View Full Version : Thunder ball boy is a idiot

MonkeesFan
04-28-2013, 05:54 AM
From the Houston Chronicle:

The vitriol about the play in which Thunder star Russell Westbrook was hurt has escalated to death threats directed at Rockets guard Patrick Beverley, including one from someone that describes himself as a Thunder ballboy.

Mitchell Brown sent a tweet that threatened, “Patrick Beverly (sic), I'm coming to kill you.” He sent another using Beverley's Twitter handle; “@pavbev21 I'm coming to kill you.”

Capt. Dexter Nelson, a spokesman for the Oklahoma City Police Department, said officers in conjunction with the Houston Police Department and the NBA are looking into what he described as “Internet threats.”

Thunder spokesperson Matt Tumbleson said, “We do not condone his comments. He works game nights on a voluntary basis. We will handle this matter internally.”

Shortly after Thunder officials were told of the tweets, Brown deleted them with an apology:

“Yesterday I posted something completely inappropriate and I need to apologize. I was out of line and it will not happen again.”

He later removed that tweet and instead said his account was hacked.

“@patbev21 yesterday someone tweeted on my account making a death threat towards you and it wasn't me. I apologize.”

First he apologizes for sending out a message he knows was inappropriate and then he claims he was hacked? *shakes head*

kevinpate
04-28-2013, 06:51 AM
Certainly wouldn't be the first young chap to do something stupid and make inconsistent statements afterwards.

MonkeesFan
04-28-2013, 08:05 AM
Certainly wouldn't be the first young chap to do something stupid and make inconsistent statements afterwards.

True!

bluedogok
04-28-2013, 10:15 AM
It just used to be that only the people around you heard you say something like that, now millions can "hear" what you are saying if you put it out online.

Anonymous.
04-29-2013, 09:42 AM
I had no idea those guys were volunteers...

Anonymous.
04-29-2013, 10:32 AM
Also I am not sure why people think someone guessing your password/secret question answer is considered "hacking". Something that has generated from kids in highschool accidentally leaving their facebook's logged in and someone posting something about pen!ses in their name.

http://global3.memecdn.com/hacker_o_161851.jpg

okcboomer
04-30-2013, 07:47 AM
Kid is OU fan I'm sure

OKCTalker
04-30-2013, 09:06 AM
Can't wait for The Lost Ogle to pick this one up.

Just the facts
04-30-2013, 11:18 AM
Seriously, Twitter should run a campaign showing all the times people have said they were hacked and put a big rubber stamp with "NOT HACKED" on it. They can tell if someone has been hacked very easily. Maybe if Twitter defended themselves more like that people would eventually start using it less and less and start taking responsibility for their actions.

Lol, no. Not likely I guess.

I was going to say - you answered your own question with that one.

dankrutka
04-30-2013, 08:45 PM
While this kid should know better, schools need to be teaching digital literacies so students learn to be more responsible and use social media positively. Instead of blocking internet sites (that students use anyway via mobile phones), schools need to open up networks and teach/model responsible use. I'm doing a lot of work in this area trying to drag our schools into the digital age.

Mississippi Blues
05-01-2013, 12:08 AM
While this kid should know better, schools need to be teaching digital literacies so students learn to be more responsible and use social media positively. Instead of blocking internet sites (that students use anyway via mobile phones), schools need to open up networks and teach/model responsible use. I'm doing a lot of work in this area trying to drag our schools into the digital age.

That's actually a great idea!!

td25er
05-01-2013, 11:36 AM
An idiot is somebody who doesn't know when to use "an".

okcboomer
05-01-2013, 11:57 AM
An idiot is somebody who doesn't know when to use "an".

Obviously a Texas fan. No doubt.

kevinpate
05-01-2013, 12:22 PM

Teaching a youth to be personally responsible for his/her actions is not the responsibility of the school system. It is the responsibility of the parent(s) or other legal guardian.

OKCTalker
05-01-2013, 12:45 PM

You are saying that schools should teach responsibility while removing limitations on Internet access? Have you lost your mind!? When the parents haven't taught their children to respect authority at home, then a teacher doesn't stand a chance. Teachers have a hard enough time teaching basic concepts to these kids already - and you're going to impose on these teachers the obligation to instill character?

I don't know what "digital literacy" is, but I do know that Internet access begins at home (when mom & dad open a browser and buy them a cellphone), and that is where the kids should be taught restraint and responsibility.

jn1780
05-01-2013, 01:10 PM

There's no reason for students to be on these sites at school, PERIOD. So I don't know what kind of responsibility your trying to teach letting them use something that their not suppose to be doing at school anyway. Thats teaching them the exact opposite of what you want them to teach.

Plus, I believe students know what social media is all about. To them the "benefits" outweigh the consequences. Its like drugs only there less pictures of sick and nasty looking people to show them.

dankrutka
05-01-2013, 01:12 PM
You are saying that schools should teach responsibility while removing limitations on Internet access? Have you lost your mind!? When the parents haven't taught their children to respect authority at home, then a teacher doesn't stand a chance. Teachers have a hard enough time teaching basic concepts to these kids already - and you're going to impose on these teachers the obligation to instill character?

I don't know what "digital literacy" is, but I do know that Internet access begins at home (when mom & dad open a browser and buy them a cellphone), and that is where the kids should be taught restraint and responsibility.

Schools across the country and world are doing this with incredible success. Oklahoma schools seem to place far more filters (which BTW students get around anyway) than many other states. I've worked with districts with open policies and there are not significantly more problems. All blocking the internet does is hide from issues and, in many cases, block internet sites that are educational. We are moving more and more towards an open-source culture and schools that limit students' growth in this area are not educating for today and tomorrow's world. We should afford students opportunities to use online sites and tools to grow their skills for a workplace and democracy that values those who are tech savvy. So, no, I have not lost my mind. My opinion is informed by my work in education and my research on the topic.

dankrutka
05-01-2013, 01:19 PM
There's no reason for students to be on these sites at school, PERIOD. So I don't know what kind of responsibility your trying to teach letting them use something that their not suppose to be doing at school anyway. Thats teaching them the exact opposite of what you want them to teach.

Plus, I believe students know what social media is all about. To them the "benefits" outweigh the consequences. Its like drugs only there less pictures of sick and nasty looking people to show them.

Students should learn to use social media like Twitter productively. Social media affords many benefits from enhancing participatory culture to collective intelligence through crowdsourcing. Students know how to use social media, but not in productive ways. They have to learn how to manage their attention, assess the validity of sources, etc. All these things are accomplished through guidance. So, students do not know what social media is all about. Many use it for wasteful purposes. I work with teachers to connect classes through Twitter with other classes on the other side of the world to discuss global issues. Students need teachers to guide them to meaningful experiences just like in other areas.

If you'd like to learn more about what's being done in these areas then I suggest you read a book that discusses digital literacies (http://www.amazon.com/Net-Smart-How-Thrive-Online/dp/0262017458)or read this article that explains why students need help navigating the digital world (http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/guest-blog/2012/08/28/being-a-digital-native-isnt-enough/).

GaryOKC6
05-01-2013, 01:21 PM
My teenager texts me during class all the time. I guess the teachers think nothing of it. Either that or she is very good at hiding the fact that she is texting.

MonkeesFan
05-01-2013, 01:31 PM
Obviously a Texas fan. No doubt.

Uhh no, I graduated from OU last year and **** Texas!

okcboomer
05-02-2013, 05:59 AM
Lol. You know I was just kidding.

MonkeesFan
05-02-2013, 12:28 PM
Lol. You know I was just kidding.

Haha