View Full Version : Metropolitan

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

AP
10-07-2013, 03:55 PM
It will only hurt the suburban apartments.... I just see them building less or turning section 8.

It's going to hurt all those crappy houses out in Yukon. :wink:

Plutonic Panda
10-07-2013, 06:45 PM
It's going to hurt all those crappy houses out in Yukon. :wink:don't think so there tiger. You're talking about a whole different animal with two different kinds of buyers.

Bellaboo
10-07-2013, 07:51 PM
The good folks in Yukon are employed, plus they have an outstanding school district. Not hurting out there by any means.

PWitty
10-07-2013, 08:04 PM
don't think so there tiger. You're talking about a whole different animal with two different kinds of buyers.

I could be wrong but I think he was being sarcastic, hence the winking smiley face :cool:

AP
10-07-2013, 09:42 PM
I could be wrong but I think he was being sarcastic, hence the winking smiley face :cool:

+1

Teo9969
10-07-2013, 10:05 PM
Sarcasm aside...there are people who will delay buying a house in the burbs to live downtown a few years now that OKC is developing a respectable urban core. I'm not saying thousands of people...but even 20 people per suburb who would have otherwise bought a home staying downtown for an extra 2 to 5 years keeps suburban home values from rapid increases in value, which has historically been one of the attractions to suburbs: Get in, get out, make $$$$$$$

Plutonic Panda
10-07-2013, 10:36 PM

+1Ooops, my bad :p

UnFrSaKn
12-06-2013, 08:25 AM
Thought I would bump this thread up since GE is going in down the street.

Pete
12-06-2013, 08:32 AM
http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/metropolitange.jpg

TechArch
12-06-2013, 08:34 AM
Pete - did the developers for the Metropolitan have any idea that the GE Global Research Center would be going in across Broadway Extension from them?

warreng88
12-06-2013, 08:37 AM
It would seem logical now to create a bikelane and sidewalk over the 10th street bridge but when has OKC ever responded to logic?

Pete
12-06-2013, 08:42 AM
Pete - did the developers for the Metropolitan have any idea that the GE Global Research Center would be going in across Broadway Extension from them?

I think they knew it was a possibility but couldn't be sure until it was official.

Even without GE, that's still a great location -- now it's simply awesome.

Pete
12-06-2013, 08:47 AM
10th at least has sidewalks on both sides of the bridge, but is far from pedestrian / bike friendly:

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/10th.JPG

Pete
12-06-2013, 08:49 AM
Harrison is worse, with a narrow sidewalk only on the south side:

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/harrison.JPG

warreng88
12-06-2013, 08:50 AM
10th at least has sidewalks on both sides of the bridge, but is far from pedestrian / bike friendly:

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/10th.JPG

True. Oklahoma has bike lanes and sidewalks which makes it better, but it is far from where it could be.

soonerguru
12-06-2013, 08:53 AM
What about the crossover at 8th Street? That would seem easier to make pedestrian friendly and it is actually closer to the Metropolitan.

warreng88
12-06-2013, 09:10 AM
What about the crossover at 8th Street? That would seem easier to make pedestrian friendly and it is actually closer to the Metropolitan.

Aren't they getting ready to redo that whole intersection and change how the ramp comes on/off the highway?

Anonymous.
12-06-2013, 11:05 AM
I wish they would just put a decent looking pedestrain-only bridge over 235.

HOT ROD
12-06-2013, 12:44 PM
here here

PhiAlpha
12-06-2013, 05:27 PM

Maybe the original sky dance bridge design?

OKCisOK4me
12-06-2013, 09:50 PM

I posted a pic a loooooooooooooooong time ago of a pedestrian type bridge in this area....

Spartan
12-07-2013, 11:02 AM
I'd caution against large investments over 235 if we really want to cap it and build a park someday.

I think this goal of taking our city back from ODOT's 235 is going to become one of the most powerful ideas in OKC history.

Plutonic Panda
12-07-2013, 03:26 PM
I'd caution against large investments over 235 if we really want to cap it and build a park someday.

I think this goal of taking our city back from ODOT's 235 is going to become one of the most powerful ideas in OKC history.and it's not going to happen because an extremely small group of people want it. 99% of the city seems to be just fine with as the only place I have ever heard removing this freeway is on this site. Since I've heard about it, I've asked tons of different people I've spoken to over the past few months and they all say it shouldn't happen.

bchris02
12-07-2013, 03:44 PM

I think this goal of taking our city back from ODOT's 235 is going to become one of the most powerful ideas in OKC history.

I disagree. Far more people would support keeping the freeway than getting rid of it. While most people support more walkable neighborhoods, some of the more radical ideas, this being one of them, would only see support from a tiny minority. The only way I-235 is going anywhere is if somehow it ends up getting relocated like I-40 did.

HOT ROD
12-07-2013, 11:07 PM
or covered as in the drawing

Mississippi Blues
12-07-2013, 11:35 PM
or covered as in the drawing

I think that's what Spartan was alluding to.

kevinpate
12-08-2013, 05:26 AM
Turning 235 into a tunnel in that area and having a park over it wouldn't be a bad thing at all. Expensive undertaking, but not a bad one.

Urbanized
12-08-2013, 08:17 AM
Yeah, I might be wrong but I don't think I have read where anyone on this site was actually advocating REMOVING I-235.

Urbanized
12-08-2013, 08:37 AM
Ah. Actually makes a tremendous amount of sense. Probably impossible to gain traction on it because of the Edmond-to-Norman (and vice-versa) crowd, but would have been great had it been built that way to begin with. From a downtown OKC perspective, it would be perfect.

Regarding the name, let's let our public servants get some distance from elected office before naming streets for them. ;) I'm still waiting on a street to be named for the very deserving Kirk Humphreys.

Spartan
12-08-2013, 09:33 AM
Yeah, I might be wrong but I don't think I have read where anyone on this site was actually advocating REMOVING I-235.

It's a common tactic of bchris and plutonic panda, I'm surprised plutonic didn't praise glorious Edmond and Plano in the same sentence (when will OKC finally have the vision to bridge these two hubs of culture and commerce with more sprawl?) and that bchris didn't work in a reminder of how much more awesome Charlotte/Omaha are than OKC. All we need is a fight to break between Pete and Steve and Popsy and myself an then it'll be a real OKC Talk Christmas.

And the reason "people haven't heard of this outside this board" is because it's a pretty fresh idea. As far as I'm aware, the idea literally originated from Andrew just last week. Maybe there was an earlier iteration I missed or didn't take seriously? Granted I've not been too active lately..

GoThunder
12-08-2013, 09:37 AM
It's a common tactic of bchris and plutonic panda, I'm surprised plutonic didn't praise glorious Edmond in the same sentence, and that bchris didn't work in a reminder of how much more awesome Charlotte/Omaha are than OKC. All we need is a fight to break between Pete and Steve and Popsy and myself an then it'll be a real OKC Talk Christmas.

And the reason "people haven't heard of this outside this board" is because it's a pretty fresh idea. As far as I'm aware, the idea literally originated from Andrew just last week. Maybe there was an earlier iteration I missed or didn't take seriously?
This is the first time I had heard of the idea as well. I think it's hard to judge the ability to gain traction on a project when the idea is literally brand new.

Spartan
12-08-2013, 09:40 AM
This is the first time I had heard of the idea as well. I think it's hard to judge the ability to gain traction on a project when the idea is literally brand new.

I think no matter what some myopic members of this board will judge the idea on the basis of whether it's in line with their presumed notion of main stream, not whether it's a good idea.

Since when do Edmondites and Normanites decide affairs in downtown OKC? Not that they don't have a stake but the question needs to be what is best for downtown and OKC, not best for Edmond.

I promise the downtown OKC boosters won't insist on their vision for Edmond, although Edmond itself appears to be urbanizing which is awesome to see.

Plutonic Panda
12-08-2013, 01:48 PM
It's a common tactic of bchris and plutonic panda, I'm surprised plutonic didn't praise glorious Edmond and Plano in the same sentence (when will OKC finally have the vision to bridge these two hubs of culture and commerce with more sprawl?) and that bchris didn't work in a reminder of how much more awesome Charlotte/Omaha are than OKC. All we need is a fight to break between Pete and Steve and Popsy and myself an then it'll be a real OKC Talk Christmas.

And the reason "people haven't heard of this outside this board" is because it's a pretty fresh idea. As far as I'm aware, the idea literally originated from Andrew just last week. Maybe there was an earlier iteration I missed or didn't take seriously? Granted I've not been too active lately..when I get to my computer I'll respond to this silly and inaccurate statement.

soonerguru
12-08-2013, 02:46 PM
I'm told by a knowledgeable person that building a quality pedestrian / bicycle bridge over 235 could be reasonably affordable -- not necessarily another iconic, Skydance-type bridge, but something safe and enclosed that would encourage pedestrian / bicycle passage.

shawnw
12-08-2013, 05:18 PM
i'm told by a knowledgeable person that building a quality pedestrian / bicycle bridge over 235 could be reasonably affordable -- not necessarily another iconic, skydance-type bridge, but something safe and enclosed that would encourage pedestrian / bicycle passage.

Steve
12-08-2013, 06:16 PM
,,, All we need is a fight to break between Pete and Steve and Popsy and myself an then it'll be a real OKC Talk Christmas.

I hate that this has become even a joke.... I want everyone to know that despite some disagreements that Pete and I have had, I have great respect and admiration for the contribution Pete had made to his hometown with OKC. His love for OKC is unquestionable. He's a great guy, and I hope he knows that despite our disagreements (some my fault), I consider him a friend. I"m trying hard to figure out how best to communicate with Pete and OKC Talk with the changing nature of this site. Yes, this is a possible hijack. So please go back to talking about the Metropolitan. But I don't want to be cast as being at odds with Pete.

Pete
12-08-2013, 06:21 PM
I love you too, Steve! :)

Seriously, I consider Steve a friend and I'm his #1 fan.

A few disagreements aside, I think we are getting very close to figuring out how to make this site work in harmony with the Oklahoman.

And as I've said many times, I am in complete awe of what Steve does every day. OKC is darn lucky to have him.

Steve
12-08-2013, 06:28 PM
I love you too, Steve! :)

Seriously, I consider Steve a friend and I'm his #1 fan.

A few disagreements aside, I think we are getting very close to figuring out how to make this site work in harmony with the Oklahoman.

And as I've said many times, I am in complete awe of what Steve does every day. OKC is darn lucky to have him.

Ditto on you Pete. We need to visit in person on your next visit (I've been remiss).

Spartan
12-08-2013, 08:38 PM
Hey, at least I threw myself under the same bus

Urbanized
12-08-2013, 09:12 PM

okcpulse
12-09-2013, 05:43 AM
Steve has been great asset to OKCTalk and is the reason I subscribe to The Oklahoman. Pete does a fantastic job in the information he provides in this board, which is far superior to many boards that shares information about Oklahoma City. We are all passionate about our city. No question about it. With every corner we turn, another project is announced that adds to the quality and growth of our city. Steve and Pete deserve a huge thank you for their efforts, and i look forward to more exciting announcements from them that continue to shape our future. They go out of their way to keep us involved with the growth of Oklahoma City. That is something you don't see in every city, if at all.

The Metropolitan is one of many projects that I can't wait to see come to fruition. I see that Google uploaded October images of OKC. Looks like the Stewart Metal Fabricator buildings are gone, and I see the construction moving forward in Midtown on other projects. Running out of empty lots!

kevinpate
12-09-2013, 07:15 AM
Hey, at least I threw myself under the same bus

True, but so many people throw you under the bus some of us assume you have cots installed just so you can rest from time to time.
:)

PhiAlpha
12-09-2013, 10:06 AM
Can we all have a big hug now?

Urbanized
12-09-2013, 08:56 PM
Creepy

Spartan
12-11-2013, 08:41 PM
True, but so many people throw you under the bus some of us assume you have cots installed just so you can rest from time to time.
:)

+1 that's because I already threw so many people under the bus ;P

CuatrodeMayo
12-11-2013, 10:22 PM

(I'm late to the party)

Plutonic Panda
12-11-2013, 10:34 PM

And the reason "people haven't heard of this outside this board" is because it's a pretty fresh idea. As far as I'm aware, the idea literally originated from Andrew just last week. Maybe there was an earlier iteration I missed or didn't take seriously? Granted I've not been too active lately..You likely won't even respond to this post as that seems to be one of your tactics, but please describe to me in detail, what exactly my common tactic is? My tactic is Urbanized possibly being wrong that no one here has advocated for the removal of I-235? You claimed you wanted to "take our city back". . . you never said burying the highway. The only intelligent assumption that could be made from that is you were advocating removing the highway.

I don't care what you say, there are tons of users of this forum that I guarantee you, if given an iron fist, that highway would be taken out. If you want to quote on quote "take our city back", then surely you would want to remove these horrible, sprawl inducing, economically depleting, awful highways, right? They are keeping our city from us, how dare those highways. Never mind the fact that those highways bring thousands of people into downtown and bring life to downtown, no, they are horrible. Oh, I forgot that everyone should live right on top of each other or they won't get first class priority from the city like those who do live right in the core would.

Just so you don't stray off topic either(ironically enough), the most important question here, what exactly is my tactic Spartan? Besides my top secret pro-highway, car, Texas, big 50 lane highway flyover interchange and anti-urban, walkability, mass transit agenda; which you seem to accuse me of either directly or subliminally.

Plutonic Panda
12-11-2013, 10:34 PM

(I'm late to the party)Thanks for reminding me about this. Since you "like" this comment, perhaps you could provide your insight on what my "common tactics" are.

Mississippi Blues
01-10-2014, 11:21 AM
Has anything new come about this thing that I missed? It's supposed to start construction this month according to the start date at the top of this article, but I don't know anything about this project.

Pete
01-10-2014, 11:30 AM
I have not seen any building permits as of yet.

shawnw
01-10-2014, 12:05 PM
Steve said it would start soon in the chat today.

HangryHippo
01-17-2014, 09:21 AM
Has anyone seen if this is ramping up yet? The article up top says it starts Jan. 2014.

Mississippi Blues
01-17-2014, 10:52 AM
Has anyone seen if this is ramping up yet? The article up top says it starts Jan. 2014.

Not to be "that guy" & come across as rude -- I'm sincerely not trying to be -- , but the two posts above yours mention "there has been no building permits yet" (as of last Friday), but "Steve mentioned in his (last weeks) chat that it would start soon". I'm so ready for this thing to get started, it is tied with 10th & Shartel as my favorite residential project to date.

HangryHippo
01-17-2014, 11:03 AM
Not to be "that guy" & come across as rude -- I'm sincerely not trying to be -- , but the two posts above yours mention "there has been no building permits yet" (as of last Friday), but "Steve mentioned in his (last weeks) chat that it would start soon". I'm so ready for this thing to get started, it is tied with 10th & Shartel as my favorite residential project to date.

I saw Shawn's post and wondered if there was a fence up, land clearing, anything of that nature in the week since that had been posted. I asked about something that was supposed to start soon so it didn't seem to be a problem asking again.

Pete
01-17-2014, 11:13 AM
Nothing can happen without a building permit and I always post once they are filed.

Mississippi Blues
01-17-2014, 12:15 PM
I saw Shawn's post and wondered if there was a fence up, land clearing, anything of that nature in the week since that had been posted. I asked about something that was supposed to start soon so it didn't seem to be a problem asking again.

Not a soul said it was a problem. Since you've apparently looked, you know I was the one that asked a week ago & Pete & shawnw responded to me, so it would be hypocritical to the max of me to suggest your question is a problem.

hoya
01-18-2014, 11:07 AM
So... has this started yet?

:D

Mississippi Blues
01-18-2014, 11:12 AM
So... has this started yet?

:D

If you look two posts.... J/K lol

Spartan
01-18-2014, 02:45 PM
It will be a relief to see this project start on time rather than drag on like some others. This project raises the bar at a time when the bar needs to be raised.

catch22
01-18-2014, 02:49 PM
It will be a relief to see this project start on time rather than drag on like some others. This project raises the bar at a time when the bar needs to be raised.

This, 10th and Shartel, and the Edge will be the new standard for downtown. Exciting watching the quality of developments improve so much in the past few years.