View Full Version : Set of new tires - front or rear placement?

BBatesokc
05-07-2013, 09:51 AM
The other thread on oil change intervals got me thinking about tire rotation and placement.

Had something come up and wondered other's thoughts.

The Prius I just picked up (front wheel drive) had really worn front tires and good rear tires (was also out of alignment).

I bought two new tires at Discount Tire (love this business) and they put them on the rear and moved the good rear tires to the front.

I also noticed signs in the building saying when only buying two new tires, they will always be installed on the rear for safety reasons.

However, when I went this morning to the Toyota dealership (Bob Howard), they noted the tire depth difference (10 on the back and 6 on the front) and recommended rotating them so the newer tires were on the front.

I told them about my experience with Discount Tire. BH said since mine is a front wheel drive car the newer tires needed to go on the front.

I called Discount Tire to inquire and they repeated what they originally told me and pointed to what my tire manufacturer recommends - new tires to the rear.

I then did some online searching...... Again, most reputable sites (as in posts from real companies, not individuals) said the new school of thought is new tires to the rear.

They explain that it is safer in the event of hydroplaning - which is far more common than a blowout.

I pointed this out to the BH service guy and he didn't really have an answer. Just said "that's how we've always done it." He did though tell me he was curious and would make some calls and look into it.

In the end I left my tires as installed by Discount Tire.

Thoughts?

SoonerDave
05-07-2013, 09:56 AM
Absolutely agree with putting the best pair of tires on the rear wheels. If the tread on the rear tires is lesser than that on the front, it will tend to allow the vehicle to swing with less control from the backside on a skid, hence the issue with hydroplaning. Putting the best tread on the rear mitigates this problem. I find that dealerships are often the least desirable place to ask these kinds of questions, as their shops often have the highest churn rate for their techs and, thus, the least overall depth of experience. Beyond that, the dealer garages are too busy trying to sell $90 battery service that amounts to a couple pumps of terminal spray on the posts :)

I believe the overwhelming majority of tire shops these days would encourage precisely what Discount Tire did.

BradR
05-07-2013, 10:26 AM
I've always heard to put new tires on the rear as well mainly to keep your traction in the rear on curves especially in wet pavement.

Wambo36
05-07-2013, 10:34 AM
My thoughts have always been that the front tires get more wear due to turning and the weight of the engine. Therefore (when only buying 2 tires) I always move the ones from the rear to the front so that the older tires are getting the most wear and therefore will be the next to be replaced.

MadMonk
05-07-2013, 11:23 AM
I've always heard to put new tires on the rear as well mainly to keep your traction in the rear on curves especially in wet pavement.
This due to safety reasons.

My thoughts have always been that the front tires get more wear due to turning and the weight of the engine. Therefore (when only buying 2 tires) I always move the ones from the rear to the front so that the older tires are getting the most wear and therefore will be the next to be replaced.
This due to practicality reasons.

Larry OKC
05-10-2013, 11:53 AM
I realize that this applies to just replacing 2 tires, but from what I was laways told, the best practice is to replace all 4 tires at once and then keep them rotated according to the recommendations so you have even wear and get maximum life out of all the tires.

SoonerDave
05-10-2013, 12:12 PM
I realize that this applies to just replacing 2 tires, but from what I was laways told, the best practice is to replace all 4 tires at once and then keep them rotated according to the recommendations so you have even wear and get maximum life out of all the tires.

Oh, absolutely. And I have to plead absolutely and unequivocally guilty to not having properly rotated my tires, leaving me with nearly-worn rears and good-shape fronts. Expensive lesson.

Compounding the problem in my case was that I had two patches in my front right tire already, and after the second patch, the story broke about Chad Perry's van blowing a tire on the highway, and it frightened the garbage out of me in light of the fact my family is taking a long road trip a bit later this year. I was planning to save a couple hundred dollars not replacing the front two tires...then I saw that mangled van, and realized that was kind of a stupid way to save money. Bought four nice, new, quality tires, ate the $$ for the lesson on not having rotated, and will be smarter about it next time around.

Just the facts
05-10-2013, 12:14 PM
Compromise - 1 new on the back and 1 new one on the front (opposite side of course) - which is how they will end up after the first tire rotation anyhow.

Larry OKC
05-10-2013, 12:28 PM
JTF: not if they do it correctly, if you have 2 old and 2 new, they are supposed to be moved from front to back in pairs

zookeeper
05-10-2013, 12:31 PM
Compromise - 1 new on the back and 1 new one on the front (opposite side of course) - which is how they will end up after the first tire rotation anyhow.

Nope, then your first tire rotation has uneven wear on your last brand new set of two. That's basically wearing your last purchased pair at an advanced and uneven rate. You definitely want your newest tires to be on the rear.

Just the facts
05-10-2013, 12:38 PM
Whatever guys - even if you do them in pairs what was on the front will be in the back soon enough anyhow. Of course, if consistent tire rotation was done all 4 would have worn out at the same time.

zookeeper
05-10-2013, 12:40 PM
Whatever guys - even if you do them in pairs what was on the front will be in the back soon enough anyhow.

Yes, but the idea is to keep as even a tread as possible. Your compromise would ruin that out of the box.

Larry OKC
05-10-2013, 12:41 PM
exactly (to both JTF and Zoo)

Roger S
05-10-2013, 12:48 PM

I think you are taking the term rotate to literally.... Generally the two rear tires are moved straight forward and the two front tires are moved diagonally to the rear. Some places do it just opposite and move front to rear and rear diagonally but no tire company is going to rotate the tires in a clockwise or counterclockwise direction.

Just the facts
05-10-2013, 12:57 PM
Well, I don't want to get into a whole 'tire rotation strategy' debate, as I have the dealer rotate my tire when I get the oil changed so I don't know how the do it (or even if the actually don't do it and charge me anyhow). All I am saying is that if you put the new ones on the back first - in 6 months they will be on the front. And if you put them on front first then in 6 months they will be on the back. We are talking a 5,000 to 10,000 mile difference on a tire that will last +85,000 miles. If hydroplaning is the concern then I guess you have to plan ahead and make sure the right tire are at the right position during the rainy season.

BTW - I assuming you guys aren't rotating out the spare tire right. :)

Roger S
05-10-2013, 01:13 PM
BTW - I assuming you guys aren't rotating out the spare tire right. :)

No, but I do make sure they check it's condition and keep it properly inflated every time I have my tires rotated.

Last thing I want to do is get caught out in the middle of nowhere with a flat tire and a bad spare. Chasing BBQ and fishing has me out in the middle of nowhere quite a bit.

BBatesokc
05-11-2013, 03:48 AM

Yikes..... no way (IMO). At least not with my car and tires. Its a straight back to front, front to back. My tires are almost always directional thread tires - you can't rotate diagonally or you really screw things up.

Servicetech571
05-11-2013, 01:41 PM
The problem with always puttign hte new tires on back is you get stuck in a cycle of buying 2 tires at a time since the front tires typically wear out faster. Once fronts are worn out the back goes to the front and the cycle repeats. For safety reasons the new tires should be on the back though...