View Full Version : AT&T to make major announcement regarding OKC & jobs

Pages : [1] 2

Pete
06-22-2013, 03:56 PM
Just heard from a very reliable source that AT&T will be making an announcement most likely this week about one of their operations to be be headquartered in Oklahoma City.

There will be at least 100 jobs to start with more to follow.

Unclear whether these will all be new positions or if some may be relocated.

Since they will only be starting with about 100 jobs, very unlikely this has anything to do with the Mystery Towers rumors.

But coupled with the recent Boeing and GE developments, OKC is starting to string together some significant new employers that are tied to massive, multi-national entities.

Should be hearing more about this very soon.

catch22
06-22-2013, 04:00 PM
Would be good to see a downtown presence.

BoulderSooner
06-22-2013, 04:37 PM
Randall L. Stephenson, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer | AT&T Investor Relations | AT&T (http://www.att.com/gen/investor-relations?pid=7824)

Att CEO is an Oklahoman FYI

rlewis
06-23-2013, 12:07 PM
If we could just get Randall to show some pride in his hometown and spend the $150k to remove the ugly equipment tower from the top of his company's downtown building.

HangryHippo
06-24-2013, 07:54 AM
I wonder if these jobs are more call center types...

NWOKCGuy
06-24-2013, 09:04 AM
I wonder if these jobs are more call center types...

If it's a major announcement about one of the HQ being located here, I doubt it is call center related.

Bellaboo
06-24-2013, 10:00 AM
Steve actually said 'cell tower' during his chat on a question about the MT. Either last Friday or the one before, but it sounded in jest.

My first thought was AT&T when he said it.

NWOKCGuy
06-24-2013, 10:24 AM
Steve actually said 'cell tower' during his chat on a question about the MT. Either last Friday or the one before, but it sounded in jest.

My first thought was AT&T when he said it.

I recall that as well... Pete says he doesn't think its MT related though.

Pete
06-24-2013, 10:33 AM
I'm not sure if it's related to a Mystery Tower but I do know this...

My source told me the Stage Center site was going to a local company and not bringing new jobs -- just a consolidation.

But I was also told there is a second tower in the works that WOULD bring new jobs to the area. I was assuming that was Enogex/Centerpointe but not for sure.

This just doesn't seem to be enough jobs (100) to warrant an office tower.

HangryHippo
06-24-2013, 10:36 AM
Pete, any feeling for what these jobs might be?

Bellaboo
06-24-2013, 01:03 PM

My source told me the Stage Center site was going to a local company and not bringing new jobs -- just a consolidation.

But I was also told there is a second tower in the works that WOULD bring new jobs to the area. I was assuming that was Enogex/Centerpointe but not for sure.

I think AT&T has the downtown office tower over by SandRidge and also a 3 story complex up on Quail Springs Parkway. Not sure if there would be anything else to consolidate...just don't know much else about their corporate presence.

Teo9969
06-24-2013, 03:07 PM
Excellent news!

They do have some other employees in this area that could make a tower sensible for them...just probably not a 700 ft tower.

ljbab728
06-24-2013, 11:21 PM
The announcement will be on Thursday.

AT&T set to unveil plans | News OK (http://newsok.com/att-set-to-unveil-plans/article/3855915)

rlewis
06-25-2013, 12:04 AM
AT&T occupies at least two 3-story buildings in the Memorial Road office complexes. It's property that they inherited when they bought out Dobson Communications back in either 2006 or 2007. My understanding is that they have some excess space to fill in those properties. So whatever they have planned, it may not result in any new buildings.

They bought Dobson to beef up their rural area cellphone business, so I wonder if that might be what will be headquartered here. I hope that it is more significant than that, but it wouldn't shock me if that is what is announced.

Praedura
06-25-2013, 12:16 AM
I don't know what it is, but if the governor, the mayor, and the head of the chamber of commerce are going to be there, then it must be SOMETHING.

betts
06-25-2013, 02:32 AM
The article says "significant employment growth". That doesn't sound like a building to me.

Snowman
06-25-2013, 05:04 AM
It may have changed but they used to be pretty regionalized, with either many or most of the states having there own subsidiary for operations. I am not sure of how many are line workers, work at the various substations or at retail stores but apparently AT&T still has around 4,100 employees in Oklahoma. Granted years ago, when they were the old AT&T they probably had that or more just at what was a manufacturing plant by the outlet mall.

Pete
06-25-2013, 06:38 AM
As previously stated, I heard this involves around 100 new jobs with more down the road.

Didn't hear anything about a consolidation and although it's possible, I don't think that is part of this.

Pete
06-25-2013, 06:47 AM
Just today, AT&T announced two new innovation centers for Atlanta and Dallas but didn't mention OKC.

Obviously, they are doing considerable restructuring and expansion.

GaryOKC6
06-25-2013, 07:15 AM
Both the Governor and Mayor are going to be at the announcement. They don't usually both show up over something small.

AT&T set to unveil plans

AT&T is set to make an announcement regarding “significant employment growth” at a news conference Thursday.

By Steve Lackmeyer Published: June 25, 2013

AT&T set tounveil plans

AT&T is set to make an announcement regarding “significant employment growth” at a news conference Thursday.

The announcement will be made 10 a.m. at the Greater Oklahoma City Chamber by Bryan Gonterman, president of AT&T Oklahoma, who will be accompanied by Gov. Mary Fallin, Mayor Mick Cornett and chamber President Roy Williams.

AT&T's chief executive officer, Randall Stephenson, is a University of Central Oklahoma graduate who began his career with Southwestern Bell Telephone in 1982 in Oklahoma City.

Under Stephenson's leadership, AT&T expanded its nationwide U.S. wireless business and enhanced its advanced enterprise capabilities, serving millions of business customers including multinational companies on six continents.

AT&T is the world's largest telecommunications company with more than $127 billion in 2012 revenues. Over the past five years, AT&T has invested more capital into the economy than any other public company.

Bellaboo
06-25-2013, 07:51 AM
My neighbor is in AT&T management at the office in the Quail Springs business park. I'll walk over there tonight and see if he's willing to say anything......I'll ask if his job is moving downtown.

Bellaboo
06-25-2013, 03:54 PM
My neighbor is in AT&T management at the office in the Quail Springs business park. I'll walk over there tonight and see if he's willing to say anything......I'll ask if his job is moving downtown.

Just talked to his college aged son, and he said his dad isn't talking, but interestingly, he said his dads office is so full from recent hiring that he now works 4 days a week from home, but reserves an office on the days he reports in house.

OKCisOK4me
06-25-2013, 05:02 PM
My bet is that this announcement will be similar to the GE announcement. Regardless, new jobs to the state and especially our city are important no matter what.

lasomeday
06-25-2013, 06:30 PM

AT&T already has around 1,900 employees in OKC area, so another 100 would be enough people to warrant a tower...... Who knows GE and AT&T could pair up to create a massive tower?

bchris02
06-25-2013, 06:34 PM
Steve did say (jokingly) that the Mystery Tower would be a cell tower...

Plutonic Panda
06-25-2013, 09:33 PM
Steve did say (jokingly) that the Mystery Tower would be a cell tower...I was thinking the same thing man!

Pete
06-26-2013, 01:43 PM
A bit more information about tomorrow's announcement...

I'm hearing it will involve 140 jobs, essentially centralized project managers. Pay will start in the mid 40's and go up from there. More positions will be added over time.

I believe most of these will be new hires with some relocations, possibly from a similar function in Texas.

Unclear on where they will be officed but I very much doubt this has anything to do with the mystery tower(s).

Bellaboo
06-26-2013, 08:21 PM
Just posted this on the MT thread -

Just talked to my neighbor whose been with AT&T for years, and he said they are announcing a 'college for hire' program. He said that's the rumor he's been hearing. Nothing about a tower......

bchris02
06-26-2013, 10:18 PM
Yeah everyone is so excited about the Mystery Tower they think any announcement may be it. If it was something that big, AT&T's CEO would be here.

Pete
06-26-2013, 10:28 PM
The good news is that AT&T announcement is probably in *addition to* the other good news that will eventually come out about the mystery tower(s).

Just more evidence OKC is getting a pretty good roll.

Pete
06-27-2013, 07:37 AM
Press conference scheduled for 10AM CST today, so we should get official word and more details soon.

Anonymous.
06-27-2013, 07:56 AM
1 hour.

Harvey Hudson
06-27-2013, 09:06 AM
The room that the conference is in only holds about 10 people. I do not believe this is for a tower....but it could lead to one

Pete
06-27-2013, 09:09 AM
Steve is at the meeting and Tweeting. I'll post updates.

Pete
06-27-2013, 09:13 AM
From Dustin Akers:

AT&T announces 100 new management jobs servicing their business solutions department

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BNxoutjCQAEQI7L.jpg

Pete
06-27-2013, 09:23 AM
More from Dustin:

AT&T employs over 2,000 people in #OKC. Chose OKC for new jobs based on quality of life and high education levels.

modernism
06-27-2013, 09:26 AM
So much for big news...:Smiley278

back to work....

Pete
06-27-2013, 09:33 AM
Sorry, I'm glad for the jobs but seriously, 100 jobs just isn't very many in a city this size. Especially when they are just low-med management positions. Not like they signal an economic or competitive shift for the city (like the GE facility does). Hardly a "major" announcement as it was advertised IMHO.

I believe there will be job growth as well.

But as I said all the way along, this announcement was only going to be for about 100 jobs and everyone else got a bit carried away. :)

SOONER8693
06-27-2013, 09:33 AM
So much for big news...:Smiley278

back to work....
Bingo. This turned out to be a real Buzz Killington.

G.Walker
06-27-2013, 09:36 AM
They could have just did a press release for this announcement, geez.

Romulack
06-27-2013, 09:36 AM
I put off going to the break room to get a donut for this? What a letdown. Guess I'll go have a stale donut and some coffee.

Pete
06-27-2013, 09:38 AM
They could have just did a press release for this announcement, geez.

I believe the governor and the Chamber wanted to make a big deal out of this to promote a big-name company adding management level jobs in OKC.

Also, there may be significant job growth down the line.

adaniel
06-27-2013, 09:41 AM
I believe there will be job growth as well.

But as I said all the way along, this announcement was only going to be for about 100 jobs and everyone else got a bit carried away. :)

Can't believe people are getting bent out of shape over this. We are so spoiled in this area, OKC is essentially at full employment right now so I understand. But think about it this way. This would be the equivalent of 500 jobs in DFW. I would bet Rick Perry and his hair would be all over this. And better yet they are good paying and something other than energy or defense-related.

It may not require a parade but its a nice strengthening and commitment to the area from an established employer.

Pete
06-27-2013, 09:43 AM
Jobs are going to be in their existing facility on Portland north of Memorial.

Bellaboo
06-27-2013, 09:54 AM
Jobs are going to be in their existing facility on Portland north of Memorial.

That is the facility that my neighbor works at, he works from home 4 days a week because they are so crowded there.

Pete
06-27-2013, 09:59 AM
AT&T is only leasing that complex (former Dobson Communications HQ).

In addition to these 100 new jobs, they already employ 600 at that site and 2,000 in OKC total.

Praedura
06-27-2013, 10:34 AM
Sorry, I'm glad for the jobs but seriously, 100 jobs just isn't very many in a city this size. Especially when they are just low-med management positions. Not like they signal an economic or competitive shift for the city (like the GE facility does). Hardly a "major" announcement as it was advertised IMHO.

Bingo. Not even remotely "major". Sheesh.

Rover
06-27-2013, 10:58 AM
For 100 people this is very big news. I think it is arrogant to think that every announcement needs to be about 1000 new jobs paying $150,000 a year. Let's not get to the point where we don't appreciate these kinds of developments. It is sort of like all the infill. Every building doesn't have to be 50 stories tall to be significant and to add to the weave of the fabric of the city. This is very good news. Let us be appreciative of it.

Plutonic Panda
06-27-2013, 11:55 AM
Excellent. Another story to add to OKC's momentum list. It is growing growing. Lets keep it going!!!!

vaflyer
06-27-2013, 12:03 PM
Another positive thing about these 100 jobs: they are entry level management jobs that are presumably aimed at new college graduates. These jobs are another option to keep young people here instead of having to move to Texas.

GaryOKC6
06-27-2013, 12:26 PM
This great news for Oklahoma City. Just like the article stated, they could have moved the jobs anywhere but chose Oklahoma City. With OKC's unemployment rate so low it is harder to find good employees here as it is. That is a deterrent in itself. It says a lot about our city! I consider it a major announcement.

Larry OKC
06-27-2013, 12:26 PM
I put off going to the break room to get a donut for this? What a letdown. Guess I'll go have a stale donut and some coffee.

if the donuts get stale that quickly, you have more serious issues...seriously...:cool:

Jake
06-27-2013, 12:50 PM
Better than OKC losing 100 jobs. Good for the city!

venture
06-27-2013, 02:17 PM
So looks like a quarter of them are actually already hired. Not a bad announcement, average pay of 41k a year, but nothing that would be major. Still nothing to complain about, but nothing to pop corks to either.

CurtisJ
06-27-2013, 03:40 PM
One thing I can't figure out from Steve's article: 100 new management jobs, average of $41K per year.

Now I'm no captain of industry, but if how does a company add 100 "management jobs" without adding any underlings? That would make for a very top heavy and poorly run business.

Doesn't sound like management jobs to me, I hate to beat a dead horse here, but this isn't the major announcement it was trumpeted to be.

Any word on the location of the positions?

Pete
06-27-2013, 04:24 PM
Jobs will be at their existing location at Portland & Memorial.

I think these are "project management" jobs, not people management jobs.

venture
06-27-2013, 05:06 PM
Jobs will be at their existing location at Portland & Memorial.

I think these are "project management" jobs, not people management jobs.

That's what it sounds like. Project or Account managers. Similar to the business account managers at Dell would be my guess - which is pretty close to that same pay grade.

zookeeper
06-27-2013, 05:43 PM
Do we still have that Quality Jobs giveaway program? Is that what this was all about? Is that why the Governor was there? Maybe not, just curious.

Snowman
06-27-2013, 06:03 PM
Do we still have that Quality Jobs giveaway program? Is that what this was all about? Is that why the Governor was there? Maybe not, just curious.

Unless it ended in the last month or two the program is still going on. It has not been a requirement for other companies.

zookeeper
06-27-2013, 07:33 PM
To answer my own question. "The deal includes the offering of undisclosed incentives that will include the Oklahoma Quality Jobs Program, the Training for Industry Program offered by the Oklahoma Department of Career and Technology Education, as well as the Strategic Investment Program coordinated by the chamber." AT&T to add 100 management jobs in Oklahoma City | News OK (http://newsok.com/att-to-add-100-management-jobs-in-oklahoma-city/article/3856748)

Giving away government benefits to AT&T. They say it's our quality of life, maybe more like our willingness to help hurting companies like AT&T. (Yes, a joke)

Can anybody read this story (http://toomuchonline.org/too-big-to-fail-an-executive-suite-story/) and defend the giveaways? Only respond if you're willing to read the entire article. Amazing stupidity.
Too Big to Fail: An Executive Suite Story - AT&T (http://toomuchonline.org/too-big-to-fail-an-executive-suite-story/)

All these conservative anti-government lawmakers show up for these guys to say "suckers" in person.