Opened Oct. 23, 1980
General Growth
architect=William Pereira
sq. feet= 1,128,000
http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/qswiki1.jpg
Information & Latest News
Fall of 2014: Von Maur to open
1999/2000: Major renovation, added AMC 24-screen theater
10/23/80: Opened for business, with Sears, JC Penney, John A Brown and Dillards's as anchors
4/1/78: Construction starts
10/1/77: Official announcement of mall
9/8/72: Concept announced for first time
Links
Official Site (http://www.quailspringsmall.com/)
County Assessor Record
Gallery

Plutonic Panda
04-28-2013, 04:16 AM
One thing they should do is add multi level parking similar to Stonebriar in Frisco, TX. That would help parking a lot on big nights. Also, does anyone know when those outer areas along the mall are going to be developed?

MonkeesFan
04-28-2013, 05:30 AM
Yeah I like Quail Springs mall too, I have to say Quail Springs Mall is the 3rd best mall in Oklahoma

1. Woodland Hills Mall
2. Penn Square Mall
3. Quail Springs Mall

Unfortanely, I do not go to Quail Springs mall often because it is 30 minutes away from me :(

SomeGuy
04-28-2013, 08:13 AM
One of my favorite places to eat there has to be Cinnamonster, they have the best cinnamon rolls ever. I go to QS nowadays for the AMC theater simply because it's big and the 3d moviws. Didn't QS have some sort of retro store where Subway is now?

OKCisOK4me
04-28-2013, 10:32 AM
Of note to the OP, you put in parenthesis (food court and theater). Previous to the renovations there was no theater. Only the General Cinema theater to the west of the mall which is now and has been a furniture store for quite some time and the old AMC that was east of the mall. I do remember the old food court with its ugly brown tiled multilevel floors and walls and fake jungle looking plants within the terraces. I miss the reddish orange piece of artwork that was out in front of the mall where the movie theater sits now. They should have kept that and moved it to somewhere else in the city!

Debzkidz
04-28-2013, 10:43 AM
I'm not a big fan of Quail Springs. I do go there occasionally, but even living in Edmond, when I think of going to a mall, I automatically think of Penn Square. I hate the Macy's and Dillard's there. Neither is nearly as nice as the stores in Penn Square. I personally do not like going to Quail Springs after dark. We go there occasionally for a movie, and at night, most of the parking lot lights do not work/are not turned on. I hate having to walk across a big dark parking lot, between cars, at night. It may not be any less safe than any other theater in town, but I don't want to walk across any dark parking lot.

oki
04-28-2013, 04:19 PM
Yeah I like Quail Springs mall too, I have to say Quail Springs Mall is the 3rd best mall in Oklahoma

1. Woodland Hills Mall
2. Penn Square Mall
3. Quail Springs Mall

Unfortanely, I do not go to Quail Springs mall often because it is 30 minutes away from me :(

3rd best? Bah. The best. :D

I don't think I've been to Woodland Hills Mall. Is that in Tulsa, or is that the Midwest City mall?

oki
04-28-2013, 04:23 PM
One of my favorite places to eat there has to be Cinnamonster, they have the best cinnamon rolls ever. I go to QS nowadays for the AMC theater simply because it's big and the 3d moviws. Didn't QS have some sort of retro store where Subway is now?

Cinnamonster is really good. And Auntie Ann's.

Hmm... I don't remember a retro store there, but there could've been. It does kind of seem like there was some kind of novelty shop a little retro-ish a long time ago. Would that have been more than 5 years ago?

At one point it seems like there was a $10/cheap jewelry store around that area... around 2001 or 2002. I can't remember the name of it.

What happened to Sonic? That seemed to be popular. Kind of a good theme with the drive-in car tables too.

SomeGuy
04-28-2013, 05:56 PM
Cinnamonster is really good. And Auntie Ann's.

Hmm... I don't remember a retro store there, but there could've been. It does kind of seem like there was some kind of novelty shop a little retro-ish a long time ago. Would that have been more than 5 years ago?

At one point it seems like there was a $10/cheap jewelry store around that area... around 2001 or 2002. I can't remember the name of it.

What happened to Sonic? That seemed to be popular. Kind of a good theme with the drive-in car tables too.

Sonic left QS about a year or two ago, it's now a Burger King which is a real odd choice to be in a mall.

Soonerman
04-28-2013, 06:19 PM
Sonic left QS about a year or two ago, it's now a Burger King which is a real odd choice to be in a mall.

Taco Bell is no longer there either.

RadicalModerate
04-28-2013, 06:37 PM
If that Gyro place goes away there is no reason whatsoever to visit Quail Springs Mall. =)

progressiveboy
04-28-2013, 08:27 PM
Never have been impressed with QSM. It's location is great but the mix of stores there are nothing special. Their marketing mix is boring. This mall should have a Restoration Hardware, Banana Republic, Crate and Barrel etc..... Their Macy"s and Dillard's are very dated. I live very near Stonebriar Mall in Frisco and it has an ice skating rink, California Pizza Kitchen, Dave and Busters, Tin Star Taco, Paradise Bakery. QSM can use some of these businesses.

CuatrodeMayo
04-28-2013, 09:28 PM
I hear ad nauseam how "trendy" the Paseo, Midtown, Bricktown, blah blah blah are with all that they offer. I hear over and over about the trendy cafes and restaurants. But, NW OKC/Edmond offers some things itself. We have some good restaurants, even some new ones. (Keyword: some). Louie's Bar and Grill, Nhijha Sushi, China House, Johnny Carino's (not new, but good), Mahoghany Steakhouse, IHOP, Fazolli's, Chick-Fil-A, BJ's Brewhouse, and plenty of others.

Is this a serious post? Or am I getting my chain yanked?

Mississippi Blues
04-28-2013, 09:47 PM
Is this a serious post? Or am I getting my chain yanked?

I sure hope it's not serious.

Btw, Penn Square Mall is the best mall in OKC.

Steve
04-28-2013, 09:57 PM
I love this thread - it adds balance to the discussions of our city. Seriously. We need more suburban voices like this. It's ok, urbanistas. Seriously. This won't kill you.

Mississippi Blues
04-28-2013, 10:04 PM
I love this thread - it adds balance to the discussions of our city. Seriously. We need more suburban voices like this. It's ok, urbanistas. Seriously. This won't kill you.

I actually had this in my post but deleted it. You never hear much of the suburban POV & oki has that view. Despite how much people are against suburbs today, I think suburbs are an important part of any city. The biggest, nicest cities in America usually have good - great suburbs along with an active, vibrant downtown.

oki
04-28-2013, 11:22 PM
I actually had this in my post but deleted it. You never hear much of the suburban POV & oki has that view. Despite how much people are against suburbs today, I think suburbs are an important part of any city. The biggest, nicest cities in America usually have good - great suburbs along with an active, vibrant downtown.

This. How do I LIKE your post? :D

The city and suburbs both have their role in any metro area. The suburbs in particular are a hub for young families with kids and retirees. While there are things to do in Bricktown, there are also plenty of great restaurants and shops in the suburbs that cater more towards certain groups-- especially families. In the past year or two I've heard so much about the Paseo, Bricktown, Midtown, etc. that I'm sick of hearing about how "great" there are when the suburbs also have some nice restaurants, stores, activities, libraries, etc. of their own that seem to get too overlooked. So, Quail Springs doesn't have a convention center, nightclubs, or really museums to speak of. But, we do have an excellent quality of life that's easy, safe, quiet, and convenient. We have the mall, Martin Nature Park, Lake Hefner, grocery stores, and more nearby. There's an ice skating place, bowling alley, roller skating alley, movie theaters, and dog park within 5-10 minutes. I don't know many Oklahoma families with very young kids that would want to live in a 1-2 bedroom pricey high-rise in Bricktown with all of the negative things urban living brings (traffic, congestion, safety issues, parking issues, high rents, not so good schools, noise, etc.). There are certainly many good, fun things about urban living and offerings also, but suburbs have an excellent quality of life: lower cost of living, less traffic, nice newer homes, larger houses, better schools, convenience, easy parking, yards and trees and pools, being a few minutes from work/school by car, quieter, much safer for kids and safer for adults, quiet, more nature and trees, etc.

And, yes, folks, I've lived in some of the largest urban cities there are. They had some perks, but... Far NW OKC/Quail Springs has the quality of life and convenience I want. While some of urban OKC's growth intrigues me, especially Central Park OKC, the very things I like about OKC are already here: affordable nice newer housing, quality of life, jobs, easy lifestyle, less traffic, quiet, trees/land and lake nearby, and anywhere I need to go on a regular basis within a 5 minute drive. Grocery store, mall, movies, work, lake,... 5 minute drive without excessive traffic away. Plus, easy enough parking when I arrive. 5 minutes to anything I go to often.

oki
04-28-2013, 11:26 PM

Haha, LIKE. (Yeah, I don't know how to "like" posts.) Great way to put it... funny, too. Can I be a suburbanista? :D

Everything I like about Oklahoma is what it already is: safe, quiet, affordable nice newer housing, restaurants and shopping nearby, easy commute, tolerable schools, retail stores, and basically everything we go to often within an easy 5 minute drive. Plus, easy parking when we get there. Try that in an urban city. Walking with toddlers down the urban streets to get groceries? No thank you. Give me my suburbs any day where everything is a short, quick drive that's relatively hassle free. Plus, it's safe out here. And, clean.

I say all of this having lived in several of the country's largest urban areas before in TINY high-rise and mid-rise downtown apartments.

Plutonic Panda
04-28-2013, 11:57 PM
I actually had this in my post but deleted it. You never hear much of the suburban POV & oki has that view. Despite how much people are against suburbs today, I think suburbs are an important part of any city. The biggest, nicest cities in America usually have good - great suburbs along with an active, vibrant downtown.I've only heard negative things about suburbs on the internet, but I agree with everything else you've said.

MonkeesFan
04-29-2013, 01:14 AM
3rd best? Bah. The best. :D

I don't think I've been to Woodland Hills Mall. Is that in Tulsa, or is that the Midwest City mall?

It is in Tulsa, if you have never been to Woodland Hills, you should go, it is almost like Quail Springs mall

Heritage Park is the Midwest City Mall which I also liked, it is a shame Heritage Park Mall shut down, I would have put Heritage Park Mall in 4th place

stlokc
04-29-2013, 01:24 AM
I have to admit, when I clicked on this thread, my first thought was "Is this person for real, or is this some kind of practical joke thread?" As I've thought about it, there is a point to be made, which is that in the grand scheme of things, this poster probably represents 90% of the population of America. I mean, even with all the fantastic things happening downtown, suburban growth is still happening exponentially fast.

The reason OKC Talk is so popular is that it highlights a collection of thoughts and interests that until the last 20 years or so didn't have much of an outlet at all in OKC. If people are overly urban-centric here, it's because and in reaction to the fact that everything else you see is so suburban-centric. ("there's a Mother's Day and a Father's Day, why isn't there a Children's Day? Because EVERY day is Children's Day.")

stlokc
04-29-2013, 01:31 AM
I'll also say this. I grew up in south Edmond. My parents live in Quail Creek. I've eaten at every chain restaurant on Memorial Road. I see value in the suburbs and I want NW OKC to grow and grow well. It's part of being a complete city. I just want it to grow with a little more dignity - more sustainable architecture, better landscaping, a little (or a lot) more thought. If all of Memorial Road looked like Spring Creek in Edmond, for example. The people that live and work on places like Memorial Road should want that as well. By all means, enjoy (as I often have) the chain restaurants and shops. There are ways to build on new green fields that don't look so haphazard. That's all.

Rover
04-29-2013, 07:09 AM
There are good and bad restaurants on Memorial. There are locally owned and also chain restaurants on Memorial and throughout the Metro. There will be more chains downtown as the population grows. I don't know why this has become an issue to try to prove some sort of superiority or inferiority.

Mississippi Blues
04-29-2013, 09:48 AM
I've only heard negative things about suburbs on the internet

That's what I was alluding to. I talk to people a lot more on the internet about the suburbs than I do people in person.

SomeGuy
04-29-2013, 10:27 AM
I wish Von Maur would come during December of 2013. A lot can happen from now to spring 2014, from what I've heard JCP is closing a lot of stores this year

Plutonic Panda
04-29-2013, 10:33 AM
That's what I was alluding to. I talk to people a lot more on the internet about the suburbs than I do people in person.Oh, my bad. I also didn't mean to sound like I've never heard ANYTHING bad about suburbs in person, it just happens A LOT more on this board as well as citydata lol.

Plutonic Panda
04-29-2013, 10:37 AM
I wish Von Maur would come during December of 2013. A lot can happen from now to spring 2014, from what I've heard JCP is closing a lot of stores this yearWas it holiday 2014 they were shooting for? I agree that's a little odd for it to take that long and I won't be satisfied and secure about it until it is 90% done. Also, have they started renovations and if so, does anyone have any insight on to why it is going to take as long as it is????? TOO MANY QUESTIONS lol

bchris02
04-29-2013, 10:57 AM
I've only heard negative things about suburbs on the internet, but I agree with everything else you've said.

Internet forum posters tend to be young, single, intellectually-minded people who are more likely to be anti-suburbia than the population at large. I've noticed heavy anti-suburb bias here and even moreso on City-Data, but part of being a great city is being well-balanced. That means having a great inner-core as well as attractive suburbs. I do however agree with the poster above in that I wish suburbia would grow with more dignity than has been the norm in OKC.

As for Quail Springs, it is definitely showing early signs of decline but nothing that can't be reversed at this time. Quail Springs now is similar to mid-1990s Crossroads.

Rom
04-29-2013, 11:33 AM
QSM has quickly turned into a trashy mall. My wife and kids do not feel safe there at night especially on weekends.
It has turned into a low rent mall and hate to think what this mall will look like in 5 years. Best thing tha mall could do is raise the rent and get rid of the crummy stores that have populated that mall.

SomeGuy
04-29-2013, 11:59 AM
QSM has quickly turned into a trashy mall. My wife and kids do not feel safe there at night especially on weekends.
It has turned into a low rent mall and hate to think what this mall will look like in 5 years. Best thing tha mall could do is raise the rent and get rid of the crummy stores that have populated that mall.

Honestly I feel more safe there than PS IMO. PS is always on the news for car break ins and attackers in parking lots

bchris02
04-29-2013, 12:03 PM

The problem is mid-level tenants like Abercrombie & Fitch have left the mall and have been replaced by low-class mom & pop stores like Image. It also doesn't help that the mall is only a mile from the apartment complexes at 122nd and Penn, which are among the worst in the entire metro area. If I was GGP I would look at a possible remodel and rebranding of the mall to coincide with the opening of Von Maur in late 2014. With that, recruit some higher quality tenants and give the trash ones the boot. There is still time to make it happen but it something isn't done within the next five years, we could be looking at another Crossroads.

Teo9969
04-29-2013, 12:11 PM
Quail Springs looks nothing like Crossroads ever has, if for nothing else than because of what surrounds QS that is sure to keep it afloat. Crossroads would be in much better shape today if it had been located on NW Expressway/MacArthur rather than 35/240.

Memorial has its issues, but it's "business district" suburbia done pretty well. Memorial definitely continues to be a burgeoning area of OKC. It would just be great if somehow as Memorial continues to grow, that that money can be invested back into the residential areas immediately surrounding the area, rather than pushing even further north before the area can reasonably maintain it.

SomeGuy
04-29-2013, 12:12 PM
The problem is mid-level tenants like Abercrombie & Fitch have left the mall and have been replaced by low-class mom & pop stores like Image. It also doesn't help that the mall is only a mile from the apartment complexes at 122nd and Penn, which are among the worst in the entire metro area. If I was GGP I would look at a possible remodel and rebranding of the mall to coincide with the opening of Von Maur in late 2014. With that, recruit some higher quality tenants and give the trash ones the boot. There is still time to make it happen but it something isn't done within the next five years, we could be looking at another Crossroads.

GGP should just sell the mall to Simon to help turn QSM around. Some stores could use a fresh makeover, (I'm looking directly at you Dillards,) while 40% of the stores in the mall need to go and be replaced with high end stores ( get rid of IMAGE, that massage place in the old Gamestop, the sport place next to sears and whatever other low class stores I forgot)

bchris02
04-29-2013, 12:26 PM
I also wonder what effect the new Outlet mall is having on Quail Springs. I remember reading here years ago that OKC has never been able to support three successful super-regional centers all at once. Quail Springs has struggled before...in Crossroads' heyday.

soonerguru
04-29-2013, 12:55 PM
Quail Springs looks nothing like Crossroads ever has, if for nothing else than because of what surrounds QS that is sure to keep it afloat. Crossroads would be in much better shape today if it had been located on NW Expressway/MacArthur rather than 35/240.

Memorial has its issues, but it's "business district" suburbia done pretty well. Memorial definitely continues to be a burgeoning area of OKC. It would just be great if somehow as Memorial continues to grow, that that money can be invested back into the residential areas immediately surrounding the area, rather than pushing even further north before the area can reasonably maintain it.

How is it "burgeoning?" I see it as largely the same as its been for several years with a few more vacancies.

Teo9969
04-29-2013, 02:31 PM
Paycom, Farmer's Insurance, general growth in offices in and around the area, hotels, sundry shops opening along the road (many in new buildings), medical facilities, etc.

I mean, most of this is the past 5 years. Not necessarily brand spankin' new, but definitely still moving forward. Certain areas of it are not doing as well as they once were...But the Deep Deuce apartments are outdated as well...Not everything is always going to operate at an optimal level. Overall, Memorial isn't struggling nor does it seem likely to struggle over the next 10 years. They just need to make sure that rather than strive entirely for profit, that these companies reinvest in their infrastructure. The growth may or may not slow, but I bet that depends largely on how fast Mercy, the medical field in general, and the small businesses in the area continue to grow.

Plutonic Panda
04-29-2013, 02:36 PM
Internet forum posters tend to be young, single, intellectually-minded people who are more likely to be anti-suburbia than the population at large. I've noticed heavy anti-suburb bias here and even moreso on City-Data, but part of being a great city is being well-balanced. That means having a great inner-core as well as attractive suburbs. I do however agree with the poster above in that I wish suburbia would grow with more dignity than has been the norm in OKC.

As for Quail Springs, it is definitely showing early signs of decline but nothing that can't be reversed at this time. Quail Springs now is similar to mid-1990s Crossroads.Couldn't agree more!

Mississippi Blues
04-29-2013, 02:50 PM
Oh, my bad. I also didn't mean to sound like I've never heard ANYTHING bad about suburbs in person, it just happens A LOT more on this board as well as citydata lol.

No worries my main man. Was just clarifying. :) but you are correct, a lot more negativity is said about suburbs on OKCTalk & City-Data.

MadMonk
04-29-2013, 02:52 PM
I like QSM. I guess because I've been going there so long and I'm comfortable with it - especially since the theater was put in and the remodel.

I'd rank it as
1. QSM - Big, roomy, comfortable and safe. Decent selection of shops. I've never had any problems finding parking. Avoid the Penn-Memorial intersection though.

2. The new outlet mall on I-40 - Nice place to shop on good-weather days. May eventually have a problem with the transients that travel along 1-40. I've already had someone come up and ask for money "for gas to get home".

3. Penn Square mall - Meh. Overly crowded, not enough parking, nothing special in the mall that would encourage me to brave the traffic hassles around that entire area.

MonkeesFan
04-29-2013, 03:30 PM
I like QSM. I guess because I've been going there so long and I'm comfortable with it - especially since the theater was put in and the remodel.

I'd rank it as
1. QSM - Big, roomy, comfortable and safe. Decent selection of shops. I've never had any problems finding parking. Avoid the Penn-Memorial intersection though.

2. The new outlet mall on I-40 - Nice place to shop on good-weather days. May eventually have a problem with the transients that travel along 1-40. I've already had someone come up and ask for money "for gas to get home".

3. Penn Square mall - Meh. Overly crowded, not enough parking, nothing special in the mall that would encourage me to brave the traffic hassles around that entire area.

I agree

adaniel
04-29-2013, 05:02 PM
Sorry, but there is a reason that Penn Square has a waiting list and can jack its rent while Quail cannot. Penn has far more potential given its location and nearby demographics. You also have semi upscale options close by like 50 Penn, Classen Curve, Nichols Hills Plaza (whatever's left of it) and more "mid range" options like Belle Isle and all the big box stuff at roughly Northwest Expressway and May. I think that whole area could be something really nice in the next few years.

Quail? Hmmmm, I'm not sure what to think about it. It's not a bad mall, just seems very "low rent" especially given the rather favorable demographics. Memorial Road is okay, but it does not have the same level of shops and eateries that the Penn area does. I doubt it will ever go into a Crossroads-like slide, but should Edmond ever develop a lifestyle center or something similar (those have just about run their course, but it could happen), I could see Quail Springs really start hurting.

FWIW I don't find Penn to be any more crowded than any other mall I've been to in much larger cities. There is always plenty of parking in the back and parking garage.

jn1780
04-29-2013, 05:17 PM
Sorry, but there is a reason that Penn Square has a waiting list and can jack its rent while Quail cannot. Penn has far more potential given its location and nearby demographics. You also have semi upscale options close by like 50 Penn, Classen Curve, Nichols Hills Plaza (whatever's left of it) and more "mid range" options like Belle Isle and all the big box stuff at roughly Northwest Expressway and May. I think that whole area could be something really nice in the next few years.

Quail? Hmmmm, I'm not sure what to think about it. It's not a bad mall, just seems very "low rent" especially given the rather favorable demographics. Memorial Road is okay, but it does not have the same level of shops and eateries that the Penn area does. I doubt it will ever go into a Crossroads-like slide, but should Edmond ever develop a lifestyle center or something similar (those have just about run their course, but it could happen), I could see Quail Springs really start hurting.

FWIW I don't find Penn to be any more crowded than any other mall I've been to in much larger cities. There is always plenty of parking in the back and parking garage.

I was about to respond with something similar. Not every mall in the city can be a high class mall. But, Quail Springs needs to stabilize at some point at a healthy medium.

boscorama
04-29-2013, 07:17 PM
Due to various constraints, QSM is my mall. As someone mentioned, avoid Penn/Memorial intersection, which I do. One thing I like is the many ways to approach the mall, and parking has never been an issue with me (I go during daytime). In contrast, Penn Square parking sux!

About once a year I make it to Penn Square, most recently just a few weeks ago. I was amazed at what a superior place it is once you get inside. It is so bright, clean looking (not that QS ever looked dirty to me). Man, there are so many stores I've been missing out on! I don't care about Pottery Barn but was startled to learn QS doesn't have one. There is no Coldwater Springs, Chico's, or even a (kitchen store), either.

Hallmark is gone? What? When?

Dillards and Foleys (I mean Macy's) are the only reason I go to the mall, anyway, certainly not for a fast food court. I miss Garfields. Wilson's Leather is gone, too (waaahhhh).

I'm neither a mall rat nor "upscale" shopper, so I'll just continue on ...

MadMonk
04-29-2013, 07:35 PM
Well, I've never had to park across the street from a mall until I went to Penn Square one year during the holidays a few years ago. I haven't been back since. That and the traffic hassle of that area isn't worth it to me. Of course of the three, it's the farthest away from my home as well, so that plays a big factor as well.

bchris02
04-29-2013, 08:45 PM
I was about to respond with something similar. Not every mall in the city can be a high class mall. But, Quail Springs needs to stabilize at some point at a healthy medium.

Today, its difficult for a mall to survive unless they go upscale. The stores that used to fill "family" oriented malls like Quail Springs have gone the way of the dodo. They have either been replaced by big box stores, online shopping, or changing trends (A&F and the ilk). Oklahoma City is an underserved retail market. Developers don't realize this but I think anything Tulsa can support OKC can also support and then some. Penn Square isn't large enough for everything so Quail Springs should go upmarket and try to recruit retailers that aren't able to get into Penn. People also need to remember that Penn is pretty much the mall for Edmond and the fast-growing Deer Creek area, a perfect demographic for upscale retail.

Stew
04-29-2013, 09:01 PM

I'd rank it as

Spot-on.

Teo9969
04-30-2013, 12:04 AM
QSM has very favorable demographics to go upscale and the probably ought to. Wouldn't be surprised if they could support some of the higher end stores up there like Neiman Marcus. And I hate to say this, but honestly, the type of people who would chase the really high-end (clothing) retailers seem more likely to live in that area of town as opposed to Nichols Hills/Crown Heights and the other neighborhoods. A lot more "new" money in the Memorial area.

bchris02
04-30-2013, 06:05 AM
QSM has very favorable demographics to go upscale and the probably ought to. Wouldn't be surprised if they could support some of the higher end stores up there like Neiman Marcus. And I hate to say this, but honestly, the type of people who would chase the really high-end (clothing) retailers seem more likely to live in that area of town as opposed to Nichols Hills/Crown Heights and the other neighborhoods. A lot more "new" money in the Memorial area.

Completely agree. Quail Springs needs to go upscale or it will become irrelevant. Such is the trend not just in OKC but all across the country. The middle and lower-middle class aren't shopping the malls like they did in the '80s and '90s.

onthestrip
04-30-2013, 08:54 AM
This thread is pretty interesting, and by that I mean funny. Its funny that people have rated Penn Square as the citys 3rd best mall. I know personal preferences and opinions are different but to say Quail is better than Penn is laughable. And maybe Im going to Penn at off peak times but Ive never had an issue with parking (try the north side). As for the crowds at Penn..? Again, never really seemed overly crowded when I go, but it is a shopping mall so Im not surprised when there is a crowd. And wouldnt that be the sign that it is the more popular mall, if there are crowds there?

But there is really no comparison in the quality of shopping between the two. Hell, Id say the outlet mall has a higher quality of shops than Quail.

jbrown84
04-30-2013, 11:48 AM
This thread is pretty interesting, and by that I mean funny. Its funny that people have rated Penn Square as the citys 3rd best mall. I know personal preferences and opinions are different but to say Quail is better than Penn is laughable. And maybe Im going to Penn at off peak times but Ive never had an issue with parking (try the north side). As for the crowds at Penn..? Again, never really seemed overly crowded when I go, but it is a shopping mall so Im not surprised when there is a crowd. And wouldnt that be the sign that it is the more popular mall, if there are crowds there?

But there is really no comparison in the quality of shopping between the two. Hell, Id say the outlet mall has a higher quality of shops than Quail.

Everything he said!

MadMonk
04-30-2013, 12:20 PM
Everyone has different factors that are more important to them than others. I have no problems with the selection of stores at PSM, but I put less of an emphasis on "upscale" stores than I do a clean, safe, hassle-free experience. Even if it is third-best, I'm not saying it's a bad mall.

Onthestrip, jbrown, I'm curious - what shops that you consider upscale does PSM have that QSM or the Outlet Shoppes mall does not? What are the differentiating shops for you? What would you say might be worth going out of my way to go to that mall?

BoomerSooner06
04-30-2013, 02:37 PM
Vera Bradley, Pottery Barn, William-Sonoma, Fossil, J Crew, Michael Kors, Coach, Banana Republic, and Apple are just a few retailers that I can think of off the top of my head with locations at Penn and not at Quail. I wouldn't say that I personally view all of these as "upscale" but I would say that the market in general does.

No matter your personal shopping preference, you can't argue that Penn is the location of choice for retailers looking to enter the OKC market.

blink
04-30-2013, 10:25 PM
Compare the Macy's between Quail and Penn. That should tell you enough. I went into the Quail Macy's to try and get something that was out of stock at the Penn one and was amazed at the low quality of the store. Somebody tear out that horrible green carpet (or is that in Dillard's?).

Like others, I don't understand the people having parking issues at Penn. Holiday parking is terrible anywhere. Any other time of the year, I've never had a problem parking at Penn. Try the north side of the mall like someone said.

I think those that like Quail very much make a good point, in that it does fill some sort of niche. I think a lot of people just have visions of malls like NorthPark in Dallas or Stonebriar in Frisco. That being said, I do think Quail is going downhill with all of the low end places it has added in the last 5 years. If Edmond ever builds a mall at I-35/Covell, Quail will probably end up like Crossroads.

oki
05-03-2013, 11:32 PM
Honestly I feel more safe there than PS IMO. PS is always on the news for car break ins and attackers in parking lots

This.

PS might have some pricier stores... but it also has some, um, "less classy" people in a "less classy" part of town. They do have more car break-ins. QS statistically is still much safer. I've never felt uncomfortable at QS, but I sometimes do at PS.

oki
05-03-2013, 11:34 PM

For sure. The area around QS, aside from a few ghetto apartment complexes, are nice suburban houses. Come on people, less than a mile away you've got $750,000 to million dollar homes in Esperanza. Fairfiew Farms is nearby. There are plenty of nice neighborhoods around in the at least $200,000 and up range. Crossroads never had that kind of affluent neighbors.

oki
05-03-2013, 11:36 PM
Paycom, Farmer's Insurance, general growth in offices in and around the area, hotels, sundry shops opening along the road (many in new buildings), medical facilities, etc.

I mean, most of this is the past 5 years. Not necessarily brand spankin' new, but definitely still moving forward.

Plus BJ's, Mahoghany's, Gigi's Cupcakes, whatever the name of that boutique and kitchen cookware store is, Cool Greens, Chick-Fil-A, and some of the other things around there.

oki
05-03-2013, 11:38 PM

I'd rank it as

My thoughts exactly. QSM is comfortable, safe, and the shops are fine for the midwest. PSM is fine, but...crowded, traffic, etc. indeed.

bchris02
05-04-2013, 07:44 AM
Compare the Macy's between Quail and Penn. That should tell you enough. I went into the Quail Macy's to try and get something that was out of stock at the Penn one and was amazed at the low quality of the store. Somebody tear out that horrible green carpet (or is that in Dillard's?).

Like others, I don't understand the people having parking issues at Penn. Holiday parking is terrible anywhere. Any other time of the year, I've never had a problem parking at Penn. Try the north side of the mall like someone said.

I think those that like Quail very much make a good point, in that it does fill some sort of niche. I think a lot of people just have visions of malls like NorthPark in Dallas or Stonebriar in Frisco. That being said, I do think Quail is going downhill with all of the low end places it has added in the last 5 years. If Edmond ever builds a mall at I-35/Covell, Quail will probably end up like Crossroads.

Agreed.

One thing I want to point out is Penn, while being upscale for OKC, would be a pretty middle of the road mall in most cities. Quail Springs would be a mid-low end mall. I think Penn can step it up a notch, which it appears they are trying to do, and Quail can as well, which will probably happen after Von Maur opens.

Bunty
05-04-2013, 01:25 PM

I've never had trouble finding parking at Penn Square, except for the day after Thanksgiving.

MonkeesFan
05-04-2013, 05:37 PM
I've never had trouble finding parking at Penn Square, except for the day after Thanksgiving.

Same here and also during Christmas season