View Full Version : It's Twinkies' comeback day at Wal-Mart

Prunepicker
07-13-2013, 08:23 PM
Maybe Walmart isn't so bad afterall.

From CNN Money (http://money.cnn.com/2013/07/12/news/companies/walmart-twinkies/)
Wal-Mart is rolling out the first batch of new Twinkies in 1,600 stores
on Friday. And by Sunday, Twinkies will be available in 3,000 Wal-Mart
(WMT (http://money.cnn.com/quote/quote.html?symb=WMT&source=story_quote_link), Fortune 500 (http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/fortune500/2012/snapshots/2255.html?iid=EL)) stores, according to company spokeswoman
Veronica Marshall.

Wal-Mart is selling Twinkies in an exclusive collectible box that says
"First Batch" on the packaging and has the new Twinkies tagline:
"The Sweetest Comeback in the History of Ever." They cost $2.98
for a box of 10.

"These are the first Twinkies since production restarted," Marshall
said. "Each box that arrived to us contains fresh Twinkies and not
frozen ones."

Prunie ed: I like Twinkies. They're my favorite health food.

Just the facts
07-13-2013, 09:28 PM
I wouldn't eat a Twinkie from Walmart if it was the last one - I sure won't do it for the first one. I'll wait until it is in a store that doesn't drive up my taxes.

Prunepicker
07-13-2013, 11:21 PM
I like Twinkies. In fact I'd almost agree to a tax increase if they'd return to
the recipe of the 50's.

Wasn't their motto, "helps build strong bodies 12 ways"? I believe so.

MWCGuy
07-14-2013, 01:49 AM
There have been 47 varieties of knock offs out before and after Hostess stopped making them. It's sponge cake and cream. If you couldn't find one that could take the place of the Twinkee, your probably not going to be that impressed by the new one either. Not to mention, if your making plans to be the first one with a box of Twinkees in your neighborhood.... Let's be honest it's time to get a new life.

Plutonic Panda
07-14-2013, 03:14 AM
I'm going to be honest here, I have never had Twinkies and ever since they went out of busines, I've been wanting them more than ever for some reason. I'm curious to see how they taste.

Plutonic Panda
07-14-2013, 03:16 AM
I wouldn't eat a Twinkie from Walmart if it was the last one - I sure won't do it for the first one. I'll wait until it is in a store that doesn't drive up my taxes.
They are available in a few other stores as well.

BBatesokc
07-14-2013, 08:13 AM
My experience with Twinkies is when we'd make them as a ghetto short cut to strawberry shortcake.

Simply spoon on some thawed sliced strawberries in syrup and walla!

kevinpate
07-14-2013, 08:31 AM
Twinkies .... one of those little treats that get slipped to the sibling's children as a secret snack shortly before one says adios and gets in the car and heads on out.
Growing up, we had some really great uncles. Wasn't until I was older that I understood why mama was less impressed with them than we boys were.

my brothers and I didn't continue the secret sugar rush game. But man, oh, man could we find toys that made really irritating sounds when the kiddos were small.

nighttrain12
07-14-2013, 12:03 PM
They taste great to me though it appears they are a little smaller than before. I could be wrong about that.

kevinpate
07-14-2013, 03:57 PM
lo-cal version?

Just the facts
07-14-2013, 04:05 PM
There have been 47 varieties of knock offs out before and after Hostess stopped making them. It's sponge cake and cream.

Since we have two boys in the house we always keep some sort of snake cake in stock (usually was something from Hostess). During the great Twinkie famine we started buying the Sara Lee golden cakes. They are what I remember the Twinkie to be from my childhood. We will probably just stick with those.

http://media.shopwell.com/gladson/00076515001146_full.jpg

Plutonic Panda
07-14-2013, 04:29 PM
You sure you wouldn't want the great value Walmart brand crime cakes??? ;)

Larry OKC
07-15-2013, 03:39 PM
They taste great to me though it appears they are a little smaller than before. I could be wrong about that.
According to the maker, they are smaller than before (a change that they say was instituted by the previous company right before they vanished).

lo-cal version?
Last week I picked up a package of Lemon Great Value ones that had 6 in the box and were marketed as having fewer calories etc. That is because the cakes were at least 25% smaller and had virtually no filling in them (certainly not what was pictured on the box). Didn't even come close to filling up the regular sized box. Misleading packaging to be sure. Can't recall the exact price I paid, but they were definitely not a "Great Value" for the money. Am generally pleased with most of the Great Value and Sam's Choice products, but these were a major disappointment.

Tried to get Twinkies at Walmart this weekend but they were sold out (only had some sort of chocolate cake and those mini-powdered donuts).

Larry OKC
07-15-2013, 03:41 PM
I like Twinkies. In fact I'd almost agree to a tax increase if they'd return to
the recipe of the 50's.

Wasn't their motto, "helps build strong bodies 12 ways"? I believe so.

Think that was Wonder Bread???

Larry OKC
07-15-2013, 03:42 PM

What????

Prunepicker
07-15-2013, 07:36 PM
Think that was Wonder Bread???
Didn't Wonder Bread make Twinkies?

nighttrain12
07-15-2013, 09:26 PM
Didn't Wonder Bread make Twinkies?

Hostess makes Twinkies, and also made Wonder Bread which went away when Hostess shut down.

RadicalModerate
07-15-2013, 09:56 PM
In celebration of The Second Coming some personal appearances have been scheduled . . .
http://cdn.ientry.com/sites/webpronews/pictures/twinkiescommandments_320x245.jpg

p.s. It was possible to compress a loaf of Wonder Bread into a sphere about the size of a golf ball.

Just the facts
07-15-2013, 10:36 PM
Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post

I wouldn't eat a Twinkie from Walmart if it was the last one - I sure won't do it for the first one. I'll wait until it is in a store that doesn't drive up my taxes.What????

That was a case of thread cross-pollination. WalMart intentionally pays their employees so low that they qualify for a myriad of government programs - which is essentially using taxpayer funds to supplement their payroll costs. Quick example - there was a recent article that Walmart was moving all their employees to part-time so they didn't have to comply with Obamacare. The truth is, Walmart supported Obamacare so they could unload even more of their costs on the taxpayer.

Anyhow - if you want to discuss it here is the thread. This thread is about Twinkies and I took it of course far enough :).

http://www.okctalk.com/ask-anything-about-okc/34373-top-5-stores-retail-grocery-otherwise-you-wish-we-had-okc-2.html#post662142

Bunty
07-16-2013, 02:10 AM
I like chocolate, so always bought Hostess Cupcakes over Twinkies. For a treat, though, I've found Reese's Peanut Butter Cups to always be my favorite.

Bunty
07-16-2013, 02:18 AM
That was a case of thread cross-pollination. WalMart intentionally pays their employees so low that they qualify for a myriad of government programs - which is essentially using taxpayer funds to supplement their payroll costs. Quick example - there was a recent article that Walmart was moving all their employees to part-time so they didn't have to comply with Obamacare. The truth is, Walmart supported Obamacare so they could unload even more of their costs on the taxpayer.

Don't you have to have at least one kid and/or disabled before you can start getting much support from the government? Anyway, the country needs to go to a health care system that takes the employer fully out of the picture. Insurance companies surely had a hand in creating ObamaCare to make sure nothing like a single payer system came about.

RadicalModerate
07-16-2013, 05:50 AM
Is all this talk about "health care" and so forth a subliminal call to ban Twinkies (and their ilk)?

Prunepicker
07-16-2013, 11:27 PM
I plan to buy several packages, if not boxes, and deep fry them. My doctor
told me that my cholesterol was dangerously lower than 200 and my blood
pressure was skyrocketing at 119/70. Naturally I'm concerned.

RadicalModerate
07-17-2013, 07:08 AM
If you deep fry the packages and/or boxes won't you avoid the health benefits associated with their contents?
Unless you fry them in lard . . . ?

Just the facts
07-17-2013, 07:12 AM
The new Twinkies are smaller so you will have to eat more to get the same health benefit.