View Full Version : Free to good home

mranderson
07-05-2005, 11:51 AM
His human mom was not able to keep him in her home, so, his human grandmom said she would take him until he found a home.

She is financially able to raise him, but with four acres and a large house to take care of alone, and a 60 hour per week job, it is very difficult.

He is 18 months old, a male (not neutered), well taken care of, gentle, and healthy.

He is scared of thunder and his Beagle housemate who is seven.

This lovable dog is a Pit Bull.

For more information PM me.

mranderson
07-15-2005, 07:59 PM
Meet Poseidon. He wants a big yard where he can play with you and run around. He is registered.

http://www.okpulse.com/images/mranderson/pitt4.jpg

http://www.okpulse.com/images/mranderson/pitt2.jpg

http://www.okpulse.com/images/mranderson/pitt3.jpg

http://www.okpulse.com/images/mranderson/pitt3_1.jpg

kellekokid
07-16-2005, 07:42 PM
you know I wish I could but I have 2 dogs already and a house mate that says no more. :Smiley099
I do hope the best for this pup he's a beauty!!

mranderson
07-18-2005, 11:17 AM
Here is my wish list for Poseidon.

I would like for him to go to a home with children. He is VERY gentle and would be good around them. However, he is VERY strong, so he would need playtime with supervision.

He needs a large fence in backyard so he can run and play. Right now, he is confined to a long chain. He is not happy, but there is no other choice. He is taken to a fenced area to excersise in the evening, but not as long as he would like.

The home chosen must include people that will commit to giving him the playful attention he wants. Also to investing the time to train him. He knows some commands, however, he is not fully trained.

I will NOT, under any cicumstances, give him to anyone who wants a guard dog or worse. This is a VERY gentle animal who likes the attention of people. If you want a guard dog, then he is not the dog for you. He will be protective, however, I do not want to spoil this dog.

We may have him neutered before he is given away, however, we would prefer the new owner do this. Proper health care must be assured.

If I am not 100% convinced it is the right home, we reserve the right to decline the potential home (for any reason).

I just want this dog to have a loving, happy home inwhich he will be a family pet.

mranderson
08-10-2005, 11:56 AM
As soon as his wings are clipped and transportation is arrainged, Poesidon will go to a Pit Bull rescue in the St. Louis, Missouri area.

They will care for him indefinatly until they find a family to raise him. In fact, they have a website, however I have not been sent the link. They also accept donations dedicated to a certain dogs care.

If anyone is interested in the site, pm me and I will send the link when I get it. In the meantime, thanks for at least listening. I only wish we could have found him a home locally. However, Oklahoma's pre-concieved attitude toward Pit Bull's made it imposible to find.

crzydgldy
08-16-2005, 08:03 AM
PLEASE reconsider this type of ad in the future. I understand everything is working out for this fellow, but "Free To Good Home" ads are where unscrupulous people prey. The reason being this type of ad implies there is no value to the animal. I know this is not the intent, but this is how it's perceived. These ads are answered by very sincere sounding people who then take the animals & sell them to labs or use them as "bait animals" to train their own fighting dogs.

mranderson
08-16-2005, 08:20 AM
PLEASE reconsider this type of ad in the future. I understand everything is working out for this fellow, but "Free To Good Home" ads are where unscrupulous people prey. The reason being this type of ad implies there is no value to the animal. I know this is not the intent, but this is how it's perceived. These ads are answered by very sincere sounding people who then take the animals & sell them to labs or use them as "bait animals" to train their own fighting dogs.

Trust me. We screened many people before making a decision on where he would go. As it turns out, he may not go to St. Louis afterall. A man who has known Karen's daughter for years found out about him and may take him. He has been carefully screened to make sure he is sincere on his intentions.

Many people were eliminated for the reasons you stated. The only reason he was given away instead of sold is because she does not need the money and he needs a loving home.

This policy about give away pets was written by me when this forum was started, and a guideline was to screen possible new owners. Thank you anyway.

crzydgldy
08-16-2005, 06:52 PM
[QUOTE=mranderson] The only reason he was given away instead of sold is because she does not need the money and he needs a loving home.

I understand this completely. My only concern is with the WORDING of the ad. It attracts all the wrong people. Why not post an animal for sale, this is going to filter out the ones looking for free animals, find it a good home & then negotiate whether any money will trade hands. Perhaps, in lieu of payment donate an agreed upon amount to the animal shelter or a local rescue group.
Sounds like this is a moot point now anyway.

Curt
08-16-2005, 07:23 PM
I used to have two Dachshunds that belonged to my girlfriend and I, she passed away a few years ago but I kept the dogs as long as I could, but working all the time and not being around for them I decided the best thing to do was go to Dachshund rescue. Although that was the hardest thing I have ever had to do in my life, they ended up staying with the foster home because they screened alot of people and did not trust any of them, the woman where they live now has a stay at home job so she is home all day with them, and they have other Dachshunds also. I know they got a good home, but I still miss them to death. I never even considerd putting an ad in the paper free to good home, people who get pets for free usually dont take good care of them. Had I had any doubts about the home they were going to I would have kept them. My point is, the animal rescue places are the best places to go to when you can no longer take care of a pet. Animals, like children are innocent and have no idea what is going on, they deserve good homes. It breaks my heart to see an animal that is neglected.

mranderson
08-16-2005, 08:01 PM
The reasons I did not post an ad selling him was as follows.

One. We had no intentions of selling him. We do not mind giving someone who wants a nice dog the gift of one.

Two. We (OKC Talk) toyed with the idea of pets for sale ads in this forum, however, it was decided that because we have a classified section, we would not allow for sale ads in the pet forum. (I will not bust your ad, by the way)

I understand your concern, however, we have been quite careful. My dad has an employee who is a private detective. I had him investigate every applicant. We even had one that had a felony arrest warrant for animal cruelty. I had strict guidelines. Many people who applied were Bubba's and looked and acted like hillbillies. They were automatically eliminated although we did not tell them why. We took information and either called or wrote people who we rejected.

So. Although you may be correct (not neccessarily, however), great care was taken as if we were a shelter.

Curt
08-16-2005, 08:07 PM
As long as the Dog got a good home, that is really all that matters. My buddys mom has three pit bulls, they are great dogs when I am around, the one female Isis just loves me to death, always wants up in my lap.

crzydgldy
08-16-2005, 08:14 PM
We do not mind giving someone who wants a nice dog the gift of one.

You missed my point completely.

In fact, Kristi, the woman who was to take Poesidon to St. Louis, told me we were actually stricter than the strictest shelter or rescue

No, I didn't. Careful putting words into people's mouths.

mranderson
08-16-2005, 09:21 PM
We do not mind giving someone who wants a nice dog the gift of one.

You missed my point completely.

In fact, Kristi, the woman who was to take Poesidon to St. Louis, told me we were actually stricter than the strictest shelter or rescue

No, I didn't. Careful putting words into people's mouths.
I made a big error and I want to publicly appologize.

I said some things that were not accurate about the dog and his new home. Although there was a screening process, I went too far and for that I am truly sorry. No one other than me was involved in the screening process. I understand the points being made completely, and I know Poseidon will be much happier.

I stepped out of bounds on the comment about the screening, and I am so truly sorry for saying things I should not have. By the way. I got some posts mixed. The for sale ad was another thread and another member. Hopefully, all is forgiven. I completely understand being upset with me over something I did totally out of bounds.

Curt
08-16-2005, 09:28 PM
Dont look at me, I was never upset, or have I missed something? Whatever, let it ride, all is good as far as I am concerned.

mranderson
08-18-2005, 11:36 AM
Here is the final installment.

Poesidon went to his new home Tuesday night. His former owner had the contact and after careful screening, she made the decision to give him to his new owner.