View Full Version : HB 1341 - Beer "Tours"

bradh
07-10-2013, 09:10 PM
First I apologize if this has been discussed elsewhere, I searched and didn't find anything.

After going back home to Texas this past weekend and spending 3 hours at my hometown brewery, sitting outside, listening to live music, and sampling locally brewed beer, I'm stoked that starting November 1st our local brewers will be allowed to do something similar

dated article from April It's official: Oklahoma beer sample bill signed into law | News OK (http://newsok.com/its-official-oklahoma-beer-sample-bill-signed-into-law/article/3840343)

So it appears this will be a little different than in Texas. Back home, you pay $5 to get in, and you are given 4 chips and a small sample glass. However, you can purchase a pint glass at the brewery, or bring your own from previous trips, and get those filled with your tokens in lieu of the sample glass.

In that article, it says these samples must be free and no more than 12oz per person per day. I'm hoping they can find ways around that to make weekend events at the breweries to attract crowds.

Anyhow, I guess it's baby steps in the right direction. Spare me the "the religious in this state won't let it get further than this." My pastor brews his own beer, don't paint with such a broad brush :)

adaniel
07-10-2013, 09:56 PM
Rejoice!

Would be great if COOP opened up a tasting room.

bradh
07-10-2013, 09:59 PM
Well I've seen on Facebook and Twitter that Anthem is building a facility. I'm be shocked if all brewers already distributing via packaged goods or on taps at local bars wouldn't take advantage of this.

bchris02
07-10-2013, 11:39 PM
Younger religious people are far less against alcohol consumption than the older generations. On the flipside, they are more likely to be strongly against cigarette smoking. I think we are reaching the end of an era where the religious right will be able to keep more liberal alcohol laws from making their way to the Sooner state. The real test will be wine in grocery stores in 2014.

As for this bill, every little bit helps. This is great news!

bombermwc
07-11-2013, 06:44 AM
AMEN Bchris02. Our liqour laws are incredibly stupid and really have no place existing. I'm a christian, but if i want to buy a bottle of wine on Sunday, why shouldn't I be able to? And if you're an aetheist, why should a Christian be able to force a subset's opinion on everyone else?

Remove the restrictions and let wine in the grocery stores like a normal state!

Spartan
07-15-2013, 10:39 PM
AMEN Bchris02. Our liqour laws are incredibly stupid and really have no place existing. I'm a christian, but if i want to buy a bottle of wine on Sunday, why shouldn't I be able to? And if you're an aetheist, why should a Christian be able to force a subset's opinion on everyone else?

Couldn't have been said any better, my friend. I'll drink to that.

Midtowner
07-16-2013, 01:02 PM

Everyone is in favor of smaller government. The ABLE commission could be deep sixed. Let local law enforcement deal with underage drinking.

Dubya61
07-16-2013, 01:11 PM
Everyone is in favor of smaller government. The ABLE commission could be deep sixed. Let local law enforcement deal with underage drinking.

If someone doesn't mind the teaching opportunity, what is the ABLE commission? Is it something that has regular parallels in other states, cities or the fed? What started it and, if it needs to go away, what is keeping it? Newton's law? If it's serving a unique, valid purpose, would there be a better, more logical entity to take over it's mission?

warreng88
07-16-2013, 01:54 PM
I'm a christian, but if i want to buy a bottle of wine on Sunday, why shouldn't I be able to?

I know you were speaking tongue in cheek, but Urban Wine works is able to sell wine (by the bottle) on Sunday. Not sure exactly how they get away with it, but I think it is because they also sell food and are open on Sunday. I think it is one of the only places where you can buy wine on Sundays.

jerrywall
07-16-2013, 02:04 PM
I know you were speaking tongue in cheek, but Urban Wine works is able to sell wine (by the bottle) on Sunday. Not sure exactly how they get away with it, but I think it is because they also sell food and are open on Sunday. I think it is one of the only places where you can buy wine on Sundays.

I believe any of the wineries can sell on Sundays. It's a little effort to get around the law, as a consumer, though.

Questor
07-16-2013, 08:21 PM
If someone doesn't mind the teaching opportunity, what is the ABLE commission? Is it something that has regular parallels in other states, cities or the fed? What started it and, if it needs to go away, what is keeping it? Newton's law? If it's serving a unique, valid purpose, would there be a better, more logical entity to take over it's mission?

It's a state agency responsible for regulating liquor sales and has law enforcement powers. So they're like food inspectors with guns. A fantastic combination. Many or most other states have comparable organizations. Some may not actually be law enforcement entities though. Some states they're more of a tax enforcement organization. Others more of a registration commission. Their federal counterpart would be the ATF.

A lot of states call them Alcoholic Beverage Commissions (ABCs). Do some Internet searches on that term to learn more.

BoulderSooner
07-17-2013, 10:39 AM

you can buy wine at any restaurant on a sunday .. drink an ounce .. and take the bottle home