View Full Version : 2013 NBA Draft

dankrutka
06-24-2013, 02:34 PM
The NBA Draft is this Thursday. The Thunder have the 12, 29, and 32nd picks. If we use them all then I expect at least one player to stay overseas as we don't need 3 rookies on the roster. Decent chance we're involved in a trade too.

While most people think we'll take a big guy (e.g., Steven Adams, Cody Zeller, Kelly Olynyk), I am not sold on any of the bigs that will be around at 12. Drafting big guys is a tough business as a lot of them don't pan out (see Cole Aldrich, Byron Mullens). I really like C.J. McCollum of Lehigh if he slips to 12 as a scorer than can help our bench, especially if Thabo or Reggie leave in the next couple years, but this might depend on how the team feels about Jeremy Lamb:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=C1IgVnleed4

Other opinions? Here's a mock draft (http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2013/) for reference.

BoulderSooner
06-24-2013, 02:36 PM
i like ray mcullum at either 29 or 32 .. to be the 3rd pg and maybe future #2 pg

dankrutka
06-24-2013, 02:53 PM
i like ray mcullum at either 29 or 32 .. to be the 3rd pg and maybe future #2 pg

I really like Dennis Shroeder, but he'll most likely be gone by 29.

s00nr1
06-25-2013, 08:40 AM
I, too, would love it if we could get McCollum at 12. I think that provides a nice backup option to Jackson and would be a great fit with Lamb and PJ3 on the second unit. His skillset looks like a combo of Curry (shooting)/Harden (ball skills).

Bellaboo
06-25-2013, 02:39 PM
I don't know if anyone knows this on the board, but McCollum played his Jr High ball in Norman, his dad was a Kelvin Sampson assistant.

dankrutka
06-25-2013, 03:46 PM
I don't know if anyone knows this on the board, but McCollum played his Jr High ball in Norman, his dad was a Kelvin Sampson assistant.

No, he didn't. You're thinking of Ray McCallum. He's projected to go in the 2nd round. Easy to mix those two up.

dankrutka
06-25-2013, 03:49 PM
If we draft a big I think Cody Zeller is the choice. I just hope we're smarter than to draft Steven Adams. He's easily the most overrated player in the draft in my opinion. He's Perk 2.0. Bad hands, no feel for the game, can't score at all. He's obviously a better athlete than Perk, but he lacks the same toughness and leadership. I would be pretty disappointed if we drafted him.

rlewis
06-25-2013, 04:45 PM
If we draft a big I think Cody Zeller is the choice. I just hope we're smarter than to draft Steven Adams. He's easily the most overrated player in the draft in my opinion. He's Perk 2.0. Bad hands, no feel for the game, can't score at all. He's obviously a better athlete than Perk, but he lacks the same toughness and leadership. I would be pretty disappointed if we drafted him.

I agree with the Zeller pick; and like the Daily Oklahoman, I also like Gorgui Dieng. Both of those guys are coordinated, while the other two, Adams and Olynyk, look like plodders. Adams gives me the same vibe as Byron Mullens did before the 2009 draft. The scouting report on him is that he is athletically talented but "raw". That was the same description of Mullens years ago, and we all know how that turned out. Olynyk makes think of Cole Aldrich (a good college player but a benchwarmer in the NBA).

If they don't get Zeller or Dieng, I would love to see them go for a guard or a small forward. Reggie Jackson may be gone after this next year because of salary cap restraints, so we need to get prepared for that possibility. McCollum is a very good shooter, but he's not tall enough to be a shooting guard and he didn't play the point guard position at all in college. Of course they said the same thing about Westbrook out of college, but McCollom doesn't have the athletic ability of RW.

I would love to see them take a shot at Shabazz Muhammad, but he's probably too controversial. I really think that the Thunder's environment could get him straightened out though. Michael Carter Williams and Kentavious Caldwell Pope are tempting options as well.

Jake
06-25-2013, 05:44 PM
A lot of rumors saying that the Thunder are being proactive to move up in the draft. Let's see what Presti does. It'll be interesting.

dankrutka
06-25-2013, 07:10 PM
A lot of rumors saying that the Thunder are being proactive to move up in the draft. Let's see what Presti does. It'll be interesting.

Every scenario I've heard seems very unlikely. May just be the Thunder throwing the fishing line out there to see if anyone bites.

Jake
06-25-2013, 07:30 PM
Daily Thunder.com Thunder shopping Perkins along with 12 and 29? | Daily Thunder.com (http://dailythunder.com/headlines/thunder-shopping-perkins-along-with-12-and-29/)

The deal would probably be more palatable without Perkins.

s00nr1
06-25-2013, 08:52 PM
Daily Thunder.com Thunder shopping Perkins along with 12 and 29? | Daily Thunder.com (http://dailythunder.com/headlines/thunder-shopping-perkins-along-with-12-and-29/)

Top 5 pick?? I would give them Perkins, the 12th, and the 29th for an end-of-the-second round pick haha (or nothing at all) just to get his contract off the payroll and allow us to go get someone like Hickson.

dankrutka
06-26-2013, 01:14 AM

Bingo. No one is biting on a deal with Perk's terrible contract.

If a deal is in the news then it is likely that's it not a real option. The Thunder are tight lipped and it's unlikely that they'd leak real trade possibilities. It's more likely a diversion for something else...

BoulderSooner
06-26-2013, 06:42 AM
perkins contract is really not that bad

dankrutka
06-26-2013, 07:01 AM

It's not that his contract is that bad, but that he's not very good. No one wants to spend nearly $10 million per year (1/7th of their cap space) on a player like Perk. His contract makes him virtually untradeable unless the Thunder give up a ton.

s00nr1
06-26-2013, 07:06 AM

I beg to differ -- yes, it really is.

Bellaboo
06-26-2013, 07:44 AM
Everytime Perkins tried to make an offensive move, I cringed. Thinking.... NOOOOOOO!

He needs to go.

BoulderSooner
06-26-2013, 09:52 AM
perk makes 8.4 mil this season (2013/2014) and 9.1 next season ...

he is very trade able if you are willing to take back salary ...

and next summer he would be easy to trade as an expiring contract ..

td25er
06-26-2013, 02:39 PM

Just stop....

The only way we can trick somebody into taking perkins is if we give them Lamb, Jones, and both 1st round picks.

rlewis
06-26-2013, 07:34 PM
Just stop....

The only way we can trick somebody into taking perkins is if we give them Lamb, Jones, and both 1st round picks.

You might be on to something with your suggestion. What if Presti did a deal with his former right-hand man Rob Hannigan in Orlando and landed the 2nd pick in the draft? They could send Lamb, Jones, and the 1st round picks to them, and then we could select shooting guard Ben Mclemore or Victor Oladipo with their pick. Unfortunately, I don't think we can interest them in Perkins. The James Harden trade would come full circle: we end up with a one year rental of Kevin Martin and a younger, cheaper version of Harden.

It's just a thought. ESPN was reporting that the Magic were looking at their possible options if they had a late lottery pick. The Thunder immediately popped into my mind, but it may be Dallas or Utah that are actually talking to Orlando.

BigD Misey
06-26-2013, 08:03 PM
Does KMart qualify for a non-bird clause?

jedicurt
06-27-2013, 09:16 AM
Does KMart qualify for a non-bird clause?

i believe the answer is no... but as i am not someone who deals day to day with NBA contracts, don't quote me on it

BoulderSooner
06-27-2013, 10:00 AM
i believe the answer is no... but as i am not someone who deals day to day with NBA contracts, don't quote me on it

no sure what he means by "non-bird clause" ..

the thunder have kevin martins "bird rights" letting them go over the cap to sign him to a contract

SoonerBoy18
06-28-2013, 01:29 AM
Wish we can go back and select Seth Curry smh.

warreng88
06-28-2013, 07:39 AM

Not sure it would have mattered as he is signed to a four year, $44 million contract. Even if we did sign Harden to an extension, we would have had to trade someone a few years later to get below the cap and it probably would have been the SG (Harden or Curry) instead of Ibaka. Ibaka was just willing to take a little less money. Harden wanted to start and be the man on a team which is not going to happen when you have KD and Westbrook.

king183
06-28-2013, 08:47 AM
Not sure it would have mattered as he is signed to a four year, $44 million contract. Even if we did sign Harden to an extension, we would have had to trade someone a few years later to get below the cap and it probably would have been the SG (Harden or Curry) instead of Ibaka. Ibaka was just willing to take a little less money. Harden wanted to start and be the man on a team which is not going to happen when you have KD and Westbrook.

No, my friend, you're talking about STEPH(EN) Curry. He's talking about Duke guard SETH Curry who was just in the draft, but went undrafted. He's also STEPH's brother.

warreng88
06-28-2013, 09:09 AM
No, my friend, you're talking about STEPH(EN) Curry. He's talking about Duke guard SETH Curry who was just in the draft, but went undrafted. He's also STEPH's brother.

Ha! Wow, how did I overlook that one. Well, that was a waste of a few minutes of typing. Thanks for the clarification.

dankrutka
06-28-2013, 11:07 AM

Why? He's not his brother and not that good.

rlewis
06-28-2013, 03:43 PM
Ugh--not happy about the Steven Adams selection. As Yogi Berra put it, it's deja vu all over again. We have pretty good fortune with our draft picks except when we choose centers. I guess Adams will go to Tulsa for the next 2 years, and then we'll trade him to another team for a second round pick.

At least the Andre Roberson pick will be interesting. That was a surprise, but so was Reggie Jackson a couple of years ago (and that one has worked out pretty well). He looks like a good athlete that could maybe turn into a Kawhi Leonard type of player.

G.Walker
06-28-2013, 07:07 PM
Steven Adams = Cole Aldrich 2.0

workman45
06-29-2013, 03:21 PM
Steven Adams = Cole Aldrich 2.0

Not necessarily, we'll just have to wait and see.

dankrutka
06-29-2013, 04:28 PM
Yep. We'll see. Cole was definitely a better player in college, but Adams has more upside/potential. Will he reach it? Maybe or maybe not?

I wasn't a fan of the pick, but we'll see. Big men are tough to project.

BoulderSooner
07-01-2013, 07:46 AM
Yep. We'll see. Cole was definitely a better player in college, but Adams has more upside/potential. Will he reach it? Maybe or maybe not?

I wasn't a fan of the pick, but we'll see. Big men are tough to project.

Adams was significantly better as a college freshman .. .. really not close

dankrutka
07-01-2013, 11:53 AM
Adams was significantly better as a college freshman .. .. really not close

I guess. Cole played on a national title team behind 3 big men draft picks so minutes were much harder to come by then on an average Pitt team. Anyway, the point still holds that Cole came out of college a better player. Again, Adams has more of an upside so we'll see.

BoulderSooner
07-01-2013, 12:21 PM
I guess. Cole played on a national title team behind 3 big men draft picks so minutes were much harder to come by then on an average Pitt team. Anyway, the point still holds that Cole came out of college a better player. Again, Adams has more of an upside so we'll see.

the point that cole was better after 3 years at kansas .. than adams was after 1 year at Pitt is not really relevant ..

dankrutka
07-01-2013, 02:32 PM
For those that haven't seen Adams play, here is his DraftExpress video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmdpZD61dUw

warreng88
07-01-2013, 03:51 PM
That kid better live at the free throw line to improve his FT%. He shoots 44% which is less than half of what KD does.

Laramie
07-01-2013, 06:14 PM

According to ESPN NBA Player salaries for 2012-13 Kendrick Perkins made $7.8 million and this is probably going to go down. I don't know the reliability of this ESPN link.

Oklahoma City Thunder 2013 Team Roster - ESPN (http://espn.go.com/nba/team/roster/_/name/okc/oklahoma-city-thunder)

If he (Perkins) is scheduled to receive $9.1 million next season (?); what team in their right mind would want to pick up that contract? We are probably stuck with Perkins...

OKCisOK4me
07-01-2013, 06:27 PM
According to ESPN NBA Player salaries for 2012-13 Kendrick Perkins made $7.8 million and this is probably going to go down. I don't know the reliability of this ESPN link.

Oklahoma City Thunder 2013 Team Roster - ESPN (http://espn.go.com/nba/team/roster/_/name/okc/oklahoma-city-thunder)

If he (Perkins) is scheduled to receive $9.1 million next season (?); what team in their right mind would want to pick up that contract? We are probably stuck with Perkins...

Good. Perkins is not the end of the world. We still need him for post interior defense when we play teams with big men. Would you rather Ibaka foul out? Even if he's not catching, not passing, not scoring, or not rebounding and he's turning the ball over, we still need a body that can give our starters a rest and keep our starters from fouling out.

dankrutka
07-01-2013, 07:29 PM
That kid better live at the free throw line to improve his FT%. He shoots 44% which is less than half of what KD does.

One of the reasons that I didn't want this kid is he's another big with bad hands. I'm so tired of our big men (Ibaka and Perkins) having bad hands. It's not the end of the world, but it just really annoys me.

Bellaboo
07-01-2013, 07:39 PM
One of the reasons that I didn't want this kid is he's another big with bad hands. I'm so tired of our big men (Ibaka and Perkins) having bad hands. It's not the end of the world, but it just really annoys me.

Some of the highlights I've seen has him with somewhat decent hands...not that i've seen much, but keep in mind, he's only played 5 years of basketball. Only 1 year of college ball. They probably believe he has a lot of upside and have stated his work ethic is his best quality along with his size.... In 2 years, he may contribute in a major way.

BoulderSooner
07-01-2013, 08:06 PM

He has good hands and is a great athlete. He also is a good shooter. So IMO his ff % will go way up

dankrutka
07-01-2013, 09:39 PM
He has good hands and is a great athlete. He also is a good shooter. So IMO his ff % will go way up

Not sure where you're getting your information on Adams. You're right that he's a great athlete, but he has bad hands (see Draft Express scouting report (http://www.draftexpress.com#ixzz2Xr6rr23W)):

Even more concerning though is how poor of a finisher he appeared to be around the basket this year. Adams had a difficult time catching the ball cleanly all season long resulting in quite a few turnovers. He bobbles the ball on the catch regularly, as he seems to need to have it thrown to him perfectly so he can get two hands around it, at times using his chest to assist him. Because of his lack of control upon catching it, he tends to either hesitate going up strong for the finish, or just throws the ball up on the rim, seemingly just hoping for the best. The fact that he doesn't get great extension on his moves around the rim makes him fairly predictable and resulted in him getting his shot blocked a fair amount relative to his small number of touches.

And he also has shown no indication that he can shoot (from Draft Express also):

Stepping away from the basket, Adams is not much of a threat, as you would probably guess by his mediocre free throw shooting percentages (44%). He shoots the ball with poor mechanics, locking his elbow, not setting his feet, and showing no follow through on his release. Combine that with his average touch and it seems he has a long ways to go to become a legitimate threat outside of the immediate vicinity of the basket.

Anyway, I hope he improves, but if it takes 2-3 years until he improves then there's a chance we'll have him for 1-2 years before he leaves in free agency because we can't afford him (since we'll presumably be paying KD, Russ, & Ibaka a lot more than now). That's why I didn't want a guy that is so a total project. Hopefully, he can get on the court because of his defense sooner rather than later, but I just don't see it.

BoulderSooner
07-02-2013, 07:36 AM
from the draft combine and in his workouts .. he shot the ball very well .. and he showed good hands ..

Laramie
07-12-2013, 08:36 AM
"Adams had a difficult time catching the ball cleanly all season long resulting in quite a few turnovers. He bobbles the ball on the catch regularly, as he seems to need to have it thrown to him perfectly so he can get two hands around it..."

Serge Ibaka had pretty much the same problem. Coaches call this 'butterfingers. Serge has shown much improvement. Adams should be alright and hopefully this will not affect his game.

dankrutka
07-12-2013, 05:05 PM
Uh, Serge still has this problem and it hurts his game a lot. Some guys improve in this area, but more have the problem their entire career.

I'll admit that Adams looked better in the summer league than I expected. I hope I was dead wrong about him.

Laramie
07-13-2013, 06:03 PM
Uh, Serge still has this problem and it hurts his game a lot. Some guys improve in this area, but more have the problem their entire career.

I'll admit that Adams looked better in the summer league than I expected. I hope I was dead wrong about him.

My only concern about Adams centers around the fact that he left college so early. Will he have the endurance to work through all of the stress it takes to handle the challenges that goes with fine-tuning himself into an elite NBA center?

Bellaboo
07-13-2013, 07:55 PM
My only concern about Adams centers around the fact that he left college so early. Will he have the endurance to work through all of the stress it takes to handle the challenges that goes with fine-tuning himself into an elite NBA center?

He's only 19 years old and has played just 5 years or organized ball. I think he'll be a force starting in 2014 -15 season. Don't think they expect too much this coming season, at least not early.

Laramie
07-13-2013, 10:03 PM
He's only 19 years old and has played just 5 years or organized ball. I think he'll be a force starting in 2014 -15 season. Don't think they expect too much this coming season, at least not early.

Most NBA draftees get a pass the first year. Agree with you that they will monitor his progress and expect improvement.

betts
07-13-2013, 11:16 PM
Presti thinks he has good hands. I watched summer league some and didn't see anything concerning. I saw more bad passes to him than anything when looking at turnovers.

Laramie
07-14-2013, 02:54 AM
Let's just say he has POTENTIAL! Hopefully, we can develop one or two of these players where they can contribute to a good second string...

catcherinthewry
07-14-2013, 09:52 AM
I thought Adams had a very good summer league. I watched the first game and caught highlights of the rest. While he is very raw, that is understandable. He is only 19 and played against bad competition in NZ. I thought he had great footwork and that, like height cannot be coached. I thought he got pushed around a bit by Plumlee that first game but physicality and toughness is something that Perkins can help him out with. The coaches rave about his hunger to learn the NBA game so I hope to see rapid improvement in him this year. That being said, he's not going to improve sitting on the end of the bench. He has to go to Tulsa and get 30-35 minutes a game. Hopefully he can contribute to the Thunder in 2014-15 and start the year after that.

dankrutka
07-14-2013, 11:50 AM
It's going to be interesting to see if Daniel Orton gets a contract. He showed some nice athleticism and offensive skills in Orlando. But it's unlikely the Thunder will carry 4 centers and Perk and Adams are guarantees (barring a trade) so it'll be Thabeet or Orton.

Laramie
07-14-2013, 12:44 PM
It's going to be interesting to see if Daniel Orton gets a contract. He showed some nice athleticism and offensive skills in Orlando. But it's unlikely the Thunder will carry 4 centers and Perk and Adams are guarantees (barring a trade) so it'll be Thabeet or Orton.

Haven't had a chance to look at this situation; however, if it boils down to Thabeet or Orton, the Thunder will have to make a decision? We took our eye off Tyson Chandler, good or bad(?); Presti made a decision.