View Full Version : Add word to Dictionary question

Prunepicker
06-12-2013, 02:10 PM
When I a word to the dictionary, say on OKCtalk, where is that dictionary located? Is it from my word processor? I'd like to review
those words.

OKCisOK4me
06-12-2013, 02:18 PM
missing a word there or I'm reading it wrong...

Plutonic Panda
06-12-2013, 02:31 PM
When I a word to the dictionary, say on OKCtalk, where is that dictionary located? Is it from my word processor? I'd like to review
those words.You mean when your computer doesn't recognize a word you typed and you add it to your computers dictionary?

OKCisOK4me
06-12-2013, 03:09 PM
It's not the web browser, it's your actual computer. If the word has the red squiggly line underneath it, you highlight the word, right-click it and select the option 'add to dictionary'. That way when you use the word the way you mean to use it in the future, your computer won't mistake its use.

Plutonic Panda
06-12-2013, 03:32 PM
I think what he's asking is that, if there is a way to overview all of the words you've added to the dictionary over the years. I would think Office would have something like that. but I'm sure there's another way

OKCisOK4me
06-12-2013, 04:06 PM
I think what he's asking is that, if there is a way to overview all of the words you've added to the dictionary over the years. I would think Office would have something like that. but I'm sure there's another way

This is for Firefox, which is what I use so maybe this will help lead him on the right path:

Edit Firefox?s Spelling Dictionary · cavemonkey50.com (http://cavemonkey50.com/2007/03/edit-firefoxs-spelling-dictionary/)

This is the question I posed on Google:

"how do I access the words I've added to my user dictionary on my computer?" (without the quotation marks).

Prunepicker
06-12-2013, 07:44 PM
missing a word there or I'm reading it wrong...
Oops, when I add a word...

Prunepicker
06-12-2013, 07:45 PM
You mean when your computer doesn't recognize a word you typed and you
add it to your computers dictionary?
Exactly.

Prunepicker
06-12-2013, 07:46 PM
I think what he's asking is that, if there is a way to overview all of the words
you've added to the dictionary over the years. I would think Office would
have something like that. but I'm sure there's another way
Yes. I want to review the words in the dictionary and make any necessary
corrections.

Prunepicker
06-12-2013, 07:56 PM
This is for Firefox, which is what I use so maybe this will help lead him on the
right path:

Edit Firefox?s Spelling Dictionary · cavemonkey50.com (http://cavemonkey50.com/2007/03/edit-firefoxs-spelling-dictionary/)
It was close. Thanks for the help. I'll see what I can come up with. I
thought this would be a piece of cake for somebody. Kinda like someone
asking me a question about arranging Stairway to Heaven for string quartet
or the refractive index of a coke bottle.
LOL.

OKCisOK4me
06-12-2013, 09:12 PM
Yeah, I'll be sitting with friends all the time and a friend will come up with a random question that none of us have the answer to. So we all sit there stumped and then I remember to pull out my cellphone and ask away, lol, so you're welcome.

Oh and the refractive index of a coke bottle sounds pretty interesting.

zookeeper
06-12-2013, 09:22 PM
If you're using Windows then it has more to do with what browser you use when posting online and your office suite to a certain extent. These dictionaries are not computer specific, but browser and application specific.

OKCisOK4me
06-12-2013, 09:24 PM
If you're using Windows then it has more to do with what browser you use when posting online and your office suite to a certain extent. These dictionaries are not computer specific, but browser and application specific.

So do you have an answer of how to get there?

Prunepicker
06-14-2013, 11:27 AM
Oh and the refractive index of a coke bottle sounds pretty interesting.
You've heard the phrase, "glasses as thick as coke bottles". The refractive index
is about the same as a typical glass lens, @ 1.53, however, the material is so
unrefined that making a lens from it isn't practical.

Prunepicker
06-14-2013, 11:30 AM
If you're using Windows then it has more to do with what browser you use
when posting online and your office suite to a certain extent. These dictionaries
are not computer specific, but browser and application specific.
Windows xp and Firefox. Any ideas?

I found that the dictionary, located on the computer, can be changed using
a text editor. What's a text editor? I know it isn't the word processor.

jerrywall
06-14-2013, 11:56 AM
Here you go.

Remove misspelled words from your Firefox dictionary (http://lifehacker.com/244497/remove-misspelled-words-from-your-firefox-dictionary)

Just use notepad to edit based on those instructions.

Jim Kyle
06-14-2013, 12:24 PM
Windows xp and Firefox. Any ideas?

I found that the dictionary, located on the computer, can be changed using
a text editor. What's a text editor? I know it isn't the word processor.Notepad is the standard text editor for WinXP. There are many more that you can download, but Notepad will do what you want.

Prunepicker
06-14-2013, 12:28 PM
Notepad is the standard text editor for WinXP. There are many more that you
can download, but Notepad will do what you want.
Thanks!

Prunepicker
06-14-2013, 12:29 PM
Here you go.

Remove misspelled words from your Firefox dictionary (http://lifehacker.com/244497/remove-misspelled-words-from-your-firefox-dictionary)

I'll try this. Thanks!

Prunepicker
06-14-2013, 12:59 PM
Here you go.

It took some doing, like showing hidden files, but it worked.
Thanks.