View Full Version : Lawn Watering in OKC - even, odd (for those who don't know)

Gene
07-09-2013, 08:35 AM
Some good info in case you aren't aware, OKC has rules on when to water your lawn. The stages of these rules depend on the water levels in the lakes.

We are currently in the first stage, which is to use even/odd watering - if your address ends with 0, 2, 4, 6 and 8 may water only on even number days, like July 10th. If your address ends with a 1, 3, 5 etc, you water your lawn on odd days, like July 11th. This also applies to cities that use OKC water, like Mustang.

Personally, I think our good fortune will keep us from facing stages 2 through 5, but if you're interested in seeing them, I laid it all out in a blog. If you find the article helpful, please click the buttons :donatello Donatello seems most appropriate here.

www.expressplumbingok.com/lawn-watering-schedule-in-okc (http://www.expressplumbingok.com/helpful-tips-from-the-profressionals/even-odd-lawn-watering-schedule-in-okc.html)

Midtowner
07-09-2013, 08:45 AM
I'm not sure a blog is the best place to get this information. I would suggest the city's own website.

Squeeze Every Drop > Home (http://www.squeezeeverydrop.com/)

I would, however, love for someone to explain to me why my Rainbird irrigation control box refuses to understand what odd/even means even when I've correctly set the dates and set it to even.

Gene
07-09-2013, 09:07 AM
I'm not sure a blog is the best place to get this information. I would suggest the city's own website.

I would, however, love for someone to explain to me why my Rainbird irrigation control box refuses to understand what odd/even means even when I've correctly set the dates and set it to even.

That all depends. I laid out the main stage in my post. For most people, that's enough. If anyone is interested in stages 2 through 5, I've provided a link to a blog where I've better formatted the info provided on OKC.gov. If someone is really really interested, they can visit Squeeze Every Drop (http://www.squeezeeverydrop.com/) where they can learn literally everything OKC wants them to know. All three are valid in my opinion so long as everyone knows.

The fines can go into the hundreds for a common mistake.

venture
07-09-2013, 09:26 AM
I have a feeling many don't realize the Odd/Even watering is permanent now in OKC all the time.

SoonerDave
07-09-2013, 09:46 AM
I have a feeling many don't realize the Odd/Even watering is permanent now in OKC all the time.

Yeah I think that change was kinda slipped in without much notice.

venture
07-09-2013, 10:01 AM
Yeah I think that change was kinda slipped in without much notice.

I guess it makes it easier to go after those neighbors that annoy you by turning them in. :)

onthestrip
07-09-2013, 10:26 AM

Ya I dont think my control box recognizes odd/even watering so I just program it to water 3 times a week (mon, wed, fri) early in the morning. Hope the city doesnt drive by at 3am.

Buffalo Bill
07-09-2013, 10:42 AM
The fines can go into the hundreds for a common mistake.

Got a neighbor who was dinged.

$202 for first offense. No kindly reminder or warning. Just pay up.

Doubt it's going to reduce water usage by any appreciable amount. Couple that with the fact that it's incompatible with all? of the older sprinkler controllers.

bandnerd
07-09-2013, 12:48 PM
The message was in the water bill last month, I believe. I remember reading it, though I had already read it online. I don't know if many people actually read all the junk they put in with your bills, though.

I'm about to just completely clear the sprinkler program and start over from scratch. It's the only way I can think of to reboot the system.

Gene
07-09-2013, 01:30 PM

Doubt it's going to reduce water usage by any appreciable amount. Couple that with the fact that it's incompatible with all? of the older sprinkler controllers.

Last year I got a warning to cut my grass. They warn you over the 40 dollar fines but not the $202 fines, go figure.

@Bandnerd - I get so much junk mail I've gotten in the bad habit of ignoring real mail. All of my bills are managed online, so I barely even look at what I get in the mail these days. Does anyone ever get a Cox Bundle card in the mail and think, "oh, hey, I hadn't realized I could save $8 by bundling cox services, Thanks 10x4 piece of cardstock!" :rolleyes:

GaryOKC6
07-09-2013, 01:47 PM
I was told by the city that you can water any day as long as you are using a hand held sprayer (hose). It is primarily focused on sprinklers I believe.

mkjeeves
07-09-2013, 01:58 PM
Ya I dont think my control box recognizes odd/even watering so I just program it to water 3 times a week (mon, wed, fri) early in the morning. Hope the city doesn't drive by at 3am.

I replaced mine with one from Home Depot that does. It's easier to program and has some other good features I didn't have before too. It will accept a rain sensor which I intend to get and install but in the meanwhile has a 24 hour or 48 hour rain delay button, which is handy. I'm good at turning it off for rain and then not turning it back on until my wife's flowers are dying. (I don't water the lawn, just the shrubs and flowers.)

Amazon.com: Orbit 4 Station Easy Dial Timer without Shroud (57854): Patio, Lawn & Garden (http://www.amazon.com/Orbit-Station-without-Shroud-57854/dp/B0055PNDWC)

Buffalo Bill
07-09-2013, 02:59 PM
I was told by the city that you can water any day as long as you are using a hand held sprayer (hose). It is primarily focused on sprinklers I believe.

Right. You can hand water as long as you are willing and able to stand and water.

rcjunkie
07-09-2013, 08:21 PM
I replaced mine with one from Home Depot that does. It's easier to program and has some other good features I didn't have before too. It will accept a rain sensor which I intend to get and install but in the meanwhile has a 24 hour or 48 hour rain delay button, which is handy. I'm good at turning it off for rain and then not turning it back on until my wife's flowers are dying. (I don't water the lawn, just the shrubs and flowers.)

Amazon.com: Orbit 4 Station Easy Dial Timer without Shroud (57854): Patio, Lawn & Garden (http://www.amazon.com/Orbit-Station-without-Shroud-57854/dp/B0055PNDWC)

I just replaced my Rain Bird Controller with a Hunter Controller, it has a built in rain and wind sensor, a little pricey but worth it.

SoonerDave
07-10-2013, 07:02 AM
Last year I got a warning to cut my grass. They warn you over the 40 dollar fines but not the $202 fines, go figure.

If they warn everyone, then they won't be able to collect as much. Fines are created in the expectation of being able to collect them. I hope I've finally got my little hose sprinkler timer set for every-other-day operation correctly, although I'll have to go through it all over again next month when we have two consecutive odd days...grumble.

Larry OKC
07-10-2013, 01:14 PM

And if it does, then the City will probably hit you with a low water usage surcharge (like they did with my mother). The City is expecting a certain amount of revenue, no matter if you use the product or not.

MikeLucky
07-10-2013, 01:54 PM
Lawn Watering in OKC - even, odd (for those who don't know)

Every time I see this thread title I envision:

law = http://readandreact.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/van_damme_dancing.gif

stratosphere
07-10-2013, 05:35 PM
how does this apply to other water related activities like washing one's car?

ljbab728
07-10-2013, 09:15 PM
how does this apply to other water related activities like washing one's car?

This will give you more details.

City of Oklahoma City (http://www.okc.gov/watering/)

bradh
07-10-2013, 09:23 PM
damn WichitaSooner...that's gotta be my favorite gif of all time :)

Just the facts
07-10-2013, 09:28 PM
Ya I dont think my control box recognizes odd/even watering so I just program it to water 3 times a week (mon, wed, fri) early in the morning. Hope the city doesnt drive by at 3am.

It depends on what type of water meter you have. Our meter has a wireless function that is powered by the water flowing through it and is connected to our water company. If it senses a few thousand gallons going through your meter at 3AM they are going to know you are watering your yard.

bradh
07-10-2013, 09:31 PM
It depends on what type of water meter you have. Our meter has a wireless function that is powered by the water flowing through it and is connected to our water company. If it senses a few thousand gallons going through your meter at 3AM they are going to know you are watering your yard.

Yeah OKC doesn't have that technology in their meters. Still reading them the old fashioned way.

trousers
07-10-2013, 09:38 PM
I'm about to just completely clear the sprinkler program and start over from scratch. It's the only way I can think of to reboot the system.

That's what I had to do with mine. It wouldn't reset so I cleared it all out.

OKCisOK4me
07-10-2013, 11:34 PM
damn WichitaSooner...that's gotta be my favorite gif of all time :)

Unfortunately, I'll never be able to watch Bloodsport again without laughing because of that!

stratosphere
07-11-2013, 05:33 PM
This will give you more details.

City of Oklahoma City (http://www.okc.gov/watering/)

thanks.

Prunepicker
07-11-2013, 07:17 PM
I suggest digging a well. I know this really, really old guy that has one
and his lawn is always green. He has a sign that say's "Private Well" or
something like that.

foodiefan
07-11-2013, 08:00 PM
. . .the thing that "bugs" me is in the past my system was set up to water T, Th, Sat. . .now I have go go either every other day which is more than I want. . or every 4 days (I'm an even house #). . .four days is not enough for my fescue under my trees. . .but every other day is not needed. . .wish I could do another timing. Oh well. . .I'll probalby do the 4 days and pray for a little rain in between??

Prunepicker
07-11-2013, 08:11 PM
Do you save your rain water? I have several 30 gallon trash cans along the
eaves of my home and use it to water my garden and potted plants. I
don't live in OKC but save the water so my bill will be less.

I don't know if you do this but if a green lawn was important to me I'd water
the lawn until it ran into the street then water it a couple more hours.
Maybe you can fill trash cans during the even days and have enough to
water your lawn.