View Full Version : Knife Sharpening Service

ctchandler
07-15-2013, 02:38 PM
I need to have my knives sharpened, does anyone know a service in the OKC area?
Thanks,
C. T.

ctchandler
07-15-2013, 03:10 PM
Sid,
Thank you Sir!
C. T.
I had a couple responses on this thread: http://www.okctalk.com/local-businesses/26242-knife-sharpening-shop.html

Prunepicker
07-15-2013, 07:45 PM
I need to have my knives sharpened, does anyone know a service in the OKC area?
Thanks,
C. T.
To tell the truth your knives are probably sharp enough and what needs to
be done is to have the edge returned.

You can do that with a "steel". What you need to do is pretend you're
shaving a piece off of the steel. 7 times one way and 7 time the other.
Then 6 x's, then 5 then 4, etc. If you like I can show you how to do it.
Just PM and we'll meet up. Bring a steel, i.e. a heavy knife and those
you want to put an edge on.

You'll be glad you did.

Chef Prunie

PennyQuilts
07-15-2013, 08:10 PM
Hancocks fabrics regularly has someone in to sharpen scissors. I am not sure if they would also sharpen knives.

OKCTalker
07-15-2013, 09:00 PM
If you're buddies with a restauranteur, you might ask if they would let you include your knives among theirs the next time the knife sharpener comes by.

ctchandler
07-16-2013, 11:25 AM
Prunepicker,
I appreciate the offer, and I have a steel, but the steel simply takes the "burrs" off, they don't sharpen. I have good knives and a wood block for storage and a steel, but knives still need sharpening periodically and mine are due, it's been about four years and I had them sharpened at the place that Sid mentioned, but they closed down (I thought for good) and didn't realize they were open again.
Thanks for the tip though, I used to watch my aunt and uncle use the steel and they were magicians. My uncle would dress a rabbit and after almost every cut of significance, he used the steel for a few strokes on each side, then start cutting again.C. T.

To tell the truth your knives are probably sharp enough and what needs to
be done is to have the edge returned.

You can do that with a "steel". What you need to do is pretend you're
shaving a piece off of the steel. 7 times one way and 7 time the other.
Then 6 x's, then 5 then 4, etc. If you like I can show you how to do it.
Just PM and we'll meet up. Bring a steel, i.e. a heavy knife and those
you want to put an edge on.

You'll be glad you did.

Chef Prunie

PennyQuilts
07-16-2013, 01:00 PM
My kids' dad is a meat cutter and it is interesting to see him keep his knives sharp. Their uncle, while not a meat cutter, is just amazing with working with a steel. That's a real skill to have.

jerrywall
07-16-2013, 01:52 PM
You'd think there'd be a business in door to door knife sharpening. Or do people not buy nice enough knifes anymore?

MikeLucky
07-16-2013, 01:56 PM
You'd think there'd be a business in door to door knife sharpening. Or do people not buy nice enough knifes anymore?

How would YOU respond to some random dude showing up on your doorstep offering to sharpen your knives???? lol

jerrywall
07-16-2013, 01:59 PM
How would YOU respond to some random dude showing up on your doorstep offering to sharpen your knives???? lol

I get guys that come to the door to repaint my curb, or so try to sell me meat. Trust me, the guys selling meat disturb me more than the idea of knife sharpeners. But yeah, for some housewife alone...

RadicalModerate
07-16-2013, 04:02 PM
I met a guy once who could get a knife so sharp that you could trim the ink off a newspaper page without cutting all the way through the paper. He had sort of a free-lance knife sharpening business. Sure wish I could remember his name . . .

Prunepicker
07-16-2013, 04:07 PM
You'd think there'd be a business in door to door knife sharpening. Or do
people not buy nice enough knifes anymore?
I saw a mobile sharpening service a couple of years ago in a van. I
don't remember the name of the company.

I'll bet most people are buying knives with the serrated blades or maybe
those Ginsing (sp) knives on TV.

Here's a Super Pages link (http://yellowpages.superpages.com/listings.jsp?CS=L&MCBP=true&C=sharpening+services+okc&STYPE=S&search=Find+It&submit=Search) for sharpening. Maybe one of them does
knives.

ctchandler
07-29-2013, 02:57 PM
Artisan's Pride in Norman will sharpen knives for $5 each, one day service but they don't do serrated knives. And don't take them in on Saturday expecting one day service. I will go there this week. It's thirty miles for me, that's why I'm just now getting around to going.
Thanks for the suggestions folks. Unless there is a problem, I won't post about knives again.
C. T.

Martin
07-29-2013, 03:04 PM
do yourself a favor and pick up some meat while you're there... it's a great butcher shop. they don't have a huge selection but the quality is there. -M

ctchandler
07-29-2013, 03:12 PM
Mmm,
I'm always in the market for good meat, so thanks, I will make sure I am loaded (cash, not booze) when I go. How do they compare to The Meat Market, or Kamp's, or Rhett's?
Thanks,
C. T.

do yourself a favor and pick up some meat while you're there... it's a great butcher shop. they don't have a huge selection but the quality is there. -M

Martin
07-29-2013, 03:31 PM
I'm always in the market for good meat, so thanks, I will make sure I am loaded (cash, not booze) when I go. How do they compare to The Meat Market, or Kamp's, or Rhett's?

i'd say that artisan's pride has a smaller selection than those three. in my opinion, rhett's has the best customer service and artisan's pride is on the same level... they just genuinely seem to want your business. i wish i could say i've tried their steak but haven't gotten around to it. they grind their own sausage and the italian and breakfast sausages i had were excellent. both are available in bulk or in casings. most places grind the pork really fine, but i like that it's a bit more coarse at artisan's pride. the short ribs i purchased turned out really well. they do accept credit card. overall, i don't think i'd pass over the places you mentioned to make a special trip to norman but it's a great place for the area. -M

Roger S
07-29-2013, 03:53 PM
Yeah, pretty much what mmm said.

I'm not sure anyone has the selecton of Prime meat that Rhett's has and you don't get mashed potatoes to go with your steak anywhere else I know of either.

ctchandler
07-29-2013, 04:53 PM
Mmm,
Not making a special trip, I'm taking my knives in for sharpening. While I am there, I might as well check out their main product and I never turn down a good steak.
C. T.

overall, i don't think i'd pass over the places you mentioned to make a special trip to norman but it's a great place for the area. -M

ctchandler
07-29-2013, 04:56 PM
OKBBQEA,
I have traded at Rhett's since he opened and before that I traded at Cusack's, same location they just left the retail business. I don't remember any mashed potatoes, but it doesn't surprise me that he offers them. Also, The Meat Market in Edmond offers a lot of vegetables and things, so they probably have mashed potatoes as well.
C. T.

Yeah, pretty much what mmm said.

I'm not sure anyone has the selecton of Prime meat that Rhett's has and you don't get mashed potatoes to go with your steak anywhere else I know of either.

Prunepicker
07-29-2013, 06:52 PM
Do any of those aforementioned meat markets have a 7 Bone roast?
Some call it an h bone.

Roger S
07-29-2013, 09:37 PM
Not that I've seen.... I think bone in roasts have become extinct.... Stupid boneless cows!

ctchandler
07-30-2013, 06:56 AM
Prunepicker,
I haven't looked lately, but I picked on up at Crest about a year ago.
C. T.

Do any of those aforementioned meat markets have a 7 Bone roast?
Some call it an h bone.

Prunepicker
07-30-2013, 03:05 PM
Prunepicker,
I haven't looked lately, but I picked on up at Crest about a year ago.
C. T.
I'll check them out.

ctchandler
08-26-2013, 08:55 AM
Off to Artisan's Pride, then I am taking my friend from London to Meer's for a burger, and up Mt. Scott. Probably go to Ft. Sill as well. I think I will pick up any meat I might want when I pick up the sharpened knives.
C. T.

ctchandler
08-28-2013, 07:35 PM
Excellent service. Knives are perfect and I am pleased. Thanks for all the tips, but Artisan Pride is my store from now on. I didn't get a chance to try the meat because we were going to be out all day but I will give them a shot before too long.
C. T.

MikeLucky
08-29-2013, 08:57 AM
That's good to know... Thanks for the information and review.

ctchandler
08-29-2013, 12:32 PM
WichitaSooner,
Your welcome, and I should mention that it was one day service and $5.00 (plus tax) per knife.
C. T.
That's good to know... Thanks for the information and review.