View Full Version : Steak & Catfish Barn

boscorama
06-27-2013, 09:26 PM
Owner is retiring, closing at the end of August. Land is being sold.

I-35 & Waterloo.

That's all I know.

Get it while you can.

(New Location and new ownership)

Hawk405359
06-27-2013, 10:22 PM
I've lived in those parts and have only been there once. If it weren't for Man vs. Food, it probably would have gone out long ago. I'll be honest, I don't think there was anything special about the catfish there.

Midtowner
06-27-2013, 10:28 PM
Terrible news.

This was my lunch spot when I had court in Payne or Logan County.

UnclePete
06-28-2013, 09:03 PM
I was in Steak & Catfish Barn on Monday the 17th and heard that it is closing. Something about the restaurant and the land having different owners. Also heard that McDonald's is buying the land.

boscorama
06-29-2013, 08:42 PM
Yes, I heard that, too, about McDonalds. It should take a few years before golden arches appear.

Plutonic Panda
01-09-2014, 07:09 PM
It's opening back up again, kind of.

----------------------------------

Steak & Catfish Barn is back; well, almost
Patty Miller
The Edmond Sun

EDMOND — Steak & Catfish Barn’s opening has been moved to Monday, Jan. 13.

A well-known and well-loved restaurant was closed this summer after a 15-year run outside of Edmond. After losing their lease, the owners were ready to retire but wanted someone to buy the restaurant’s name, their recipes and their website.

After purchasing the Steak & Catfish Barn, formerly located on Waterloo Road and I-35, the new owner and former customer Bob Warner has moved the restaurant to a new location off Hefner Road and I-35.

But the move is about all that has changed. The decor is the same, the menu is the same and many of the wait people will be the same. Even the preparation of the food will be the same.

Warner has been working with former owners Dino Smalley and his wife, Maria Vitale, as they helped move the restaurant and its furnishings to its new location, decorate it, share their recipes and now they are training the cooks and wait people.

“Bob and I talked about it and even though we thought we could open Thursday and recently announced that we would be open, it is just not going to be possible,” Smalley said. “We want to be able to give our former customers the quality they are expecting, and we are just a few days behind where we need to be before opening in this new location.”

Warner agreed and said, “Dino and Maria know this business, and I am learning it. I trust their judgment and am following their lead on when they think we can open with the service and menu as good as it was in the other location.”

The restaurant’s new location is 10603 N. I-35. Take the Hefner exit and it is the second building on the west side of the road.

- See more at: Steak & Catfish Barn is back; well, almost » Local News » The Edmond Sun (http://www.edmondsun.com/local/x1005137795/Steak-Catfish-Barn-is-back-well-almost#sthash.zetzym63.dpuf)

ljbab728
01-09-2014, 10:09 PM
Yes, I saw this on KFOR yesterday.

?Famous? Steak and Catfish Barn back in business | KFOR.com (http://kfor.com/2014/01/08/famous-steak-andcatfish-barn-back-in-business/)

harp23
12-04-2014, 11:45 AM
Anybody know what is being built at the old location at I-35 and Waterloo.

bchris02
03-17-2017, 09:41 AM
This has been all over social media. Thoughts?

http://kfor.com/2017/03/15/oklahoma-city-restaurants-transgender-bathroom-sign-causing-controversy/

I have already been boycotting this restaurant for a long time because of terrible food and cleanliness. I've heard it is struggling so they might have done this to get some media attention. The one time I ate there (it was back in 2014) I had what looked like a fried roach in my chicken tenders. This place, unless they've cleaned it up, is the kind of place you might expect to be shut down by the health department any day.

Dr Beard Face
03-17-2017, 11:18 AM
This has been all over social media. Thoughts?

http://kfor.com/2017/03/15/oklahoma-city-restaurants-transgender-bathroom-sign-causing-controversy/

I have already been boycotting this restaurant for a long time because of terrible food and cleanliness. I've heard it is struggling so they might have done this to get some media attention. The one time I ate there (it was back in 2014) I had what looked like a fried roach in my chicken tenders. This place, unless they've cleaned it up, is the kind of place you might expect to be shut down by the health department any day.

Let em shut down. I've never been and definitely wont be checking it out. Bunch of jerks.

stile99
03-17-2017, 11:53 AM
I recall an episode of MvF that featured a place in Alaska. While I recall neither the original or the new name, it changed names in between filming and airing, so the episode aired with a brief disclaimer saying ABC has now changed names to XYZ. I believe it would be appropriate for them to add a similar disclaimer to reruns of the OKC episode, saying the Steak and Catfish Barn mentioned in this episode is not the same Steak and Catfish Barn that exists now, which is in a different location under different ownership.

Colbafone
03-17-2017, 12:00 PM
I thought this Steak and Catfish Barn IS the same, just a different owner (who I believe worked for the original couple?). Once they retired, he bought the rights, was my understanding anyway.

Anyway RIP in pieces Steak and Catfish Barn

dankrutka
03-17-2017, 05:15 PM
I guess Bob didn't get the memo that transgender people don't want a separate bathroom. The politicization of this issue is the only reason this is even an issue because transgender have been using the bathroom with which they identify for a long time. I bet if a transgender female walked into the women's bathrooms in Bob's restaurant he'd throw a fit because he doesn't realize that he's actually asking a man to go to the bathroom in a women's bathroom. The point is that signs and attitudes like this are just discrimination, bullying, and intimidation. Very disappointing.

soonerguru
03-17-2017, 09:27 PM
Their food sucks anyway.

jeffkchuckk
03-19-2017, 08:00 AM
Good riddance.