View Full Version : Government assistance for phones

kelroy55
05-06-2013, 12:06 PM
The new commercial for the phones cracks me up and makes me mad at the same time. The new pitch is the Federal Government is cracking down on fraud so hurry up and get your phone while you can.

wdj
05-06-2013, 12:24 PM
Over the weekend, a couple of people were going door to door in my neighborhood. They literally had BAGS of phones in their arms. Declined their offer, then they tried to give me some for my 'family and friends'.

How in the hell is any of this legal?

OKCTalker
05-06-2013, 12:28 PM
This program is depleting available telephone numbers in the 405, which will require it to be split into two area codes sooner than necessary.

GaryOKC6
05-06-2013, 12:29 PM
The sad part is that the government is laying off air traffic controllers but can still find the money to fund this. I have seen guys at the convenience stores trying to sell the phones to people walking in the store.

Plutonic Panda
05-06-2013, 01:18 PM
Okay, I have a few questions.

1. Are these phones completely free or discounted?

2. Are these smart phones or regular(stupid ;)) phones?(the stupid part was a joke btw lol)

3.Any figures on how much money the government pumps into this.

4.Also, when/if you get the phone free, is there a service charge? Connects to any mobile networks, or one created by the government?

I realize I could find this on google, I'm just very busy today. I will probably look it up later anyways ;P

Roger S
05-06-2013, 01:31 PM
2. Are these smart phones or regular(stupid ;)) phones?(the stupid part was a joke btw lol)

I pretty much consider Smart Phones to be stupid unless you are using them for business purposes. Then again I live debt free and within my means. So I'm no longer what you would consider the typical American.

venture
05-06-2013, 01:57 PM
I pretty much consider Smart Phones to be stupid unless you are using them for business purposes. Then again I live debt free and within my means. So I'm no longer what you would consider the typical American.

Get to Canada you non 'Merican type person you!

GaryOKC6
05-06-2013, 02:06 PM

Indiana Agency Investigating Oklahoma-Based Cell Phone Provider

Posted: May 06, 2013 2:20 PM CDT Updated: May 06, 2013 2:20 PM CDT
By Associated Press

INDIANAPOLIS, Indiana -
Indiana's utility agency is investigating an Oklahoma-based cell phone company after it set up 30,000 accounts in the state for a federal subsidy program in less than a year.

The Indianapolis Business Journal reports Indiana Utility Regulatory Commission documents say TerraCom LLC might have improperly activated duplicate accounts.

Records show TerraCom receives $250,000 or more every month from the federal Lifeline program every month in Indiana.

2/26/2013 Related Story: Two Oklahoma Lifeline Companies To Pay More Than $1 Million To FCC

Terracome executive Dale Schmick says the Oklahoma City company is successfully marketing itse service to low-income customers and welcomes the chance to explain itself to Indiana officials. The utility commission has scheduled a May 30 hearing to discuss TerraCom's case.

The federal Lifeline program dates to 1985 and provides subsidies averaging $9.25 nationwide toward discount phone service plans.

Roger S
05-06-2013, 02:08 PM
It's certainly okay for you not to want them, but stupid? Do you mean it would be stupid for you to own one? Or are you judging me for buying and owning one? Do you think I am stupid since you think they are stupid to own for non-business purposes and I use them every day for non-business purposes?

Oh, and I'm debt free and live within my means.

Yes, I am saying you can spend your money as stupidly as you want to. Especially if you are debt free and living within your means. :wink:

Roger S
05-06-2013, 02:17 PM
Alrighty then. :)

I'm coming over to see if you own anything I don't think you should own, then I'll be promptly labeling you as stupid. ;-)

Oh trust me... I have made plenty of stupid purchases in my life.... They aren't quite as stupid when you live the debt free life as you and I do.

To clarify though.... The majority of smart phones users do not live within their means and if you are carrying debt owning a "Smart" phone is certainly not a good financial decision.

kelroy55
05-06-2013, 02:28 PM
Oh trust me... I have made plenty of stupid purchases in my life.... They aren't quite as stupid when you live the debt free life as you and I do.

To clarify though.... The majority of smart phones users do not live within their means and if you are carrying debt owning a "Smart" phone is certainly not a good financial decision.

You have anything that shows this to be true?

Roger S
05-06-2013, 02:32 PM
You have anything that shows this to be true?

Ok, the majority of smart phone owners that I know..... Actually 100% of the people I know that have one are carrying some kind of debt.

Plutonic Panda
05-06-2013, 02:47 PM
I pretty much consider Smart Phones to be stupid unless you are using them for business purposes. Then again I live debt free and within my means. So I'm no longer what you would consider the typical American.Man, I was just kidding lol. . . I thought it was funny. :)

BTW, I own a smartphone, so I am stupid? Just because I own a smartphone, I could go and say, hey man, why don't you check out the weather and see what it's going to be, "oh I can't with this phone" "oh you're stupid for buying a phone that can't check the weather". That would be pretty disrespectful and it works both ways man. I love my phone, but I certainly hope that wouldn't classify me as stupid, in your eyes.

Also, the notion that there is some kind of correlation between financial irresponsibility and smart phones, is just hilarious, imo. Not trying to sound argumentative or anything, just re-read your post a few times and maybe you might see the "bad vibe" lol :)

Stew
05-06-2013, 02:49 PM
Ok, the majority of smart phone owners that I know..... Actually 100% of the people I know that have one are carrying some kind of debt.

Debt is a poor measure of ones financial condition. Debt is neither good or bad. It's merely a tool. The only true measure of one's financial success is net worth. Now it would be interesting if you could correlate net worth to smart phone usage.

I don't get the free phone thing but I can only imagine it was borne by industry lobbyist.

BBatesokc
05-06-2013, 02:58 PM
Debt is a poor measure of ones financial condition. ...

I agree. Before we bought our new home I spoke with our bank about getting a home loan. They pulled my credit and said my number was very high - however, they also said it would be difficult (at that time) to grant me a loan because I had no real credit history in the last 10 years. Meaning, I had no debt (other than my current home) and therefore no credit history (good or bad). I literally had to get two credit cards and incur some small debt to insure they would grant me the loan (which they did several months later).

BBatesokc
05-06-2013, 03:04 PM

You might want to re-look at phone plans in the last few years. For one, you have to go out of your way to find a non-smart phone. Two, smart phone plans these days are actually most often cheaper than 'dumb' phone plans.

My grandfather wanted 'just a phone.' Problem is, those phones were no cheaper, and in some instance more expensive, than smart phones. He found two that were marketed to old folks wanting just a phone - but they came with hardly any minutes at all.

Also, I find that smart phones keep an awful lot of people more social than they otherwise would be (albeit digitally social) and I'm thankful for them.

Roger S
05-06-2013, 03:11 PM
Well I don't want to drag this thread too far off topic.... So let's just all agree to disagree with me on this one. :wink:

Plutonic Panda
05-06-2013, 04:03 PM
you might want to re-look at phone plans in the last few years. For one, you have to go out of your way to find a non-smart phone. Two, smart phone plans these days are actually most often cheaper than 'dumb' phone plans.

My grandfather wanted 'just a phone.' problem is, those phones were no cheaper, and in some instance more expensive, than smart phones. He found two that were marketed to old folks wanting just a phone - but they came with hardly any minutes at all.

Also, i find that smart phones keep an awful lot of people more social than they otherwise would be (albeit digitally social) and i'm thankful for them.like