View Full Version : How the Me-Generation Ruined Modern Conversation

Prunepicker
07-11-2013, 08:00 PM
I'm mainly sending this to those of us over 50 years young.
Does this sound familiar?

Yes, it's from a BLOG so don't go ballistic on me about it. The
information is very relevant to today's youth, at least this is
my observation, and is rather accurate.

Prunie ed: There is obscene language on this BLOG.

From Violent Acres (a BLOG) (http://www.violentacres.com/archives/173/how-the-me-generation-ruined-modern-conversation/)
When I wrote my article on depression (http://www.violentacres.com/archives/169/most-people-are-depressed-for-a-very-good-reason), a lot of people went into
pointlessly long lectures about the difference between clinical
depression and sadness. They needn’t have done this; I know the
difference between clinical depression and sadness. I wasn’t trying
to claim they were the same thing. I was merely arguing that most
people are quick to assume depression when some honest self
examination might just reveal plain, old sadness. They say to
themselves, “I have a good job, plenty of money, a nice home, the
latest gadgets, and good looking kids. What reason do I have to be
depressed?”

Upon communicating these facts with their Doctors, while also
admitting to vague thoughts of suicide, the end result is a man in
a white coat who replies, “Good point. Here’s your pills.”

Prunie ed: I hope I made it clear that this is from a BLOG.

Mel
07-11-2013, 09:17 PM
Don't you know people are not responsible for their actions and everyone is a victim. :cool: For my high school graduation I got a handshake from my dad and a week later I was in boot camp. Never had to take a pill for that.

Prunepicker
07-11-2013, 09:50 PM
Hopefully you'll never need to take a pill except for recreational purposes.
:lol2:

MWCGuy
07-12-2013, 12:24 AM
I blame the absence of good role models and the absence of both parents being available to people as children. Very few people are taught how to survive a crisis anymore. Everybody expects to succeed and hardly anybody wants learn from failure. Then to top it off tough love is viewed as abuse instead of a motivation tool that encourages a person to do better. I was fortune to have plenty of tough love around me as a kid. Today I am a better adult because of tough love. Telling someone everything will get better with a positive attitude does not always lead to success. Sometimes you need that person motivating you like a drill sergeant to wake up that inner beast in you that thrives on achievement and success.

Life in general is really not all that hard. We can have just about anything we want in life especially in the United States of America. We just have to be willing to work for it and keep working at until we achieve the results we want. One never gets anywhere by feeling sorry for yourself and comparing your accomplishments and poessessions to those of others. We often fail to realize that everybody has problems and we each have our own ration of *#@! we have to digest everyday. Just because some appears to be living on easy street it does not mean their life is a mess behind the scenes. I have yet to meet a person that has the perfect life. Sure some try to sell us on the idea that they have the perfect life but, we all know those folks are like used car salesman trying to sell the biggest lemon on the lot. Sure everything looks great on the surface but, under the hood lies a bad engine, the wipers don't work, the horn don't blow and the radio only picks up the all polka channel.

Prunepicker
07-12-2013, 12:30 AM
I blame the absence of good role models and the absence of both parents
being available to people as children...
You are soooooo right. Too many want to be victims and to few want to
take responsibility.

Please excuse me while I vomit.

Thanx for the post.

Prunepicker
07-12-2013, 12:39 AM
I was a public school teacher. We were so limited in our role
to teach. While we were under the guise to TEACH and promote
learning we were expected to provide results. Even if we needed
to skew the outcome.

Kennedy was wrong and a total ass with his "No Child Left Behind" BS.
Oh wait, somebody else was supposed to be the blame for the lack of
education.

RadicalModerate
07-12-2013, 06:32 AM
Kennedy was wrong and a total ass with his "No Child Left Behind" BS.
Oh wait, somebody else was supposed to be the blame for the lack of
education.

Minor point of correction (verified by Wikipedia =):
"The legislation was proposed by President George W. Bush on January 23, 2001. It was coauthored by Representatives John Boehner (R-OH), George Miller (D-CA), and Senators Edward Kennedy (D-MA) and Judd Gregg (R-NH). The United States House of Representatives passed the bill on May 23, 2001 (voting 384–45),[6] and the United States Senate passed it on June 14, 2001 (voting 91–8).[7] President Bush signed it into law on January 8, 2002."

Could you clarify exactly who constitutes "The Me-Generation"?
I deal with The Public all day, every day and I see selfish, infantile behavior from people in all age groups.
It makes me think that "Idiocracy" was more of a prophetic glimpse of the future than a comedic satire.

OSUFan
07-12-2013, 07:37 AM
Maybe the previous generation should have been better parents.

SoonerDave
07-12-2013, 07:51 AM
We've allowed a generation to grow up seeking no spiritual depth, kicked God out of every aspect of life, abdicated the notion of parenthood, perpetuated the idea that the government owes you everything, created the notion that we should all bow to the god of "self-esteem," and then we wonder why there's emptiness that can't be solved by popping a pill (or popping a second pill when the first one doesn't quite do the trick).

wdj
07-12-2013, 08:00 AM
I feel like the article's an over-generalization of 'my people'. Not all of us are like that, FYI - just the vapid ones.

bandnerd
07-12-2013, 08:31 AM
Yeah, I'd like to know who the "me generationers" are. It's probably aimed at people my age? We were kind of the beginning of the self-esteem movement in the late 80's/early 90's. But, most of the people I know my age are self-reliant, self-assured, good at their jobs but humble about it, and good people. I have plenty of people to confide my problems to, and don't feel the need to send anything in to Post Secret or start a blog (had one for awhile, didn't take to it).

At work, I do my very best to genuinely listen to my students when they have a problem, or if they just want to tell me about something good that happened, and respond with as much knowledge and wisdom that I can. I'm not sitting there, "waiting for my turn," as this blog suggests we do now.

OKCisOK4me
07-12-2013, 03:40 PM
Pick better friends I guess? I don't have any of those issues with the people I chat with every day. Seems like a lot of sweeping statements in response to a small sample experience.

Seriously, if Person A is always interrupting Person B saying "guess what I did this weekend", do you think Person B is going to hang out with Person A very many more times? That would get annoying.

Sid, you don't have to tell us what you did this weekend. We all know you were at Skinny Slim's, lol. :tongue: