View Full Version : Where may one find the diet cola Tab locally?

Joe Kimball
05-31-2013, 10:14 AM
It used to be that you would find a six-pack amidst the 8 oz glass bottles at Skagg's/Jewel/Albertson's/[I think]Williams and Homeland. Not that I've seen, in a while. Does anyone know where I can find this, either bottled or from a fountain?

ctchandler
05-31-2013, 02:43 PM
Sorry to disappoint you but I emailed Coca Cola and they responded with a phone number (local) to call. I called them and it is not available in the OKC metro area. By the way, did you know that the name "Tab" is an acronym for totally artificial beverage?
C. T.

zookeeper
05-31-2013, 02:59 PM
Might try this tab diet cola soft drink office home delivery (http://www.drsoda.com/tab.html)

kevinpate
05-31-2013, 04:05 PM
Not sure where one can acquire it. I remember tab from younger days. If I heated it, added some lemon and a splash or three of spirits to it, it was only mildly unbearable.

To each their own though, so I'll wish you success in your quest.

Mel
05-31-2013, 04:20 PM
Slightly ot but I remember when that stuff was around people would put a bunch of salted peanuts in it and drink it.

BBatesokc
05-31-2013, 04:29 PM
...By the way, did you know that the name "Tab" is an acronym for totally artificial beverage?
C. T.

Couldn't tell if you were joking or not - but that's inaccurate.

kevinpate
05-31-2013, 04:31 PM
Ain't nuttin' wrong with slippin' peanuts in one's Coke. Barbara even made a fair bit of change singing about that lil' pasttime.

RadicalModerate
05-31-2013, 04:34 PM
Are we talkin' REAL Tab? Or "new" Tab?

The original (REAL) Tab (c. '65 as i recall) was an FDA experiment on The American People to determine how to recycle and extract a little profit from hazardous wastes generated by the Saccharine Factories before we gave up and started shipping them to (then) Third World countries.

People who put salted peanuts in Tab were simply trying to put themselves out of their misery as quickly as possible.

One of the neighborhood moms put a tooth and a nail in a container of Coca Cola and the same items in a container of Tab.
The tooth and nail in the Coke dissolved. The tooth and the nail in the Tab bonded with container and mysteriously disappeared.
Rumor on the street has it that whatever it became is doing a lot of research for Alex Jones.

RadicalModerate
05-31-2013, 04:49 PM
Ain't nuttin' wrong with slippin' peanuts in one's Coke. Barbara even made a fair bit of change singing about that lil' pasttime.

If one in the entertainment business back then were actually to do what Barbara M suggested wouldn't that pose a significant risk of nasal discomfort? Leading to sounding a lot like Willie Nelson?

Martin
05-31-2013, 04:55 PM
http://pluckyoutoo.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/1218681706_2.jpg
this guy would like a tab, please... -M

Roger S
05-31-2013, 04:57 PM
You might try checking out at Pop's on Route 66 in Arcadia.

kevinpate
05-31-2013, 05:18 PM
Thanks for the chuckle RM

RadicalModerate
05-31-2013, 06:20 PM
It's a Tornado (and cancer/not me but soulmate) Coping Strategy. =)
(that should have been half a smiley)

ctchandler
05-31-2013, 06:53 PM
BBatesokc,
I don't make these things up, it was on the Coca Cola web page.
C. T.

ctchandler
05-31-2013, 07:03 PM
BBatesokc,
And now, when I try to find the quote, the Coca Cola site is down for maintenance. I'm old and senile but I'm certain I saw the acronym on the Coca Cola site. If I am wrong, I apologize to the group and thank you for straightening me out.
C. T.

ctchandler
05-31-2013, 07:06 PM
I suppose in the scope of things, right or wrong, I did take the time to contact Coca Cola, they responded with a local distributor's phone number, and when I called them, after a fifteen minute search by the local folks, they said there was no place in the OKC metro area where Tab was available.

Joe Kimball
05-31-2013, 07:32 PM
Thanks for checking that. Myself, I checked Crest for the possibility of ordering some, and a manager on duty said that they, as a local store, could not order it as Dr Pepper is in the same market. Which is confusing, but obviously some type of red tape. He did say to try a national store, of which Homeland barely qualifies, to see about ordering it. I'll ask Walmart on a whim tomorrow, expecting no miracles.

zookeeper
05-31-2013, 08:04 PM
Sometimes it just takes getting out of the Great Plains Bottling Company territory. There are pockets, even around here, that they don't control. Tri-Cities I think maybe being one of the areas.

Joe Kimball
05-31-2013, 08:27 PM
Very good to know, thank you. What's Tri-Cities, again?

RadicalModerate
05-31-2013, 08:29 PM
(sigh) . . .
i have been seized by a sudden longing for a bottle of Double Cola (like from down around Holdenville/Seminole or them parts).
maybe even some authentic Grapette. or Duffy's Root Beer (denver area only).
i will settle for Canada Dry Ginger Ale.
whatever you do NEVER mistake Vernor's for a drinkable, carbonated beverage.
(it's from up around Michigan and has a sinister elf as a logo)

There used to be a Stop-N-Rob on N. Portland that actually had YOGURT Soda in the cooler.
YOGURT SODA . . . (it caused me to look with new askansness at anything else they had to sell.)

YOGURT SODA . . . (eeeeeeeeeshhhhhhgag)

Sorry . . . That was a flashback from '65 vintage Tab.

On the other hand . . . One could probably pureé some Lo-Fat cottage cheez (from Braum's) in a blender, swizzle-in some Club Soda, and enjoy a reasonable facsimile of the Tab version of Yogurt Soda . . .

zookeeper
05-31-2013, 08:58 PM
Very good to know, thank you. What's Tri-Cities, again?

Newcastle, Tuttle, and Blanchard.

zookeeper
05-31-2013, 09:02 PM
BBatesokc,
I don't make these things up, it was on the Coca Cola web page.
C. T.

C.T.

Check out this Snopes page snopes.com: TaB (http://www.snopes.com/business/names/tab.asp)

Joe Kimball
05-31-2013, 09:49 PM
Marketed to people who wanted to keep "tabs" on their weight, Coca-Cola's first sugar- free drink once dominated the diet soda market.

Cult sodas with a history - Tab (3) - FORTUNE (http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2009/fortune/0910/gallery.cult_soda.fortune/3.html)

Just keeping this board of record. For all the effort of verifying its official absence from Oklahoma City, chandler could have colorfully insulted my tastes for all I cared.

By the way, I love Vernor's but I love even hotter ginger ales a bit more. Vernor's is mellowed a bit by something...vanilla?

RadicalModerate
06-01-2013, 05:52 AM
She's a mindsticker . . .
qXu3zTqlY_Q
. . . and her name is TaBitha.
(he's a TaBstalker)

ctchandler
06-01-2013, 08:31 AM
My apologies to the board. I went to the Coca Cola site this morning and "Totally Artificial Beverage" is not there. I must have seen it when I was googling Tab. I'm irritated at myself because I usually don't pass those things around. I won't lose a lot of sleep over it though.
C. T.

Questor
06-01-2013, 09:10 AM
You can buy it online. Amazon has it.

Joe Kimball
06-01-2013, 09:36 AM
ctchandler, please; it's fine. You did the most work here in verifying its official nonpresence. One little mistake doesn't affect that.

I may resort to buying it online, but I'm going to try to exhaust local options first. I had it out of the fountain on the Las Vegas Strip about two years ago, and it was superb. A few of the attendants at the Coke Museum weren't entirely aware of its presence, which I thought amusing, while other more experienced employees were aghast at their ignorance.

I may also try Bricktown Candy, Pops, and the such...understandably, a grocery option is foremost in my mind.

zookeeper
06-01-2013, 02:53 PM
My apologies to the board. I went to the Coca Cola site this morning and "Totally Artificial Beverage" is not there. I must have seen it when I was googling Tab. I'm irritated at myself because I usually don't pass those things around. I won't lose a lot of sleep over it though.
C. T.

C.T., You don't owe any apologies to anybody. If it was needed in your case over something so minor, this whole board would be apologizing once a day. :)
You're good! I love your nostalgia posts too, btw.

Larry OKC
06-05-2013, 01:42 PM
Are they still making "Tab" (the diet cola drink"). i know a few years ago, I saw Tab at Wal-mart. Similar logo, and it was being marketed as an energy drink towards women. But it may have just been an extension of the Tab brand??? it didn't last long. So short that I didn't get a chance to add it to my Coke collection

SoonerQueen
06-05-2013, 10:30 PM
We can't find Mr Pibb locally.I'd love to have diet Mr Pibb.

ctchandler
06-06-2013, 12:30 PM
Larry,
Yes, I called the Coca Cola 800 number and they said it was available but they didn't know if it was here in the OKC area. The lady gave me a number of the local distributor that would know and when I talked with her she said they didn't carry it here.
C. T.

Are they still making "Tab" (the diet cola drink").

Larry OKC
06-06-2013, 01:12 PM
I don't understand why anyone would want Tab as it was one of the nastiest tasting diet colas around. But then again Sweet-n-Low is still around and there are those that wouldn't use anything else.

BBatesokc
06-06-2013, 01:44 PM
We can't find Mr Pibb locally.I'd love to have diet Mr Pibb.

When I drank full strength sodas, Mt Pibb was my favorite. They always had it in the vending machine at the marina by our place at Lake Texhoma.

RadicalModerate
06-06-2013, 02:40 PM
I hear tell that some alleged "hillbilly" over on 9th St, not far from the RR tracks, is having some shipped in to meet the local demand. If someone happened to toss a case off of a passing freight train from Canada or Mexico do you suppose it would get too fizzy to drink? Like, to the point where it would lose its distinctive TaBiness?

(count that as a Like for Larry at Post #32 =)

remember that depressing, semi-pebbly brown bottle that TaB used to come in when it was first marketed?
why do you think there are so many ads for "anti-depressants" clogging out viewing pleasure on TV today?
(etc . . .)

here: have a Groupon for The Waffle House . . . remember: it could be worse. they might have TaB on tap.
(jim gaffigan before jim gaffigan)

RadicalModerate
06-06-2013, 02:58 PM
When I drank full strength sodas, Mt Pibb was my favorite. They always had it in the vending machine at the marina by our place at Lake Texhoma.

I always thought of Mr. Pibb as Dr. Pepper's dark side.
a lot like . . . Dr. Jeckle and Mr. Hyde . . . or Coke and New Coke . . . or Henry vs. Edsel
or Chocolate Soldier vs. Yahoo Chocolate Beverage

(george carlin mebbe. in the past. or not. =)

(hey! don't believe that guy . . . he can't even spell Jaeckel rite....)

Joe Kimball
06-06-2013, 06:59 PM
More for me, Larry.

I hear tell that some alleged "hillbilly" over on 9th St, not far from the RR tracks, is having some shipped in to meet the local demand.

Do you know precisely where?

Larry OKC
06-10-2013, 02:18 PM
Free Won't: no worries here...didn't mean to disparage your tastes :)

RadMod: where do I get that Waffle House Groupon?

Richard at Remax
08-13-2013, 03:18 PM
Sorry for the slight hijack but I just came back from Bora Bora and drank a lot of Hinano Beer from Tahiti as well as Tiger beer from Singapore. Do anyone know if you can buy either locally? I haven't had much luck. Thanks

RadicalModerate
08-13-2013, 10:09 PM
It's usually in the cooler next to where the Tab is stored.