View Full Version : Westboro Baptist at the Peake

boitoirich
05-01-2013, 11:13 AM
Westboro Baptist Church is planning to picket the Chesapeake Energy Arena tonight 6-8 p.m. because an NBA player came out recently. This is a great opportunity to give them a nice Oklahoma welcome. Thunder up :-)

Bellaboo
05-01-2013, 11:30 AM
I will chide them tonight as I walk by.......bunch of fruitcakes....

boitoirich
05-01-2013, 11:32 AM
Yes they are. It takes a special kind to protest children's and soldiers' funerals.

okcboomer
05-01-2013, 12:01 PM
Why do you want to feed the attention whores? Let them be, and they'll move on. Don't you see they want the attention?

boitoirich
05-01-2013, 12:11 PM
I actually doubt they will cause much trouble downtown. They have not had much success in Oklahoma because people have stood up to them here. My guess is that Thunder Alley will be more about celebrating a Thunder win tonight than being intimidated by WBC.

adaniel
05-01-2013, 12:16 PM
Why do you want to feed the attention whores? Let them be, and they'll move on. Don't you see they want the attention?

This. If people didn't even act they existed, they would go away.

I realize what they are saying is infuriating, but all WBC wants is to get a rise out of people. Why give them that satisfaction?

boitoirich
05-01-2013, 12:20 PM
No one is suggesting confrontation or counter protesting. I like what was said before about welcoming on the way to the arena. That's about all you can do anyway. They are well known for attempting to provoke attacks so that they can press charges, even when people approach to do nice things like offer coffee. So it is senseless to do much else but enjoy downtown tonight, and Thunder up. A quick one-liner before heading into the arena, if you're so inclined, would be enough.

venture
05-01-2013, 12:45 PM
Hmm. Chance of storms then. Maybe a well aimed hail stone will take care of it? ;)

boitoirich
05-01-2013, 01:00 PM
Hmm. Chance of storms then. Maybe a well aimed hail stone will take care of it? ;)

Now that's a nice Oklahoma welcome!

Midtowner
05-01-2013, 01:24 PM
No one is suggesting confrontation or counter protesting. I like what was said before about welcoming on the way to the arena. That's about all you can do anyway. They are well known for attempting to provoke attacks so that they can press charges, even when people approach to do nice things like offer coffee. So it is senseless to do much else but enjoy downtown tonight, and Thunder up. A quick one-liner before heading into the arena, if you're so inclined, would be enough.

If you were on a jury and someone was being prosecuted for doing something to one of these folks, would you ever, in a million years find 'em guilty?

boitoirich
05-01-2013, 01:35 PM
I absolutely would because we are governed by the rule of law in this country, and that trumps whatever I may feel about the content of their message.

Plutonic Panda
05-01-2013, 02:17 PM
These people have their right to their freedom of speech no matter what it is. Picketing funerals should stop or be required they are at least 1,000 ft. away. If they want to express their opinions, they every right to do so. Just because you don't agree with them, doesn't make them irrelevant. I HATE THESE PEOPLE, but they have a right to their opinion, plain and simple.

boitoirich
05-01-2013, 02:51 PM
Who said anything about silencing their freedom of speech, or making them irrelevant? Their right to free speech is constitutionally protected, and they are irrelevant by their own doing.

Plutonic Panda
05-01-2013, 02:59 PM
Did I say or imply that anyone tried to "silence" them? If so, that's not what I meant.

Also, them not being relevant, is your opinion. :)

Larry OKC
05-01-2013, 03:04 PM
Got to love it

Man Turns House Across the Street From Westboro Baptist Church Into Gay Pride Flag | TIME.com (http://newsfeed.time.com/2013/03/21/man-turns-house-across-the-street-from-westboro-baptist-church-into-gay-pride-flag/)

Stew
05-01-2013, 03:04 PM

So true. Just like on the internet if you want the trolls to go away you got to quit feeding them.

Eh, as for myself other people's opinions and rhetoric don't ever bother me. So long as you don't touch me or take my stuff I couldn't care less what dribble you spew.

boitoirich
05-01-2013, 04:00 PM
There's not much anyone can do to get the WBC to just go away. They are certainly looking for high-profile events going on where there are sure to be tons of cameras around to get exposure. Ignoring them is one option -- and in my opinion a better one than slashing their tires.

Not everyone will choose to ignore them, and some people will feel a need to respond with their visibility. This is also important because you have young people out there who feel that this hatred is directed at them, and do not have the ability to stand up for themselves. Seeing that there are people willing to have their back is more important than you can imagine.

To that end, the Cimarron Alliance has decided to counter protest on the SW corner of Reno & Robinson "with peaceful signs of love, acceptance, and equality."

I encourage everyone to handle WBC in own preferred way, as long as it does not involve provocation or violence.

Plutonic Panda
05-01-2013, 04:36 PM
BTW on a side note, is anyone glad to see protest in OKC? As long as it's civil and for good causes, I think it signifies that of a big city. Obviously, I don't want the Westboro here, but it's interesting to see the "peace" group protesting and I'm glad people are responding!!!!!

BTW Larry. . . GREAT ARTICLE MAN!!!!!!!!

SoonerBoy18
05-01-2013, 04:57 PM
In my honest opinion, I want to see the people leaving the arena, spit on them, break their windows, etc.

LocoAko
05-01-2013, 05:03 PM
BTW on a side note, is anyone glad to see protest in OKC? As long as it's civil and for good causes, I think it signifies that of a big city. Obviously, I don't want the Westboro here, but it's interesting to see the "peace" group protesting and I'm glad people are responding!!!!!

BTW Larry. . . GREAT ARTICLE MAN!!!!!!!!

Eh, maybe, but I've seen Westboro come to smaller cities, too (such as when they visited Rutgers back when I was there... New Brunswick has ~50,000 people).

Plutonic Panda
05-01-2013, 05:09 PM
Eh, maybe, but I've seen Westboro come to smaller cities, too (such as when they visited Rutgers back when I was there... New Brunswick has ~50,000 people).Yeah, I've heard of Westboro protest in MUCH MUCH smaller cities than OKC and I don't really care about them, I just think some protesting adds to the "scene" of city life. I don't know how to explain it that well haha. As long as the protesting stays civil though.

Snowman
05-01-2013, 05:44 PM
I had never realized they were that small an organization, man they have gotten a lot of attention for that few people. Given how almost any stupid idea can get at least hundreds or thousands of people to go along, they may be even more extreme than is publicized.

Plutonic Panda
05-01-2013, 05:45 PM
I had never realized they were that small an organization, man they have gotten a lot of attention for that few people. Given how almost any stupid idea can get at least hundreds or thousands of people to go along, they may be even more extreme than is publicized.Do you know how many are there? I might swing by there and check it out lol

Snowman
05-01-2013, 05:49 PM
Do you know how many are there? I might swing by there and check it out lol

I do not know how many are at the peake but there are apparently only around forty people who are members of the church

Plutonic Panda
05-01-2013, 05:52 PM
Wow, yeah I wouldn't imagine they would be very popular haha. I'm about to head down there now, so if you see someone driving a white 2004 F150 that's me! :)

bchris02
05-01-2013, 06:00 PM
Westboro protested the Lady Gaga concert in OKC back in 2010.

kevinpate
05-01-2013, 06:17 PM
I do not know how many are at the peake but there are apparently only around forty people who are members of the church

A seemingly much nicer family of faith over in Arkansas could probably surpass them in membership by 2038.

Easy180
05-01-2013, 06:50 PM
At least someone with the name beginning with Westb will be at the game tonight

Plutonic Panda
05-01-2013, 06:59 PM
Westboro protested the Lady Gaga concert in OKC back in 2010.Why???? lol

Mel
05-01-2013, 07:03 PM
Hail is to clean to strike them. I'd rather it be a big ol' chunk of blue ice.

boscorama
05-01-2013, 09:39 PM
Ugh, Ch4 began their 10 o'clock newscast on this. Way to go, "News"-4.

hoya
05-01-2013, 09:49 PM
Where's that gang member who shot people at the playoffs last year? Can't we let him out of jail for just one night?

ljbab728
05-01-2013, 10:04 PM
Ugh, Ch4 began their 10 o'clock newscast on this. Way to go, "News"-4.

Of course, we also could have never had a thread about this too. Way to go OKC Talk.

venture
05-01-2013, 10:44 PM
Hail is to clean to strike them. I'd rather it be a big ol' chunk of blue ice.

Well tried the hail thing, just didn't work out. ;)

Bellaboo
05-01-2013, 11:39 PM
I walked through the Cox, accross the street to the arena, and never saw them tonight.....

Snowman
05-02-2013, 07:49 AM
I walked through the Cox, accross the street to the arena, and never saw them tonight.....

From some of the photos people were posting on twitter mocking the protest, it looked like they were in the southeast corner of the Myriad Gardens

warreng88
05-02-2013, 08:22 AM
From some of the photos people were posting on twitter mocking the protest, it looked like they were in the southeast corner of the Myriad Gardens

We drove down Robinson around 8:15 pass the park and didn't see them there. They might have already been gone by that time.

Anonymous.
05-02-2013, 09:29 AM
via reddit/twitter/social media in general.

http://i.imgur.com/QCUr41e.jpg

hoya
05-02-2013, 01:21 PM

This is going on Facebook.

venture
05-02-2013, 02:17 PM
That's hilarious. Those poor children.

Plutonic Panda
05-02-2013, 03:22 PM
this is going on facebook.nice!!!!!!!!!

Another thing, why are they able to just tape off part of the sidewalk like that and stay there?

Larry OKC
05-02-2013, 03:27 PM
I imagine that was the restrictions placed on them by the City when the protest permit was issued, but that is just a guess.

Bunty
05-02-2013, 05:17 PM
Why???? lol

They must have hated one of Lady Gaga biggest hits called "I Was Born This Way".

soonerguru
05-02-2013, 07:10 PM

This guy is my new personal hero.

Plutonic Panda
05-02-2013, 08:47 PM
This guy is my new personal hero.Man, I wish I would've say that. I would love to walk up to them and be like "alright lets get this thing going" lol

Plutonic Panda
05-02-2013, 08:50 PM
They must have hated one of Lady Gaga biggest hits called "I Was Born This Way".What is wrong with these people. Is this what they do at their meetings?

"Ok, so anyone have any new protests we can do? No one has came out recently but I don't like lady gaga's song, lets protest it" Phelps "ok lets go".

2 years later. "HEY GUYS AFTER COUNTLESS HOURS ON THE INTERNET I FOUND AN NBA PLAYER IS GAY, LETS GET OUR SIGNS AND GO!!!!!!"

I mean really?????

venture
05-03-2013, 06:16 AM
I watched a documentary on them a few years back, they are definitely an odd branch. Phelps is full of anger and hate. He has everyone of his followers / family members believing they are going to hell for the most part unless they protest and tell everyone else they are doomed. I didn't have any intention of watching it, since I was just flipping through channels at the time, but its one of those train wreck situations. You are sitting there watching observing their actions and hearing their statements and about 30 minutes in I was wanting to start slapping some sense into a few of them.

It is a wonder if they will survive once old man Phelps bites the big one (he's getting up there), but unfortunately even some of the younger teens in the group are just as hateful. They are pretty much the closest thing we have right now to a modern day hate group in this country, but at least aren't following the path (as of yet) of the more tenured hate groups like the KKK, Black Panthers, and other supremacy groups. Sometimes you wonder if it is only a matter of time, but I think with the way equality is spreading the country they are becoming more and more irrelevant. Of course, does that mean we are just setting up for a "cornered cat" scenario where they will get desperate? Hopefully not.

bhawes
05-03-2013, 06:25 AM
The black panther did not go around murdering people or lynching people.

Bellaboo
05-03-2013, 07:17 AM
The black panther did not go around murdering people or lynching people.

You are correct, they sold drugs and extorted businesses in Oakland.

Bunty
05-03-2013, 11:06 AM
I watched a documentary on them a few years back, they are definitely an odd branch. Phelps is full of anger and hate. He has everyone of his followers / family members believing they are going to hell for the most part unless they protest and tell everyone else they are doomed. I didn't have any intention of watching it, since I was just flipping through channels at the time, but its one of those train wreck situations. You are sitting there watching observing their actions and hearing their statements and about 30 minutes in I was wanting to start slapping some sense into a few of them.

It is a wonder if they will survive once old man Phelps bites the big one (he's getting up there), but unfortunately even some of the younger teens in the group are just as hateful. They are pretty much the closest thing we have right now to a modern day hate group in this country, but at least aren't following the path (as of yet) of the more tenured hate groups like the KKK, Black Panthers, and other supremacy groups. Sometimes you wonder if it is only a matter of time, but I think with the way equality is spreading the country they are becoming more and more irrelevant. Of course, does that mean we are just setting up for a "cornered cat" scenario where they will get desperate? Hopefully not.

One of the members, not of the Phelps family, got kicked out. She's trying to make some money from time spent with them by writing a book called, "Banished - Surviving My Years in the Westboro Baptist Church."

kelroy55
05-03-2013, 11:41 AM
That picture is great

boscorama
05-03-2013, 06:22 PM
I watched a documentary on them a few years back, they are definitely an odd branch. Phelps is full of anger and hate. He has everyone of his followers / family members believing they are going to hell for the most part unless they protest and tell everyone else they are doomed. I didn't have any intention of watching it, since I was just flipping through channels at the time, but its one of those train wreck situations. You are sitting there watching observing their actions and hearing their statements and about 30 minutes in I was wanting to start slapping some sense into a few of

Ms Phelps, the daughter, is straight out of a horror movie.

RadicalModerate
05-03-2013, 07:11 PM
Of course, does that mean we are just setting up for a "cornered cat" scenario where they will get desperate? Hopefully not.

There is, of course, a sort of "eclectic koolaid acid test"
that some "cornered cats" might find to be
an acceptable alternative to . . .
the other alternative . . .
http://userserve-ak.last.fm/serve/_/74361028/The+Reverend+Jim+Jones++Jonestown+The+Peoples+Temp +Jim+Jones.jpg
Perhaps known in the history of the future as . . .
Phelpsburg?
Worstboro?

Dustin
05-03-2013, 07:18 PM
NSFW

Proud of my city!

http://images.ftw.usatoday.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/USP-NBA_-Playoffs-Houston-Rockets-at-Oklahoma-City.jpg

http://intentblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/original.jpg

http://intentblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/westboro-thunder-pics-10-400x400.jpg

http://intentblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/westboro-thunder-pics-3-550x320.jpg

http://www.thelostogle.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/westboro-thunder-pics-5.jpg

http://www.thelostogle.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/westboro-thunder-pics-9-400x400.jpg

Plutonic Panda
05-03-2013, 07:28 PM
That's awesome

Mississippi Blues
05-03-2013, 08:20 PM
That's pretty sweet.

HOT ROD
05-08-2013, 09:29 PM
the protests do give OKC more of that big city vibe. It is so rewarding to see protests in OKC that have both (or more) sides represented. Just think, it wasn't long ago when a 'protest' in OKC was one-sided and typically socially/morally conservative opinion (also see the OK state government). OKC has grown up and is diverse and more cosmopolitan and it is a pleasure to see!

soonerguru
05-08-2013, 10:20 PM
You guys should check out the video of the protest against ALEC this week. It was impressive. Made a lot of blogs around the country. People didn't expect 1,000 people to show up in OKC to protest their meeting here.

HOT ROD
05-09-2013, 10:57 AM
great point guru, and yet another event showcasing OKC's recent rise as a major urban city (vibe, public assembly/protest venue)!