View Full Version : Street Outlaws on Discovery Channel follows OKC Street Racers

adaniel
06-10-2013, 02:08 PM
So, this should be, um, interesting.

Street Outlaws : Discovery Channel (http://dsc.discovery.com/tv-shows/street-outlaws)

Debuts tonight at 9 PM. Anyone else watching?

Mel
06-10-2013, 03:50 PM
I will be watching Longmire but I will catch the repeat later.

OKCisOK4me
06-10-2013, 03:54 PM
So, this should be, um, interesting.

Street Outlaws : Discovery Channel (http://dsc.discovery.com/tv-shows/street-outlaws)

Debuts tonight at 9 PM. Anyone else watching?

I'll be at my aunts doing laundry tonight so at least I'll have something to watch.

Mel
06-10-2013, 03:58 PM
Back in the day nw 39th used to be a drag strip. Especially the further west you went on it.

OKCisOK4me
06-10-2013, 04:46 PM
Back in the day nw 39th used to be a drag strip. Especially the further west you went on it.

Hence the No U-turn signs stating no u-turns between 11pm and 6am along all of NW 39th St. That wasn't all that long ago.

Plutonic Panda
06-10-2013, 05:18 PM
Hence the No U-turn signs stating no u-turns between 11pm and 6am along all of NW 39th St. That wasn't all that long ago.What is the purpose of that? I could never figure it out.

Achilleslastand
06-10-2013, 05:49 PM
Its purpose was to cut on down on the kids crusing/having fun. They pretty much did the same thing to air depot and 12th st in moore.

OKCisOK4me
06-10-2013, 06:09 PM
What is the purpose of that? I could never figure it out.

Quarter mile racing on NW 39th. Kids would u-turn all the time when they saw other cars they wanted to race. The cities of OKC and Bethany made it against the laws during those hours that they'd be out and then could also issue tickets for breaking of the law. That's why racing has moved up to NW Expressway.

Achilleslastand
06-10-2013, 06:19 PM
Quarter mile racing on NW 39th. Kids would u-turn all the time when they saw other cars they wanted to race. The cities of OKC and Bethany made it against the laws during those hours that they'd be out and then could also issue tickets for breaking of the law. That's why racing has moved up to NW Expressway.

When i was in high school there was a 1/4 mile marked off between Memorial and 122nd on N Penn that we frequented whenever we wanted to "run em". This was way before the apts were there or any type of business whatsoever. It was nothing but 4 lanes and open fields.
But back to the crusing thing i always thought it was a bummer and other then some burnt rubber and someones ego getting hurt i never saw any wrecks,fights or shootings.

Mel
06-10-2013, 06:52 PM
Hence the No U-turn signs stating no u-turns between 11pm and 6am along all of NW 39th St. That wasn't all that long ago.

All I remember is the late 60's doing it. Some folks will always like pushing the envelope on their toys.

Plutonic Panda
06-11-2013, 04:05 AM
Quarter mile racing on NW 39th. Kids would u-turn all the time when they saw other cars they wanted to race. The cities of OKC and Bethany made it against the laws during those hours that they'd be out and then could also issue tickets for breaking of the law. That's why racing has moved up to NW Expressway.You might see me up there lol jk ;) I do love racing and fast cars though.

Plutonic Panda
06-11-2013, 04:09 AM
Its purpose was to cut on down on the kids crusing/having fun. They pretty much did the same thing to air depot and 12th st in moore.Couldn't find the clip I wanted, but I suppose this will do :/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f68VXKMZT1Q

Being a bigger buzz kill than Buzz Killington lol

Bill Robertson
06-11-2013, 06:21 AM
All I remember is the late 60's doing it. Some folks will always like pushing the envelope on their toys.We were still racing on 39th in the late 70s. I had a '68 LeMans at the time. It had a 400, built with lots of go-fast goodies, backed up by a 4 speed and a 4.11 Posi-Trac.

RadicalModerate
06-11-2013, 08:08 AM
a blast from the past . . .
http://www.okctalk.com/ask-anything-about-okc/33213-when-why-did-cruising-stop.html