View Full Version : President Obama will be in Oklahoma on Sunday

Pages : [1] 2

Tydude
05-22-2013, 11:35 AM
marykbruce: President Obama will travel to Oklahoma Sunday to see firsthand the damage of the devastating tornadoes, @PressSec announced

venture
05-22-2013, 12:03 PM
Figured he would come in, since Clinton was here for May 3rd and I want to say Bush came in for something. Sunday seems to be a decent time frame since right now would just be too much with the secret service demands being too high. Which most administrations tend to understand their presence can be a hinderance right after an event.

ultimatesooner
05-22-2013, 12:15 PM
stay home and save the jet fuel BO // unless he is gonna show up w/ some work boots and gloves we don't need him coming to town and slowing the progress down

venture
05-22-2013, 12:21 PM
stay home and save the jet fuel BO // unless he is gonna show up w/ some work boots and gloves we don't need him coming to town and slowing the progress down

And so it begins...

CuatrodeMayo
05-22-2013, 12:28 PM
It would be sad if this thread ends up in the Politic forum...

CaptDave
05-22-2013, 12:34 PM
And so it begins...

I hoped it wouldn't, but knew it probably would. Pathetic people cannot keep their hatred in check even for a few days when the man is doing exactly what he should.

The response to the tornado has been exactly what it should have been. Even in Oklahoma, partisan crap was set aside for 24-48 hours. The responders are getting the support they need. Various government and non-government entities are stepping up to assist the victims. The cooperation between local, state, and federal agencies has been outstanding.

Yet some people's hearts are so dark, vision so narrow, and minds so closed; they refuse to see good in others no matter what.

BoulderSooner
05-22-2013, 12:38 PM
or people don't see a need for him to come here .... not sure that an opinion has to be political ...

i don't really care either way as long as the federal govt continues to give moore/okc/the state the support it needs ..

Tydude
05-22-2013, 12:48 PM
Bush came here for the Opening of the National Memorial Museum

OkieHornet
05-22-2013, 12:50 PM
if anything, it will help keep awareness up nationally for a little while longer, and not be forgotten so quickly. that may help with donations from outside the area.

Bellaboo
05-22-2013, 12:56 PM
I did not vote for BO, but I think it's a great thing for him to come. When he sees the devastation first hand, it will make that much more of an impact for the needs at hand.

He is here to help folks.... this is not a campaign trail.

jerrywall
05-22-2013, 12:59 PM
Figured he would come in, since Clinton was here for May 3rd and I want to say Bush came in for something. Sunday seems to be a decent time frame since right now would just be too much with the secret service demands being too high. Which most administrations tend to understand their presence can be a hinderance right after an event.

Is Sunday enough time? Won't they have to significantly shut down clean up efforts during his visit? As least it's after the search and rescue phase though.

venture
05-22-2013, 01:14 PM
or people don't see a need for him to come here .... not sure that an opinion has to be political ...

i don't really care either way as long as the federal govt continues to give moore/okc/the state the support it needs ..

I could see the comment understandable if it weren't political, but since the poster decided to use the "BO" moniker that is a favorite in the politics section instead of just President, "Prez", Obama, whatever...and considering the context and manner of the rest of their post, the intentions are pretty clear.

I agree with others that this will help keep visibility up to keep donations coming in. This is pegged at almost $2-3 billion in damage right now. The entire state budget is $7.1 billion. If people want to scream and shout and tell him to stay home, then they need to write their congressional delegation and demand FEMA leave and all federal aid stay out as well. Since that would be logical based on their wanting federal gov't to stay out. However, the state isn't going to be able to do this alone and we'll need the federal aid to get people help and back on their feet.

Is Sunday enough time? Won't they have to significantly shut down clean up efforts during his visit? As least it's after the search and rescue phase though.

Judging off previous Presidential visits to disasters, very little gets shut down. Typically they wait until the main search/recovery phase is done since that is most important. Clinton was here on May 8th of 1999. Obama is at least waiting until Sunday as well so traffic will be light for the motorcade to get in without causing more of a traffic jam than what we already have with gawkers.

BoulderSooner
05-22-2013, 01:25 PM
good post i agree ..

keep in mind that most of that 2-3 billion is covered by insurance ..

warreng88
05-22-2013, 01:28 PM
When he was here last year, AFO flew into Tinker and they shut down the highway for him to get through. I am curious if they are going to take the same route. Flying into WWRA would make more sense since it is closer to the damage. I am curious if he is going to survey the damage in the shawnee area as well.

Plutonic Panda
05-22-2013, 01:36 PM
And so it begins...On the News9 article on Facebook, that was one of the first responses. Don't understand why people say things like that.

Plutonic Panda
05-22-2013, 01:37 PM

i don't really care either way as long as the federal govt continues to give moore/okc/the state the support it needs ..I think he should come here.

mkjeeves
05-22-2013, 01:49 PM
The world is watching. It's what people expect around the globe. Some locals would complain if he didn't, many of the same who complain because he is.

I wonder if Fallin will be out of town this time?

OKCTalker
05-22-2013, 01:49 PM
Presidential trips like this soak up law enforcement resources, divert attention from tangible recovery efforts, cause traffic problems (highways and TFRs in the air), and cost money. He'll get a photo op with the governor and a few survivors gazing over a wasted landscape, utter a few quickly-forgotten statements, call for greater awareness during storms, and go home. Republican, Democrat or Independent - it matters not.

Call me cynical, but I don't know what tangible purpose it serves, whether it's following Katrina or Sandy, May 3rd or May 20th.

jerrywall
05-22-2013, 02:07 PM
Presidential trips like this soak up law enforcement resources, divert attention from tangible recovery efforts, cause traffic problems (highways and TFRs in the air), and cost money. He'll get a photo op with the governor and a few survivors gazing over a wasted landscape, utter a few quickly-forgotten statements, call for greater awareness during storms, and go home. Republican, Democrat or Independent - it matters not.

Call me cynical, but I don't know what tangible purpose it serves, whether it's following Katrina or Sandy, May 3rd or May 20th.

It helps maintain awareness, it's a major morale booster for volunteers, workers, and victims, and a leader leads from the ground, not from AF1.

Bunty
05-22-2013, 02:12 PM
On the News9 article on Facebook, that was one of the first responses. Don't understand why people say things like that.

Plenty of Oklahomans strongly hate and resent President Obama due to his ObamaCare. No law should say you have to buy health insurance. And then all these scandals.

catch22
05-22-2013, 02:14 PM
Whether you like him or not, the President's job is to be a leader. He is doing exactly what he should be doing by visiting. Sure he's not going to actually do any work, he'll do a photo-op like every other politician with a shovel and gloves on. But I'm not expecting him to come to offer physical help. He's coming as a morale booster, that people outside of our little world in Oklahoma care and are going to give us the support we need.

venture
05-22-2013, 02:15 PM

As others say...it raises awareness. I'll leave it up to the victims to decide on how they feel about the visit. He's President of the entire country, not just the states that voted for him. People need to start checking this crap at the door.

As far as TFRs...there has been one up since it occurred and is currently active until the 24th. Nothing significant is really going to change. They'll push KOKC traffic out a bit while he is on approach, but its not going to really impact things if he comes into KTIK.

Teo9969
05-22-2013, 02:19 PM
And so it begins...

HEY! He let someone else get the first word at least!

mkjeeves
05-22-2013, 02:41 PM
I'm glad he is coming. I wish it didn't take a disaster like this to bring a president to Oklahoma but I'm really glad he's coming anyway.

He was here not that long ago and it wasn't an emergency. (and was soundly snubbed by most of the local so called leaders.)

venture
05-22-2013, 03:17 PM
good post i agree ..

keep in mind that most of that 2-3 billion is covered by insurance ..

Insurance companies will pay yes...but that won't keep local governments from double dipping. I want it say it was May 3rd when cities filed for aid but also insurance claims. They ended up using the insurance money for parks and other quality of life improvements and nothing related to the storm damage. Should we expect cities to pay assistance money back after insurance pays out?

zookeeper
05-22-2013, 03:42 PM
I'm glad he is coming. I wish it didn't take a disaster like this to bring a president to Oklahoma but I'm really glad he's coming anyway.

Exactly, Sid. Also, just imagine the outcry if he DIDN'T come, they would say it's another example of arrogance and his being out of touch with the people. That's just how polarized we are today as a society.

AP
05-22-2013, 03:53 PM
That's just how polarized we are today as a society.

+1. It's pretty sad how divided this country is on politics. It's to the point almost that everyone is on the extreme side of their party with very few in the middle willing to make the best decision for everyone.

Mel
05-22-2013, 06:17 PM
He is leader of this nation, this is his job. He should come here. Pics don't convey enough. Disasters like this must be felt up close. The smells, the sounds, the overwhelming presence, He must come here to fully understand.

kelroy55
05-22-2013, 07:00 PM
I think it's the right thing to do.

http://si.wsj.net/public/resources/images/WK-AZ000_TV_REV_G_20110825165228.jpg

mmonroe
05-22-2013, 10:09 PM
I would love to see Obama put on some work gloves and help, even for just an hour, it would say a lot.

ljbab728
05-22-2013, 10:35 PM
I would love to see Obama put on some work gloves and help, even for just an hour, it would say a lot.

I'm not saying it's a bad idea but I don't think it would mean that much. Mary Fallin has provided some good support by touring the area and with her statements but she hasn't put on any gloves just as no other touring Oklahoma politicians have not. It's just not a big issue.

OKCisOK4me
05-22-2013, 10:40 PM
My chime on this...and it's not political cause I can't stand the opinions...

We're in a country that has a leader that represents the well being of his citizens. Set the political agendas aside. He's not coming in to sit front row at a Thunder game. He's here to witness the devastation of Moore and to talk to state and local leaders, who in my opinion are pieces of crap for not welcoming the President when he came to Oklahoma a year and a half ago or so to present a speech in Cushing, and are only now bowing down before him because he's (probably) reluctantly coming back to Oklahoma to talk to them, albeit briefly, about federal assistance before he goes back to pissing everyone off.

My advice, is...regardless of who the President is, appreciate the fact that they're coming to Oklahoma to witness first hand the war zone that Moore is.

ljbab728
05-22-2013, 10:47 PM
I agree. It's like the video I posted in another thread about Kevin Durant touring the destruction. He wasn't wearing gloves and picking through debris but the people in the area were thrilled to see him and it obviously raised their spirits to know how much he cares.

sayyes
05-22-2013, 10:59 PM
The people that complain about him coming in is analogous to someone who has a grudge against someone, but their friend just died. This person would then show up for the funeral and afterwards at the wake bring up why they have the grudge. There is a time and a place for everything. People that don't like him don't have to celebrate him, but don't hate on him for doing what every other President would have done is illogical. If he didn't come the same people would be saying he hates Okies because he decided not to come.

CaptDave
05-22-2013, 11:59 PM
Glad to see cooler heads prevailing in this thread. I don't think we should have many complaints about the response of the federal and state governments and businesses and individuals. There are other issues I have mentioned in other threads, but taken as a whole, everyone has done as much as possible to provide assistance as quickly as possible.

SoonerBoy18
05-23-2013, 06:14 AM

*sigh* ..... WHY?????????????!??!!!!!!! REALLY???!

SoonerBoy18
05-23-2013, 06:21 AM
For him to say "America will stand with its fellow citizens as long as it takes" and then to read the comments on this website is very heartbreaking to me. No words..

Bellaboo
05-23-2013, 06:22 AM
My chime on this...and it's not political cause I can't stand the opinions...

We're in a country that has a leader that represents the well being of his citizens. Set the political agendas aside. He's not coming in to sit front row at a Thunder game. He's here to witness the devastation of Moore and to talk to state and local leaders, who in my opinion are pieces of crap for not welcoming the President when he came to Oklahoma a year and a half ago or so to present a speech in Cushing, and are only now bowing down before him because he's (probably) reluctantly coming back to Oklahoma to talk to them, albeit briefly, about federal assistance before he goes back to pissing everyone off.

My advice, is...regardless of who the President is, appreciate the fact that they're coming to Oklahoma to witness first hand the war zone that Moore is.

You are doing it too.

jerrywall
05-23-2013, 09:05 AM
For him to say "America will stand with its fellow citizens as long as it takes" and then to read the comments on this website is very heartbreaking to me. No words..

Really? You've got two pages of pretty much overwhelmingly supportive comments about his visit, and "ONE" sort of negative comment. Is your heart made of tissue paper?

jerrywall
05-23-2013, 09:10 AM
He was here not that long ago and it wasn't an emergency. (and was soundly snubbed by most of the local so called leaders.)

Considering that a) it was a campaign visit, and b) it was scheduled during a time that the Gov had already scheduled a trip, I don't see the snub. I don't expect most politicians would cancel trips to make campaign appearances for a candidate in the opposition party. If he was coming here on business I'm sure she would have stayed and met with him.

Richard at Remax
05-23-2013, 09:55 AM
Im a republican and I am glad he is coming to visit. Sometimes you have to respect the position rather than the person.

Jersey Boss
05-23-2013, 10:47 AM
Considering that a) it was a campaign visit, and b) it was scheduled during a time that the Gov had already scheduled a trip, I don't see the snub. I don't expect most politicians would cancel trips to make campaign appearances for a candidate in the opposition party. If he was coming here on business I'm sure she would have stayed and met with him.

(a)The visit was in conjunction with the tar sands pipeline, not a campaign visit. Why would he campaign in Oklahoma? A large cache of electoral votes in a state that can go either way? Puhleeeze. (b) Mary was going on a vacation trip, which we all know she could have deviated from. You are selling weak sauce.

jerrywall
05-23-2013, 11:02 AM
(a)The visit was in conjunction with the tar sands pipeline, not a campaign visit. Why would he campaign in Oklahoma? A large cache of electoral votes in a state that can go either way? Puhleeeze. (b) Mary was going on a vacation trip, which we all know she could have deviated from. You are selling weak sauce.

You can argue the point of his visit, but it was a quick stop, to make a speech, and then leave. Yes, he spoke about the pipeline, and yes, the governor's office did send someone there to represent the state. No, he didn't try or plan to meet with the governor, no he didn't go to the capital (he flew to Cushing directly from Tinker), and yes, her trip was scheduled before this visit was announced (In fact, she was already in PR when she was notified). Again, I don't understand the requirement that the governor attend every non-business function of an opposition party president, especially if it involves cancelling her and her family's plans. Is that in the state constitution somewhere?

MadMonk
05-23-2013, 11:33 AM
I'm okay with the visit. It's the presidential thing to do and should be expected after a tragedy of this scale.

Jersey Boss
05-23-2013, 11:36 AM
You can argue the point of his visit, but it was a quick stop, to make a speech, and then leave. Yes, he spoke about the pipeline, and yes, the governor's office did send someone there to represent the state. No, he didn't try or plan to meet with the governor, no he didn't go to the capital (he flew to Cushing directly from Tinker), and yes, her trip was scheduled before this visit was announced (In fact, she was already in PR when she was notified). Again, I don't understand the requirement that the governor attend every non-business function of an opposition party president, especially if it involves cancelling her and her family's plans. Is that in the state constitution somewhere?

Not true again. The Governor sent no one. The state was not represented. The highest ranking official was the Mayor of OKC, who is not a state official. The mayor represents OKC. The President is not only what you refer to as an "opposition party president", he is also the head of state. The pipeline is not a non-business function in a state where petro is not only business, but is the biggest business here. She was elected to represent our state all the time, not when it fits her vacation schedule.

jerrywall
05-23-2013, 11:46 AM
Not true again. The Governor sent no one. The state was not represented. The highest ranking official was the Mayor of OKC, who is not a state official. The mayor represents OKC. The President is not only what you refer to as an "opposition party president", he is also the head of state. The pipeline is not a non-business function in a state where petro is not only business, but is the biggest business here. She was elected to represent our state all the time not when it fits her vacation schedule.

The Mayor was at Tinker. The Governor sent someone to the Cushing speech. Also, during this time the Lt. Governor was meeting with the VP. Kris Steele also tried to go, but was told there was "no room". You might try to get facts correct.

Jersey Boss
05-23-2013, 11:55 AM
Your "facts" about a campaign stop, non business function, and the governor sending "someone" to reprersent are all wrong and nothing but BS. Get your own facts straight.

OKCisOK4me
05-23-2013, 12:02 PM
You are doing it too.

Last I checked 'common courtesy' wasn't just required of people on the clock in government positions. That's not a political requirement...so no I'm NOT.

jerrywall
05-23-2013, 12:43 PM
Your "facts" about a campaign stop, non business function, and the governor sending "someone" to reprersent are all wrong and nothing but BS. Get your own facts straight.

Bzzt. Try again. She sent Dave Lopez, from her cabinet.

Again, facts.

Ginkasa
05-23-2013, 12:56 PM
How about we move this discussion about Obama's last visit somewhere else? I don't think it really matters in the context of this visit.

Anyway, does anyone know if the president will make an appearance at the memorial service on Sunday?

jerrywall
05-23-2013, 01:00 PM
That would surprise me, but you never know.

wdj
05-23-2013, 01:02 PM
This thread is precisely why I (mostly) remain a lurker. Ugh...

Ginkasa
05-23-2013, 01:05 PM
He was at the memorials for both the Boston marathon bombing and the Texas explosion memorial. Moore's tornado has more casualties, injuries, and higher property damage. I'm not trying to downplay those previousntragedies at all. It just seems if they were "worth" a presidential visit to their memorials, then Moore's memorial probably is too.

venture
05-23-2013, 01:07 PM
This thread is precisely why I (mostly) remain a lurker. Ugh...

Indeed. Politics is too polarized to enjoy anymore. Common sense is gone from the discussion and its all about screwing the other person or making the other look worse. Worthless garbage talk from people that are just puppets for MSNBC or FOX News.

jerrywall
05-23-2013, 01:18 PM
He was at the memorials for both the Boston marathon bombing and the Texas explosion memorial. Moore's tornado has more casualties, injuries, and higher property damage. I'm not trying to downplay those previousntragedies at all. It just seems if they were "worth" a presidential visit to their memorials, then Moore's memorial probably is too.

I was thinking in terms of venue, and size. I'm not familiar with the First Baptist Church in Moore to know it's capacity.

RadicalModerate
05-23-2013, 01:20 PM
Once again:
A visit by The President of The United States of America (no matter who he or she may be) to a State that has suffered a random natural act of destruction--beyond any human control--is more in the realm of expressing human compassion than anything remotely related to political grandstanding.

Anyone who honestly thinks otherwise should consider a visit to Topeka: Specifically Westboro "Church" in Topeka, Kansas.
It is a little closer to the Hell from which they apparently crawled.

jerrywall
05-23-2013, 01:22 PM
Once again:
A visit of The President of The United States of America (no matter who he or she may be) to a State that has suffered a random act of destruction--beyond any human control--is more in the realm of expressing human compassion than anything remotely related to political grandstanding.

I don't think anyone has said otherwise. This thread on a whole (besides I think one post) been positive/supportive about his visit.

RadicalModerate
05-23-2013, 01:25 PM
You may be right.
(i picked this up again at Post #55 and may have missed the referential context. sorry.)

dcsooner
05-23-2013, 01:36 PM
You are doing it too.

No, he is just telling the truth

zookeeper
05-23-2013, 01:39 PM
Indeed. Politics is too polarized to enjoy anymore. Common sense is gone from the discussion and its all about screwing the other person or making the other look worse. Worthless garbage talk from people that are just puppets for MSNBC or FOX News.

So true, Venture. A look at any comments thread on a news site and no matter how innocent the article seems to be, it ends up being brutal. I rarely read them anymore.