View Full Version : Local schools for Gifted/Talented elementary students

okc_bel_air
07-15-2013, 01:16 PM
Does anyone now of any schools in OKC area that have programs geared toward the gifted/talented student in the K-5 range? I know Classen School of Advanced Studies does but they do not start until the 6th grade.

I am a father of a 6yr old Twice Exceptional child and believe he will not get the education he deserves from the Deer Creek school district. He just finished kindergarten and has already tested out of 1st grade, they won't test any higher. He has a certified IQ score of 140+ and has amazed me this past year as he has started to shine. The tester stated he finished some parts of the exam that some high schoolers could not.

His mother and I want him to get him in a program but have not found any programs in the OKC area that start with elementary age school children.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks

OKCTalker
07-15-2013, 01:39 PM
Have you tried some of the private and parochial schools? Casady, Heritage Hall, Christ the King and Westminster Presbyterian come to mind. I don't know if they reach all the way to K, but I think they get to 1.

Good luck - we need all the well-educated smarties we can get!

stlokc
07-15-2013, 02:39 PM
I went to Casady and it has exceptional programs in the early years. It does start with pre-K. I know Westminster is an excellent school that likewise starts in pre-K. Heritage too, although it pains me to say it LOL (just kidding)