View Full Version : Bob Stoops House Burglarized

ljbab728
06-19-2013, 11:04 PM
This isn't directly a sports story but it's astounding that someone would be brazen enough to attempt this at a high profile home when people are home.

Home of Sooners' football coach burglarized - Oklahoma City - OKC - KOCO.com (http://www.koco.com/news/oklahomanews/norman/home-of-sooners-football-coach-burglarized/-/11778384/20641290/-/10jgqp6/-/index.html?absolute=true)

Snowman
06-19-2013, 11:17 PM
It would not be suppring if they had no idea who's house it was

soonerguru
06-19-2013, 11:44 PM
surely he has video captures

ljbab728
06-19-2013, 11:54 PM
I'm sure he has multiple security systems. That's why I think it was a brazen act to attempt something like that at a high profile house whether the burglars knew it was his house or not.

Stan Silliman
06-20-2013, 09:07 AM
I think they may have been in pursuit of the statue... of liberty.

Martin
06-20-2013, 09:51 AM
I think they may have been in pursuit of the statue... of liberty.

chris petersen wanted for questioning... -M

Achilleslastand
06-20-2013, 10:13 AM
Im surprised no one has made a Charles Thompson joke yet.

OKCisOK4me
06-20-2013, 02:21 PM
I'm surprised no one has mentioned that it was probably the same low life's that have been looting people's properties in Moore.

zookeeper
06-20-2013, 04:52 PM
From the story it seems that Coach was in Wichita when it happened? He must be really unnerved with his family at home. How does somebody that makes that kind of money not spend $35,000 a year for a night watchman/security? I wish the family well and hope they can sleep safely in their own home, something like this can be very traumatizing. Good luck to them.

bhawes
06-20-2013, 06:11 PM
It had to be a inside job. A house that big had to had a really goo security systems.

stratosphere
06-20-2013, 06:53 PM
A good security system probably, I do wonder if they cut power to his home and there's not a battery backup. This would have allowed for easy entry. Also there is the possibility he spent an arm and a leg on the house but didn't get the highest quality security doors and windows.

Though im also curious that this is an "inside job" as well, as in a friend of the family, etc. Very scary deal. But it happened to me two months ago, luckily the security system saved my house. They will feel very uneasy for the next few weeks, violated even. Hope they catch the ahole(s) responsible.

soonerguru
06-20-2013, 08:50 PM
A good security system probably, I do wonder if they cut power to his home and there's not a battery backup. This would have allowed for easy entry. Also there is the possibility he spent an arm and a leg on the house but didn't get the highest quality security doors and windows.

Though im also curious that this is an "inside job" as well, as in a friend of the family, etc. Very scary deal. But it happened to me two months ago, luckily the security system saved my house. They will feel very uneasy for the next few weeks, violated even. Hope they catch the ahole(s) responsible.

It's also possible that he's a typical Norman resident. Surprising as it is, not a lot of folks in Norman have alarm systems. It's weird, I know.

ljbab728
06-20-2013, 08:54 PM
I'm not sure if all of this information has been confirmed yet.

Police: Vehicle stolen in burglary at Stoops' home (http://www.foxsportssouthwest.com/fox-sports-networks/story/Police-Vehicle-stolen-in-burglary-at-Sto?blockID=913699&feedID=3742)

A police source told FOXSportsSouthwest.com early Thursday that the intruders are assumed to be people who have been working construction or other jobs around the house. The source said the alarm to the house was not set and the security gate was opened and the robbers came in wearing masks, according to the source who said police had video of the incident.

Cash and other items were reported stolen and it will be considered a first-degree burglary because people were at home at the time.

kevinpate
06-20-2013, 10:53 PM
It would not surprise me if the system was present but not armed. I've seen/read about such that particular situation on numerous occasions, involving both residential and commercial facilities.

kd5kzy
06-21-2013, 04:05 PM
Local media had photos of the home lined with security company vehicles. It is either and upgrade, or initial install. One would expect a multi-million dollar property to have state of the art security in place. And, as Kevin pointed out, it is useless unless armed. Media reports the burglars roamed around picking items up at will, to include a vehicle. I will go with "the system wasn't armed".

TheSocialGadfly
06-21-2013, 11:57 PM
Two sought in home invasion of Oklahoma football coach Bob Stoops | NewsOK.com (http://m.newsok.com/two-sought-in-home-invasion-of-oklahoma-football-coach-bob-stoops/article/3855224)

Officials have issued a BOLO for two very intelligent suspects who attempted to use Stoops' stolen credit card, all the while seemingly unaware that virtually every place at which the card can be used -- be it an ATM, gas pump, or retail checkout -- will be saturated with surveillance technology.

Sheesh. They're making investigators' jobs too easy here.

kevinpate
06-22-2013, 01:38 AM

There's a reason DOC is frequently at capacity, and it's not the first rate chow.

Easy180
06-22-2013, 05:21 AM
Local media had photos of the home lined with security company vehicles. It is either and upgrade, or initial install. One would expect a multi-million dollar property to have state of the art security in place. And, as Kevin pointed out, it is useless unless armed. Media reports the burglars roamed around picking items up at will, to include a vehicle. I will go with "the system wasn't armed".

Assuming the "system" will be breathing in oxygen and exhaling carbon dioxide going forward

ljbab728
06-22-2013, 11:34 PM
Well, this didn't take too long. Obviously the burglars were not too sophisticated.

Two in custody in Oklahoma football coach Bob Stoops' home burglary | News OK (http://newsok.com/two-in-custody-in-oklahoma-football-coach-bob-stoops-home-burglary/article/3855497)

mugofbeer
06-23-2013, 12:32 PM
No, look at the pics that were posted when they apparently tried to use his credit cards. THey also apparently bragged about it to someone. Not old and not at all bright.

bluedogok
06-23-2013, 01:05 PM
It would not surprise me if the system was present but not armed. I've seen/read about such that particular situation on numerous occasions, involving both residential and commercial facilities.
Yep, the second time that our house in Austin was burglarized we had got in late from a vacation in Denver and my wife left for work late and forgot to set the alarm. There was a small window on the front door and you could see the alarm panel, green when off and red when on. They threw a brick through the kitchen window to check if it was on. When the house was broken into nine months earlier the alarm went off when the motion sensor picked them up in the living room and all they got was my laptop because it was sitting on a table and they grabbed it on their way out as the power cord was unplugged going around a corner in the hall. We have many more sensors on the house in Denver and a cell based dialer with battery backup.

OKCDrummer77
06-23-2013, 09:49 PM
No, look at the pics that were posted when they apparently tried to use his credit cards. THey also apparently bragged about it to someone. Not old and not at all bright.

"You're Abe Froman? The Sausage King of Chicago?"

MadMonk
06-24-2013, 11:33 AM
Looks like the Sooners may have a couple new tackling dummies for practice. :)

stratosphere
06-24-2013, 05:00 PM
It's also possible that he's a typical Norman resident. Surprising as it is, not a lot of folks in Norman have alarm systems. It's weird, I know.

That is very strange

stratosphere
06-24-2013, 05:02 PM
Two sought in home invasion of Oklahoma football coach Bob Stoops | NewsOK.com (http://m.newsok.com/two-sought-in-home-invasion-of-oklahoma-football-coach-bob-stoops/article/3855224)

Officials have issued a BOLO for two very intelligent suspects who attempted to use Stoops' stolen credit card, all the while seemingly unaware that virtually every place at which the card can be used -- be it an ATM, gas pump, or retail checkout -- will be saturated with surveillance technology.

They pretty much have to. The only thing Norman cops are really good for is writing tickets, arresting college students, etc. Occasionally they get lucky with something like this but not too often.

Just the facts
06-28-2013, 12:08 PM
"You're Abe Froman? The Sausage King of Chicago?"

I wonder if it went down like this.

PDoYXZHK9aQ