View Full Version : Kevin Martin

SoonerQueen
07-02-2013, 06:12 PM
Kevin Martin has reached agreement with the Wolves on a four-year, $28MM deal, according to Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports (on Twitter). Sam Amick of USA Today (via Twitter) reported earlier tonight that Minnesota offered Kevin Martin a four-year deal in that vicinity. Martin is represented by Dan Fegan of Relativity Sports, according to the Hoops Rumors Agency Database.

Martin, of course, spent last season with the Thunder after coming over from Houston in the James Harden trade. The guard averaged 14.0 PPG while shooting 45% from the floor in 27.7 minutes per contest last season.

The Thunder were said to be seeking a sign-and-trade for Martin if they could not retain him, but they'll now watch the guard leave without anything in return

Easy180
07-02-2013, 06:17 PM
Not too surprising as apparently a few extra mil is often chosen over title chances...Good luck with winning division titles in Minn

dankrutka
07-02-2013, 06:25 PM
Martin was a really efficient player for the Thunder last season. Very under appreciated. However, this opens the door, barring a surprise free agent signing, to see what Jeremy Lamb can do. I also think Reggie is going to have a big year this season to help fill Martin's void.

Easy180
07-02-2013, 07:11 PM
Two pretty big question marks going into the season after this story...Can the Thunder find a 3rd scorer and will Westbrook play as aggressive after the injury

Stew
07-02-2013, 08:35 PM
Good for Kevin Martin. I wish him well.

dankrutka
07-02-2013, 09:04 PM
There's still a chance the Thunder pick up a scorer like Dorell Wright, but I expect Serge and Reggie to both score more next season. I'm not worried about Russ' aggressiveness. He didn't tear his ACL. He should be back to 100% from his injury well before training camp.

Richard at Remax
07-02-2013, 09:19 PM
Dan, I agree that he was efficient, but i have Never seen such a solid player just disappear in the second half as much as he did. Especially during the playoffs.

OKCisOK4me
07-02-2013, 09:39 PM
Wish K-Mart the best of luck. He's a good guy.

Anonymous.
07-02-2013, 10:00 PM
I like how people are still bashing Presti for the Harden trade. (not on this board, but on every other area I have seen this story)

I don't think people realize that at the short notice and time deadlines leading to the beginning of the season, Presti traded Harden for the best he could. Or else Harden would have simply signed with Houston and we get nothing.

At least we got Lamb out of the deal. Maybe now Brooks will be forced to change his mundane lineups.

dankrutka
07-02-2013, 10:21 PM
I still disagree with the Harden trade. I think it was an enormous mistake that might have cost us a title. We could have signed him and kept him 2 years (paying the tax the second year when his new contract kicked in) and still traded him for a lot. His value would have been sky high. It's not true that we had to trade him or get nothing. Anyway, no point in rehashing it anymore. I just disagree with that assumption.

zookeeper
07-02-2013, 10:43 PM
I like how people are still bashing Presti for the Harden trade. (not on this board, but on every other area I have seen this story)

I don't think people realize that at the short notice and time deadlines leading to the beginning of the season, Presti traded Harden for the best he could. Or else Harden would have simply signed with Houston and we get nothing.

At least we got Lamb out of the deal. Maybe now Brooks will be forced to change his mundane lineups.

I agree.

Didn't we also have one of the first three of our draft picks come from the Houston deal?

edit ----I just read two of the three and that's why they were so early. So, it was a fair trade for sure.

BoulderSooner
07-02-2013, 10:45 PM
Him averaging 17 ppg max would have gotten the thunder about the same in a trade.

Easy180
07-03-2013, 04:16 AM
There's still a chance the Thunder pick up a scorer like Dorell Wright, but I expect Serge and Reggie to both score more next season. I'm not worried about Russ' aggressiveness. He didn't tear his ACL. He should be back to 100% from his injury well before training camp.

He should be 100% physically but the concern is mentally with his first significant injury of his career...Will he drive to the bucket as aggressively as before...Will he stop on a dime to shoot his 15 footer just as before or will he tone it down a little worried he will injure it again

Sure he will be fine in the long run but it might take a while before he completely trusts that knee

rlewis
07-03-2013, 04:54 AM
We could have signed James Harden, but it would have meant letting Serge Ibaka go. If you had asked me a year ago which player I would have chosen to re-sign, I would have said Serge. Harden was a nice player, but he was mainly an offensive threat and we already had 2 of those in Durant and Westbrook. I don't think anybody thought that Harden would play out of his mind like he did last year. Serge of course had the amazing shot-blocking ability, and he had gotten better at playing defense on the ground as well. He also looked like he had all of the tools to develop a post-up offense. Harden didn't have those kind of tools to offer the Thunder.

However, Serge didn't develop into a reliable post-up offense player last year. He kept playing out on the perimeter, and if the Thunder wanted a guy to shoot 20-foot jumpers, then they should have kept Harden. Until he starts playing down on the blocks more reliably, the Harden trade is going to look bad. Serge's poor performances in the playoffs only makes things look worse.

I think Presti made a good decision at the time; but just like in life, the best laid plans often go astray.

Just the facts
07-03-2013, 06:44 AM
Sure he will be fine in the long run but it might take a while before he completely trusts that knee

The injury was not on any load bearing tissue so I doubt there is a trust issue. He tore his meniscus and it was repaired.

bhawes
07-03-2013, 07:05 AM
The Harden Trade cost the Thunder two titles so if Thunder win three Titles losing cost them from winning five titles.

Anonymous.
07-03-2013, 07:13 AM
The Harden Trade cost the Thunder two titles so if Thunder win three Titles losing cost them from winning five titles.

Not sure if trolling or....

kevinpate
07-03-2013, 07:14 AM
bhawes, I sometimes wonder if you have Miss Cleo on speed dial

td25er
07-03-2013, 07:18 AM
In hindsight, it was a horrible trade. Harden is arguably the BEST shooting guard in the world next season with Kobe and Wade hobbling around. He's at worst 3rd. Martin flamed out and then walked. Brooks has a man-crush on Fisher, so does anybody honestly think Lamb will be playing over Fisher (I'm sure we'll sign him again because we are penny pinchers this year and he can be had for cheap) in the playoffs. Heck no. Adams should be a 2nd round euro-stash, but nope we picked him in the lottery, just like Aldrich. The 2nd round guy might be a good player....in 4 years.

We should have kept Harden for the year and tried a sign and trade. Houston saw Presti coming a mile away.

BoulderSooner
07-03-2013, 07:24 AM
We could have signed James Harden, but it would have meant letting Serge Ibaka go. If you had asked me a year ago which player I would have chosen to re-sign, I would have said Serge. Harden was a nice player, but he was mainly an offensive threat and we already had 2 of those in Durant and Westbrook. I don't think anybody thought that Harden would play out of his mind like he did last year. Serge of course had the amazing shot-blocking ability, and he had gotten better at playing defense on the ground as well. He also looked like he had all of the tools to develop a post-up offense. Harden didn't have those kind of tools to offer the Thunder.

However, Serge didn't develop into a reliable post-up offense player last year. He kept playing out on the perimeter, and if the Thunder wanted a guy to shoot 20-foot jumpers, then they should have kept Harden. Until he starts playing down on the blocks more reliably, the Harden trade is going to look bad. Serge's poor performances in the playoffs only makes things look worse.

I think Presti made a good decision at the time; but just like in life, the best laid plans often go astray.

ibaka is a much much better shooter than harden

Anonymous.
07-03-2013, 07:32 AM
I like how people just think we should have gone over the cap and signed Harden for max.

Yea let's have 4 max players in a small market. That way we can MAYBE win one championship for a season and then have to dissolve the team and be crappy for the next 6 years.

Going over the cap is killer for a small market. Harden turned down an offer to keep us under it and he would get $5 million less than what HOU gave him. That's it. Five.

Five million dollars was more important to Harden than staying on a team that put him in the Finals a year prior.

The fans don't see it until someone types it out for them, but money runs the NBA - not players.

warreng88
07-03-2013, 07:42 AM
Last summer Harden was quoted as saying he needs to "make sacrifices" to keep the core of KD, Westbrook and Ibaka together. He was offered $55 million over four years (An NBA team can only offer two five year contracts and they had those is KD and Westbrook). The most they could have offered him was $60 million over four years. That's $15 million/year. He got $80 million over five years which is an extra million per year and add another year. And he is a starter. When he returned to play the Thunder in the regular season, he was asked about his sacrifices comment and he said he was making sacrifices, coming off the bench was making sacrifices to him. Honestly, I am not sure if he would have resigned with the Thunder had they offered him $60 million. He wanted to go to a team where he would start and be the man and he has that now. If you remember the last several summers, he was always in LA, NYC and Miami going to parties with celebrities and all of that. KD and Westbrook weren't doing any of that because that is not their style. Being second fiddle to KD and Westbrook wasn't good enough for him.

On a side note, if Houston gets Howard and doesn't lose a whole lot, that would be our biggest competition going into next season. I don't think Howard going to the Mavericks are going to help them as much as some people think.

Anonymous.
07-03-2013, 07:48 AM
Let's be honest, is any (not terrible) team going to benefit from DramaHoward?

Overrated.

Richard at Remax
07-03-2013, 07:50 AM
It is just frustrating because we hear about how much they are building for future and how many asssets they have, but they have made moves the last two years where the team is worst than the year before

Anonymous.
07-03-2013, 07:51 AM
It is just frustrating because we hear about how much they are building for future and how many asssets they have, but they have made moves the last two years where the team is worst than the year before

What team is that?

warreng88
07-03-2013, 07:56 AM

Yeah, I'm pretty sure we won more games than the previous years the last two years. And really, the only reason we didn't get further in the playoffs is because of Westbrook getting hurt. You can't just take out the sixth leading scorer in the NBA and expect the outcome to be the same.

BoulderSooner
07-03-2013, 07:57 AM

the thunder were better in every way in 2012-2013 than they were in 2011-2012

Richard at Remax
07-03-2013, 08:07 AM
To clarify, I meant to say this past season and this coming season. Letting Harden go for two unproven players and a year of Kevin martin. Even with Westbrook, I still see us barely getting by Memphis then getting beat by SA.

Then this coming year, even though it hasn't begun yet, they aren't going to amnesty Perkins. Who is a ball and chain for this team. With both play and salary. And they haven't made any moves to make me or anyone feel warm and fuzzy. If you really think they are going to be fine next year then you need to stop drinking the cool-aid. Who cares if they won more games. Like Traber said, you let me know when they hang the 60 win banner at the game and ill stand and applaud.

The time to win is now. These opportunities don't come around very often.

warreng88
07-03-2013, 08:20 AM
To clarify, I meant to say this past season and this coming season. Letting Harden go for two unproven players and a year of Kevin martin. Even with Westbrook, I still see us barely getting by Memphis then getting beat by SA.

I have to disagree with you on this one. We lost to Memphis by 6, 6, 6 and 4. That is a total of 22 points over four games. I find it hard to believe that with Westbrook in there we wouldn't have made up those points.

Then this coming year, even though it hasn't begun yet, they aren't going to amnesty Perkins. Who is a ball and chain for this team. With both play and salary. And they haven't made any moves to make me or anyone feel warm and fuzzy. If you really think they are going to be fine next year then you need to stop drinking the cool-aid. Who cares if they won more games. Like Traber said, you let me know when they hang the 60 win banner at the game and ill stand and applaud.

Hard to disagree with you on that one, but with a healthy Westbrook, who knows where we can go. Perk was brought in to be an inside, defensive force on a team who had KD, Westbrook, Harden and Ibaka. When two of those are gone (one to injury and one to trade) we need more offense on the inside, but it won't be cheap and that is what we are dealing with now. Ibaka's PPG have gone up every year since he has been here and I think they will go up again next year as his offensive games continues to get better. I think one of problems is we had a terrible first season then won 50 games and lost the eventual NBA champs. We are not going to win a championship every year and people need to realize that. It is too much to expect from a group of 20-30 year olds.

The time to win is now. These opportunities don't come around very often.

I think next year we will win about 60 games again and lose in the WCF to the Rockets. The following year, I think we will win an NBA championship.

Richard at Remax
07-03-2013, 08:31 AM
I will also add that Ibaka needs to stop being so timid. HE is a beast and sometimes seems reluctant to impose his will on people. I hope he works on that this summer.

I don't expect them to win championships every year, just to be legit contenders. And just like this past season and the coming season, they are just missing that one piece

warreng88
07-03-2013, 08:43 AM
It will be interesting to see how Jeremy Lamb turns out. I was hoping Brooks would put him in when Martin was in his 1-10 slump to get him some good playing time, but I guess not. I know a lot of people who really don't like Brooks and I can see why. I think Reggie Jackson will also have a bigger part in the next year as we will probably play small a lot again. I would love to see Reggie, Westbrook, Lamb, KD and Ibaka all on the floor at the same time. That would be a lightning fast lineup. It would also give Lamb a lot of minutes playing with guys with the same style of play.

Richard at Remax
07-03-2013, 09:43 AM
This is what espn is projecting the Thunder for next season and what their plan of action should be

Oklahoma City Thunder

Current projection: 43-39 (15th) | Playoff/Title odds: 66%/0.2%| 5-year WARP: 195.4 (2nd)
What their approach appears to be: Tearing down
What their approach should be: Win now
Plan of action: The Thunder are much better than this projection, but it's telling in a concerning way. The departure of Kevin Martin could really hurt the Thunder, though the offseason is still young. Right now, though, the lack of depth makes the pessimistic projection less than surprising. Other than Nick Collison, six of the other eight reserves who figure to be on the OKC roster have two or fewer years of experience. The other is Hasheem Thabeet. There are reasons to like a lot of those young players -- Perry Jones III, Andre Roberson, Steven Adams, Reggie Jackson, Jeremy Lamb -- but they have yet to produce at the NBA level. The vaunted Thunder development program might really be put to the test.

Power move: Exercise amnesty rights on Kendrick Perkins, who has become a veritable vortex of negative WARP.

via espn (insider) NBA - What each Western Conference team must do to develop or contend - ESPN (http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/9446313/nba-western-conference-team-do-develop-contend)

BoulderSooner
07-03-2013, 09:49 AM
This is what espn is projecting the Thunder for next season and what their plan of action should be

Oklahoma City Thunder

Current projection: 43-39 (15th) | Playoff/Title odds: 66%/0.2%| 5-year WARP: 195.4 (2nd)
Plan of action: The Thunder are much better than this projection, but it's telling in a concerning way. The departure of Kevin Martin could really hurt the Thunder, though the offseason is still young. Right now, though, the lack of depth makes the pessimistic projection less than surprising. Other than Nick Collison, six of the other eight reserves who figure to be on the OKC roster have two or fewer years of experience. The other is Hasheem Thabeet. There are reasons to like a lot of those young players -- Perry Jones III, Andre Roberson, Steven Adams, Reggie Jackson, Jeremy Lamb -- but they have yet to produce at the NBA level. The vaunted Thunder development program might really be put to the test.

Power move: Exercise amnesty rights on Kendrick Perkins, who has become a veritable vortex of negative WARP.

via espn (insider) NBA - What each Western Conference team must do to develop or contend - ESPN (http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/9446313/nba-western-conference-team-do-develop-contend)

if the over under in vegas for the thunder is 45ish i will take out another mortgage on my house and go to vegas ..

dankrutka
07-03-2013, 11:16 AM
He should be 100% physically but the concern is mentally with his first significant injury of his career...Will he drive to the bucket as aggressively as before...Will he stop on a dime to shoot his 15 footer just as before or will he tone it down a little worried he will injure it again

I get what you're saying, but his injury was not that significant. He and the Thunder were very conservative. It's not the type of injury that lingers. He should be fine.

adaniel
07-03-2013, 11:20 AM

Oklahoma City Thunder

Really? And you have to pay money for this dribble?

I feel dumber after reading this.

dankrutka
07-03-2013, 11:23 AM

Huh? I knew this at the time. Harden was a top 3 shooting guard in the NBA with the Thunder. Serge was probably the 15th best power forward. It was obvious Harden had already reached a far higher ceiling than Ibaka likely ever could. That's why he was on team USA in the Olympics and knocked both the Mavs (game 4) and Spurs (game 5) out of the playoffs like a top tier player. It was not hard to predict that Harden and Ibaka would play like they did this season. Also, we could have signed both for a limited time. That's why the Thunder offered Harden a $55 million contract after signing Ibaka. We should have just paid $5 million more and traded one of them after 2 seasons. That would have been very doable financially because they both would have still been on their cheap contracts this past season.

BoulderSooner
07-03-2013, 11:29 AM
ibaka is a better match with westbrook and KD than harden is ..

dankrutka
07-03-2013, 11:29 AM
Yeah. That ESPN win projection is a joke. The Thunder, barring serious injuries, will at least 55 games, but probably a few more. Reggie and Serge should still be improving and we still have 2 top 10 players in the league. I've disagreed with what Presti has done recently, but the sky is not falling. We're still very good.