View Full Version : More chains coming to Memorial Rd. suburbia!

Patrick
07-01-2005, 11:14 AM
I'm personally glad all of these chains are coming to Memorial Rd. and not Bricktown. Memorial Rd. is becoming another strip of chain restaurants. Nothing special there.

------------------

"More Chain Links in Metro: Number of chain restaurants new to Oklahoma City area preparing to launch into market

By Shelly Hickman and Pamela Grady

Oklahoma City residents shouldn’t be offended Denver-based Red Robin International Inc. considered Tulsa a safer site to locate its first restaurant in Oklahoma.

A year after the chain opened locations in Tulsa and Broken Arrow, it is eager to get its first metro-area restaurant opened in Norman next month, and it has big plans for even more growth in the Oklahoma City area in the very near future.

“Routinely, Tulsa ranks as one of the fastest growing cities for restaurants,” said Scott Allen, general manager for the soon-to-be Red Robin in Norman off Lindsay and Ed Noble Parkway. “P.F. Changs went to Tulsa first and was there for a while before coming here. We were there first, too. I see that quite a bit.”

Allen said the deference to Tulsa has more to do with its population density and of it being confined to a smaller geographic area than anything else.

“The difference between Tulsa and Oklahoma City is that Tulsa is one big area whereas Oklahoma City is spread out into a lot of smaller areas,” he said.

Still, Red Robin believes the metro has much potential, so much so it will open its Norman location July 11 and will break ground in the Penn and Memorial area and open a restaurant there in November.

“Norman is a booming area. It’s right in the thick of things,” Allen said. “Our real estate people are really good at finding areas. When I saw the site, it was obvious to me that, wow, what a great location.”

The Norman operation will consume between 5,000 and 7,000 square feet, have an occupancy of about 220 people and require about 175 hourly and six management positions. The restaurant began accepting applications for both types of positions last Monday.

Allen doubted Red Robin’s expansion to the metro would be limited to Norman and the metro’s far north reaches.

“Red Robin goes in and saturates the market in order to get the name recognition out there,” he said.

The chain began in 1969 in Seattle and moved its headquarters to Denver in 2001 shortly after its public offering. Today, it has 275 locations, lacking a presence in only “a few states,” Allen said.

Billing itself first and foremost as a maker of “gourmet hamburgers,” Red Robin also includes other casual-faire menu items such as sandwiches and various appetizers. And, according to the chain’s Web site, it will introduce many new items beginning June 6 which feature chili.

While all of its locations include a bar, Red Robin, which is routinely cited in the press as a “Best Restaurant” for children, doesn’t call its bars ‘bars’ per se.

“We call it our refreshment center because 80 percent or more [of what we make at the bar] is milkshakes or lemonade versus alcohol drinks,” Allen said.

Hal Smith group to build Mahogany

Red Robin won’t be the only new chain in town. Hal Smith Restaurant Group has just broken ground on its first metro-area Mahogany Prime Steak House.

Introduced in Tulsa off South Yale in 2000 and Omaha, Neb., three years later, Hal Smith’s Mahogany will open in early fall off Memorial Road, just west of Amerisuites and east of the FBI building.

“We call it a classic premiere steakhouse,” said Hank Kraft, chief operating officer for the restaurant group. “It has a cosmopolitan feel of New York to it just like some of the finer steakhouses in New York City.”

The price point for Mahogany is well above most of the restaurant group’s other restaurants, including Charleston’s and the Louie’s brand restaurants. While Kraft said the per-person price range will be between $18 and $35, the Tulsa location features menu items ala carte and the per-person price can easily exceed $35. The restaurant also has an impressive wine list.

Ironically, though, Mahogany in Tulsa is located adjacent to Charleston’s and, despite being pricier and more upscale, has nonetheless flourished in the market.

The Oklahoma City location will require about 60 to 65 employees and seat about 160 people. Three separate dining rooms of various sizes will house 35 to 40 tables and reservations will be strongly encouraged, Kraft said.

“We picked the location because of the northern exposure to Gaillardia, Quail Creek and Nichols Hills can come from the other direction,” he said. “That turnpike is picking up more traffic every day plus [the location] is just on the edge of the north side so we’ll pick up Edmond.”

He added with the rumors circulating that other chains new to the metro also will be building in the near vicinity, the Hal Smith Restaurant Group was excited with its decision to expand to Oklahoma City.

“We see tremendous growth out there with these three other restaurants going in. We’ve seen a big boom in the last year and half and I think it will continue to grow,” he said.

Kraft shared the land on which Mahogany is being built, which is owned by Stonegate Hogan, but that the Hal Smith Restaurant Group will retain ownership of the actual building.

Jeff Parker with TAParchitecture is the lead architect for the project, but the restaurant group is using its own in-house talent to fill the role as general contractor. "

fromdust
07-03-2005, 06:09 PM
do we need more restaurants on memorial? probably not, but its kinda cool to see new chains come in. then again there are so many eating establishments (for the population) that i'm surprised we're not so fat that we have to roll around just to get to them.

mranderson
07-03-2005, 06:19 PM
do we need more restaurants on memorial? probably not, but its kinda cool to see new chains come in. then again there are so many eating establishments (for the population) that i'm surprised we're not so fat that we have to roll around just to get to them.

We need some different places other than hamburger, steak,Chinese, Mexican, and Italian joints. All those are saturated.

fromdust
07-03-2005, 06:32 PM
[QUOTE=mranderson]We need some different places other than hamburger, steak,Chinese, Mexican, and Italian joints. All those are saturated.[/Q

the article talks about two restaurants in particular. a burger joint and a steak house. isn't that what you said we don't need more of?

Intrepid
07-03-2005, 07:13 PM
I'm personally glad all of these chains are coming to Memorial Rd. and not Bricktown. Memorial Rd. is becoming another strip of chain restaurants. Nothing special there.

I sure wish the chains would come to the Moore area.

floater
07-04-2005, 09:15 AM
I agree, we have too much of the same thing. A lot of it is being conservative -- on the part of residents to try something new (myself included), and on the part of restaurants/retailers to locate in an area with less income concentration (but with shorter travel times). Somebody has to take the gamble.

So what what else could come? How about:

fondue restaurant (The Melting Pot)
French!
cheese restaurant
upscale diner
mediterranean (Spanish, Italian, and Greek influenced)
indian tacos!!
southern/comfort food (chicken and waffles, not just chicken fried steak)
tapas bar
film-themed restaurants with screenings
african/ethiopian food
vegan/light food (TerraLuna comes close)
Irish pub
California food
wild game restaurant
haute cuisine
Cuban food
more American fine dining
Asian-French fusion cuisine and other combinations of ingredients and techniques
jazz supper club
cafe society brasseries (think La Baguette with alcohol)
non-chain bagel shops
Middle Eastern food
more dine-in bakeries

Yeah, some these are a bit unrealistic for the near future, but all it takes is the right approach to sell it to local diners.

mranderson
07-04-2005, 09:22 AM
I agree, we have too much of the same thing. A lot of it is being conservative -- on the part of residents to try something new (myself included), and on the part of restaurants/retailers to locate in an area with less income concentration (but with shorter travel times). Somebody has to take the gamble.

So what what else could come? How about:

fondue restaurant (The Melting Pot)
French!
cheese restaurant
upscale diner
mediterranean (Spanish, Italian, and Greek influenced)
indian tacos!!
southern/comfort food (chicken and waffles, not just chicken fried steak)
tapas bar
film-themed restaurants with screenings
african/ethiopian food
vegan/light food (TerraLuna comes close)
Irish pub
California food
wild game restaurant
haute cuisine
Cuban food
more American fine dining
Asian-French fusion cuisine and other combinations of ingredients and techniques
jazz supper club
cafe society brasseries (think La Baguette with alcohol)
non-chain bagel shops
Middle Eastern food
more dine-in bakeries

Yeah, some these are a bit unrealistic for the near future, but all it takes is the right approach to sell it to local diners.

We could also add an upscale place to the calibur of Sardi's or the Brown Derby. Oklahoma City does not have a true high end restaurant. Most Oklahoma Citians would not know one if they saw it.

By the way. Just what IS "California food?" All the times I have been there, they ate the same food we did.

Pete
07-04-2005, 10:00 AM
When people say 'California Cuisine’ they typically mean small portions of flavorful, light fare, often with an Asian influence.

I doubt it would do well, but tapas (small dishes similar to appetizers that are meant to be served in combinations for the main course) are very popular out here now.

And OKC could certainly use a couple more good, Japanese restaurants.

floater
07-04-2005, 10:49 AM
What Malibu said; from Wikipedia:

California cuisine is a cuisine marked by an interest in "fusion"— integrating disparate cooking styles and ingredients— and which, out of respect for the state's health-conscious tradition, tends to produce food which is fresh and/or lean, rather than manufactured and/or fried

The best example I can think of is fishtacos. But it's a synthesis of a couple of options I had on that list - light with multiple influences.

metro
07-09-2005, 03:56 PM
speaking of fondue, the melting pot is currently site selecting in OKC and another fondue chain based in dallas should be open by fall

Omaha Cowboy
07-10-2005, 02:01 AM
speaking of fondue, the melting pot is currently site selecting in OKC and another fondue chain based in dallas should be open by fall

You guys in OKC will like The Melting Pot..We have one in Omaha that opened up 1 year ago in our Village Pointe shopping/lifestyle center..

Now I will say, if you go there, make sure you have some time..Consuming the meal they prepare for you will take at least 90 minutes in total..There are about 4 to 5 meal couses you must consume..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace

escan
07-19-2005, 09:47 AM
Great! That's just what we need, one more "chain" restaurant. There are places around offering some of the above list, they're just not chains. Try Tom and Jerry's for tapas,etc. It's the locally owned, unique restaurants that make a city great.....not how many chains have chosen to locate there.

swake
07-19-2005, 09:51 AM
The Melting pot will do very well, and is popular with tourists. The one in Jenks on the river does very well, you have to call ahead a week or more for weekend reservations and a second Tulsa location is coming, likely in Brookside from what I hear.

hipsterdoofus
07-19-2005, 10:56 AM
Eh, I hope there isn't too much more in that area. That part of OKC is from what I know becoming like 71st and Memorial in Tulsa. Very crowded. While that may attract some people, others like myself avoid it now just because it is a mess to get through.

I agree that its nice to get new restaurants too, but if you flood that area, I think there is a chance that many of the restaurants won't survive, regardless of how good they are. The oversaturation will just kill them. Case in point is Blue Corn Cafe - in my opinion had excellent food, but people from Edmond probably never made it to that side of memorial before stopping someplace else to eat.

brianinok
07-19-2005, 04:09 PM
The reason Blue Corn Cafe died is because it was not good. I went there 3 times, each time it was bad. I know of no one that liked it.

I think that area can still support more restaurants. A few have gone, though. But you still have to wait upwards of 1.5 hours on weekends there.

thevacman
07-19-2005, 04:40 PM
I'd have to agree on the Blue Corn Cafe. When I was traveling from California with a friend we stopped in Albuquerque to try Blue Corn Cafe since we knew it was coming to OKC. It was some of the worst food we ever had and I said "this place won't last a year in OKC, I give it six months" I don't know how long it was here but I definately saw the closing coming. I certainly hope something goes in there I hate seeing such large empty buildings in such a nice area. (empty last time I was there correct me if I'm wrong) Although closed restaurant space is hard to re-use. After all other land in the area is used someone will buy it and tear it down. Let's hope they put somethimg nice there.

hipsterdoofus
07-19-2005, 04:57 PM
Not sure what you all had that was so bad at blue corn. Everyone I know that ate there loved it and was disappointed when it closed. Maybe you just aren't into New Mexican cuisine?

The Old Downtown Guy
07-19-2005, 08:41 PM
I only ate at Blue Corn 1/2 time. Left mid-meal. I think that the mental processes of those living far north OKC is being seriously effected by the food they consume at all of those Memorial Road eateries. Why would anyone intentionally drive through the intersection of Pennsylvania and Memorial Road 7-9 or 4-6?

Karried
07-19-2005, 09:02 PM
I agree. I had lunch at Blue Corn and wanted to leave mid-meal. It was just horrible.

But I live in North OKC/South Edmond and the traffic is much better lately. Nothing like driving 5 minutes and having so many shops, movies and restaurants nearby. I love this location, it's very convenient.

PS - Poblanos on May - Northpark has opened - they are doing well.

hipsterdoofus
07-19-2005, 09:16 PM
Bleh, Poblanos and Teds are both overrated. I ate at Poblanos once and the food had no flavor at all.

John
07-19-2005, 09:38 PM
I think Blue Corn Cafe was a bit out there for the masses. I enjoyed it the two times I ate there. It's one of those restaurants that you wish you had patronized more, now that it is gone.

It suffered the same exact fate of Cabo del Sol. If it isn't tex-mex, the Oklahoma Joe Consumer isn't interested. It was one of the better Mexican restaurants I have been to. The main reasons it was that way was because of the involvement of Rick Bayless, who as Oklahoma's most well known and world famous chef, developed a majority of the dishes on the menu. The moles were to die for.

Those two (failed) restaurants prove that Oklahoma can (and will) support chain restaurants.

Order up! ;)

escan
07-20-2005, 09:01 AM
That's my main gripe w/ the food selection here....we had a wonderful Italian meal at Caffe Pranzo (great, great, great!!!) and there was hardly anyone there. Drove home past the new Olive Garden on NW Expwy....line out the door. Yuck!!!

P.S. blue corn cafe building will soon be a day spa.

mranderson
07-20-2005, 09:08 AM
That's my main gripe w/ the food selection here....we had a wonderful Italian meal at Caffe Pranzo (great, great, great!!!) and there was hardly anyone there. Drove home past the new Olive Garden on NW Expwy....line out the door. Yuck!!!

P.S. blue corn cafe building will soon be a day spa.

What is a "day spa?" I have never heard of this.

hipsterdoofus
07-20-2005, 09:24 AM
I totally agree with you John. I don't think that the average Oklahoman knew what they were getting into at Blue Corn. Before I ate at Blue Corn though, I had recently been to New Mexico and kind of gotten into the whole green Chile scene, so I loved it. It was definately different, and that was why I liked it, I suppose.

brianinok
07-20-2005, 09:46 AM
I've been to New Mexico a few times and enjoyed the food I got there. But for some reason I just did not like Blue Corn. I just don't think anyone can make the blanket statement that OKC residents prefer chain restaurants. I like New Mexican food, but I did not like Blue Corn.

hipsterdoofus
07-20-2005, 09:59 AM
I've gotten to the point where I don't even mess with trying New establishments of Mexican Food. There are so many that I just have a couple I like and don't even want to bother with other ones. Alvarado's in Edmond is my main hangout and San Marcos at I-44 and May is another. Once you have 2 or 3 you like, I don't see the point of risking some place being good!

escan
07-20-2005, 10:07 AM
A day spa is a place that offers spa services; manis, pedis, massages, facials, etc., but it's not a destination spa and resort. You go in for the spa experience for one "day" only!

Patrick
07-20-2005, 01:33 PM
The new establishment moving into the old Blue Corn Cafe is N-Style Salon and Spa. They have a few other locations around town.

By the way, I also didn't like Blue Corn Cafe. It seemed too spicey to me, even moreso than Tex-Mex.

hipsterdoofus
07-20-2005, 01:52 PM
Exactly, Blue Corn was spicy, therefore I loved it :-)

jbrown84
07-20-2005, 07:59 PM
Oh man, Blue Corn was excellent. But I understand that most Oklahomans can't eat anything unless we slop chili all over it. It's unfortunate but I'm afraid we will never be able to support a New Mexican restaurant. My family has a condo in Taos and all our time there has gotten us hooked on New-Mex. Actually though the closure of our Blue Corn may not have been completely based on business at that location, because I heard the one in Albuquerque has also closed, so the whole company (started in Santa Fe) may be doing bad.

fromdust
07-20-2005, 08:32 PM
blue corn sucked!!!

hipsterdoofus
07-21-2005, 07:34 AM
Just because you don't like food somewhere is not a reason to say it sucked. I think its obvious from the posts on here that it was a matter of tastes.

jbrown84
07-21-2005, 05:42 PM
blue corn sucked!!!

Perhaps you could offer some more constructive critiscism and give us some details about why you thought Blue Corn sucked. It's rather childish to shout generalizations without backing them up with fact (or at least some warranted opinions).

fromdust
07-21-2005, 07:59 PM
okay, my girlfriend and i did not like the food or the atmosphere. its just our opinion. and to top it off the service was no good. all in all we did not enjoy our time there. are you satisfied?

jbrown84
07-21-2005, 08:48 PM
That's fine. I had perfectly good service there, so I don't think it was an overall problem. What about the service didn't you like? You are definetely entitled to your opinion, I just wanted to know why you had that opinion.

fromdust
07-21-2005, 08:59 PM
That's fine. I had perfectly good service there, so I don't think it was an overall problem. What about the service didn't you like? You are definetely entitled to your opinion, I just wanted to know why you had that opinion.

you are probably right about the service not being an overall problem. but you know sometimes you get bad service one time and it ruins your opinion about a place and you will never go back. thats what happened with us. he was a bad waiter, never keeping our drinks filled, and the food took forever. it shouldnt have taken the long to get the food to us, it was absoulutley dead that evening.

jbrown84
07-22-2005, 12:14 PM
Interesting because it was always fairly crowded when I was there. Maybe it got worse right before it closed.