View Full Version : Barking Dogs...

Gene
07-13-2013, 09:29 PM
I debated posting about this because it's mostly whining. I may be in a no win situation, and if it's alright, I'd like to share. Maybe you guys have some experience with this?

My next door neighbor has a dog that barks constantly, but especially at night. I mean that thing will wake me from a dead sleep at 3am. It's like that episode of Seinfeld (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyVFv7AdJ-0)

I am at the point where I may have to go next door and ask him/them if they can do something about it. Now, I don't fear confrontation, but I don't like upsetting my neighbors. Also, I'm dreading this because I doubt they have many options. They're renters, so it's entirely possible that the dog is outside 24 hours because they aren't allowed to have pets inside. This doesn't leave many options.

My only stick in this is OKC code enforcement. They do issue citations for barking dogs (I looked it up). But if I call code enforcement they may take a look at my garage and decide it needs new paint (which is what they did to my other neighbor) or tell me my trees need trimming, who knows what I could end up with.

Also if I call code enforcement and it upsets my neighbor, as it would upset anyone, suddenly he's calling code enforcement on me.

BTW, I have two dogs. They don't bark outside. They don't even bark when the neighbors' dog is barking. The only time they bark is when someone comes to the front door. I like it that way.

RadicalModerate
07-13-2013, 09:43 PM
One of these worked really well for me . . .

http://roxythetravelingdog.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/P1080172-768x1024.jpg

SoonerDave
07-13-2013, 09:46 PM
Hoo, boy, I can empathize with ya, at least from when I was a kid.

Our next door neighbor had a dog.

The. Dog. Barked. Constantly.

Every night.

All night.

Unfortunately, my dad was schooled in the fine art of neighbor relations by some curious cross between Adolf Hitler and Gordon Ramsay. He knew nothing of tact. He blew over one day, threatening up one side and down the other, and took them to court when (surprise) they didn't oblige. The result was a standing $50/day fine each time the dog was reported to the city as barking excessively at night. Something happened that allowed cooler heads to prevail, either involving the dog shutting up, or my dad getting a grip, or both. I honestly don't remember - that was 35-plus years ago. It was also amid the warfare waged by my dad with the neighbors down the street for the bus they parked aside their house, or the neighbors to the south for.....whatever. You get it. Yeah, he was that guy. Probably still is, for all I know; haven't spoken 20 words to him since he walked out. But I digress....

The point is its a no-win situation. Don't gripe and you don't sleep. Gripe and you alienate the neighbors. Frustrating thing is that its the neighbors' problem, and you're the one forced into the position of being a bad guy.

Best thing I can suggest is to head to the store, grab a pie or cake, go visit your neighbors as pleasantly as you can, and broach the subject as kindly as you can. Ask them "hey, is there anything you can do to help me, here?"

Just don't do it like my dad did.

Gene
07-13-2013, 10:33 PM
Unfortunately, my dad was schooled in the fine art of neighbor relations by some curious cross between Adolf Hitler and Gordon Ramsay. He knew nothing of tact. He blew over one day, threatening up one side and down the other, and took them to court when (surprise) they didn't oblige. The result was a standing $50/day fine each time the dog was reported to the city as barking excessively at night. Something happened that allowed cooler heads to prevail, either involving the dog shutting up, or my dad getting a grip, or both. I honestly don't remember - that was 35-plus years ago. It was also amid the warfare waged by my dad with the neighbors down the street for the bus they parked aside their house, or the neighbors to the south for.....whatever. You get it. Yeah, he was that guy. Probably still is, for all I know; haven't spoken 20 words to him since he walked out. But I digress....

The point is its a no-win situation. Don't gripe and you don't sleep. Gripe and you alienate the neighbors. Frustrating thing is that its the neighbors' problem, and you're the one forced into the position of being a bad guy.

Best thing I can suggest is to head to the store, grab a pie or cake, go visit your neighbors as pleasantly as you can, and broach the subject as kindly as you can. Ask them "hey, is there anything you can do to help me, here?"

Just don't do it like my dad did.

I actually laughed reading this! Thank you.

And that's probably a good suggestion, only since they're college kids (I think) I'll go over with a six pack of liquor store beer.

Gene
07-13-2013, 10:37 PM
One of these worked really well for me . . .

That looks like a great suggestion, but I'm hung up on the idea of spending $40 on it. What a stinker that I should pay $40 when it's my neighbors dog that won't shut up. I'll start with Dave's suggestion, and if that doesn't work I'll give this a try. I can always take it back, and who knows, it may help other dogs in the future. It is a rent house after all.

RadicalModerate
07-13-2013, 10:51 PM
While considering the purchase
of a Sonic Egg,
here is a little poem
to which you might relate =)

Another Reason That I Don't Keep a Gun in the House
by Billy Collins

The neighbors' dog will not stop barking.
He is barking the same high, rhythmic bark
that he barks every time they leave the house.
They must switch him on on their way out.

The neighbors' dog will not stop barking.
I close all the windows in the house
and put on a Beethoven symphony full blast
but I can still hear him muffled under the music,
barking, barking, barking,

and now I can see him sitting in the orchestra,
his head raised confidently as if Beethoven
had included a part for barking dog.

When the record finally ends he is still barking,
sitting there in the oboe section barking,
his eyes fixed on the conductor who is
entreating him with his baton

while the other musicians listen in respectful
silence to the famous barking dog solo,
that endless coda that first established
Beethoven as an innovative genius.

betts
07-13-2013, 11:13 PM
The Sonic egg works. There's a far cheaper version at Petsmart but I don't know its range. It made one of my dogs totally neurotic so we had to stop using it but I suspect that is not a major concern of yours. I

Gene
07-14-2013, 12:12 AM
HAHA, no concern of mine, you got that right.

stick47
07-14-2013, 06:10 AM
Had this problem when we first moved in here. Didn't want to confront the neighbors so I used earplugs. The dog was a rescue dog that had been abused so had a distrust of people. Roll forward a few months and the dog is fine. I feel lucky to have a dog next door that's tuned in to what's going on. (esp b/c I'm not buying the food or paying the Vet) :D

kevinpate
07-14-2013, 06:34 AM
.. since they're college kids (I think) I'll go over with a six pack of liquor store beer.

In a world where pups are at times excessively loved, and self esteem is damaged more easily than Kermit the frog in a blender, one should tread lightly on the delivery of beer to college students of indeterminate age.

BBatesokc
07-14-2013, 06:37 AM
I had this on a couple of occasions with my neighbors at my previous home.

Personally, I'd suggest talking to the dog owner in a very civil manner. Keeping in mind not to get heated, threatening or rude. Just be neighborly and let them know you just assumed they were unaware and wanted to let them know.

At the end of a 2-20 minute conversation you'll know where you/they stand on the issue.

This may solve it right then and there.

If they refuse, then I'd move on to reporting the annoyance to the city AND police. Making sure to make it clear you are willing to sign a citation against the neighbor.

If its in Oklahoma County then I'd look the address up on the assessor's website and see who the home owner is and contact them too. They may be more reasonable (you can look them up for other counties too either on line or simply by calling your local assessor).

It stinks but you shouldn't put up with a neighbor who interferes with your quality of life.

Our previous home was in a poor area with lots of crime and home values only in the $70's-90's. However, our cup-de-sac was very nice and quiet, and that was only because myself and a few other neighbors were dead set against allowing the street to degrade to the surrounding areas. We had more than one section 8 occupant evicted and more than one dog silenced in the 14 years we lived there.

However, moving to nicer digs doesn't mean better dog owners.

We are in ArrowHead Hills in Edmond on 2.42 acres and just last week our long haired Chihuahua was attacked by two much larger dogs after the dog owner was walking them and took them off leash so they could run and jump into our pond and run back to the owner. We racked up a pretty good vet bill (could have been far worse). We had to have a very uncomfortable conversation with our neighbor (3 lots down). The wife was willing to take 'some' responsibility, but the husband was not. They finally agreed to pay 50%. Never had anything happen to our dogs in the old neighborhood and we all pretty much let our dogs run wild on the cup-de-sac whenever we were doing yard work.