View Full Version : Carroll Fisher still won't resign

Patrick
08-31-2004, 09:48 PM
Well, now even our governor, Brad Henry (D), has asked Fisher to resign, and he still refuses. This really makes me mad. I hope they throw the book at him!

mranderson
08-31-2004, 11:03 PM
I have no problem with Fisher not resigning. Impeachment and removal will hurt him more than resignation.

Not only that, no matter the outcome of the impeachment trial and the criminal trial, he is washed up. Funny how people come back to me and let me tell them "I told you so." I knew he was trouble because of the 1998 election.

Keith
09-01-2004, 07:42 AM
He is a stubborn old man. He thinks he still has supporters out there. Think about this, though. Even if he is convicted of a crime, he will probably never spend time in jail. He is an embarrassment to Oklahoma. I would think that if the Governor asked him to step down, maybe he would listen...I guess not.

Patrick
09-01-2004, 12:13 PM
That's pretty sad that even though the governor has asked him to step down, he still refuses. That says something about his already tarnished character. He deserves jail time, but as you say, probably won't get it. I hate how politicians and stars get off.

Patrick
09-01-2004, 12:22 PM
What a loser Fisher is:

"Fisher vows to fight

By Ryan McNeill
The Oklahoman

State Insurance Commissioner Carroll Fisher maintained his innocence Tuesday, moments after he watched the release of a special House panel’s report recommending his impeachment on five grounds.

The eight-page, strongly worded report calls him corrupt and incompetent. It also accuses him of neglect of duty.

It also recommends the post of state Insurance Commissioner become appointed instead of elected.

The House committee approved the report House Speaker Larry Adair released Tuesday. Adair, D-Stillwell, announced the House will return in special session at 9 a.m. Sept. 9 to consider impeachment.

Fisher will face a trial in the state Senate if he’s impeached by the House.

Fisher’s attorney said Tuesday he will ask the state Supreme Court to delay a possible Senate trial until the commissioner’s criminal cases are completed.

“We think it’s not fair, it’s not due process that he has to be put on trial where he can lose his office before they are trying to take away his freedom,” attorney Irven Box said.

Leading state officials called for Fisher, D-Tulsa, to resign Tuesday, including state Attorney General Drew Edmondson, Lt. Gov. Mary Fallin and Gov. Brad Henry, who until now had refused to call on Fisher to resign.

“I believe it is clearly in the state’s best interest for him to step down,” said Henry, also a Democrat.

Fisher should consider the massive costs to the state involved in House impeachment proceedings and a Senate trial, Henry said.

For the first time since House lawmakers began investigating him this spring, Fisher appeared at the state Capitol for an event related to the committee’s work when he attended a news conference.

Fisher said resigning is “not a consideration.”

“My honesty, my integrity, my reputation has not been attacked just in Oklahoma but it’s been attacked nationally. For me to resign would be an admission that I’ve done wrong. And I’ve done no wrong. I’m willing to stand and fight for that. I fight for my rights just like I fight for every Oklahoman every day.”

Impeachment is recommended on accusations he mishandled insurance education money, improperly solicited donations to his charity, used his position to obtain a political opponent’s confidential employment records, solicited gifts from entities he regulated and deposited a $1,000 campaign check into his personal account.

The report contains many of the same accusations Fisher faces in a multicounty investigation.

Edmondson said Fisher’s impeachment or resignation wouldn’t deter the grand jury’s work.

Edmondson’s assistants are prosecuting three criminal charges against the commissioner. Those are: embezzling insurance education funds, operating a charity illegally and embezzling a $1,000 campaign contribution.

“I don’t think it was any different than what we expected,” Fisher said. “The charges are things that have been brought up before. They’re the same thing that we’ve not had our ... opportunity to explain in public.”

“I’m looking forward to having that opportunity to go forward with this and get it behind us.”

Keith
09-01-2004, 12:38 PM
Look at all the stuff he is guilty of. He either has no morals, no ethics, no conscience, or all of the above to think that he hasn't done anything wrong. But, of course, taxpayers are paying for all this, so he is laughing about it. Yep, he got another one over on the taxpayers.

Below is a statement from his attorney.

We think it’s not fair, it’s not due process that he has to be put on trial where he can lose his office before they are trying to take away his freedom,” attorney Irven Box said.

That's what Fisher is afraid of....losing his office and going to jail. If that were me or you, we would have already been booked into county jail and would be conversing with our roommates(fellow inmates). :eek:

Patrick
09-01-2004, 01:35 PM
Does Irven Box just represent anyone and everyone? Seems like all of the big guns get him to represent them. The man deserves to go to jail for what he did! I couldn't agree with you more, Keith....if it was one of us, we'd already be in jail!

Just for kicks here's a pic of Fisher......anyone want to try to look into his brain for a moment and try to figure out what the guy is thinking?

http://www.newsok.com/tempimages/s1fisher.jpg

mranderson
09-24-2004, 09:28 AM
Carrol Fisher has blocked his own impeachment trial...

Effective immediatly, he has resigned. This was just announced on Channeloklahoma.com.

I would have liked to see the trial move forward, however, this is usually how it goes. He obviously knew he was cooked.

Midtowner
09-24-2004, 09:41 AM
Irvin Box does represent him. Irvin's a highly overrated attorney. He gets a lot of these "high profile" cases. When is the last time he actually won one of them for his client?

He's a nice guy though and he does have a little bit of media savvy.