View Full Version : Could/Should Oklahoma try and bid for Pan-American Games?

jedicurt
07-01-2013, 10:40 AM
On the Tulsa thread there is an article that talks about Tulsa wanting to bid for the 2024 Olympics. While i think this idea is ridiculous, it did get me thinking about something.

If OKC were to make it a priority could we host either the 2019 or 2023 Pan American Games? And if OKC were to think about doing this... should they? what items would need to be done to make it happen, and what would the after effects be?

Anyone else want to help me dream here?

Laramie
07-01-2013, 07:28 PM
On the Tulsa thread there is an article that talks about Tulsa wanting to bid for the 2024 Olympics. While i think this idea is ridiculous, it did get me thinking about something.

If OKC were to make it a priority could we host either the 2019 or 2023 Pan American Games? And if OKC were to think about doing this... should they? what items would need to be done to make it happen, and what would the after effects be?

Anyone else want to help me dream here?

It would take the combined efforts of an Oklahoma City and Tulsa to host the Olympic games. The Pan American Games would be more realistic:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_Pan_American_Games

We already have facilities (except stadium) which could be upgraded for some of the Pan American Games.

Agree that OKC should at least look at the Pan American Games for 2019. MAPS IV projects will be on the ballot for 2017 and we do want to keep of the momentum. We will need some kind of outdoor stadium which could be the centerpiece for the games and possibly used for other events like the NASL or possibly an upgrade to the MLS when the games are retired.