View Full Version : Sprouts

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Pete
04-08-2011, 05:20 PM
This is the old CompUSA site and before that, I think it was a Safeway.

28,700 square feet to be remodeled for $800,000.

"Sunflower Farmers Market (www.sunflowermarkets.com) is a rapidly growing chain of full-service grocery stores offering consumers the highest quality natural and organic products at the lowest possible price. The company, founded in 2002, is a pioneer in developing the emerging value segment of the natural and organic foods retailing industry. They have remained true to their motto “Serious Food…Silly Prices®” since the market’s inception. The company has 33 retail stores located throughout Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico, Nevada, Utah, and Texas."

With Whole Foods, the new up-scale market proposed for Edmond and now Sunflower, things are starting to (finally!) heat up in the OKC grocery game.

Pete
04-08-2011, 05:30 PM
The stores are pretty basic in appearance but the produce is supposed to be super fresh and reasonable.

Sunflower is based out of Boulder and run by the guy that used to head Wild Oats before it was bought out by Whole Foods. Their strategy seems to target those that love fresh/organic but don't want to pay Whole Paycheck prices.

http://naturalspecialtyfoodsmemo.blogspot.com/2008/12/retail-memo-fast-growing-and-scrappy.html

http://blogs.westword.com/cafesociety/sunflower%20market.jpg

foodiefan
04-08-2011, 05:54 PM
OMG. . . now THIS is exciting!! Am reposting my "upscale Edmond market" because I think it is (more) applicable here.

The Buy 4 Less on NW Expw/I-44/Portland has upgraded nicely, and yes, I think with the advent of WF, the other grocers are at long last stepping up their game. It would be nice if the one in Edmond is hugely successful. . .perhaps they will do another in the Midtown area. It is interesting, but OKC finally seems "ready" for this type of shopping experience. Pratt's tried a WF/CM format several years ago in Edmond and it didn't last long/make it. . . hopefully we are ready now!! I don't really care about "upscale". . . it is the availability of interesting and unusual product that we so need (including "food to go"). . . .I'd absolutely be the last person to "dis" Buy 4 Less. . . when it comes to herbs (NW 23/Penn) and Latino/Mexican goods (NW 36th/MacArthur). . .and the cheese selection at NW Expwy/I-44/Portland is (imo) second only to Forward Foods. It seems like we are at long last expanding to more than one "possiblity"!!

foodiefan
04-08-2011, 06:00 PM
Pete. . . OKC doesn't show on their "locations" page. . .are you saying this is coming??

MikeOKC
04-08-2011, 06:02 PM
This is great news. This is the one I referred to in the thread about D&B. I'm very excited about this as it's just a few blocks from my home at Founders. To have this along with the Buy for Less at NWX and Portland (great store), Whole Foods and a couple of others, as Pete said - this market is finally heating up.

Pete
04-08-2011, 06:05 PM
OKC doesn't show on their "locations" page. . .are you saying this is coming??

A building permit was issued today in their name! So, this is more than a plan... They are ready to start work.

Heck, they may even be open before Whole Foods! And I don't think it's a coincidence they chose a location only about a mile away.

Sunflower seems to be similar to Sprouts, which also tends to locate near WF's and compete with lower prices.

foodiefan
04-08-2011, 06:19 PM
PA-LEESE say yes! This would be "So Fine"! And Sam's Liquors is a 1/2 block away. . .can't hurt!!

foodiefan
04-08-2011, 06:22 PM
This intersection (NW 63rd/May) could turn into a shopping destination!!

bluedogok
04-08-2011, 06:37 PM
That is going to be a good location for them, in a former Safeway store (that was a Hobby Lobby prior to Sunflower) just like the one close to my house here in Austin. It is the closest grocery store to my house and I go there pretty often, a very good produce section. The Sprouts on this side of town went into the former CompUSA store.

They have great bulk chocolate peanut clusters......

MikeOKC
04-08-2011, 06:52 PM
This intersection (NW 63rd/May) could turn into a shopping destination!!

May Avenue from 50th street north, about as far as you can go, is a boom street. The area around 63rd south to 50th will be an almost total transformation. It's been great to see. The whole area is on the radar screens of national retailers. Keep an eye on the Borders location. It's not just about good demographics in the area, but about access. This whole area is easy to get to via Northwest Expressway and, maybe more importantly I-44 and Lake Hefner Parkway. Close to Penn Square. Add to that the fact that the new ownership at 50 Penn sounds like they are serious about returning that space to its former glory, and things look really good for the area around the Northwest Business District.

mcca7596
04-08-2011, 06:58 PM
May Avenue from 50th street north, about as far as you can go, is a boom street. The area around 63rd south to 50th will be an almost total transformation. It's been great to see. The whole area is on the radar screens of national retailers. Keep an eye on the Borders location. It's not just about good demographics in the area, but about access. This whole area is easy to get to via Northwest Expressway and, maybe more importantly I-44 and Lake Hefner Parkway. Close to Penn Square. Add to that the fact that the new ownership at 50 Penn sounds like they are serious about returning that space to its former glory, and things look really good for the area around the Northwest Business District.

Good points.

I wish something could go in on the former dealership site north of I-44 on the west side of May.

MikeOKC
04-08-2011, 07:07 PM
Good points.

I wish something could go in on the former dealership site north of I-44 on the west side of May.

You know, those guys were ready to move with a big center right when the bottom fell out. They had a website up with drawings and everything. Add to that, Mayfair Plaza which is having tenancy problems due to poor, poor ownership. The Warr family had that for years and it was always nice, good tenants with a waiting list, well-maintained, but after Gene died, the kids sold it and its gone down the tubes. They didn't even decorate for Christmas this past year, a first for that center. But, I hear that the value has skyrocketed due to all the improvements just blocks north and that might mean the owner in LA might sell. He's run off just about everybody. Even Dick Christman finally left. Let's all hope he takes advantage of the market increase and sells. There's interested parties, I know.

foodiefan
04-08-2011, 07:21 PM
DC moved to 36th/MacArthur. . .wondered what was up with that. . . they have been at 50th/May forever. Hope their move will bring good things a little further West!!

progressiveboy
04-08-2011, 08:39 PM
Good points.

I wish something could go in on the former dealership site north of I-44 on the west side of May. On my last visit to OKC. I noticed that stretch of block is getting pretty run down. I think they need to bulldoze San Marcos, the car dealer next door that used to be a gas station and to the North of San Marcos there are some run down ratty white looking buildings. After they bulldozed the former Lynn Hickey building it is just sitting there with the remnants in the parking lot. To the South, is a Lowes and across the street a fairly new car dealership that replaced a run down shopping strip.

progressiveboy
04-08-2011, 08:41 PM
This will be a nice addition to the grocery scene in OKC. Finally, the city is stepping up to the plate and getting better grocery selections.

Dustin
04-08-2011, 10:06 PM
!!!! This is OUTSTANDING NEWS!

ljbab728
04-09-2011, 12:34 AM
Yes, it's wonderful news. I live about 2 miles from there. I normally walk right by the organic food section where I shop now because the prices are out of sight. The competition will be good for everone.

Larry OKC
04-09-2011, 12:46 AM
This is the old CompUSA site and before that, I think it was a Safeway. ...
Interesting. I couldn't have told you what was there before it was Comp USA (I probably would have guessed that it and that entire strip mall was new construction.

Know there used to be an IGA around the corner in the French Market Mall (where Quiznos, Dollar Tree etc are located now). This was back in the day when Venture(?) was one of the anchors and there was actually an enclosed mall (what is now Burlington). The only visible remnants of the mall structure are the escalators and the wrought iron fencing (now painted white).

Think the only "original" tenants are Furrs and the Pipe Store (used to be in the mall).

Spartan
04-09-2011, 06:13 AM
Is it going to be similar to a "Co-Op" type grocery store that you see in the Midwest a lot?

bluedogok
04-09-2011, 08:33 AM
Is it going to be similar to a "Co-Op" type grocery store that you see in the Midwest a lot?
It is not a "co-op" type store, Sunflower and Sprouts are regular grocery stores with a natural/organic focus. They are somewhat different being more like a grocery store than the Wheatsville Co-op (http://wheatsville.coop/) down here.

soonerguru
04-10-2011, 01:15 PM
This is GREAT news for OKC. I think this thread should be duplicated on the General Civic Issues and/or Urban Core thread, as it is something that affects all of OKC's quality of life.

kellyc
04-10-2011, 04:02 PM
I was at Half Price books at that shopping center this morning wondering what would go in that empty space so this is interesting news. I hope they don't put Akins out of business.

metro
04-10-2011, 06:30 PM
Hopefully it will encourage Akins to beef up it's selection, Akins is a joke

progressiveboy
04-10-2011, 07:11 PM
Hopefully it will encourage Akins to beef up it's selection, Akins is a joke I agree. I feel that the pressure is on for the OKC grocery scene. For too long, OKC has settled for inferior grocery stores with lack of quality and selection. With Whole Foods and Sunflower entering the market Akins and all other grocery stores are going to have to change their mentality if they are going to survive. Competition is healthy in the market but it is going to come down to survival of the fittest.

bluedogok
04-10-2011, 07:14 PM
I see them as a bit different, to me Akin's was always a supplement/vitamin store with a little bit of grocery, Sunflower is grocery with some supplements. We have the same thing here with the Vitamin Cottage/Natural Grocers being more like Akin's than a Whole Foods, HEB Central Market, Sunflower or Sprouts.

soonerguru
04-10-2011, 08:21 PM
I think this is going to really dent business at that Homeland on North May and Britton, as well as the Buy 4 Less. I go to Crest a lot but I can guarantee you I'll probably be visiting Sunflower on a regular basis -- and Whole Foods when I feel like a splurge.

J. Pitman
04-11-2011, 08:18 AM
Great news

Spartan
04-11-2011, 09:18 AM
I think this is going to really dent business at that Homeland on North May and Britton, as well as the Buy 4 Less. I go to Crest a lot but I can guarantee you I'll probably be visiting Sunflower on a regular basis -- and Whole Foods when I feel like a splurge.

Or when you want some nice booze or wine..oh wait. Lol

J. Pitman
04-12-2011, 08:24 AM
I'd rather have fresh organic fruits and veggies than wine and cold beer, but that's just me.

If I have to cross the street for a bottle of wine and beer, so be it. Would I prefer wine and cold beer in the grocery store, of course, but until things change I won't be too bothered by it.

OKCTalker
04-14-2011, 10:35 AM
I understand that Sunflower will be open before Whole Foods.

lasomeday
04-14-2011, 10:38 AM
Where have you seen the dates for either one of these? What are they?

OKCTalker
04-14-2011, 02:28 PM

Local retail leasing guy at one of the big firms.

ljbab728
04-14-2011, 10:52 PM

I also think that all of our Maps projects will be completed before Whole Foods opens.

SoonerQueen
04-15-2011, 07:57 PM
I live right around the corner and we don't have a grocery store in the immediate area. It will be nice to have a new place to shop.

foodiefan
04-19-2011, 03:04 PM
Drove by today and the entry doors were open and there were work trucks parked in front of the store. Also, they have acknowledged they are opening a store in OKC on their FB page, although they didn't say where it is going to be. This should be a great location!!

Pete
04-19-2011, 03:40 PM
I'm sure a big part of their strategy is to be open before Whole Foods, which they should do with ease.

I bet Sunflower is open in 90 days.

foodiefan
04-19-2011, 04:10 PM
I'm sure a big part of their strategy is to be open before Whole Foods, which they should do with ease.

I bet Sunflower is open in 90 days.

Their comment on their FB page said fall, but I'm certainly hoping it's sooner! Was looking at their ads for the Albq NM store and they were advertising Boar's Head deli meats. . .hope they will carry them here in OKC. Not readily available in OKC (Crescent Mkt and ltd selection at Kamps).

foodiefan
04-19-2011, 04:13 PM
re-reading some of the previous posts. . .Sam's Liquor store (NW corner intersection) will be convenient. . . until we can get wine in the grocery stores (lol)!!

Debzkidz
04-19-2011, 04:23 PM
Their comment on their FB page said fall, but I'm certainly hoping it's sooner! Was looking at their ads for the Albq NM store and they were advertising Boar's Head deli meats. . .hope they will carry them here in OKC. Not readily available in OKC (Crescent Mkt and ltd selection at Kamps).
Now this is really exciting. I love Boars Head meats and cheeses. Crescent Markets selection is very limited, and the last 2 times I've tried to go to Kamps they were either closed or the line was so long, I couldn't wait.

foodiefan
04-19-2011, 04:53 PM
Now this is really exciting. I love Boars Head meats and cheeses. Crescent Markets selection is very limited, and the last 2 times I've tried to go to Kamps they were either closed or the line was so long, I couldn't wait.

. . . maybe some folks will be wiling to go to their web site and ask them please, please?!! I did!

DelCamino
04-19-2011, 05:03 PM
The story is now confirmed: From the Progressive Grocer....

http://www.progressivegrocer.com/top-stories/headlines/business-focus/id32540/sunflower-farmers-market-to-open-first-oklahoma-location/

Looking at a September opening.

bluedogok
04-19-2011, 05:50 PM
They carry Boar's Head at the South Austin store.

SkyWestOKC
04-19-2011, 07:35 PM
The story is now confirmed: From the Progressive Grocer....

http://www.progressivegrocer.com/top-stories/headlines/business-focus/id32540/sunflower-farmers-market-to-open-first-oklahoma-location/

Looking at a September opening.

Looks like we can add another "first in OK" to the OKC list v.s Tulsa.

metro
04-20-2011, 09:41 AM

You can get boars heads at tons of places in OKC

foodiefan
04-20-2011, 11:25 AM
You can get boars heads at tons of places in OKC

Would you mind sharing, please? I'm specifically talking about deli meats to bring home. . .not to go and eat a sandwich at a deli. The only places I've found are Crescent Market and Kamp's. MIdtown Deli had some when they were open, but the selection was very limited and their focus was the eat-in sandwich.

foodiefan
04-20-2011, 02:14 PM
Got a reply to my email from Sunflower!! They are still saying September and no confirmation on the address, but . . . .

We will be opening a store in OK city in September. Yes, we will have Boars Head meats, an in store bakery, and artisan bread. We look forward to our new venture and thank you for your support.

Paula Cataldo
Sunflower Farmers Market
Phoenix Support Office

metro
04-20-2011, 06:25 PM
Would you mind sharing, please? I'm specifically talking about deli meats to bring home. . .not to go and eat a sandwich at a deli. The only places I've found are Crescent Market and Kamp's. MIdtown Deli had some when they were open, but the selection was very limited and their focus was the eat-in sandwich.

You can get it by the pound at Hobbies hoagies, and Forward Foods, also pretty sure the new SW Crest store carries it, those are just a few off the top of my head in addition to the others mentioned, I know there is more though. I used to like it, but I think Boars Head is overrated.

foodiefan
04-20-2011, 08:38 PM
You can get it by the pound at Hobbies hoagies, and Forward Foods, also pretty sure the new SW Crest store carries it, those are just a few off the top of my head in addition to the others mentioned, I know there is more though. I used to like it, but I think Boars Head is overrated.

Thx!! I'm in FF pretty regularly. . . just must have not noticed it. If the SW Crest carries it, perhaps they can get it at my Crest as well. You mentioned you t hink it's overrated. . .what do you recommend? Share the wealth!!

soonerguru
04-20-2011, 09:37 PM
I'm not so sure Boar's Head is all that rare. I'm more interested in organic/local/naturally raised meats, which it sounds like they carry at Sunflower.

SkyWestOKC
04-20-2011, 10:16 PM
So is Sunflower's the Publix of the Southwest?

Dustin
04-20-2011, 11:52 PM
http://newsok.com/sunflower-farmers-market-plans-okc-store/article/3560490?custom_click=lead_story_title

http://s3.amazonaws.com/newsok-photos/1398668/gallery_photo.jpg

foodiefan
04-21-2011, 01:44 PM

Don't know if Metro will check back in or not, but. . . I called Forward Foods (OKC) and they said they do not carry Boar's Head, also checked with the SW Crest store. . .nix. Hobbies Hoagies does carry, but, like Midtown Deli, selection is limited to what they stock to put on their sandwiches (understand that. . .makes sense for their purposes). So, I'll be glad when Sunflower hits town with it's goodies as it is closer to me than Crescent or Kamps.

Debzkidz
04-21-2011, 09:29 PM
I know the Crest in Edmond definitely does not carry Boars Head.

soonerguru
04-21-2011, 09:41 PM
No offense, but what's the BFD about Boar's Head meat? Can't you get it at any deli in the Midwest? It's good but it's not nearly as good as the meat you get at delis in New York, Chicago, etc.

foodiefan
04-22-2011, 07:48 AM
No offense, but what's the BFD about Boar's Head meat? Can't you get it at any deli in the Midwest? It's good but it's not nearly as good as the meat you get at delis in New York, Chicago, etc.

While I agree that it's not as good as the meat you get at delis in NY and Chicago, OKC is not NY, Chicago and I"m not aware of anyplace you can buy those types of meats here. I just happen to like it better than anything else I can get locally so I end up making a special trip to Crescent or Kamp's, however Sunflower FM will be much closer to me, so I'm excited. If there is something available locally that you prefer to Boar's Head, please share and I would be delighted to give it a try.

Rover
04-23-2011, 06:52 AM
There is a sandwich place on Britain Rd. btwn Penn and May, by the Johnnies in the little shopping center that has Boar's Head, I believe. Not sure why some here wouldn't like it. And, I think it is the equivalent of what you get in most delis in NYC....just not maybe the elite shops.

bluedogok
04-23-2011, 07:39 AM
Boar's Head is about the best you can find in this part of the country, it still isn't what you can find in some places. The best pastrami that I have had is at Friedman's Lunch Deli in Chelsea Market (http://www.friedmanslunch.com/) in NYC. I have found nothing close to it but Boar's Head is an acceptable substitute.

J. Pitman
04-23-2011, 10:09 AM
Might be more excited about this than the WF

metro
04-23-2011, 04:00 PM
There is a sandwich place on Britain Rd. btwn Penn and May, by the Johnnies in the little shopping center that has Boar's Head, I believe. Not sure why some here wouldn't like it. And, I think it is the equivalent of what you get in most delis in NYC....just not maybe the elite shops.

ND Foods

foodiefan
04-26-2011, 06:41 AM
The info about the OKC store is now on their website. . .63rd and May. Interesting to read that their IT guy is from Oklahoma!