View Full Version : Pooper Scoopers

Patrick
07-06-2005, 08:28 AM
Jerry Foshee is proposing a new law that would create a fine for those that allow their pets to defecate while on walks in public places. The idea of this law is to encourage people to carry pooper scoopers and clean up after their pets in public. This would supposedly clean up a problem we now have. What do you guys think?

Kelly Ogle wasn't in favor of the idea in his two cents.

When I went to Germany a few years ago, I remember they had strict laws concerning cleaning up after your pets. Could it work here? Germany also enforced the law too. I'm afraid this may be just another law that our already stretched police department won't be able to act on.

Personally, I agree with Mick Cornett here. I just don't think we could enforce such a law.

-------------
Official proposes rule to get pet owners to clean up their act

By Bryan Dean
The Oklahoman

An Oklahoma City councilman says he is tired of seeing city parks and neighborhood streets treated like a giant litter box.
Tosha Barber of Stillwater plays with her dog, Mason, at Paw Park in Oklahoma City. Guests are asked to clean up after their pets at the park. Photo by Bryan Terry
Ward 5 Councilman Jerry Foshee is proposing an ordinance to require pet owners to carry a plastic bag or other equipment to clean up after the animals when taking them for a walk.

Those caught violating the ordinance could be fined $200, plus court costs.

The council voted 7-2 Tuesday to set the ordinance for a final hearing at the July 19 council meeting.

Mayor Mick Cornett and Ward 8 Councilman Patrick Ryan voted against the ordinance, saying it is too broad and would be too hard to enforce.

Taking responsibility

The city's current laws require owners to clean up after their pets, but Foshee said the law is unenforceable because a police officer has to witness a dog defecate and watch the owner walk away before taking any action.

He said because the new ordinance would require pet owners to carry plastic bags or other cleaning materials, police officers could simply ask to see a pet owner's cleaning materials.

"At least it gives police officers a tool if it becomes a problem," Foshee said.

The city's current ordinance is similar to Tulsa's, but Foshee said New York City has a law similar to the one he is proposing.

He said several other cities require pet owners to carry cleaning materials in tourist areas.

Owners who took their dogs Tuesday to Paw Park, the city's dog park at 3303 NW Grand Blvd., said they wouldn't mind the new rule.

Brady Whisenhunt of Oklahoma City said he cleans up after his dog, Diesel, and expects others to do the same.

"It's part of being a responsible pet owner," Whisenhunt said.

Whisenhunt said he rarely sees owners deliberately not clean up after their dogs at Paw Park.

The park has several dispensers with free plastic bags and plenty of places to dispose of them.

The park also has several signs asking pet owners to clean up with slogans like, "If 'doody' calls, pick it up."

Still, the rule isn't always followed. Kristi Wohler of Oklahoma City said she often sees the rule violated when she brings her dog, Bosco, to Paw Park.

"It's not that hard to pick it up and find a trash can," Wohler said.

"I just use a plastic bag."

Foshee said he has had numerous calls from all over the city complaining about dog owners not cleaning up after their pets both on public and private property.

"We have beautiful parks, and it's a shame that some selfish individuals can cause a negative impact on our parks," Foshee said.

Some say ordinance won't solve problem

Other council members aren't convinced the new ordinance would be any easier to enforce than the current one.

Ryan said he walks in the mornings and recognizes the problem. But he doesn't see the new ordinance solving it.

"A good ordinance that is not enforceable is worse than no ordinance or a bad ordinance, because I think it creates in people's mind a disrespect for the law," Ryan said.

"Perhaps if the ordinance was more limited in nature, where it applies only in parks, the enforcement issue would be slightly more manageable."

Ward 1 Councilman Gary Marrs voted in favor of setting the ordinance for a final hearing later this month but said he is also concerned that it will be too difficult to enforce.

"I totally disagree with that," Foshee said. "It really just calls for common courtesy. People should be responsible ... and clean up after their own pets.""

Patrick
07-06-2005, 08:29 AM
Here's Kelly Ogle's Two Cents:

"Pooper scooper citations not needed

By Kelly Ogle
News 9

The following is a script from a News9 broadcast
I don't usually offer investment advice in these commentaries, but I'm just going to mention two words you do with it what you want dog poop.

More specifically "pooper scoopers".

You see Councilman Jerry Foshee, acting on numerous complaints, wants to require people who walk their dogs or cats to carry the necessary equipment to clean up those little land mines their pets might leave on the neighbor's lawn or sidewalk, or in a public park.

If you don't you could be ticketed up to $200.

I can see it in parks and public areas, but have we really gotten so up tight that we have to require it in our neighborhoods?

I'm meticulous about my yard, but even I don't get freaked out when I find a little free fertilizer dropped on the yard.

But I know people do.

I was taking my dog for his annual walk, and he stopped to do his thing on a neighbor's yard, I was caught empty handed.

When I started to walk off, the guy came out and lit me up.

He must have been hiding in the bushes on a poop patrol stakeout.

I don't think we need real police officers wasting their time handing out pooper scooper citations.

I'm Kelly Ogle and that's My 2 Cents."

mranderson
07-06-2005, 08:35 AM
Many cities have ordinances calling for citizens to "curb" their pets. In fact, some have VERY high fines for offending it.

Although I have violated the spirit of this proposal, I must admit, it is a good proposal. I just hope the fine is low because if my dog goes and I do not see it, I do not want to deplete my savings for an accident. I do think the officer should give the offenders owner a chance to elimnate the elimination and then warn them.

This would be putting someone on their (blank) list.

Patrick
07-06-2005, 10:18 AM
Again, I wonder how they're going to enforce this. Are we going to hire a slew of police officers to watch the habits of every dog around town?

mranderson
07-19-2005, 04:03 PM
The ordinance passed 5-4. It carries a maximum of a $200 fine and requires pet owners to carry a waste bag with them plus something to clean the litter deposited by their pets. Even on other people's private property.

Keith
07-19-2005, 04:10 PM
Again, I wonder how they're going to enforce this. Are we going to hire a slew of police officers to watch the habits of every dog around town?
I really don't see how they can enforce a law like this. They can hardly enforce some of the laws that are already in the book.

If dog owners were smart, they would carry a waste bag with them anyway. Fortunately for me, my dog takes short walks and takes care of her business in the backyard.....which I clean up every week.

travich
07-28-2005, 11:58 AM
Speaking of pooper scoopers, anyone know where to find a good one? Right now, I just scoop with my gardening shovel, which is quite the pain. I went to Walmart and they didn't have much and neither did the pet section of the Ace hardware store. I'll go to Petsmart, but I'm sure they're going to charge 50 dollars for a 5 dollar item. Petsmart = most overpriced store in the city. Glad they have some competition with Petco coming in...

mistress_x123
08-31-2005, 02:08 AM
I'm sorry but if I can clean up after me horses on the street when i ride them then other people can clean up after a dog ( smaller mess). I do it out of respect, my horses, my mess and my neiboirhood does not need to live with it in their yards or driveways. But when they are in the pasture next to my neihboirs then i try to keep the smell and over poo down. I look at it as my horses not their so they shouldn't have to live with it.

karlanee
08-31-2005, 10:19 AM
I'm with Mistress.

I have a dog that I regularly walk around places. Yes, he does poop - everybody does. However, I carry a leash with a roll of bags built into it. It's just awful that people cant' seem to take responsibility for their pets, themselves and their belongings. We are too much of a "me" society. Sad.

I don't see how the citations would work - how do you prove the poop came from a certain dog unless you catch them in the act?

In France they have these guys who wear all green, and drive green scooters with a little container on the back, they go around picking up "droppings" all day long. What a stinky job that would be. But, you never, or rarely see poop on the ground.

karlanee
08-31-2005, 10:25 AM
Travich,

My experience with PetSmart and PetCo (we have both in Edmond) is there is not that much difference in price between the two. I have found that PetSmart actually has a better selection of most of the things I want. PetCo has a lot of higher end, more quality pet foods though. That's just my experience. At first I was excited to have another option, but now since PetSmart is just around the corner, but PetCo is all the way across town, I don't find myself going to PetCo much, the difference is just not enough to make it worth the drive.

mranderson
08-31-2005, 10:26 AM
This is a scene from the motion picture "The Lonely Guy."

Cop: "Sir, may I see your drivers license? You're dog just pooped." (as he points to a pile on the ground)

Steve Martin: "That's not my dog's poop. THAT"S a landmine! My dog is this one." (points to a small dog)

The moral is. The cop did not see who owned the dog. Therefore, the citation he issued Steve Martin's character is not valid and would be dismissed due to lack of evidence. So. This ordinance is not enforceable in most cases.

The cop must see the incident and have proof the dog is owned by the person to whom he or she is issuing the citation.