View Full Version : The Best Chicken Fried Steak...

Pages : [1] 2 3

Gene
07-04-2013, 04:53 PM
I've been on a mission most of my life to find The Best Chicken Fried Steak.
The best chicken fry I've ever had was home cooked by my Aunt Esther. Of course, to keep the conversation universal, we'll need to limit ourselves to restaurants.

Top 5:
Denim's in Marietta - now closed - was a perfect stop for lunch on the way to Dallas.
Roz's Diner in Bethany - now closed - was a 50s theme diner, and the first place I ever had chicken fried steak.
Beverly's OKC - easily the most consistent chicken fried steak in the metro. Year after year, I know what to expect.
RJ's on Santa Fe - now closed - really knew how to flavor their batter.
Cattlemen's OKC - has the home-cooked taste you got from Denim's.

Honorable Mention:
Ann's Chicken Fry OKC - not as good as it used to be, but I've had so many great ones there it probably belongs on the list.

Please, enlighten me! Who's got my next fix?

Pete
07-04-2013, 05:02 PM
For quick, reasonable and decent, I like the Chuck House on 10th & Meridian.

Haven't had it but have heard great things about Kendall's in Noble.

Cheever's has a nice version with jalapeno cream gravy.

Gene
07-04-2013, 05:09 PM
I'm putting Kendall's and Cheever's on my list. Thanks

Easy180
07-04-2013, 05:20 PM
Another vote for Chuck House

BBatesokc
07-04-2013, 05:28 PM
My vote is for Cheever's (just because its different) and as a sandwich my favorite has always been the Moore Del Rancho.

s00nr1
07-04-2013, 06:46 PM
Kendall's in Noble without question.....especially when followed by their complimentary made from scratch cinnamon rolls for dessert.

kevinpate
07-04-2013, 07:31 PM
Kendal's is the best I've had in a while. Next locally is O'Connell's, but there's a bit of distance between the two.
What I miss, though I sure it is still out there somewhere, is the old style CFS, which involves a real cut of steak, dusted with merely a hint of egg and flour plus a dash of salt and a passle of pepper and then panfried into submission. Amongst the best I ever had in OK were in a long dead truckstop in Sunset Corner and a Amy's Diner in Poteau.

Martin
07-04-2013, 07:45 PM
i'm gonna join the dogpile for kendall's... back when i worked at ou, we'd get a volunteer to go down to noble and pick up orders for the whole department. good times. it's been a few years since i've been, but i'd assume they're still good.

What I miss, though I sure it is still out there somewhere, is the old style CFS, which involves a real cut of steak

i haven't tried this for myself, but kyle's 1025 in okc serves a cfs made with beef tenderloin... -M

Dustin
07-04-2013, 07:50 PM
My vote is for Cheever's (just because its different) and as a sandwich my favorite has always been the Moore Del Rancho.

I will second Cheevers! The jalapeno gravy really makes it.

Gene
07-04-2013, 08:18 PM
Kendal's is the best I've had in a while. Next locally is O'Connell's, but there's a bit of distance between the two.
What I miss, though I sure it is still out there somewhere, is the old style CFS, which involves a real cut of steak, dusted with merely a hint of egg and flour plus a dash of salt and a passle of pepper and then panfried into submission. Amongst the best I ever had in OK were in a long dead truckstop in Sunset Corner and a Amy's Diner in Poteau.

I get what you're saying. I like both thick batter / deep fried, and like you said a lightly breaded / pan fried (homestyle, in my opinion).

I think that's the difference between Beverly's and Cattlemen's respectively.

I miss some of the old truckstops that aren't around anymore. I can't remember any of the names, but there were ones I'd go out of my way to eat at.

soonerguru
07-04-2013, 08:21 PM
I have to agree about Cattlemen's. Their chicken fried steak is excellent -- and more reliable than their steaks.

Kendall's is also quite good.

I'll join in on O'Connell's as well. They make good chicken fry and their fish and chips are also quite good.

Bigrayok
07-04-2013, 08:35 PM
I like Ann's, Chuck House, Del Rancho, Cattlemen's, Texas Road House, and yes, Furr's. I wish we had a Babe's Chicken House here. I love their chicken, chicken fried steak, and sides.

Bigray in Ok

boscorama
07-04-2013, 09:06 PM
Lucille's in Mulhall does cfs/chicken well. Also, Delta Cafe in Edmond.

Agreed, Chuck House and Furrs.

rcjunkie
07-04-2013, 09:28 PM
Hands down, it has to be Cattleman's. I've tried Kendell's twice and i'll have to pass, heavy on breading, light on meat.

WilliamTell
07-05-2013, 04:55 AM

Its ok, but the best?

With that said - i have no problem admitting im a traditionalist when it comes to CFS.

WilliamTell
07-05-2013, 04:55 AM
Agreed, Chuck House and Furrs.

I really like chuck house.

soonerguru
07-05-2013, 11:44 AM
How does Del Rancho rate?

Dustin
07-05-2013, 02:11 PM
Its ok, but the best?

With that said - i have no problem admitting im a traditionalist when it comes to CFS.

It's my favorite.

The best traditional chicken fried steak would be Ann's Chicken Fry IMO.

BBatesokc
07-05-2013, 02:44 PM
How does Del Rancho rate?

As a sandwich I really like the Moore location - but as a streak on a plate - I'm not a big fan.

Gene
07-06-2013, 03:11 PM
I like Chuck House and I like Del Rancho. I go with them when I want something fast. Actually, I stopped going Del Rancho. It seems everytime they close a location the price goes up at all the remaining spots.

MadMonk
07-06-2013, 09:54 PM
I'd say Ann's, then Chuck House. However, I haven't had a lot of those listed above so I'm making a to-do list to be sure I'm not mistaken in my vote. :)

MikeLucky
07-07-2013, 01:29 AM
Kendall's in Noble.

/thread

Pete
07-07-2013, 01:11 PM
No love for Toby Keith's?

Never eaten there but CFS is featured prominently on it's menu and I know they serve tons of it.

How about Charleston's? Never had it there but the rest of their food is solid.

Gene
07-07-2013, 04:23 PM

Actually, yes. Toby Keith's does make a good chicken fry, and the service was remarkable.

However, neither was good enough to bring me back. The one I visited featured Toby Keith music videos playing non-stop on a giant projector. I'm sure he's a nice enough guy, but I can't stand his music. I'm not a country fan in general, but his is especially agonizing.

bluedogok
07-07-2013, 04:46 PM
Its ok, but the best?

I am too, my gravy doesn't need jalapeno and my mashed potatoes don't need chunks of garlic and onion, I want a traditional, old fashioned CFS when I eat one. I prefer Chuck House and Ann's, we never did find one to compare to those in Austin. Found some good ones but not quite there with any of them.

kevinpate
07-07-2013, 06:07 PM

I was misled once in Norman into trying their CFS. I agree there are numerous solid choices on the Charleston menu. However, the CFS there is not one of those solid choices.
I don't think I'd order another one even if it were offered up as a free meal. I'd rather pay for something I know I will like.

Jim Kyle
07-07-2013, 07:02 PM
How about Charleston's? Never had it there but the rest of their food is solid.The steak is too thin, the breading too thick, and it's too highly spiced for my taste -- but in its favor, it's huge.

I'm amazed that so far nobody has mentioned Swadley's. While they're best known for their barbecue, their CFS dinner is pretty doggone good, and quite traditional. I usually go to the one on Memorial...

soonerguru
07-07-2013, 07:04 PM

Never eaten there but CFS is featured prominently on it's menu and I know they serve tons of it.

Toby Keith's catfish is quite good. The CFS isn't quite as good.

Pete
07-07-2013, 08:09 PM
What about Don's Alley in Del City?

Here are some other potentially very good options:

Classen Grill
Nic's
West
Beverly's

Pete
07-07-2013, 08:19 PM
Irma's has a good CFS on their menu.

Tritone
07-10-2013, 08:29 PM
Had CFS at Cattlemen's today. It was pretty good, had a home-made feel about it. I like Del Rancho in Norman; the one in Tuttle was good, too. I'll have to try Kendall's. Now in those years I spent in the Texas panhandle...well there were a lot of places that realy knew what they were doing!

bradh
07-10-2013, 08:36 PM
Irma's has a good CFS on their menu.

I'm intrigued....time to branch out it appears

Pete
07-11-2013, 08:28 AM
I've heard raves about the CFS at Classen Grill. Anybody tried it?

Also, the newly revamped Bricktown Brewery (with new operators and menu) has CFS prominently featured.

Midtowner
07-12-2013, 07:19 AM
The Chicken & Fry at the Classen Grill is probably the city's best hangover food, hands down.

Debzkidz
07-12-2013, 07:55 AM
I am exceedingly picky about CFS. Cheever's is one of only a handful of places (outside of my own kitchen) and the only place in OKC, where I will eat it, and I absolutely love theirs. After seeing Del Rancho commercials for years, we finally went, expecting to find something really delicious. It was nothing but fried batter. Literally, the first few bites and no meat at all, and when we did get to the meat it was tough and gristly. We used to go to Annes Chicken Fry quite often. I tried theirs once, but it was nothing but a chicken fried hamburger patty. NASTY.

icecold
07-12-2013, 04:51 PM
+1 on Cheevers

sgt. pepper
07-17-2013, 12:05 PM
Had CFS at Cattlemen's today. It was pretty good, had a home-made feel about it. I like Del Rancho in Norman; the one in Tuttle was good, too. I'll have to try Kendall's. Now in those years I spent in the Texas panhandle...well there were a lot of places that realy knew what they were doing!

Where is the Del Rancho in Tuttle? I know Mustang has one.

sgt. pepper
07-17-2013, 12:06 PM
Toby Keith's catfish is quite good. The CFS isn't quite as good.

I don't know about the catfish....but the CFS at Toby Keith's is GREAT!

soonerguru
07-17-2013, 12:18 PM
I don't know about the catfish....but the CFS at Toby Keith's is GREAT!

I tried both recently and found the catfish superior in every way. Bad day?

RadicalModerate
07-17-2013, 01:22 PM
I miss some of the old truckstops that aren't around anymore. I can't remember any of the names, but there were ones I'd go out of my way to eat at.

There used to be a place over there at I-35 and SE 15th next to the old Transcon yard that served some pretty amazing plate dinners including chicken fried steak. I think it was called "Mary's Fine Dining" or something like that. Had really good rolls to sop up that gravy too.

Jim Kyle
07-17-2013, 03:11 PM
Wasn't that the Skyline? I never tried it but it had a reputation of being in the same league as Shipman's on S Robinson just past the underpass...

RadicalModerate
07-17-2013, 03:29 PM
Yes. It was the Skyline. "Mary's" was actually in an old house out there in Harrah. They used to serve a mean chicken fry . . . like that place in Choctaw. All I remember about Shipman's was the fried chicken and the endless baskets of rolls. But that was then and this is now . . . =)

ctchandler
07-17-2013, 04:39 PM
RM,
Shipman's had a good cfs and they weren't "rolls" they were biscuits! At least that's what they called them. I agree with you, they were rolls. I liked their endless supply of butter and when I was younger, the honey. There was also a Shipman's further West on Reno, but I don't think they were there long. My favorite at Shipman's was the open faced roast beef sandwich. I never ate at the Skyline but it was there for years.
C. T.
Yes. It was the Skyline. "Mary's" was actually in an old house out there in Harrah. They used to serve a mean chicken fry . . . like that place in Choctaw. All I remember about Shipman's was the fried chicken and the endless baskets of rolls. But that was then and this is now . . . =)

oilmud
07-17-2013, 08:03 PM
Davenport, ok. Dans BBQ

Martin
07-17-2013, 08:26 PM
did skyline close? last i knew, they were still open. -M

sgt. pepper
07-18-2013, 05:59 AM
I tried both recently and found the catfish superior in every way. Bad day?

SOLD...I'm getting the catfish next time, I will let the wife get the CFS. Now somebody needs to start a "best catfish in OKC" thread. :)

kevinpate
07-18-2013, 06:18 AM
They aren't in OKC, but Kendall's in Noble and Libby's in Goldsby will both put a smile on a catfish eater's face. Ozzie's at the airport in Norman isn't bad either.

sgt. pepper
07-18-2013, 10:29 AM
My wife and I definitely needs to check out Kendalls, too many good reviews on here.

kevinpate
07-18-2013, 12:21 PM
My wife and I definitely needs to check out Kendalls, too many good reviews on here.

First time I went, long ago, I had a why on earth are we going to Noble for lunch ... this is just silly mentality. Two things happened after that first trip. I was sold. And I was back many, many times. Thrilled me when they moved to Norman. saddened me when they left. Yet, they are now back where they belong, even if a tad less convenient than I would prefer.

ctchandler
07-18-2013, 01:38 PM
Kendalls is only 38 miles from home, so when my friend from London comes next month, we will take a drive down there and check out their cfs. My friend wasn't impressed with her first chicken fried steak, but it was at a chain, I think it was the Delta near Russellville, Ar. Maybe this will change her mind. If I sound like a cheapskate, I'm not, we have been all over the U. S. and to Ireland, Wales, Scotland, Cornwall, Amsterdam and Canada. My health prevents me from overnight travel now, so we are going on a lot of day trips this time.
C. T.

boscorama
07-18-2013, 06:56 PM
A few years ago I stopped eating CFS. The last one was at Lucille's in Mulhall. It was quality cfs but when swining it down it dawned on me that this stuff is actually rather gross :) From that day forward I get chicken fried chicken instead, provided it's not "chicken strip dinner" fingers, or any such. Lucille's has a way with chicken and the CFC didn't disappoint.

rcjunkie
07-18-2013, 07:03 PM
Where is the Del Rancho in Tuttle? I know Mustang has one.

It was at the light across from the football stadium on Main Street, it's been closed for 2--3 years.

rcjunkie
07-18-2013, 07:04 PM
The steak is too thin, the breading too thick, and it's too highly spiced for my taste -- but in its favor, it's huge.

I'm amazed that so far nobody has mentioned Swadley's. While they're best known for their barbecue, their CFS dinner is pretty doggone good, and quite traditional. I usually go to the one on Memorial...

Thanks for the tip, been to Swadley's dozens of times and never noticed they had CFS.

ljbab728
07-18-2013, 08:50 PM
SOLD...I'm getting the catfish next time, I will let the wife get the CFS. Now somebody needs to start a "best catfish in OKC" thread. :)

Too late. It's been done.

http://www.okctalk.com/food-restaurants/22727-best-catfish.html

soonerguru
07-18-2013, 10:00 PM
The catfish at Punkins in Pauls Valley is very good as well. I had it recently. Honestly, the catfish at Toby Keith's was arguably as good.

mikeareese
07-21-2013, 01:49 PM
I just ate at Cattlemans. The filet mignon was excellent, but the CFS lacked flavor. Also tried the Del Rancho in Norman on Lindsay. I was very disappointed. I didn't like Mimis Cafe either for CFS. I am going to have to try some of these other places.

Larry OKC
07-22-2013, 04:27 PM
I am exceedingly picky about CFS. Cheever's is one of only a handful of places (outside of my own kitchen) and the only place in OKC, where I will eat it, and I absolutely love theirs. After seeing Del Rancho commercials for years, we finally went, expecting to find something really delicious. It was nothing but fried batter. Literally, the first few bites and no meat at all, and when we did get to the meat it was tough and gristly. We used to go to Annes Chicken Fry quite often. I tried theirs once, but it was nothing but a chicken fried hamburger patty. NASTY.
Which Del Rancho did you go to? I have never experienced what you described at any Del Rancho. I have had what you described at Shorty Smalls though. The CFS at Toby Keiths is excellent, but the couple of times I had it (after they 1st opened, the gravy was sub par).

Garin
08-23-2013, 02:07 PM
Nic's has an awesome CFS pan fried with eggs and hashbrowns is the way i like it all smothered in gravy.

Mel
08-23-2013, 07:04 PM
Nic's has an awesome CFS pan fried with eggs and hashbrowns is the way i like it all smothered in gravy.

My Heart Doctor does not approve of this post. But I sure as heck do.;)

kevinpate
08-23-2013, 07:48 PM
My Heart Doctor does not approve of this post. But I sure as heck do.;)

I've already outlived a couple of my former docs.
I don't listen to the others as closely as I might oughta.

CFS - God's way of saying go, ahead, enjoy. we'll see ya soon enough anyhow.