View Full Version : Channel 4 and Cox Communications

RadicalModerate
04-30-2013, 01:43 PM
You, too, have probably seen the unpaid, staff produced ads (especially during the News Hours) about some deal--or non-deal--between Cox Comm and Channel 4. Apparently, if we don't all jump in and contact somebody or another Channel 4 will be gone from the Cox Comm lineup as of this coming Wednesday.

So what is the REAL deal here?

(just off the top of my head, the only thing about Channel 4 i would miss might be an occasional viewing of The Tonight Show . . . and maybe a Rant from that Ogle dude once in a while.)

Bunty
04-30-2013, 01:59 PM
IF it really happens, just hook your TV to an antenna to get Channel 4. Yeah, it will be an annoying bitch, though, to switch back and for from cable to air.

Larry OKC
04-30-2013, 02:01 PM
I agree, i rarely watch NBC anymore...given the dismal ratings of NBC (reportedly, one of the spanish language networks is pulling in higher ratings), channel 4 requesting a 300% rate increase does seem a bit unrealistic. Isn't there some sort of "most carry" rule, where the cable company is REQUIRED to carry all of the local stations???

foodiefan
04-30-2013, 02:02 PM
I vaguely remember this happening with another channel a couple years back. . .they came to an "agreement" and a couple months later, the cable rates went up. . .just another way to yank our chains!!

RadicalModerate
04-30-2013, 02:09 PM
I vaguely remember this happening with another channel a couple years back. . .they came to an "agreement" and a couple months later, the cable rates went up. . .just another way to yank our chains!!

Please do not confuse me with being one the aforementioned chainyankers. I am not.
I am simply a simple subscriber to CoxComm services--for a long, long, long time--and am just a little irate and confused enough already.
I had an honest question here and now my feelings are all hurt and everything . . . (yeah, right =)

Seriously: I don't get it. The propaganda from one side says something like CoxCom has to pay K4 a penny a day per subscriber or something like that. I realize that this involves an economy of scale but geez . . . are they going to haggle over a couple of mills next?

(what the heck is an antenna? is it something like a satellite dish? except more linear? like a coat hanger origami sculpture or sumpin'?)

Does the REAL deal have something to do with CoxComm not wanting to pay K4 even a penny a day?
(and if this is some sort of media pissing contest which player is the fire hydrant and which player is the dog?)

Tydude
04-30-2013, 03:30 PM
i am not even worried because usually the last minute they come up with a new deal

RadicalModerate
04-30-2013, 04:08 PM
As I implied, above, I am about as far from worried about not being able to view Channel 4 on CoxCom as it is possible to be. I'm simply curious about the logic (or lack thereof) regarding the current brou-ha-ha.

(edited to add: in the unpaid ads by the K4 staff they use the pitch, "Cox makes a lot of money from KFOR" . . . this only adds to my confusion and veracity discernment deficit. especially when it's the news and weather celebs making the pitch. =)

Now . . . In the interest of full disclosure . . . If PBS/OETA were involved it would be a different deal altogether . . . =)

BoulderSooner
04-30-2013, 06:05 PM
Things could all change very soon if Aereo wis their case Aereo?s ?Tiny Antennas? Strategy Wins in Court -- Daily Intelligencer (http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2013/04/aereos-tiny-antennas-strategy-wins-in-court.html)

positano
04-30-2013, 06:35 PM
If they get dropped we'll just chalk it up to Karma paying them back for that moronic Freedom 43 and the most annoying imbecile on the planet they have chosen to advertise it.

boscorama
04-30-2013, 07:11 PM
If they get dropped we'll just chalk it up to Karma paying them back for that moronic Freedom 43 and the most annoying imbecile on the planet they have chosen to advertise it.

Like.

catch22
04-30-2013, 08:08 PM
No. My Emily!!! :(

BBatesokc
04-30-2013, 08:22 PM
We actually watch NBC quite a bit - We watch their morning and evening news, The Voice, Grimm, Law & Order, Dateline, Smash, Apprentice, Biggest loser, and a few others.

However, on our TV you simply hit "input" to change to over-the-air broadcasting. So..... no biggie.

Tydude
04-30-2013, 08:37 PM
Breaking news: KFOR and Cox has reach an agreement

SOONER8693
04-30-2013, 09:05 PM
Breaking news: KFOR and Cox has reach an agreement
I'm shocked, NOT.

jn1780
04-30-2013, 10:08 PM
The agreement was to pass the cost onto the customer. Pretty much the same "last minute" deal that gets agreed upon in all these "negotiations"

BoulderSooner
05-01-2013, 07:16 AM
The agreement was to pass the cost onto the customer. Pretty much the same "last minute" deal that gets agreed upon in all these "negotiations"

so your cable company is going to have to pay more for content ... of course that is going to cause them to charge more ..

Of Sound Mind
05-01-2013, 07:45 AM
My question in all this is the same question I posed to KOCO management when this was going on with them a few years ago: Why should the cable company pay an over-the-air broadcast channel to carry something that is disseminated freely over the air, and for which the benefits of carriage on the cable network is significantly greater for the aforementioned broadcast channel than it is for the cable network?

I have not dog in this fight since I just switched from Cox Communications to AT&T's Uverse due to an unrelated issue in they refused to resolve, handing me over to their biggest competitor after being a loyal customer for 15 years. Based on my experience since, I came out on the better end of that ordeal, but I digress from the original discussion.

jn1780
05-01-2013, 08:35 AM
so your cable company is going to have to pay more for content ... of course that is going to cause them to charge more ..

Well not my cable company since I don't buy cable or have a dish. Unless of course, they they try to push the cost to their internet customers.

BoulderSooner
05-01-2013, 09:25 AM
Well not my cable company since I don't buy cable or have a dish. Unless of course, they they try to push the cost to their internet customers.

it is the same thing .. when the carriage agreement is up with Dish the same thing will occur with them ..

onthestrip
05-01-2013, 09:47 AM

Speaking of Freedom 43...I find it odd how they advertise during NBC's Today show to switch over to Freedom 43. Is that not some sort of conflict, and NBC affiliate advertising on NBC to change the channels..? Is the Freedom 43 show not a part of NBC at all?

TaoMaas
05-01-2013, 10:05 AM
Speaking of Freedom 43...I find it odd how they advertise during NBC's Today show to switch over to Freedom 43. Is that not some sort of conflict, and NBC affiliate advertising on NBC to change the channels..? Is the Freedom 43 show not a part of NBC at all?

Freedom 43 is a product of Ch. 4, not NBC. I'm guessing that NBC isn't aware that their affiliate is running promos asking people to switch off of the Today Show.

OKCTalker
05-01-2013, 10:25 AM
This may be a little appleish-orangeish, but I see parallels between what ended the music industry's historic business model, and what people don't like about television content today (that will lead to its end). The listener wanted to buy one song, but the industry forced them to buy an entire album. Listeners resorted to complicated, illegal means to download & listen to music. It took Apple to make it simple and legal, and people have since paid billions of dollars to them to legally download billions of songs.

Today, people want a few channels, but not the entire lineups offered by the providers (Lizard Lick Towing and Buck Wild - seriously?!). To get what we want we are forced to stream one show using one service through one device paying one price, and another show using another service through another device paying another price. Increasing numbers are doing it illegally. All are seeking an Apple-type solution. It's going to happen, but getting there is a nightmare.

okcboomer
05-01-2013, 12:03 PM

I know it sounds childish but I will never ever turn to 43 because of this.............. And due to the name, freedom 43, really?

Larry OKC
05-01-2013, 03:58 PM
Whats wrong with "Freedom 43"? Do you have something against the word Freedom? Maybe "OKCboomer 43" would be more to your liking? But don't tell Mr. Tramel over at the Oklahoman...LOL

ljbab728
05-01-2013, 08:45 PM
Whats wrong with "Freedom 43"? Do you have something against the word Freedom? Maybe "OKCboomer 43" would be more to your liking? But don't tell Mr. Tramel over at the Oklahoman...LOL

I don't have anything against Freedom but I just find it a little pretentious. There's nothing unusual about TV stations being pretentious though. Can you say "Oklahoma's News Channel 4 HD"? LOL

jn1780
05-01-2013, 09:52 PM
Its a good thing cox customers won't miss out on some award winning programming such as "The Turtle Test" brought to by News Channel 4.

"Do Oklahoma drivers run over turtles on purpose? Find out tomorrow at 10." LOL

boscorama
05-01-2013, 10:13 PM
Why not give us a week of Freedom 43 at 4, 5, 6 or 7 a.m., if we're missing something? There's no way I'm gonna turn to 43 at 7 when there's so much other stuff going on. Ch4 is my first choice but I'm not a moron!

ljbab728
05-01-2013, 10:29 PM
Why not give us a week of Freedom 43 at 4, 5, 6 or 7 a.m., if we're missing something? There's no way I'm gonna turn to 43 at 7 when there's so much other stuff going on. Ch4 is my first choice but I'm not a moron!

I agree. I watch the early KFOR show but they won't have any new news or weather on Freedom 43 that would make me want to go there instead of the Today Show.

MWCGuy
05-03-2013, 01:14 AM
Both sides were in a war on Facebook. I was shaking my head at the fact so many people were caught up in this little feud. At the end of the day you could watch KFOR with or without cox by using your antenna or on their web page video upload. The DVR customers would have been the only ones affected and it would have only been a minor inconvenience. They would have to watch their favorite shows OnDemand instead of by DVR.

As a backup I have an indoor antenna already to the coax connection in case of service interruption. The box is ran through HDMI.

Personally. I think it's just a matter if time before pay TV providers switch everything over to OnDemand. The only things that will be broadcast in a few years are real time news and sports if you care to see it real time. If you don't they will likely have a recording you can watch later. TV rates will probably switch to by the GB instead of Blythe channel. If you don't watch a lot of TV your rates will be cheap. If your couch potato then you can likely look forward to high bills with overage charges.

Tydude
05-03-2013, 12:05 PM
Freedom 43 news is a joke who watches it

TaoMaas
05-07-2013, 10:40 AM
I can't imagine Ch. 4 will be okay with not being on Cox. Their ad revenue would take a major hit if they're no longer shown on the state's largest cable network.

BBatesokc
05-07-2013, 05:42 PM
Its a good thing cox customers won't miss out on some award winning programming such as "The Turtle Test" brought to by News Channel 4.

"Do Oklahoma drivers run over turtles on purpose? Find out tomorrow at 10." LOL

I'm thinking if i put object in the roadway to video people's reactions that I would be arrested. How was this even legal?