Current

no

Address: 1 NW 9th
Phone: (405) 702-9805
Hours: Mon-Thu 10:30 am - 8 pm
Fri-Sat 11 am - 10 pm
Links:
Official Website
Facebook Page (https://www.facebook.com/HillbillyPoBoysOysters?fref=ts)
Yelp (http://www.yelp.com/biz/hillbilly-poboys-and-oysters-oklahoma-city)
Urban Spoon (http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/46/1755853/restaurant/Midtown/Hillbilly-Po-boys-and-Oysters-Oklahoma-City)

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/hillbillywiki1.jpg

Information & Latest News
Gallery

BoulderSooner
06-05-2013, 09:19 AM
i might try to stop by ... only a month "late" that is not bad for a new place

Pete
06-05-2013, 09:27 AM
On their Twitter feed they posted this photo of their "Moonshine Bar":

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BKRIbBMCYAMTKSr.jpg:large

Pete
06-05-2013, 09:30 AM
These are from Yelp:

http://s3-media4.ak.yelpcdn.com/bphoto/oMgp1f91dFH0YmEbpTsbfA/l.jpg

http://s3-media2.ak.yelpcdn.com/bphoto/SYLEI2ob5zZSNnLI2dXFjA/l.jpg

http://s3-media1.ak.yelpcdn.com/bphoto/FpXsGEfL8IX1XZkim6sXJQ/l.jpg

bchris02
06-05-2013, 02:52 PM
Where is this place at?

CaptDave
06-05-2013, 02:54 PM
9th Street - Right beside the BNSF tracks.

RadicalModerate
06-05-2013, 03:08 PM
Where is this place at?
Perfect question. Perfectly phrased. Within the context of "Hillbillies".
I salute you sir! =)

the last "Hillbillies" i done heered of wuz up thar round Arcadia . . .

(none of the Legal Moonshine pictured for the ambance/effect is actually approved for human consumption. of course . . . any of it could make raw oysters more palatable. yet may contain peanuts and or other allergens. and cause auditory hallucinations including muffled train horns.)

just kidding: I hope they live long and prosper. really.
the xeriscaping alone draws me to the concept. even including oysters.

warreng88
06-05-2013, 03:51 PM
Where is this place at?

It's the old Pachinko Parlor on 9th Street east of Broadway.

Roger S
06-05-2013, 03:57 PM
I was going to give it a try today but the last time I tried a new restaurant I was accused of slander and being someone who I am not..... I'll give them a couple of days. ;)

SSEiYah
06-05-2013, 04:19 PM
Do they have a website/menu?

RadicalModerate
06-05-2013, 05:47 PM
I was going to give it a try today but the last time I tried a new restaurant I was accused of slander and being someone who I am not..... I'll give them a couple of days. ;)

I heard it straight from a person directly involved in the opening of a different New! concept restaurant that I should give it a month. I will believe him. He is a true chef (or at least a person who has devoted his life to the hospitality industry specifically in the area of actually preparing the food)and has no reason to lie. =) on the other hand he did mention how yummy raw sea urchin is and was thinking that the road to success could be paved with a product resembling "duck confit in a can" . . . =)

Again: I wish only the best for these culinary entrepeneurs.

Pete
06-05-2013, 07:43 PM
Menus courtesy BoulderSooner:

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/hillbillies1.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/hillbillies2.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/hillbillies3.jpg

CCOKC
06-05-2013, 08:57 PM
Well, I guess they put a few items for us veggies on the menu. I had lunch at Iguana yesterday and had no idea this place was so close to opening.

BDK
06-05-2013, 09:15 PM
So the oyster bar doesn't really serve oysters or is that just not the full menu?

ljbab728
06-05-2013, 09:27 PM
So the oyster bar doesn't really serve oysters or is that just not the full menu?

They may not be prepared the way you like, but oysters are on that menu.

BDK
06-05-2013, 09:42 PM
They may not be prepared the way you like, but oysters are on that menu.

I like fried oysters, I just thought they'd have more oyster offerings since oysters are in the name of the place.

Mel
06-05-2013, 09:53 PM
Might not be that many hillbillies there either.

Plutonic Panda
06-06-2013, 12:27 AM
They add alligator(or gator) to the menu, I'm all in. I seriousy considered having my name "OK Alligator Eater Anonymous", i luv meh some fried gata

RadicalModerate
06-06-2013, 06:52 AM
They add alligator(or gator) to the menu, I'm all in. I seriousy considered having my name "OK Alligator Eater Anonymous", i luv meh some fried gata

If they did that, they'd have to change the name to Cajun's Po Boy and Oyster Bar.
Oh. Wait . . . Aren't Po Boys sort of a cajun thing anyways?

BoulderSooner
06-06-2013, 07:06 AM

they plan to add a full oyster bar as well .. just not ready yet ...

RadicalModerate
06-06-2013, 07:14 AM
shucks.

Say! Would "Shuck's" be a good name for an oyster bar?
And how old would they have to be before you could serve them a Moonshine Cocktail?
what sort of ID would be required . . .

RadicalModerate
06-06-2013, 09:46 AM

A salute to the menu, Regarding Po' Boy Option Number 7

"Why you dlag my name into this? I no 'hirrbirry' . . .
I rive on Pondelosa. Near Vilginia City, Nevada.
By Lake Tahoe not by some 'ce-ment pond'.
Entilely diffelent show . . .
Is this some sort of Confusion Cuisine?"
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-fPZkc67U0xc/Tc-CJ0Yr2NI/AAAAAAAAIkQ/lkHG_03dYzI/s400/bon1.gif
"This nealy offensive as term 'Koonass' on dlink risting.
Oh. Wait. You say 'Hopsing.'
My name 'Hop Sing' . . .
That very diffelent. Nevel mind."

(Yet, to me, simply one more reason--in addition to the pioneering xeriscaping, next to a railroad track--to put the place at the top of my To Visit List! Well . . . in the Top Three.)

kevinpate
06-06-2013, 11:54 AM

y'all be meanin' like dem gator back, gator back, gator back ... Hill billyyyy's ... gator back ribs (noted under dat yummy snack section of dey menu?)

adaniel
06-06-2013, 12:04 PM
Might not be that many hillbillies there either.

Well, you have to consider that "hillbilly" is a term closely associated Appalachia and yet they are serving food more closely aligned with Louisiana/Gulf Coast. But we'll just let that oversight slide.

Of course, my family is from Southern Louisiana so I am just a stickler for these things. Definitely going to have to try this place out.

RadicalModerate
06-06-2013, 12:32 PM
I had a substitute teacher--back in about the fourth grade, before Kennedy was shot--who got REALLY overworked up about the term, "Hillbilly". I think she was from West Virginia or Kentucky. She said a better, less offensive, term would be :"Mountain William". I think she was only half-joking. Probably she was a modern "democrat" ahead of our time. =)

Of course, all of us in the class barked affirmation in unison so she threw each of us a bag of peanuts.
(why would someone from Georgia be offended by the word Hillbilly?)

Sorry . . . subliminal Jim Gaffigan obscure plagiarism.

In case it isn't clear: I LOVE the entire concept of this place.
The only way it could be better is if they offered a Moonshine Cocktail involving TaB and the patron could go through the entire Jack Nicholson monologue from "Five Easy Pieces" regarding how to get wheat toast (TaB) without the Moonshine (chicken salad).

Sorry . . . Just prepping myself to call CoxComm and go through a similar routine regarding Newbie=$99 Me=$170. =)

I think I'll start with a friendly . . . "Perhaps you can give me some insight into why . . . (etc.)"

Did I forget to say that I love Lousiana Cookin'? Probably I did. =)
Wouldn't a "real" "Hopsing Po' Boy" include some rabbit? Or is that just in authentic Brunswick Stew? Well . . . not "authentic" . . . authentc involved squirrel" (c/o Hank Kimball/Green Acres)

Don't even start on how Justin Wilson used to pronounce the word, "Vinegar" . . .

Celebrator
06-06-2013, 10:28 PM
I had a substitute teacher--back in about the fourth grade, before Kennedy was shot--who got REALLY overworked up about the term, "Hillbilly". I think she was from West Virginia or Kentucky. She said a better, less offensive, term would be :"Mountain William". I think she was only half-joking. Probably she was a modern "democrat" ahead of our time. =)

Of course, all of us in the class barked affirmation in unison so she threw each of us a bag of peanuts.
(why would someone from Georgia be offended by the word Hillbilly?)

Sorry . . . subliminal Jim Gaffigan obscure plagiarism.

In case it isn't clear: I LOVE the entire concept of this place.
The only way it could be better is if they offered a Moonshine Cocktail involving TaB and the patron could go through the entire Jack Nicholson monologue from "Five Easy Pieces" regarding how to get wheat toast (TaB) without the Moonshine (chicken salad).

Sorry . . . Just prepping myself to call CoxComm and go through a similar routine regarding Newbie=$99 Me=$170. =)

I think I'll start with a friendly . . . "Perhaps you can give me some insight into why . . . (etc.)"

Did I forget to say that I love Lousiana Cookin'? Probably I did. =)
Wouldn't a "real" "Hopsing Po' Boy" include some rabbit? Or is that just in authentic Brunswick Stew? Well . . . not "authentic" . . . authentc involved squirrel" (c/o Hank Kimball/Green Acres)

Don't even start on how Justin Wilson used to pronounce the word, "Vinegar" . . .

What?

RadicalModerate
06-07-2013, 06:34 AM
Justin Wilson was a comedian along the lines of Andy Griffith except from Louisana instead of North Carolina. For several years he had a cooking show on PBS. He laid it on real thick with the Cajun accent. Some people apparently got upset or offended with the way he pronounced the word "Vinegar" so he had to change the way he said it. But don't get me started on it. =)

OKCTalker
06-07-2013, 07:41 AM

Go with Brian and post a joint restaurant review here. That will get all of us included in the lawsuit!

foodiefan
06-07-2013, 08:14 AM
shucks.

Say! Would "Shuck's" be a good name for an oyster bar?
And how old would they have to be before you could serve them a Moonshine Cocktail?
what sort of ID would be required . . .

Used to be (maybe its still there) a place in Dayton called the Shuckin' Shack. . .at the "Oyster Bar", they would bring a bucket in the shell and shuck them while you art!! Next to divine!!

BBatesokc
06-08-2013, 07:18 AM
Gave this new place a try yesterday (Friday) afternoon with a few friends.

Straight up noon and the place was full, but no waiting - two tables opened up as we walked up.

The remodel/decor is nothing special - they probably changed some things, but not enough for me to really notice. If not for the low budget sign out front I wouldn't have known it wasn't Pachinko Parlor.

There was nowhere to sit available inside so we sat on the patio.

I've always like the building and setup (if you don't have sensitive ears and avoid a train blowing by) and it still has the same comfortable feel.

Half of my party was lucky enough to get shade while the rest baked in the sun. I'm an outdoors person, but my back literally got very hot by the time we left.

We were seated at a very dirty table. A man who appears to be a manager or owner quickly ran up and apologized and said the table should have been cleaned first. He explained they'd only been open a few days and they were still training the staff.

The manager went on to explain that they have yet to receive their oysters so those menu items are not available and that the gator ribs wouldn't be ready for at least an hour and a half (just in time for the deadest part of a restaurant's day).

We ordered a few sides to share; pickles & onions and some fried taters.

Most of us had the crawfish po' boy with the yellow sauce and one had the meatball sandwich.

We only drank tea (served in handled mason jars). One in the party wanted lemonade but was told it was from a mix so he passed. Old fashion'd handmade lemonade would be a good addition to the drink menu.

The crawfish sandwich was really good and had a nice presentation. Bread was flaky and the meat was warm, abundant and fresh looking. The yellow sauce is mustard based. Came with a few pickles and onions on the plate.

We all agreed the crawfish sandwich was very, very good.

The meatball sandwich didn't have as good of a presentation but had a good flavor and the meatballs are stuffed with mozzarella cheese and had just a bit of char on the outside of the meat. Friend said it wasn't 'amazing' but was still pretty good.

The sides were large portions and plenty to share with 2-4 people.

The pickles and onions were my favorite - nicely seasoned and fresh.

The taters were good - had a bit of a lingering burn and they are flimsy (not crisp like a potato chip) but everyone seemed to like them.

We also had the homemade hillbilly bread pudding for dessert.

We all agreed it was very good. A bit different than others we've had, but we liked it. My favorite however is still Bedlam BBQ's.

Nice addition to 9th street. I was told it was a creation by the same people with S&B's Burger Joint."

I would definitely recommend the place. Depending on the overhead to run the restaurant though, not sure how well they will do beyond lunch, but with ongoing 'events' on the street and the addition of more dinner style items (like more oyster items) I think they could do very well. We will definitely be going back.

http://img818.imageshack.us/img818/1448/poboycrawfish.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/818/poboycrawfish.jpg/)

Above is a pic of my crawfish sandwich. Looks small in the photo, but it was good size for lunch.

BBatesokc
06-08-2013, 05:51 PM
Okay, so I decided to take my parents and wife today for an early dinner, around 4:30 p.m. and try some of the offerings that were not available yesterday.

Had the gator ribs, fried oysters, oyster po' boy, crawfish po' boy, and the fish cake po' boy over rice.

The ribs were really good (if you like gator). Pretty small portion though for the price, so don't go thinking that's going to fill you up. But still very good.

The fried oyster were really good and even better as a po' boy. Crawfish po' boy was as good as the day before and the fish cakes were excellent.

Its a winner folks.

Mel
06-08-2013, 06:04 PM
That sandwich pic said plenty. Gotta try that out.

RadicalModerate
06-08-2013, 08:38 PM
The remoulade alone has me droolin' . . .
hopefully those are just crawfish tails (the wonderful filets of these critters) in there?

Larry OKC
06-10-2013, 02:51 PM
Wonder if they have the copyright clearances for the references to the Beverly Hillbillies...what with sandwich names of the main characters...Jethro, Jed, Granny, Ellle Mae (spelled Elly May according to Wiki)

Then there are the Gunsmoke (Mrs. Kitty instead of Miss Kitty) and Bonanza (Hopsing instead of Hop SIng) ones too….

But then again maybe OKC isn't on the corporate lawyer radar yet...as there is a bar called Cheers on the southside with a similar stled sign/logo...

I have had gator before and liked it,...may give the gator ribs a try

Rover
06-10-2013, 03:36 PM
I doubt the names, Jethro, Jet, et al were actually copyrighted/registered trademarks. The names were in existence WAY before the show. Now, if they used the name "Beverly Hillbillies", THAT may be copyrighted/registered and protected.

Mel
06-10-2013, 03:47 PM
Might be trouble if they put a cement pond out back.

RadicalModerate
06-10-2013, 04:34 PM
Wonder if they have the copyright clearances for the references to the Beverly Hillbillies...what with sandwich names of the main characters...Jethro, Jed, Granny, Ellle Mae (spelled Elly May according to Wiki)

Then there are the Gunsmoke (Mrs. Kitty instead of Miss Kitty) and Bonanza (Hopsing instead of Hop SIng) ones too….

But then again maybe OKC isn't on the corporate lawyer radar yet...as there is a bar called Cheers on the southside with a similar stled sign/logo...

I have had gator before and liked it,...may give the gator ribs a try

Yeah . . . and what about "Moe's"?
(Moe Howard was one of the Three Stooges. He was the mean one with the Beatle haircut)

I had a Gator Burger at the Red Rock Cafe in Stroud. It was good. Not sure what part of the gator it came from.

Frankly, I'm looking forward to trying this place out . . .
Or should that be "Boudinly"?

If they had a nice, expensive, steak on the menu maybe The Drysdale?
Or something extra vegan The Hathaway?
(More obscure references to The Beverly Hillbillies. A TV Show. From the '60s)

Larry OKC
06-11-2013, 02:28 PM
I doubt the names, Jethro, Jet, et al were actually copyrighted/registered trademarks. The names were in existence WAY before the show. Now, if they used the name "Beverly Hillbillies", THAT may be copyrighted/registered and protected.

True, but when you but the pieces together...it is obvious they were, shall we say, "inspired" by the show...to what extent, and if they crossed any legal boundaries that is for the lawyers to decide

RadicalModerate
06-11-2013, 02:36 PM
True, but when you but the pieces together...it is obvious they were, shall we say, "inspired" by the show...to what extent, and if they crossed any legal boundaries that is for the lawyers to decide

Hopefully, the latest Lawyers, from down 'round whar 'gators be a prowling in search of a respite to the daily grind . . . Like, maybe, from down around Hooter- or Trayvon- ville? Like . . . to survey tornado damage and look for lawsuits? . . . as a respite from . . . Starbucks . . . ? =)

Teo9969
06-11-2013, 11:50 PM
Nice addition to 9th street. I was told it was a creation by the same people with S&B's Burger Joint."

Yes

soonerguru
06-18-2013, 03:14 PM
That food looks delish.

soonerguru
06-21-2013, 10:09 PM
Tried it. Very good food with a great atmosphere (cheeky redneck "art").

BBatesokc
06-28-2013, 05:06 PM
Went again today at noon with a group of 8.

Place was full inside and out (great sign).

We were seated within about 15 minutes (no problem).

Food was really good - as usual (good service too for the most part).

Only gripes this time were....

1.) First time to sit in the individual home made seats inside...... WAY too low to the ground. Felt like I was going to parent/teacher night at an elementary school. They need to add a board under each seat bottom.

2.) Ordered 2 bowls of fried taters and they didn't arrive until we had almost all finished our meal (they were taken off our tab).

3.) The portions on the pickles and onions appetizer is all over the map. We've ordered them 4 times and each time the size was different. Today was the smallest portion yet - barely enough for one person. Other times its been huge bowl. It would be nice to know what to expect (more is better).

Other than that the entrees were awesome.

kelly73099
06-29-2013, 05:26 PM
Really good food... just two small gripes. 1) I'd love to see the drink menu revamped. Not everyone likes super-sweet cocktails. I'll stick to beer here. 2) The service was too efficient! Plates were taken away literally while we were still taking the last bites. This happened with the app and sandwich. Had to leave the rib bones on the table.

Bread pudding was great!

CCOKC
06-30-2013, 08:39 PM
I went yesterday for dinner and I really did not want to like the place because one of my least favorite words is Hillbilly. Since I am a vegetarian I looked at the menu before I went and saw that they had a veggie option. You can get any po'boy as a sandwich, over rice or over mixed greens. I had the veggies over rice and it was really good. The veggies were seasoned very well and it came with a bit of hummus. I also shared the chips with my husband and those were also very good. I also got a side of slaw which I found to be quite good. It is a vinegar slaw that I thought had just the right amount of dressing so as not to be overpowering. I enjoyed my super sweet cocktail very well since it was hot yesterday and we were sitting on the patio. I found it to be quite refreshing. My husband enjoyed his beef po'boy (whatever) but said he would probably get it over rice next time as it was quite hard to eat as a sandwich.

Jeepnokc
08-07-2013, 06:01 PM
Stopped in for lunch today with my 10 year old son. Very short wait and clean. Staff was friendly. No kid menu and only one off-menu kid option which was pizza. Turned out to be spaghetti sauce on a baguette with cheese on it. The menu really isn't kid friendly so would think twice about taking a kid (and my kid is not that picky). Although po boys, this is not a Cajun restaurant. I had the chuck wagon beef which is basically a roast beef sandwich with peppers, onions and debris gravy. The beef didn't really have any flavor and not sure their was gravy. The bread was soggy but if there was gravy, it is a clear type gravy not a debris gravy. ( All the debris gravy I have had has been more of a thicker brown gravy with chunks of the debris in it)

The taters are basically home made potato chips and were excellent. They sprinkle them with a slightly spicy seasoning and was very good.

Service was up to par and the prices are decent. I am going to go back and try some of the other things on the menu to see if maybe I just hit the worst item on their menu. Would love to see a gumbo added and maybe a red beans and rice vegetarian option.

Bullbear
12-28-2016, 02:30 PM
Staff was told this morning they are closing as of this Friday

shawnw
12-28-2016, 02:39 PM
yikes

Ross MacLochness
12-28-2016, 02:39 PM
bummer... hope something takes its place!

OkiePoke
12-28-2016, 02:57 PM
First time I went in there was a couple of weeks ago. Nice little place, I thought downstairs was really neat. We were the only people in there, though.

AP
12-28-2016, 03:11 PM
Damn. I really loved this place.

shadfar
12-29-2016, 10:58 AM
being right near the train tracks this place had a long run. What was the name of the place before it called? Pachinko Parlor? That quiet zone can't come soon enough.

baralheia
12-29-2016, 11:19 AM
If the railroad noise is really what did them in, then it's unfortunate timing for their closure; the railroad quiet zone is supposed to begin in January (link (http://www.okctalk.com/showthread.php?t=24475&p=973031#post973031)).

shadfar
12-29-2016, 11:31 AM
If the railroad noise is really what did them in, then it's unfortunate timing for their closure; the railroad quiet zone is supposed to begin in January (link (http://www.okctalk.com/showthread.php?t=24475&p=973031#post973031)).

January?!? It's about time! Thank you for the info.

bradh
12-29-2016, 11:36 AM
I'm not going to blame the tracks on this one, or Pachinko Parlor. Pachinko was terrible, and Hillbilly was okay but never worked into my regular rotation.

HangryHippo
12-29-2016, 11:40 AM
I'm not going to blame the tracks on this one, or Pachinko Parlor. Pachinko was terrible, and Hillbilly was okay but never worked into my regular rotation.

I thought Pachinko Parlor served terrible food. Just awful. And something about Hillbilly's just never felt right to me. I went two or three times but it never made it into my rotation either.

Pete
12-29-2016, 12:28 PM
I've been waiting for this news as it seemed inevitable. I was in 2-3 times and it was always empty.

Love the space though and look forward to something else going in.

shadfar
12-29-2016, 12:43 PM

I agree. I love the location even with it being so near the tracks. Pachinko was bad! Hillbilly was eh for me..just wasn't good enough to keep in my regular rotation

Bullbear
12-29-2016, 12:50 PM
It is a great space. I went last night as I had a couple of gift certificates to burn there. I don't think the Train had anything to do with it and BTW two trains went through while I was eating last night and NO HORNS were blown!

I think their menu was a bit off putting to be honest. it was complicated in that there is a list of items and you can have them as a Po-Boy or over rice or as a salad.. just kind of odd set up. just have a list of entrees and some sandwiches and make it easy on everyone.

Mike_M
12-30-2016, 01:15 PM
I only had one meal here, and it was a pretty bland experience from top to bottom, never even crossed my mind to go back and try it. Probably has something to do with the location, but execution is probably the biggest contributor.