View Full Version : Storm Shelters

Pages : [1] 2

Servicetech571
06-08-2013, 08:20 AM
We're looking to have one installed, what is the best type and who are the best installers in the metro?

Plutonic Panda
06-08-2013, 10:07 AM
I would suggest Oz, seeing as they took a direct hit from the E-F5 in Moore and survived. They also seem like great products. They're above ground to.

mkjeeves
06-08-2013, 01:41 PM
I'm having one of these saferooms installed in my garage next week. I took these photos of their shelters at OKC West Stockyards last Sunday, two days after the Friday tornado came through there. (I'd sure like to know what the rating of the tornado was at that location!?)

I found them on the internet searching for that type design, precast that can be installed in an existing garage. I had called the company the week prior to see if they sold their products in Oklahoma and when they told me there were some at the West Stockyards we planned to go see them. I did not know at the time I would be looking at field tested models! Those overturned signs on the far left are precast concrete.

http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/5263/shelter6.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img689/5760/sheter.jpg

Vaughn Concrete Products. Based in Amarillo. Pricing is on their PDF brochures but does not cover some few hundreds more for Oklahoma delivery.

Storm Shelters (http://vaughnconcreteproducts.com/storm-shelters1)

Jon27
06-08-2013, 06:44 PM
We ordered a Flat Safe last week. They're putting it in in August. We looked at Smart Shelters too, but ended up liking the flat design. The Flat Safe seems like it'll be less prone to rusting. The Smart Shelter has a painted epoxy coating all over. My parents have a Storm Safe that is the same way, and the lid is rusting. The Flat Safe we got is galvanized, and it has that epoxy garage floor coating with the speckles on the lid. Can't remember the right name for that. Both seem like good companies in my opinion.

Easy180
06-08-2013, 08:22 PM
We ordered a Flat Safe last week. They're putting it in in August. We looked at Smart Shelters too, but ended up liking the flat design. The Flat Safe seems like it'll be less prone to rusting. The Smart Shelter has a painted epoxy coating all over. My parents have a Storm Safe that is the same way, and the lid is rusting. The Flat Safe we got is galvanized, and it has that epoxy garage floor coating with the speckles on the lid. Can't remember the right name for that. Both seem like good companies in my opinion.

Used Flat Safe as well last year...Sold our house this spring before we could even use it but they did a good job as far as we could tell

Jon27
06-08-2013, 08:33 PM
Used Flat Safe as well last year...Sold our house this spring before we could even use it but they did a good job as far as we could tell

The tornado came within 5 miles of our house in Yukon before turning. Had to get one after that. Way too close for comfort. I'm hoping that it is as flush with the floor. Putting it in the third garage bay, and hoping I can still roll lawn equipment over it. I liked in their showroom how they had them installed in the floor rather than sitting out. We could actually walk down there to see how it would really be rather than duck into the side. Hope you got a storm shelter at your new place! Good life insurance policy!

Celebrator
06-08-2013, 08:51 PM
We installed with Ground Zero winter of '12. I preferred their design to Flat Safe's (different type of lid). It is still in good shape and shows no sign of rust.

Easy180
06-08-2013, 11:42 PM
The tornado came within 5 miles of our house in Yukon before turning. Had to get one after that. Way too close for comfort. I'm hoping that it is as flush with the floor. Putting it in the third garage bay, and hoping I can still roll lawn equipment over it. I liked in their showroom how they had them installed in the floor rather than sitting out. We could actually walk down there to see how it would really be rather than duck into the side. Hope you got a storm shelter at your new place! Good life insurance policy!

Definitely putting one in at our new place...Will not go without one ever again

BBatesokc
06-09-2013, 05:13 AM
Guess we are gonna go with one in the garage since our garage is long enough to allow us to pull forward instead of backing our cars outside and into any hail.

I need one raised just a bit from the floor just in case water gets inside my garage - don't wanna be sealed in there with water coming in - pretty certain the wife would be clawing to get back out.

Still holding out for a federal grant to pay for it though.

WilliamTell
06-09-2013, 06:13 AM

We have one in our current house but are planning on moving, any more news on the rebate time frame ?

venture
06-09-2013, 07:28 AM
We have one in our current house but are planning on moving, any more news on the rebate time frame ?

Depends on who you apply through. I know a couple years back, using myself as an example, Norman did a lottery but so did Cleveland County. I didn't get selected by Norman but I am on the list for Cleveland County. The problem though is that money ran out or never arrived for the Cleveland County part. So as of the last update, we are all on the waitlist for the next round of funding. I read somewhere that the grants through the state's program are already done for the year - you had to sign up by January I think.

BBatesokc
06-09-2013, 01:28 PM
I saw some banks doing no interest, easy qualifying terms for shelter loans.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
06-09-2013, 01:48 PM
Guess we are gonna go with one in the garage since our garage is long enough to allow us to pull forward instead of backing our cars outside and into any hail.

I need one raised just a bit from the floor just in case water gets inside my garage - don't wanna be sealed in there with water coming in - pretty certain the wife would be clawing to get back out.

I'm curious as to why you'd go for one in the garage. If memory serves, you said you have a couple of acres...Aren't the outoor in-ground ones a lot cheaper?

Not picking in any way...I'm just wondering if there's any benefit to the indoor ones that make them worth the expense...Just closer and staying out of the rain?

<<<had one of the outdoor in-ground ones put in last year and has already spent entirely too much time in it

blangtang
06-09-2013, 02:01 PM
just curious, has anyone heard or seen examples of certain styles of storm shelters that fared well in this recent bout of weather, and any styles that failed, or had problems?

I want to say I saw a little clip of some kind of shelter where the people inside were trying to keep the hatch shut, due to some faulty hinge or latch system.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
06-09-2013, 02:05 PM
I would think that if a shelter failed, the news would be on that like stink on a monkey and we'd never hear the end of it.

My door has a pretty robust latch, plus two "dogs" that you throw once you're inside...If my door comes open on accident, chances are it's got a Ford F250 embedded in it.

zookeeper
06-09-2013, 02:16 PM
just curious, has anyone heard or seen examples of certain styles of storm shelters that fared well in this recent bout of weather, and any styles that failed, or had problems?

I want to say I saw a little clip of some kind of shelter where the people inside were trying to keep the hatch shut, due to some faulty hinge or latch system.

Above ground shelters with the right specs. OZ (safe rooms, shelters) is a good example. The above ground shelters all use different specs, but the best companies use specifications that were first made for the little buildings that monitored atomic bomb testings in the desert from 1945-the late 50's. Those small buildings that can be seen in some footage of these tests were built for cameras and instruments that were top-secret, we've still seen few photos from them. They were built to withstand the blast and the blast winds (waves) of these bombs. They don't budge. A direct hit from an EF-5 leaves them shrugging their shoulders as if a piece of dust landed on them. No water table issues, no flooding, no worries about being trapped. The key is finding and using reputable dealers, don't just go by their word, but a quick check on the web pretty much gives you a good idea.

BBatesokc
06-09-2013, 02:18 PM
I'm curious as to why you'd go for one in the garage. If memory serves, you said you have a couple of acres...Aren't the outoor in-ground ones a lot cheaper?

Not picking in any way...I'm just wondering if there's any benefit to the indoor ones that make them worth the expense...Just closer and staying out of the rain?

<<<had one of the outdoor in-ground ones put in last year and has already spent entirely too much time in it

I'm no fan of running outside during a storm to get in my shelter (rain, hail, lightning, falling trees or limbs, etc.) and not too keen to peek out in what may be the middle of the worst part.

In the garage I can remain above ground until necessary and not get wet or pummeled in route.

Also, had relatives that had a garage shelter put in and it was the same price as many outdoor shelters (though a tiny bit smaller).

Oh GAWD the Smell!
06-09-2013, 02:28 PM
I'm no fan of running outside during a storm to get in my shelter (rain, hail, lightning, falling trees or limbs, etc.) and not too keen to peek out in what may be the middle of the worst part.

In the garage I can remain above ground until necessary and not get wet or pummeled in route.

Also, had relatives that had a garage shelter put in and it was the same price as many outdoor shelters (though a tiny bit smaller).

Right on. I figured that was about it. Although the pricing thing was not our experience last year when we checked around...The in-floor ones were almost a grand more. Guess we could have checked around some more :D

BBatesokc
06-09-2013, 02:32 PM
Right on. I figured that was about it. Although the pricing thing was not our experience last year when we checked around...The in-floor ones were almost a grand more. Guess we could have checked around some more :D

If memory serves me they received something like a $2,600 rebate and the unit was only $2,400 installed. Either way the rebate more than covered their purchase and install.

venture
06-09-2013, 04:38 PM
If memory serves me they received something like a $2,600 rebate and the unit was only $2,400 installed. Either way the rebate more than covered their purchase and install.

Most rebates will only cover up to 75% of the cost, even if the total rebate available is more than the cost of the unit. So they lucked out very well.

LandRunOkie
12-10-2013, 02:33 PM
Most rebates will only cover up to 75% of the cost, even if the total rebate available is more than the cost of the unit. So they lucked out very well.
What do these companies charge? Very few prices are available online.

mkjeeves
12-10-2013, 03:11 PM
What do these companies charge? Very few prices are available online.

I don't know anything about this company but they have prices on their webpage.

Biggs Backhoe | Serving Oklahoma City Metro for Storm Shelters, Safe Rooms, Septic Systems & Dozer Work (http://www.biggsstormshelters.com/biggsstormshelters.com/index.html#)

We bought a precast above ground one for about double of what a similar one would cost from Biggs. It came from:

Vaughn Concrete Products, Inc. (http://vaughnconcreteproducts.com/)

The brochures on the vaughn website list prices but it's about $800 more for OKC installation IIRC. I called them and they gave me a price over the phone. The vaughn shelters are on display at the OKC West Stockyards and were hit in the tornado that went through there in May. Photos of that are on their facebook webpage. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vaughn-Concrete-Products-Inc/152968351390280

(I took a couple of those photos.)

LandRunOkie
12-10-2013, 05:13 PM
Thanks for the info. I like the look of those doors on the Vaughn ones like what you have. I would give preference to an in-state company if I were to buy, though.
Btw, this thread might should be moved to the Retail & Services category.

ou48A
12-10-2013, 06:06 PM
A lot will depend on what your needs are.
Underground and out of a garage is better IMHO but that’s not always practical.
Your home and its configuration may limit options.
Be sure and check with your city about its codes and get your shelter registered.
There were many people trapped in their shelters for many hours after the 2013 Moore tornado

PennyQuilts
01-09-2014, 06:12 PM
We've ordered a 9 X 7 (internal measurements) above ground shelter from Storm Shelters - Highway 76 Sales LLC (http://www.hwy76sales.com/storm-shelters.html). It was originally scheduled to be installed about now but the weather has delayed pouring it. We're not sure when they will have it ready but we need to get the ground prepared before it gets here. It is going in right off our back patio next to the house so we can wire it for internet, power, etc. Obviously, we'd lose power if a tornado came through but usually that doesn't happen and we could monitor the weather in safety while we hunkered down - probably check in on Venture's weather website. The shed can be used for storage in the off season.

We wanted an above ground because we have dogs and are getting older. We could have put one in the garage but it would have had to be really small and even then would have crowded husband's mini workshop. I looked into the under the car ones but he was adamant that he didn't want one of those. He was worried about the car being damaged and leaking nasty fluids while we were trapped inside. Our garage door faces south and that made me a little nervous about such a big opening just waiting for the winds to snatch away the house.

We had some people out to give us estimates on a below ground right outside the back door. One didn't show and one came out and spent almost two hours going over the yard. He seemed very thorough and upfront, and enthusiastically assured us he had lots of people who had shelters we could go look at, installed. He promised to set up a time for us to go see one - and we never heard back from him.

We also had someone who had done a lot of work for us who specializes in concrete buildings. He gave us an estimate for an above ground that attached to the house and had a door to the master bathroom. I would have loved that but didn't want to spend $18,000 even though the room would have been fantastic for a panic room/office/etc. I think the estimate was more than reasonable for what he was suggesting but more than we needed.

mkjeeves
01-09-2014, 07:09 PM
Good choice. I've heard more than one story about people putting in below ground and later either getting injured or not being healthy enough to make it down the stairs. I bought a 120 and 12 volt TV and put an antenna in the attic. Reception is good enough to pick up the primary local channels so I should be good through power and cable outages until the garage blows away and takes the antenna with it. My above ground shelter is in my garage. My cell phone works inside without any problems too, both voice and data.

PennyQuilts
01-10-2014, 07:18 AM
Good choice. I've heard more than one story about people putting in below ground and later either getting injured or not being healthy enough to make it down the stairs. I bought a 120 and 12 volt TV and put an antenna in the attic. Reception is good enough to pick up the primary local channels so I should be good through power and cable outages until the garage blows away and takes the antenna with it. My above ground shelter is in my garage. My cell phone works inside without any problems too, both voice and data.

Getting an antenna sounds like a good idea. We're looking forward to tarting it up with emergency gear. I am not sure how well the cell will work in a concrete reinforced building but will find out. We've found some supercool led lanterns. There are some battery things that would be helpful but don't want to store certain things in an enclosed building for any length of time. Not sure if we will move the portable generator over there during storm season but gas cans would have to stay outside. I'll have to think about whether we want to bring them in with us during a warning or leave them out and hope nothing hits. So much to think about.

mkjeeves
01-10-2014, 07:38 AM
I tried a couple of rabbit ear type of antennas first and they just wouldn't do it. Then bought this one which is not recommended to be inside a house but it works inside my garage in the eve. You are farther away from the stations IIRC like Mustang? so I don't know if it would work for you or not. Also don't know what one does about lightning and TV antennas which is one reason I put mine inside, besides the fact it was easy to do.

Amazon.com: Antennas Direct ClearStream4 HDTV Antenna: Electronics (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001BRXW74/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

I have a 12 volt battery I use for my CPAP and it will run the TV. I also thought about getting a long cord to plug into the car parked in the garage and leaving it coiled up and ready.

One thing that always makes us wait until the last minute is being glued to coverage, so I wanted to eliminate that by making it quick and easy to watch from the shelter.

Other prepper supplies I've gathered, 5-gallon bucket with lid for a toilet, paper, kitty litter, litter pan for the kitties. Plus water and usual other stuff one might think of. I plan to gather up some extra clothes, gloves, raincoat and basic stuff one might need after a tornado but haven't yet.

PennyQuilts
01-10-2014, 04:11 PM
I read somewhere that you should leave a pair of clothes, including heavy shoes, in your shelter in case you have to go there while in your pj's. A couple of pairs of heavy gloves would be a must. I figure if the house blew down we'd just go stay with family but having medication, glasses and extra contacts needs to be there.

boscorama
01-10-2014, 06:19 PM
We have an old (1970ish) cellar built into the front porch. It has real concrete stairs (not a ladder) and big enough except in height for someone as tall as the husband. No built-in seating but a couple of folding chairs await. Metal shelves hold many gallons of water, candles, and lighters.

I'm not sure how secure the door would be in an F5, as we've never had to go down and close it. IIRC there are chains involved. Really should figure it out or get a safe room. One neat thing is the dogs have access on hot days, or when they're home alone, frightened of thunder.

PennyQuilts
01-10-2014, 06:53 PM
I liked having a basement back in Virginia because it stayed cool in the summer time and our Samoyeds could stay there, in comfort, while we were at work. It was a walkout so they could get outside. One of the reasons I liked the idea of a panic room attached to the house was that one of my dogs is really afraid of storms. She'd be so happy to go in there where it is quiet. When we looked at the model we bought, it was soooo quiet, even with the door open.

Never having had a storm shelter, I am having to wrap my brain around that option, stocking it, etc. Before, I just hauled the dogs' crates into the center closet, had their leashes ready, locked the gates outside (in case the girls got scared and bolted - NOT to keep the twister out), gathered up batteries, flashlights, blankets, pillows and gassed up the phones/ipads. If things got too hairy looking, we could leave but the only time we ever did that was last May 31. Knowing we can stay at home with the dogs will be a lot less stressful, especially since we are planning to wire it to keep internet and power (as long as it holds). We have an extra futon out in the barn that is just in the way so we'll probably stick it in there. I suggested putting in a bucket if we needed it but husband says if we are using a bucket as a toilet, he will be standing outside with the tornado. Or going back inside the house.

Yeah, you might want to take a look at that door to make sure it works or is workable. Surely it could be replaced if it needed to be and that would be cheaper than getting a whole new shelter. Having some place with cement stairs sounds pretty sturdy, to me. And very handy.

Servicetech571
01-11-2014, 09:44 AM
We've ordered a 9 X 7 (internal measurements) above ground shelter from Storm Shelters - Highway 76 Sales LLC (http://www.hwy76sales.com/storm-shelters.html). It was originally scheduled to be installed about now but the weather has delayed pouring it. We're not sure when they will have it ready but we need to get the ground prepared before it gets here. It is going in right off our back patio next to the house so we can wire it for internet, power, etc. Obviously, we'd lose power if a tornado came through but usually that doesn't happen and we could monitor the weather in safety while we hunkered down - probably check in on Venture's weather website. The shed can be used for storage in the off season.

We wanted an above ground because we have dogs and are getting older. We could have put one in the garage but it would have had to be really small and even then would have crowded husband's mini workshop. I looked into the under the car ones but he was adamant that he didn't want one of those. He was worried about the car being damaged and leaking nasty fluids while we were trapped inside. Our garage door faces south and that made me a little nervous about such a big opening just waiting for the winds to snatch away the house.

We had some people out to give us estimates on a below ground right outside the back door. One didn't show and one came out and spent almost two hours going over the yard. He seemed very thorough and upfront, and enthusiastically assured us he had lots of people who had shelters we could go look at, installed. He promised to set up a time for us to go see one - and we never heard back from him.

We also had someone who had done a lot of work for us who specializes in concrete buildings. He gave us an estimate for an above ground that attached to the house and had a door to the master bathroom. I would have loved that but didn't want to spend $18,000 even though the room would have been fantastic for a panic room/office/etc. I think the estimate was more than reasonable for what he was suggesting but more than we needed.

I looked at the website and they are quoting $5300. Did the price they quoted include everythign or were there last minute "extras" not included in price? Was there an issue getting the shelter into the back yard?

PennyQuilts
01-11-2014, 04:01 PM
I looked at the website and they are quoting $5300. Did the price they quoted include everythign or were there last minute "extras" not included in price? Was there an issue getting the shelter into the back yard?

We are still waiting on the installation but my understanding is that it is all inclusive except we prepare the ground (either with a slab or with a flat area - our choice). Delivery and installation is included because we are within their delivery range. Unlike an inground shelter, installation should take just a couple of hours - if that. And since they don't have the risk of hitting rock, extra charges shouldn't be an issue. It amounts to driving in, setting it down and pounding in anchors. Ours will be about $100.00 more because we are having them install a conduit/pipe in the wall to run electrical wiring.

We have a five acre lot so delivery shouldn't be a problem. You need to have a ten foot wide gate or gap in the fence for the truck to bring it in. Our gate is 9 foot ten inches but they said they thought that would be okay. We'll see. I am sure it is going to rut up our yard and be hard on the asphalt driveway but for us, getting it into the backyard isn't an issue. I can see where it would be difficult in many neighborhoods.

Servicetech571
01-11-2014, 07:15 PM
Did some shopping today and ended up going with Storm Safe off I35 just south of 59th street:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Storm-Safe-Inground-Tornado-Shelters/169232689788466

$3,150 installed for a 5x7 garage shelter. Not enough room to drive in the backyard for an above ground...
Why are prices on Storm shelters so hush-hush? Few websites list prices and not many talk about it.
Ground Zero wanted $4,000. Hitsteel wanted $3,200 for thier 5x7's

PennyQuilts
01-11-2014, 08:38 PM
Did some shopping today and ended up going with Storm Safe off I35 just south of 59th street:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Storm-Safe-Inground-Tornado-Shelters/169232689788466

$3,150 installed for a 5x7 garage shelter. Not enough room to drive in the backyard for an above ground...
Why are prices on Storm shelters so hush-hush? Few websites list prices and not many talk about it.
Ground Zero wanted $4,000. Hitsteel wanted $3,200 for thier 5x7's
Is this above ground of inground in the garage? When can they install?

Servicetech571
01-12-2014, 06:59 AM
Is this above ground of inground in the garage? When can they install?
In the garage. We're getting ours in March, but they had some earlier appointments.
There were 3 other couples in the showroom when we were looking, they ALL bought a shelter.

Prices are so hard find online, I thought I'd help some other shoppers out:

Ground zero over on S Western wanted $4k for the 5'x7' (aka "extra large"). Hitsteel in the same shopping center (also known under 2 other names, don't remember what they are) was $3200 for the "medium" (still a 5x7). Storm safe $3350 for their "medium" (again a 5x7) but did a price match plus $50 for a total of $3150 installed.

All prices included tax/delivery. The only thing not included was the $53 permit fee which we pay the Oklahoma city directly. Hitsteel and Stormsafe winter sale prices were only good to the end of January. Groundzero said their pricing was limited also, but at $4k I don't see why. Not sure if everybody really is going up next month or if it's just a sales tactic.

Groundzero is the biggest seller, they said they install 40 per DAY, and they are a national company based out of Perry. Shelters look to be factory made of good quality, not sure if they make their own. Oddly they have little social media presence.

Hitsteel is a small company which the CSR in the showroom on Western says is out of Moore. Shelters look to be made in a shop and of good quality. Branding issues scared us off, using 3 different company names seems odd. The name on the storefront is NOT Hitsteel, yet all their literature says Hitsteel. CSR said they do 6 shelters per day. Was unable to find their website/FB page.

Stormsafe Is a large company, quality shelters made in a shop in Valley Brook. Showroom is on west side of I-35 between se59th and se66th st. FB page has 42,000 likes, so I figure they sell a shelter or two. Company active on FB, they post to their page regularly.

TV ads, couldn't tell you. We rarely watch Live TV and skip the commercials. We don't even have cable/sat/uverse. We record off of our old school antenna or watch TV online.

PennyQuilts
02-20-2014, 11:43 AM
Allegedly, they're pouring our shelter, this week. We've got a guy lined up to come smooth out the ground and, hopefully, they'll deliver next week or the week after.

BBatesokc
02-26-2014, 04:21 AM
After going back and forth on garage vs. outdoor, we flip flopped back to outdoors. We got a April 20-something install date from Ground Zero.

We went with outside finally because the wife heard too many stories of people stuck inside their garage shelter for hours or even a day or more after their house fell on it. We also had someone look at our garage area and they admitted that if our french drains by the garage got clogged with debris then water would go into the garage and could possible find its way into the shelter or cover it completely.

We also have neighbors that don't have a shelter (yet) and if we are not home we want them to have access to it.

Gave up hoping for a federal grant when I saw the update on how slow some people were to getting repaid.

Only thing I don't like is the Edmond rule that the shelter has to be behind my most forward front wall. Meaning I can't put it in my front yard area at all - even though my front yard is two-acres. I preferred to put it hidden behind a massive rock mound just off the garage on the uphill side.

PennyQuilts
02-26-2014, 06:59 AM
I don't blame you on being irked by the placement rule. Seems like they could come up with some sort of rule adjusted to acreages. Shelters are safety issues, after all, and many backyards can't be accessed for installation very easily. Maybe homeowner rules would be a more sensible way to deal with the asthetics of storm shelter placement.

We're supposed to have ours delivered/installed next Tuesday. We'll see if the weather cooperates. I'm not pleased that it will be right after a snow/ice event because it will soften up the ground and likely leave huge ruts. The above ground one we're getting weighs many tons and the delivery truck will have to cross our football field like backyard to get to where it will be placed.

ctchandler
02-26-2014, 10:40 AM
BBatesokc,
How is your property zoned? Mine is 2-A Agricultural and that restriction wouldn't apply to my five acres. However, I'm in OKC, not Edmond but you might double check.
C. T.
Only thing I don't like is the Edmond rule that the shelter has to be behind my most forward front wall. Meaning I can't put it in my front yard area at all - even though my front yard is two-acres. I preferred to put it hidden behind a massive rock mound just off the garage on the uphill side.

BBatesokc
02-26-2014, 11:42 AM
BBatesokc,
How is your property zoned? Mine is 2-A Agricultural and that restriction wouldn't apply to my five acres. However, I'm in OKC, not Edmond but you might double check.
C. T.

I was told it didn't matter how my land is zoned - if its within the city of Edmond then it applies.

ctchandler
02-26-2014, 01:02 PM
BBatesokc,
That's what I was wondering, and why I said I was in OKC, I'm sure there are a lot of differences between OKC and Edmond.
C. T.
I was told it didn't matter how my land is zoned - if its within the city of Edmond then it applies.

BBatesokc
03-01-2014, 04:09 PM
Anybody know of anyone who has bought one of these Oklahoma storm shelters?

New Day Tornado Shelters - Tulsa OK | Safe Rooms | Storm Shelters in Tulsa, Oklahoma City OK (http://www.newdaytornadoshelters.com)

PennyQuilts
03-01-2014, 05:55 PM
No, but that looks pretty cool for the right person.

The advent of safe above ground shelters was a game changer.

PennyQuilts
03-04-2014, 03:14 PM
Installed, today.

BBatesokc
03-04-2014, 04:51 PM
Installed, today.

I love the idea, but above ground still scares the crap out of me. I have a neighbor who went above ground and put a faux log cabin theme on the outside. Looks great.

I keep seeing that news broadcast where they said "three of the homes in this frame had above ground shelters, as you see, none are still standing."

PennyQuilts
03-04-2014, 05:03 PM
I love the idea, but above ground still scares the crap out of me. I have a neighbor who went above ground and put a faux log cabin theme on the outside. Looks great.

I keep seeing that news broadcast where they said "three of the homes in this frame had above ground shelters, as you see, none are still standing."
The nws tells us above ground shelters got dinged up when the homes blew away on May 20 but the owners walked away without a scratch. One of these was used on May 20 and the owners lost everything but what they had inside. I'd like to see that broadcast, though. I did a lot of research before we bought. Too late to change our minds, now, but I'd still like to have seen it.

Servicetech
03-11-2014, 07:10 PM
Got ours installed today:
https://plus.google.com/photos/112438866102299698504/albums/5989702602564123393

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/2RvUbVfXf7pMUI7VRkP2-vMDJ5QcT9XRx_GFr3zdRO4=w1596-h898-no

Servicetech571
03-11-2014, 07:18 PM
https://plus.google.com/photos/112438866102299698504/albums/5989702602564123393

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/2RvUbVfXf7pMUI7VRkP2-vMDJ5QcT9XRx_GFr3zdRO4=w1596-h898-no

Plutonic Panda
05-27-2014, 08:31 PM
Mustang Times, City approved for grant to reimburse those who purchase storm shelters (http://www.mustangpaper.com/contentitem/372800/1586/city-approved-for-grant-to-reimburse-those-who-purchase-storm-shelters)

Wishbone
06-02-2014, 11:12 AM
We got our shelter installed Friday. We went with an above ground safe room from Ground Zero. Put is in the back of the garage and I can still get all 3 cars in. It's rated to survive an F20 tornado if the scale went up that high.

Here is Ground Zero's that survived Moore's F5 last year...

http://groundzeroshelters.com/safe2.jpg

http://groundzeroshelters.com/safe1.jpg

s00nr1
06-02-2014, 11:58 AM
We decided to go with an in-ground (garage) unit from GFS. Installation set for July 7.

Bunty
06-02-2014, 12:11 PM
On the lower picture I don't see a door. Did the tornado blow it off? I would no longer feel safe in there, if the door blew away during a tornado.

ylouder
06-02-2014, 12:54 PM
I have the same shelter installed about a month ago. Very happy with it.

We also had an above ground one at our old house, I don't do the small I'm ground ones. Way to many variables with being trapped in there, having it flood, and rusting out over time.

ylouder
06-02-2014, 12:55 PM
Bunty. The door swings inward that's why you don't see it. That way if stuff Is piled infront of it you can still get out.

btlsooner
11-01-2014, 01:16 PM
wow, how crazy! makes me feel a lot better that my wife and I got a shelter put in awhile back. It's great piece of mind. If any of you guys are looking around for one, we got ours from F5 Storm Shelters (http://www.f5stormsheltersok.com) They did a really great job.

Plutonic Panda
11-06-2014, 12:43 PM
OKC Grant May Allow Some Residents To Get A Free Storm Shelter - News9.com - Oklahoma City, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports | (http://www.news9.com/story/27292478/okc-grant-may-allow-some-residents-to-get-a-free-storm-shelter)

Filthy
11-07-2014, 01:35 PM
I noticed that a few of these start up companies, that tried to jump in and take advantage of the 2013 tornado shelter craze, have gone out of business. Seemed like the mass hysteria died down a bit, when we had an almost "tornado free" spring this year.

PennyQuilts
11-07-2014, 02:01 PM
Categorizing people responding to what is actually happening in their communities as engaging in hysteria strikes me as an unwarranted and mean spirited slap. The lack of standard basements and tornado shelters here in tornado alley has struck most of the country as insane for quite some time.

But beyond that, of course a bunch of companies jumped in when they saw an opportunity. And of course demand died down after not only a slow year but because so many people who had been putting it off went ahead and made the jump when supply and demand drove down the cost and made it more cost effective. Good for them. News flash - storm shelters aren 't the type of thing you buy every year which is why companies typically strike when the iron is hot. Plenty of storm shelter companies are still doing well, especially if they are a branch of a septic tank business or have ties to new construction.

In my established neighborhood we've had two new houses built since 2010. Both put in storm shelters - one in 2010 and the other this past year after he lost not one, but two houses in the big tornados that tore through Moore in 1999 and the last big one. I personally wouldn't call the man hysterical after having that experience. Five people had underground shelters installed in existing homes prior to the "hysteria." Two other people, myself included, installed above ground shelters and had simply been waiting for a good option that would work since we both have big dogs. Two others put in below ground shelters in 2013 - one when his mother-in-law died and they sold her house with the storm shelter they'd previously used. The other got one just because he got shook up. It got pretty scary around here when the El Reno storm was swinging close. At this point, only six people don't have shelters but I know two of them have been talking about getting one for several years and just haven't gotten around to it. Three other people have basements.

Not sure I want to be in the same neighborhood as the guy who has had two houses blown away - he might be a tornado magnet. ;)

Filthy
11-07-2014, 03:07 PM
Categorizing people responding to what is actually happening in their communities as engaging in hysteria strikes me as an unwarranted and mean spirited slap. The lack of standard basements and tornado shelters here in tornado alley has struck most of the country as insane for quite some time.

But beyond that, of course a bunch of companies jumped in when they saw an opportunity. And of course demand died down after not only a slow year but because so many people who had been putting it off went ahead and made the jump when supply and demand drove down the cost and made it more cost effective. Good for them. News flash - storm shelters aren 't the type of thing you buy every year which is why companies typically strike when the iron is hot. Plenty of storm shelter companies are still doing well, especially if they are a branch of a septic tank business or have ties to new construction.

In my established neighborhood we've had two new houses built since 2010. Both put in storm shelters - one in 2010 and the other this past year after he lost not one, but two houses in the big tornados that tore through Moore in 1999 and the last big one. I personally wouldn't call the man hysterical after having that experience. Five people had underground shelters installed in existing homes prior to the "hysteria." Two other people, myself included, installed above ground shelters and had simply been waiting for a good option that would work since we both have big dogs. Two others put in below ground shelters in 2013 - one when his mother-in-law died and they sold her house with the storm shelter they'd previously used. The other got one just because he got shook up. It got pretty scary around here when the El Reno storm was swinging close. At this point, only six people don't have shelters but I know two of them have been talking about getting one for several years and just haven't gotten around to it. Three other people have basements.

Not sure I want to be in the same neighborhood as the guy who has had two houses blown away - he might be a tornado magnet. ;)

I think you may have read too far into me using the term "hysteria" as I am also one who has purchased an inground shelter in the last 12 months. I wasn't emphasing the people who purchased the shelters, as much as I was trying to reference the many "fly by night" companies, that popped up over night, that were not necessarily qualified to offer said services. A lot of them, have now gone out of business. There are a lot of shelters out there that have been installed over the past year, that will have significant structural issues in the coming years, and the homeowners will have no one turn to for help, because these contractors are back in Tejas, or Montana, or wherever they were from.

You didn't even really need to insured or bonded to start a storm shelter business. All you needed was a business license, or federal ID#, and you could go to Cushing, OK...and buy premaid shelters from the distributor. (Hausner's PreCast), and have it stamped with your company name. (Which, is what most of the current companies operating have done.) Next thing you know, anyone with a pickup truck/trailor could be in the storm shelter business.