also be a tactic to keep bikes off the sidewalks?

LakeEffect
03-21-2014, 01:09 PM
Would this also be a tactic to keep bikes off the sidewalks?

I suppose it could...

One of my other suggestions at the time we first looked at the quiet zone was to fence the entire corridor so that people HAD to cross at dedicated crossings... not sure if that is happening, is feasible or if it would have been worth it.

G.Walker
05-18-2014, 07:45 AM
Last update was this project was going to break ground in April, now we are approaching June, time to worry now?

bchris02
05-18-2014, 08:06 AM
Yeah I wonder if this may in fact be dead. It was originally supposed to break ground as far back as last June.

Mississippi Blues
05-18-2014, 08:27 AM
Yeah I wonder if this may in fact be dead. It was originally supposed to break ground as far back as last June.

When was it thought to break ground last June? Where'd you hear that at? I honestly can't remember, but this project definitely has been silent for awhile (not that they owe us an update every few weeks).

Spartan
05-18-2014, 08:47 AM
Last update was this project was going to break ground in April, now we are approaching June, time to worry now?

It's funny that we get bludgeoned for questioning when this will start..

Plutonic Panda
05-18-2014, 09:04 AM
Steve's last update said he is not worried

Mississippi Blues
05-18-2014, 09:12 AM
Steve's last update said he is not worried

When was that update?

Plutonic Panda
05-18-2014, 09:14 AM
When was that update?two weeks ago I think.... It was in his chat.

bradh
05-18-2014, 09:33 AM
we have a few customers who turned in some numbers on the site utilities on the job and they're still talking to them i believe, so i'm inclined to believe it's not dead

Urbanized
05-18-2014, 09:36 AM
In the article section of this thread it lists the start date as "summer 2014". I assume that info came from somewhere. In which case - combined with Steve's expression of confidence - I wouldn't bother being worried until sometime after late September (Fall Equinox). And if some permitting or utilities or land remediation issue rears its head I wouldn't be worried if it starts even later.

This is a massive project. They don't always pop out of the ground as easily or as quickly as we'd all like.

Mississippi Blues
05-18-2014, 10:04 AM
two weeks ago I think.... It was in his chat.

Ah, that's why I missed it. This past week was the first time I read the transcript in a few months.

Plutonic Panda
05-18-2014, 12:02 PM
Ah, that's why I missed it. This past week was the first time I read the transcript in a few months.
Yeah.. I'm pretty sure it was either the last one or the one before that.

Mississippi Blues
05-21-2014, 12:44 AM
Birmingham has a nearly identical project called the Metropolitan proposed. Bomasada and Lord Aeck Sargent are also behind it.

http://imgick.al.com/home/bama-media/pgmain/img/alphotos/photo/2014/04/-abcf3ad51b08407b.jpg

First look: Proposed $40 million Metropolitan apartments in Birmingham's Lakeview District | AL.com (http://www.al.com/business/index.ssf/2014/04/first_look_proposed_40_million.html#incart_river)

Spartan
05-21-2014, 03:30 PM
I like that cantilevered awning better

HangryHippo
05-21-2014, 03:37 PM
Birmingham has a nearly identical project called the Metropolitan proposed. Bomasada and Lord Aeck Sargent are also behind it.

http://imgick.al.com/home/bama-media/pgmain/img/alphotos/photo/2014/04/-abcf3ad51b08407b.jpg

First look: Proposed $40 million Metropolitan apartments in Birmingham's Lakeview District | AL.com (http://www.al.com/business/index.ssf/2014/04/first_look_proposed_40_million.html#incart_river)

Oh good, their Metropolitan isn't under construction either! :Smiley122

G.Walker
05-21-2014, 03:38 PM
Oh good, their Metropolitan isn't under construction either! :Smiley122

Something tells me the one proposed in Birmingham, AL will start before the one here, lol.

Plutonic Panda
05-21-2014, 04:22 PM
I don't like that. It really isn't unique if they have the same design and pluck it down in multiple cities :p

HangryHippo
05-21-2014, 04:54 PM
Something tells me the one proposed in Birmingham, AL will start before the one here, lol.

At this point, it sure wouldn't surprise me. ha

Teo9969
05-21-2014, 05:01 PM
I like that cantilevered awning better

That's about the only race aLoft won in OKC :lol2:

Plutonic Panda
05-23-2014, 11:53 PM
From Steve's Chat

Nope. I received an update from Bomasada Group this week. Site prep should be starting soon. They had a delay in the financing that is now completed. People need to realize these big real estate deals are complicated and don't always follow original timelines.

- OKC Central Chat transcript, May 23, 2014 | News OK (http://newsok.com/okc-central-chat-transcript-may-23-2014/article/4850320)

GoThunder
05-24-2014, 06:32 AM
From Steve's Chat

- OKC Central Chat transcript, May 23, 2014 | News OK (http://newsok.com/okc-central-chat-transcript-may-23-2014/article/4850320)
Good. I was starting to get slightly worried but that's pretty encouraging.

Spartan
05-24-2014, 12:23 PM
IMHO financing is the worst delay to have. That goes to illustrate that this project was NOT as solid as reported. Sounds like it is now.

That's about the only race aLoft won in OKC :lol2:

Truth.