View Full Version : What's standard to pay for lawn mowing around the metro?

judysue
06-07-2013, 11:07 AM
In southern CA my lawn crew would mow weekly for 80.00 per month. I guess because they can mow year round. My crew in Norman charges 50.00 per week. Is that standard? My yard is almost 1/3 of an acre and slopes in the back. Just wondering. Thanks for any feedback.

SSEiYah
06-07-2013, 11:57 AM
$35-$40 per mow were the quotes I received for my "normal" size yard.

kevinpate
06-07-2013, 12:09 PM
It's been a couple of years, but when I was paying others it was 25-35, and they usually only came in on request. Typically about 2x a month, or less if it was a hot summer and the grass was just not growing (like last summer.) We tend to cut our own now, or if one of the lads are in for a visit at times they will still cut it.

venture
06-07-2013, 12:19 PM
I normally paid $20-35 every couple of weeks and less when the grass went dormant in the heat. I did get a quote last year for $50 from a company listed in the Transcript and it was a bit of sticker shock. Needless to say I just deal with it myself. :) Usually you can find a good deal with a high school or college kid trying to earn money in the summer, but don't see many of those ads anymore. Personally I would rather my money go to them than an organized lawn care company. Just feel like it is actually being earned and I respect someone of that age taking an entrepreneurial initiative.

OKCTalker
06-07-2013, 12:21 PM
Judysue - you paid $20/week in CA and $50/week in OK? Apples & apples here?

judysue
06-07-2013, 12:57 PM
80.00 a month versus 200.00 a month...

judysue
06-07-2013, 12:58 PM
I agree with you. I'd much rather pay a college or high school student.

jerrywall
06-07-2013, 01:14 PM
I have about 1/5 of an acre, and the cheapest I've seen is $25 a week. Lately though, when I get quotes, it tends to be closer to $35 a week. $50 for 1/3 of an acre may not be that much off.

pw405
06-07-2013, 01:20 PM
I agree with you. I'd much rather pay a college or high school student.

I ran a lawn service for a summer after college, there is sort of an unspoken rule when you bid yards, you bid them at a dollar a minute. We would also charge extra for bagging clippings vs. mulching. A hill can add sme time/cost as well. Compared to S. calif, I would venture to guess people charge a bit more here just due to the extreme conditions of heat, wind, rain, etc. not sure how our grass compares to what they grow out there, but Bermuda can be a pain to mow, especuially in the heavy rains we are having now.

I would say that 50 may be a bit high, but without seeing your yard it could be a low price as well. I would continue to have them mow once a week until later in the year when the rain subsides and it dries out, it will quit growing as much and you could probably get away with a mow every 10 days.

Or just do it yourself, I derive a suspicious amount of catharsis from the lawn care rituals, while still focusing to minimize watering and other resources involved in keeping up a great lawn.

Bill Robertson
06-07-2013, 02:18 PM
For my "normal" sized lot I pay $35 per mow for mowing every two weeks. During times like this month they are good about coming every week for an additional $35 per mow.

BBatesokc
06-07-2013, 02:44 PM
I'm on 2.5 acres in Edmond and they want $150/week. So, I promptly bought a ZTR. Even if I have to buy a new one every season, in still better than paying someone else.