View Full Version : Family member identifies victim shot by OKC Police outside concert

nighttrain12
07-12-2013, 04:24 PM
I wonder if the 24 year old young man who was killed had a permit to carry the gun he had on him?

Family member identifies man shot by Oklahoma City police | News OK (http://newsok.com/family-member-identifies-man-shot-by-oklahoma-city-police/article/3861642)

http://cdn2.newsok.biz/cache/w300-f9f811cfdaf37cfed494709040c60d9c.jpg

MustangGT
07-12-2013, 05:01 PM
Doubtful. Media is reporting he had a criminal record.

nighttrain12
07-13-2013, 11:49 AM
Here's a few more facts about the incident from KOCO. I haven't seen a report that the deceased young man had a criminal record.

Man in car killed in OKC officer-involved shooting near rap concert - Oklahoma City - OKC - KOCO.com (http://www.koco.com/news/oklahomanews/okc/authorities-investigate-officerinvolved-shooting-at-farmers-market/-/11777584/20947730/-/148filiz/-/index.html)

grantgeneral78
07-13-2013, 06:16 PM
Yes by all reports he was no saint and had a lengthy record, so it sounds pretty cut a dry.

mugofbeer
07-14-2013, 08:34 AM
Yes by all reports he was no saint and had a lengthy record, so it sounds pretty cut a dry.

So, the guy was passed out or asleep in the car and they yelled at him to "FREEZE?" Uh-oh, the media needs another race-tainted trial to focus on. I hope this one doesn't get caught up in the current.

hoya
07-19-2013, 09:38 AM
No criminal record I can find. A few arrests 4 years ago, but no charges ever filed. Might have been for unpaid tickets or something.

grantgeneral78
07-20-2013, 02:07 AM
I am sure the media has better access to those records than we do. I am sure he was just picking up some skittles there.

WilliamTell
07-20-2013, 04:05 AM
The report said no record In any state, so what am I missing?

So.from these reports, he was sleeping.in a.car cops woke him up with guns drawn he yelled at.them because.he was.startled.and they opened fire?

I'm assuming he didn't have a permit, but with open carry laws how could cops now.before they ask? I look nothing like this Guy, but that's why I refuse to open carry wayyy to dangerous for any male under 65. From cowboy to hiphop nerd.

BBatesokc
07-20-2013, 05:22 AM

Certainly then you can point to one or two of those 'reports' that show he was no saint AND had a lengthy [criminal] record????

Wait..... you can't, because they don't exist. Could your bias be any more blatant?

I am sure the media has better access to those records than we do. I am sure he was just picking up some skittles there.

Actually, no, the media has the exact same access to criminal records as you and I. I pull background checks on people on a regular basis and it doesn't require press credentials.

As for the 'Skittles' inference - I tried typing a few different responses, but I couldn't tone them down enough to be acceptable to the mods I'm sure.

The only dark cloud over this youth is the fact he had a weapon on him that was exposed and there is no immediate reason to believe he was licensed to carry it as his parents have already expressed dismay that he even had a weapon.

That said, as pointed out, being this is an open carry state, how could the police have known that unless/until they spoke to him.

No idea if the shooting was justified or not - could be a simple case of really bad (or really vague) reporting by the media.

Regardless, there is zero excuse for the asserting of lies as a cover for one's one prejudice.

kevinpate
07-20-2013, 07:36 AM
note to self - never nap in the car in the metro again, just in case.

(often neither coherent nor cheerful when I am abruptly roused from sleep)

hoya
07-20-2013, 09:40 AM

I bet you ten dollars that I have better access than they do.

grantgeneral78
07-21-2013, 06:22 AM
Certainly then you can point to one or two of those 'reports' that show he was no saint AND had a lengthy [criminal] record????

Wait..... you can't, because they don't exist. Could your bias be any more blatant?

Actually, no, the media has the exact same access to criminal records as you and I. I pull background checks on people on a regular basis and it doesn't require press credentials.

As for the 'Skittles' inference - I tried typing a few different responses, but I couldn't tone them down enough to be acceptable to the mods I'm sure.

The only dark cloud over this youth is the fact he had a weapon on him that was exposed and there is no immediate reason to believe he was licensed to carry it as his parents have already expressed dismay that he even had a weapon.

That said, as pointed out, being this is an open carry state, how could the police have known that unless/until they spoke to him.

No idea if the shooting was justified or not - could be a simple case of really bad (or really vague) reporting by the media.

Regardless, there is zero excuse for the asserting of lies as a cover for one's one prejudice.

It is obvious you have no clue on what your version of what happened that night and your bias AGAINST our police force that risks there life everyday for YOU. I have no dog in this fight and by no means am not prejudice against any race, but you better get your facts straight before you start trashing someone. The guy stepped out of the car with a gun showing the cops told him to raise his hands and he refused and started cursing the officers and apparently he was acting in a threatening manner. I am sure you would have acted different in that case though....yeah right!

BBatesokc
07-21-2013, 06:30 AM
It is obvious you have no clue on what your version of what happened that night and your bias AGAINST our police force that risks there life everyday for YOU. I have no dog in this fight and by no means am not prejudice against any race, but you better get your facts straight before you start trashing someone. The guy stepped out of the car with a gun showing the cops told him to raise his hands and he refused and started cursing the officers and apparently he was acting in a threatening manner. I am sure you would have acted different in that case though....yeah right!

Then why don't you clue me in smart guy..... You posted on 7/13 that by all reports the young man had a lengthy criminal record. Where are these 'by all reports' on or before your post?? Can you produce ANY let alone show that 'ALL' reports state that by the time of your post?

Then you follow up with some ridiculous statement that the media has some sort of better super secret access to criminal records than you or I - which is completely false.

Yeah, I'm the clueless one in this debate.

grantgeneral78
07-22-2013, 05:34 AM
Then why don't you clue me in smart guy..... You posted on 7/13 that by all reports the young man had a lengthy criminal record. Where are these 'by all reports' on or before your post?? Can you produce ANY let alone show that 'ALL' reports state that by the time of your post?

Then you follow up with some ridiculous statement that the media has some sort of better super secret access to criminal records than you or I - which is completely false.

Yeah, I'm the clueless one in this debate.

Yes the press did report that he had a record, keep up on your local news it helps you keep up on current affairs which obviously you have not done.

Yes just ignore the facts of what REALLY happened that night....you have no grounds to stand on do you?

Also yes you are clueless.

BBatesokc
07-22-2013, 06:06 AM
Yes the press did report that he had a record, keep up on your local news it helps you keep up on current affairs which obviously you have not done.

Yes just ignore the facts of what REALLY happened that night....you have no grounds to stand on do you?

Also yes you are clueless.

Yet, you still can't provide a single source to back up your preconceived ignorance. You know, the press have these things called websites where they post their stories.

OKCTalker
07-22-2013, 07:28 AM
Grant - Brian is simply asking you to provide the source of your claim. If it was a local news station in this market, then they apparently got it wrong (not a first, won't be the last). There's a lesson to be learned on trusting them in lieu of doing your own research which takes very little time when you've got the right tools.

Brian - you know how to find stuff. Care to share a couple of OSCN-like links where others can access information?

jerrywall
07-22-2013, 09:03 AM
News 9 has indeed stated repeatedly that he has a criminal record, but hasn't provided any details, links, or supportive information that I've seen.

BBatesokc
07-22-2013, 09:12 AM
News 9 has indeed stated repeatedly that he has a criminal record, but hasn't provided any details, links, or supportive information that I've seen.

Exactly. One quote from one station does not equate to all reports say he has a lengthy criminal record.

A ticket for littering could be interpreted as "he does have a criminal record." Which would be factually correct but terribly misleading and is a far cry from everyone reporting he has a lengthy criminal record.

Its crap like that that has caused the Zimmerman debate to be so far removed from the reality of the case as to be almost unrecognizable.

*And no, his run-ins and even arrests were not for 'littering' - I went ahead and ran a background on him. But that is all hindsight and was nothing the poster above knew anything about.

OKCTalker
07-22-2013, 09:13 AM

Media outlets run the risk of a libel suit if they can't back up an allegation like that. And these punks (personal opinion - THIS is my link!) are just the type to get a contingency lawyer to sue. KWTV needs to put up or get ready to lawyer up.

jerrywall
07-22-2013, 09:20 AM
Of course, and then I went and did a records search for Johnson County (where he's from) and found this - Disposition (http://www.jococourts.org/crdispo.aspx?which=12CR01236)

hoya
07-22-2013, 09:24 AM
He's not going to sue. He's dead.

Edit:

Looks like he pled to misdemeanor battery in Kansas. Doesn't really seem like a lengthy criminal record to me.

kelroy55
07-22-2013, 11:19 AM
He's not going to sue. He's dead.

Edit:

Looks like he pled to misdemeanor battery in Kansas. Doesn't really seem like a lengthy criminal record to me.

misdemeanor battery could be tossing an acorn at somebody.

jerrywall
07-22-2013, 11:31 AM
Well, whatever the actual offense was, it was enough for 6 months in jail, and a year probation (which he was still on when shot and killed). Are you allowed to own a gun while on probation?

BBatesokc
07-22-2013, 11:35 AM
Well, whatever the actual offense was, it was enough for 6 months in jail, and a year probation (which he was still on when shot and killed). Are you allowed to own a gun while on probation?

I'm pretty confident the gun was not being legally possessed.

I'm not saying the kid was a saint, and I certainly am not afraid to admit to profiling someone of any race. I just try and not let that cause me to assert things as fact that have yet to be vetted out.

Once the public has determined an individual is/was unworthy of justice, then justice becomes much more difficult to obtain.

jerrywall
07-22-2013, 11:41 AM
I'm pretty confident the gun was not being legally possessed.

I'm not saying the kid was a saint, and I certainly am not afraid to admit to profiling someone of any race. I just try and not let that cause me to assert things as fact that have yet to be vetted out.

Once the public has determined an individual is/was unworthy of justice, then justice becomes much more difficult to obtain.

Oh, I agree. I was only pointing out the record as a "clarification" of facts standpoint, and asking about the legality of the gun. As for the shooting itself, I'm interested in hearing more details, because it seems off from everything I've seen so far.

grantgeneral78
07-23-2013, 05:19 AM
Yet, you still can't provide a single source to back up your preconceived ignorance. You know, the press have these things called websites where they post their stories.

I had heard it several times on News9.