View Full Version : Any vegetable gardeners?

Prunepicker
07-09-2013, 10:36 PM
I'm raising tomatoes, chives, red bell peppers, jalapenos, thyme, basil
and volunteer yellow squash and mint. Not much this year. Dangit!
I forgot to plant rosemary.

WilliamTell
07-10-2013, 07:22 AM
This is my kinda thread. Jalepenos, NM chiles, iceberg lettuce, cabbage, Rosemary, chives, cilantro, and 20 some odd strawberry plants. I stayed away from tomatoes this year because last summer, but this should be a good summer for those who did plant it. This has been a weird year. Last summer my pepper plants produced 1-2lbs a plant, this year hardly anything. I also semi regret not planting any cucumbers or zuchinni again. 2 years ago when we had a very wet summer I had monster plants, like foot long ones about 4-5 inch in diameter

WilliamTell
07-10-2013, 07:27 AM
Next year I'm going back to some.old staples. Asperagas do really well here, and i've had massive green bean harvest before. I also want to get back into potatoes and carrots. I would advise getting into drip irragation(you can get kits from Lowes for 30 bucks) if you are real.serious about it.

bandnerd
07-10-2013, 07:40 AM
Just tomatoes, a red bell pepper and a yellow bell pepper, chives, basil, parsley, and I have squash and zukes in the ground, but I'm having problem with vine borers and blossom end drop.

I had carrots earlier, but we ate them already. I'll have to try them again next year but with a different variety.

I don't have much space.

Martin
07-10-2013, 07:45 AM
i wanted to set up a small herb garden in my enclosed patio, so i started with a pot of mint and one of rosemary... apparently you have to water plants for them to survive. who knew. -M

WilliamTell
07-10-2013, 08:37 AM
Mmm you are better off planting directly in soil or in a larger pot. Those small herb ones (that look pretty) dry up way too fast.

Martin
07-10-2013, 08:55 AM
i see... i didn't get around to transferring them from the temporary containers i bought them in (i really do have a black thumb)... maybe i'll give it a shot again. how big of a pot should i get? the idea is to have a space where i can just go from my kitchen and snip off what i need, so planting directly in the ground isn't going to do that for me. -M

bandnerd
07-10-2013, 09:33 AM
i see... i didn't get around to transferring them from the temporary containers i bought them in (i really do have a black thumb)... maybe i'll give it a shot again. how big of a pot should i get? the idea is to have a space where i can just go from my kitchen and snip off what i need, so planting directly in the ground isn't going to do that for me. -M

Um, yeah, you can't keep them in the temporary pots. They get root-bound and die. Just put them in a slightly larger pot and water them daily, twice in the summer in a small pot if they are outside and get a lot of sun. You can find windowsill herb kits, if that's what you want, so they are in the kitchen. Mine are in big pots right outside my front door, which is by the kitchen. Very accessible.

Prunepicker
07-10-2013, 05:35 PM
... how big of a pot should i get? the idea is to have a space where i can just
go from my kitchen and snip off what i need, so planting directly in the ground
isn't going to do that for me. -M
Use as big of a clay pot as you can and fill it with good potting soil. They
also need sunlight.

Martin
07-10-2013, 06:06 PM
watering once a day is gonna be a dealbreaker... i know that i won't keep up with that. what do you guys think about self-watering pots? -M

JayhawkTransplant
07-10-2013, 06:24 PM
Get an aloe plant and harvest that for your friends with sunburns in exchange for fresh veggies or herbs from their garden!

WilliamTell
07-10-2013, 07:15 PM
watering once a day is gonna be a dealbreaker... i know that i won't keep up with that. what do you guys think about self-watering pots? -M

Shop Mister Landscaper Drip Irrigation Patio Kit at Lowes.com (http://www.lowes.com/pd_191775-1029-MLK-PWK_4294713122__?productId=1054543&Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNs%3Dp_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&facetInfo=)

is good for small setups, you can get timers to automatically come on and off. im a gan of mister landscaper products in general. so much water is wasted by ordinary watering.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xP5d2Jk2JwU&feature=c4-overview-vl&list=PLD2BCFBD08B28DDA8

WilliamTell
07-10-2013, 07:22 PM
i use this for vegtables, makes things so much easier. imho if you are looking for a quantifiable amount of vegetables to make gardening worth your time, drip irrigation is the way to go.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZbGpEe9rzM&list=PLD2BCFBD08B28DDA8

kevinpate
07-10-2013, 07:41 PM
My lovely is growing some 'maters, peppers, and not sure what else. I tend to not go near her garden, and sometimes she pretends my jokes are funnier than my face. This seems to work fairly well for us from year to year.

Prunepicker
07-11-2013, 04:26 PM
watering once a day is gonna be a dealbreaker...
Rosemary and mint don't need to be watered everyday. They are very
hardy.

UnclePete
07-11-2013, 05:02 PM
I am not a gardener, but does anyone know where you can buy home-grown tomatoes? Some of the ones at the various Farmers' Markets don't seem very home grown (taste-wise).

boscorama
07-11-2013, 06:21 PM
Check with Davison's greenhouse on E 2nd in Edmond. They had a sign up saying fresh veggies coming soon.

Prunepicker
07-11-2013, 06:54 PM
I am not a gardener, but does anyone know where you can buy home-grown
tomatoes? Some of the ones at the various Farmers' Markets don't seem very
home grown (taste-wise).
The Children's Center in Bethany has a Farmer's Market (http://www.farmersmarketonline.com/fm/TheChildrensCentersFarmersMarket.html) on Thursday and
Saturday. I haven't been there for a few years but everything I bought
was very good.

Prunepicker
07-11-2013, 07:04 PM
Just sprayed the squash with Sevin (ready mix in a bottle). I've seen what
those critters can do to a plant. The 'maters are looking very good. Some
of the Pear's are ripening. The Beefsteak's are green but producing. For
some reason the chives aren't taking off. Basil is doing fine and the Red
Bell's are starting to flower as are the squash.

I'll be experimenting with a squash salsa. I've won Blues at the County
and State with my peach salsa. Yes, I'm bragging.

BBatesokc
07-12-2013, 05:14 AM
This is our first year without a garden in the last 10+ years. At our old house we had two raised beds with tomatoes, strawberries, onions, and numerous herbs. We then had a side bed with several different types of hot and mild peppers.

Next year we plan on putting in a garden in the new house. Much more yard, so I'm marking out an area about 20x40'. Also have a 20' long greenhouse built on site at the back end so we can grow garden items and decorative annuals from seed.

Fortunately we are on a well and the sprinkler system is already setup to water the area where I plan to garden, the wife and I can't wait.