View Full Version : Moore Medical Center Damage

Pages : 1 [2]

Plutonic Panda
10-29-2013, 09:33 PM
They really should turn the lower right Main Entry parking lot right above SW 64th street into a 4 level structured parking garage so the "future expansion/satellite area won't have to require any parking and can be linked with a skybridge.

jerrywall
10-29-2013, 09:46 PM
Looks cool.

Dubya61
10-30-2013, 09:29 AM
BTW, just in case anyone missed my question, I looked on Google and nothing, does anyone know the heigh limit in Moore?

Is there a height limit in Moore (or any municipality)? Doesn't make sense that there would be one except around airports (and very limited, then). Insurance companies would dictate a height limit long before a city would, I would think.

venture
10-30-2013, 09:59 AM
Is there a height limit in Moore (or any municipality)? Doesn't make sense that there would be one except around airports (and very limited, then). Insurance companies would dictate a height limit long before a city would, I would think.

Cities can set height limits to developments, but I've only seen it happen in specific development zones. Town near where I grew up has a very large commercial/business park area and they set a height limit of 4 stories for non-hospitality developments. So Moore could definitely have one overall, but more than likely there just hasn't been a need to go very vertical there.

seaofchange
11-05-2013, 09:24 PM

Height limits are dictated by the zoning district a property is in.
Sometimes it's a set height limit, sometimes it's based on their setbacks from the property line or setbacks from residential (i.e. 1 foot of setback for each 2 feet of height). You can go to municode.com and see the Moore Land Development code to see the various zoning districts and height limits.

SOONER8693
11-06-2013, 07:39 AM
Height limits are dictated by the zoning district a property is in.
Sometimes it's a set height limit, sometimes it's based on their setbacks from the property line or setbacks from residential (i.e. 1 foot of setback for each 2 feet of height). You can go to municode.com and see the Moore Land Development code to see the various zoning districts and height limits.
Now this is by no means factual or official. But, within the last week, a long time Moore resident and person with contacts within the city of Moore offices, told me that he believed the height limit in Moore was 3 stories. This was due to the fact that was as high as their highest ladder firetruck could reach. I don't know. Hearsay, rumor, take it for what it's worth.

seaofchange
11-07-2013, 09:24 PM
Now this is by no means factual or official. But, within the last week, a long time Moore resident and person with contacts within the city of Moore offices, told me that he believed the height limit in Moore was 3 stories. This was due to the fact that was as high as their highest ladder firetruck could reach. I don't know. Hearsay, rumor, take it for what it's worth.

The standard for alot of the commercial/industrial districts in Moore seems to be this:

When abutting any residential zoning or use, no improvement or structure shall exceed thirty-five (35) feet in height above the mean elevation of the lot;
When abutting a non-residential zoning or use, additional height shall be permitted on a ratio of one additional foot of building setback from all property lines for each one and one-half (1½) additional foot of building height, with approval of the Fire Marshal. All current building and municipal codes shall apply;
When located within the I-35 Corridor as designated by the Moore Comprehensive Plan, and when not abutting residential zoning or use, there shall be no limitations on height, with approval of the Fire Marshal; All other applicable city codes shall apply.

PiePie
11-18-2013, 01:26 AM
I am not sure about the look...Does it really need that much glass?

Plutonic Panda
11-18-2013, 08:58 PM
I am not sure about the look...Does it really need that much glass?Yes, so when the next tornado comes, they will be able to see it better.

PiePie
11-19-2013, 02:11 AM
Yes, so when the next tornado comes, they will be able to see it better.

I laughed out loud! Thank you for the laugh! :D

Questor
11-19-2013, 10:57 PM
Interesting. It has the same color scheme and geometry of the Norman HealthPlex. Which I guess is to be expected since they're part of Norman regional now.

MWCGuy
11-20-2013, 12:51 AM
I think it will be a hospital that will work perfect for Moore. They will likely be a level 3 trauma and they really don't need any more inpatient beds in the Oklahoma City Area. As it is most of the larger hospitals in the metro operate with 1-3 units shuttered. People are only kept in the hospital just long enough to where you don't access to live saving equipment or access to a surgery department. Many people are shipped to nursing homes, rehabilitation centers or home care if they need observation or skilled nurse monitoring. I read while back where some doctors are send their patients to hotels instead of hospitals for overnight observation after some surgeries. The doctor will send a nurse to the hotel to do the checks through the night or the hotel has a floor dedicated to surgery care. You get the comforts of a hotel with nursing staff that has immediate access to doctor if necessary.

rxis
11-26-2013, 11:51 PM
My understanding is Moore will have a small number of inpatient beds. The structural integrity of the Moore location can hold up better under severe weather conditions despite the use of a high number of windows. Its surprising to hear that the OKC area doesn't need more low acuity beds. It seems as though there is a lack of beds available.

Plutonic Panda
04-28-2014, 08:48 AM
News | Moore Monthly (http://www.mooremonthly.com/news/city-of-moore-and-norman-regional-join-hands-for-may-20-ceremony)

Plutonic Panda
05-21-2014, 12:32 AM
I believe groundbreaking was held for this today.

bucfan1512
05-21-2014, 08:16 AM
It was actually yesterday at around 11am

Zuplar
05-21-2014, 08:17 PM
Good, they need to get rid of that FEMA camp looking tent they have out there. I honestly can't believe they put that crap out there, it's just a bad reminder IMO. Looks like a 3rd world country we invaded. It's not like Norman Regional is that much further down the road. I would never go there, I'd just keep on driving.

/endrant

bucfan1512
05-22-2014, 07:29 AM
I understand the frustration we just have to remember that its emergencies only. Now with my wife working at a hospital I have been told how people love the stretch a stubbed toe into a ER visit. If you could drive yourself there than I agree you don't really need to be there. But with the amount of people that live just within a mile of that place its needs to be there. A few lives saved is worth the looks from the outside.

jn1780
05-22-2014, 08:16 AM
Good, they need to get rid of that FEMA camp looking tent they have out there. I honestly can't believe they put that crap out there, it's just a bad reminder IMO. Looks like a 3rd world country we invaded. It's not like Norman Regional is that much further down the road. I would never go there, I'd just keep on driving.

/endrant

Soon it will just look like a temporary construction trailer with a new tower being built. I don't really see what the big deal this. They could have decided to leave and left the whole lot vacent. I know it looks better than the 7-11 site.

jn1780
09-08-2014, 09:07 AM
It's been awhile since the "Official" groundbreaking, but I noticed there seems to be a fence around the site.

seaofchange
09-11-2014, 11:19 PM
Glad this is potentially starting construction soon.

kevinpate
09-12-2014, 11:21 AM
About to get going. Will have ER, outpatient, therapy areas, but no inpatient beds according to an article in the Norman Transcript a few days back.

bombermwc
09-15-2014, 07:50 AM
They sure have been dragging their feet on this. Granted they had to start from square one on a whole new design since the purpose of the facility changed, but it's really not that complex of a thing when you're not planning for in-patient. It's really just a free-standing ER with some a bunch of office space for physicians offices. I'm wondering if the Norman Health whatever group started seeing a hit from the medicare cutbacks and had to re-evaluate expenditures on this. With the Healthplex being so close, it almost doesn't make sense to make anything more than a physicians building...even the ER might be a stretch.

MMC was built on bad financial ground from The Schuster Group. It was also built before the Healthplex was around. Bad management from TSG caused the place to go bankrupt (and eventually TSG did as well...the guy just doesn't manage anything well). That is what put Norman in the running to buy the place and they were pretty sure they were going to close it because they had their new fancy Healthplex down the road. So on one hand, the tornado became the saving grace to the site. What would have turned into a shuddered structure (because it wasn't worth renovating to the new purpose given the age of the larger structure on the site), now became an opportunity to start over. One of the countless examples of how a tornado can be devastating but also become an opportunity. MWC along I-40/Sooner/Hudiburg Dr is another example. The church built a new facility, the Reed Center, Home Depot, 5 hotels, restaurants, etc. all came in because what was there was removed, with the land being sold.