View Full Version : Jim Roth Assaulted

Pages : [1] 2

ljbab728
04-20-2013, 01:59 AM
Openly gay former public official attacked outside Oklahoma City bar by man who used anti-gay slurs | News OK (http://newsok.com/openly-gay-former-public-official-attacked-outside-oklahoma-city-bar-by-man-who-used-anti-gay-slurs/article/3791204)

It's really sad that this could happen in OKC, but it seems to be possible anywhere. The reaction of the public and bar owners is very reassuring

BBatesokc
04-20-2013, 05:49 AM
That is too bad. I've casually known Jim for several years. He's always been extremely nice and gone out of his way to greet my wife and I whenever we are at the same functions or establishments.

catcherinthewry
04-20-2013, 08:51 AM
It's very sad that clowns like this who are so ignorant and close minded still exist. I hope the attacker is brought to justice.

Mississippi Blues
04-20-2013, 09:13 AM
This really irks me. Maybe I'm just a little sensitive in the mornings, but this is really unnecessary. I've never met him personally, but he seems like a really good person. Like ljbab728 said, it's good to see the public & bar owners stand behind him.

dankrutka
04-20-2013, 09:44 AM
Glad to see there's an outrage at this kind of crap . I hope they catch these cowards.

PennyQuilts
04-20-2013, 10:11 AM
That's ridiculous - what is wrong with people? Roth showed a heck of a lot of class regarding the matter, and kudos to the ones not putting up with such anti social behavior.

Spartan
04-20-2013, 12:09 PM
Openly gay former public official attacked outside Oklahoma City bar by man who used anti-gay slurs | News OK (http://newsok.com/openly-gay-former-public-official-attacked-outside-oklahoma-city-bar-by-man-who-used-anti-gay-slurs/article/3791204)

It's really sad that this could happen in OKC, but it seems to be possible anywhere. The reaction of the public and bar owners is very reassuring

Not really. And therein lies the difference between southern cities and northern cities.

Mississippi Blues
04-20-2013, 12:49 PM
Not really. And therein lies the difference between southern cities and northern cities.

It could still happen anywhere, including the North believe it or not. Bigots exist everywhere, not just the South, contrary to popular belief. & Oklahoma is borderline southern anyways. It may seem southern to someone who lives in Cleveland, OH, even though you're from here & have spent most of your life here, but to someone who has spent a large part of their life in Jackson, MS, there isn't a thing southern about OKC & Oklahoma besides it fits in with the stereotypes (obviously).

Note: Understand that I'm not saying there are no differences between northern & southern cities, plus homophobic or racist controversies are more prone to happen in a southern city, but it happens all over the world, not just in TX, OK, AR, LA, MS, TN, KY, AL, FL, GA, SC, NC, VA or any other states someone considers southern (Maryland, Delaware, & D.C. are considered southern by a lot of people).

king183
04-20-2013, 01:57 PM

Sorry, Spartan, but that's an ignorant thing to say. As someone who has lived in two major northern cities, I'd witness this kind of stuff on a regular basis.

ThomPaine
04-20-2013, 02:01 PM

Well, it can happen anywhere, it really depends on which parts of a town in the north you happen to be in. Not as frequent, but still possible.

We still have some work to do here. I noticed they disabled the comments, which is normally not a good sign.

I wish him the best.

adaniel
04-20-2013, 02:17 PM
Well, it can happen anywhere, it really depends on which parts of a town in the north you happen to be in. Not as frequent, but still possible.

We still have some work to do here. I noticed they disabled the comments, which is normally not a good sign.

I wish him the best.

FWIW, the Oklahoman disables all comments pertaining to violent crimes.

HOT ROD
04-20-2013, 02:40 PM
^ or controversial, unless it is controversy/scrutiny which the D'Ohk wants to create (particularly anything pro-T party/anti-Obama related - you can surely count on commentary and even solicitation for those). ...

LandRunOkie
04-20-2013, 03:07 PM
I'm left wondering why they tried to create a publicity stunt out of this shameful episode of violence. Also alluding to what great men their grandfathers were when the proprietors themselves lacked the courage to do the right thing was inappropriate. Why would I care what their grandfathers were like when they allow cowards to bully the weak on their premises. I feel they should have done the right thing when they had the chance rather than pander to "everybody" in an advertisement.

CaptDave
04-20-2013, 03:12 PM
The assault occurred after Roth left in an attempt to diffuse the situation if I understand correctly. The jackhole(s) followed him outside and that is when the confrontation escalated. I don't think the owners of Grandad's are trying to profit off it, but are drawing a line on unacceptable behavior at their place. I doubt the cowards will be welcome there in the future.

Steve
04-20-2013, 03:21 PM
I'm left wondering why they tried to create a publicity stunt out of this shameful episode of violence. Also alluding to what great men their grandfathers were when the proprietors themselves lacked the courage to do the right thing was inappropriate. Why would I care what their grandfathers were like when they allow cowards to bully the weak on their premises. I feel they should have done the right thing when they had the chance rather than pander to "everybody" in an advertisement.

You have a fundamental misunderstanding of what happened. Also, fyi, Jim Roth did NOT seek any publicity. The reporter obtained a police report of the incident and contacted Roth.

workman45
04-20-2013, 03:25 PM
Luckily this is a situation where a few a$$es are not going to ruin things for everyone.

bluedogok
04-20-2013, 04:29 PM
Yes it can happen anywhere, it happens a few times a year in Austin and a few times the victim has died from his injuries. Not all make the news but if you know enough gay people and you hear about the incidents. There has been a few here in Denver (one death that I know of) since I moved up here and it even happens in places like NYC, Boston, Chicago and DC. Idiocy has no geographic limitations.

HOT ROD
04-20-2013, 04:32 PM
True that

BBatesokc
04-20-2013, 04:58 PM

I had a copy of the report sent to me and how you are depicting/imagining the flow of events is not how it happened.

Its a no win for the bar.... if they are stand up citizens and post the ad they are looking for marketing kudos - if they do nothing they are cowards and condoned the bullying.

LandRunOkie
04-20-2013, 06:43 PM
No the c-word I reserved for the assailants, not the owners. Still given their background with Roth, its a big ask they made for a higher level of morality from their patrons when they weren't willing to protect one of them.

ljbab728
04-20-2013, 08:27 PM
Interesting that you seem to be the only one with that attitude. Methinks you're trying to create a controversy where none exist.

Mississippi Blues
04-20-2013, 10:30 PM
Interesting that you seem to be the only one with that attitude. Methinks you're trying to create a controversy where none exist.

Methinks you're probably right. It's never enough that something happened in a public venue & the owners stepped up & said they don't support that kind of BS at their establishment, someone has to try & turn it into them playing the situation to promote their bar & they should be frowned upon for publicly condemning a nonsense situation.

soonerguru
04-21-2013, 12:08 AM
This reminds me that people burned the flag on Al McAffrey's lawn. I recall a lot of posters here saying there was no way he was targeted for being gay. Guess what, it happens, and it happens in places where you wouldn't even imagine -- like Granddad's.

I've been there a few times and cannot imagine the crowd there attracting bigots like this, but I guess they're more common in OKC than any of us would like to admit.

It's sad that 1) Roth felt the need to leave the bar; and 2) this happened at a birthday celebration. What a drag. His comments were very classy but I'm surprised he hasn't already left OKC for friendlier pastures, where you don't constantly have to hear you're going to hell for being a ***, etc.

ljbab728
04-21-2013, 01:17 AM
As other posters have mentioned, something like this can and does happen everywhere.

Why would you think the crowd at Grandad's attracts bigots? Bigots are everywhere in OKC but maybe not as common as you seem to think just because one makes the news. As unfortunate as this is, it's not an everyday occurance here which is what makes it very sad.

As for your last comment, you can't run from bigotry and you don't constantly hear what you are concerned about unless you are visiting with Sally Kern on a daily basis.

boitoirich
04-21-2013, 03:53 AM
I went to Grandad's with a group of friends a couple months ago -- all of us gay men, professional in both attire and manner (not that it really matters but, to be sure, in certain places it helps). We were enjoying the Thunder game when we overheard some men slurring us. We made the decision to leave right away, even though I wanted to stand our ground. After all, we had every bit the right to be there as anyone else. Now I must say that Oklahoma City circa 2013 is a much different place than Oklahoma City circa 1993. I feel comfortable and welcomed in many places throughout the city more than I have at any time in my life. But it strikes me as eerie, alarming, and sickening that this event (1) could ever occur and (2) was foreshadowed by my own experience there.

To counter the remarks of someone I respect on the forum, this is not isolated to certain places. I have been called a f**got and a n*gg** in other places I have lived, including Honolulu, Los Angeles, San Francisco, and New York. These are isolate events, just like what happened to Mr. Roth, and do not reflect the mores of the general population. In fact, I would say that the growth and leadership Oklahoma City has shown to LGBTQ issues is one of the major achievements the city has seen in the past two decades and is a testament to the revitalization of our home. If any person asked me if this is a welcoming community to diversity, I would say "You are certainly welcome here -- just be prepared to be challenged on political grounds rather than physical ones." I would not have said the same thing when I left nearly 15 years ago.

I am happy to see that everyone here is showing support and, for the most part, sensitivity to this issue. And as sickened as I am about the events that have happened, I also feel more a part of this community than I ever have because of the way you all have rallied in support of Mr. Roth and the owner of Granddad's. This spirit is what makes Oklahoma City great, but that's just my rose-tinged opinion.

WilliamTell
04-21-2013, 06:09 AM
I went to Grandad's with a group of friends a couple months ago.

Great post and glad to have you here.

I think the vast majority of people in okc feel the same way, but as you mentioned where ever you go there is always a small and vocal group of idiots and the dumber they are the louder they seem to be.

I'm glad the owner made his comment and Roth taking the high road and trying to remove himself from a bad situation. Any time when people are drinking (or could be) its always best just to remove yourself from it and move on. In my college years I learned that some people go into the night looking to start a fight with someone, if you run into them its best just to move on and keep enjoying your night somewhere else.

Midtowner
04-21-2013, 06:34 AM
Where was the bar's security folks? Having lax security and obviously a history of hosting both gay men and men who want to try to start fights with the gay men there is a recipe for liability.

BBatesokc
04-21-2013, 06:44 AM
Where was the bar's security folks? Having lax security and obviously a history of hosting both gay men and men who want to try to start fights with the gay men there is a recipe for liability.

That's kinda funny you mention that. My wife and I are to the age (40's) that we rarely go to bars - don't drink much, don't like to pay exorbitant prices when we do drink and are not fond of potentially rowdy crowds of drunk 20-somethings. So, on the rare occasion we do go to a 'bar' - I'd guess we intentionally go to places that DON'T have 'security staff' because that usually tells us they don't need it.

Midtowner
04-21-2013, 07:56 AM
That's kinda funny you mention that. My wife and I are to the age (40's) that we rarely go to bars - don't drink much, don't like to pay exorbitant prices when we do drink and are not fond of potentially rowdy crowds of drunk 20-somethings. So, on the rare occasion we do go to a 'bar' - I'd guess we intentionally go to places that DON'T have 'security staff' because that usually tells us they don't need it.

A bar without adequate security is a recipe for disaster. Ask Chad Peery's family about that. I get that occasional incidents tend to happen, but it appears this isn't the first issue this bar has had.

roci28
04-21-2013, 08:33 AM
This attack on Jim Roth because of his sexual orientation is disgusting and a form of bullying at its worst. Fortunatley this doesn't happen daily in OKC, however when the majority of our own gov't doesn't seem to care about the welfare of its homosexual citizens...just proven in a vote a few weeks ago regarding what is being discussed in the Supreme Court currently, some of these bigots feel it ok to run rampant on certain classes and citizens. When are we going to say this is not ok? What kind of message does this send out to the youth of OKC?

Mississippi Blues
04-21-2013, 09:03 AM
soonerguru, I usually love your posts, I usually agree with them, but I have to disagree with you on this one. I think ljbab728 & boitoirich have already explained it pretty well. Running from bigotry is like running from clouds, they're everywhere you go & it doesn't matter how far or how fast you run to escape it, you never will. You might as well settle down wherever you feel happy instead of running for "greener pastures" every time someone shows their butt, because in this case, they just don't exist.

Great post btw boitoirich. Sorry you have to put up with that stuff.

BBatesokc
04-21-2013, 10:06 AM
A bar without adequate security is a recipe for disaster. Ask Chad Peery's family about that. I get that occasional incidents tend to happen, but it appears this isn't the first issue this bar has had.

Guess it just depends on how you define 'a bar.'

Having been in the business for a long time, its fairly unrealistic to expect every hole-in-the-wall ball/gathering/restaurant to have 'adequate security' (which is a subjective term at best).

Using the incident with Chad Peery - I'm guessing most people would agree 'adequate security' against his attackers would have required four security personnel. You are going to be hard pressed to find many smaller bars or restaurant bars that can afford four dedicated security staff members during operational hours.

hoya
04-21-2013, 10:13 AM

23-year-old gay man attacked on Manhattan subway as riders fail to act - NY Daily News (http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/gay-man-attacked-train-riders-watch-article-1.1268442)

So, if New York doesn't count as a "northern city", then what does?

PennyQuilts
04-21-2013, 10:35 AM

I was recently in NYC and some black coach came on television during a sports event. We were with a group of primarily young, liberal people (thirties) and we didn't all know each other. One of the guys who was friends with the host but the rest of us had just met him made the loud comment that the coach looked "just like a gorilla!" The room got quiet for a second and then almost immediately, all those rabid liberals began making urgent conversation to change the subject. Being from Oklahoma, I popped up and said, "What are you talking about? You honestly think he looks like a gorilla?" The liberals in the room got quiet, again and the guy got flustered and insisted he hadn't meant anything by it. In fact, he said, "I'm not a racist but you have to admit that guy has a real simian look to him, around his jaw and nose." I just looked him in the eye and said, coldly, "No, I really don't see that."

Not one liberal in that room called him on it. They just quickly changed the subject to cover it over and were clearly embarassed by the whole exchange. And I know most of them - in the comfort of their own living rooms and with people of like minds, they are very, very, very vocal about the problem of racism. When faced with a real life situation in a social setting with someone who is a friend of a friend, they said nothing. Candidly, I wasn't proud of them.

To hear someone claim this sort of thing doesn't go on in Northern Cities is ignorant. You haven't seen racism in action until you see the servant class minority nannies with the little white babies, and the Upper West Side rich liberals who run that city - or take the subway to queens and the like. Talk is cheap, friend. How you treat people and the way you behave is what matters.

soonerguru
04-21-2013, 11:10 AM
soonerguru, I usually love your posts, I usually agree with them, but I have to disagree with you on this one. I think ljbab728 & boitoirich have already explained it pretty well. Running from bigotry is like running from clouds, they're everywhere you go & it doesn't matter how far or how fast you run to escape it, you never will. You might as well settle down wherever you feel happy instead of running for "greener pastures" every time someone shows their butt, because in this case, they just don't exist.

Great post btw boitoirich. Sorry you have to put up with that stuff.

Sorry if I didn't make it more clear. What I should have said is we're lucky to have people like Jim Roth in our community. He could live / work anywhere. The fact that he has stayed here is great -- if somewhat surprising. The political climate here is not friendly to gay people. That is not in dispute.

That being said, OKC is much more LGBT friendly than it has ever been and hopefully will continue to get better.

I'm not sure how many of you have seen the excellent film "Bully," but it describes small-town Oklahoma to a tee, and it is small-town Oklahoma that drives our state's politics. If you saw that you would understand that Oklahoma can be an incredibly hostile place for gay and lesbian teens.

Fortunately, OKC, Tulsa and Norman are much more tolerant and welcoming places to be.

Bunty
04-21-2013, 12:17 PM
It's sad that 1) Roth felt the need to leave the bar; and 2) this happened at a birthday celebration. What a drag. His comments were very classy but I'm surprised he hasn't already left OKC for friendlier pastures, where you don't constantly have to hear you're going to hell for being a ***, etc.
I wouldn't be surprised OKC gays have been leaving for friendlier places, such as Dallas, Denver and California. Aside from one bar being built, the 39th St. district has been in decline in recent years. Many gays and straights can hardly believe a fabulous dance place, Angles, has had to close, except for special events, on weekends, due to lack of patronage. On the other hand, perhaps the 39th St. situation merely reflects that OKC gays have felt their partying has become more accepted in other entertainment areas and have been going there.

Mississippi Blues
04-21-2013, 12:18 PM
Sorry if I didn't make it more clear. What I should have said is we're lucky to have people like Jim Roth in our community. He could live / work anywhere. The fact that he has stayed here is great -- if somewhat surprising. The political climate here is not friendly to gay people. That is not in dispute.

That being said, OKC is much more LGBT friendly than it has ever been and hopefully will continue to get better.

I'm not sure how many of you have seen the excellent film "Bully," but it describes small-town Oklahoma to a tee, and it is small-town Oklahoma that drives our state's politics. If you saw that you would understand that Oklahoma can be an incredibly hostile place for gay and lesbian teens.

Fortunately, OKC, Tulsa and Norman are much more tolerant and welcoming places to be.

Okay, this I can understand. I agree with you from this standpoint. Thank you for clarifying.

bluedogok
04-21-2013, 12:21 PM

The rural areas in even the most "liberal" of states is really no different than that of rural Oklahoma. It has more to do with the differences in the attitudes of people between urban and rural areas than it does an overall state. You can find just as many bigots in rural New York (and most others) as you can in rural Oklahoma.

soonerguru
04-21-2013, 12:27 PM
The rural areas in even the most "liberal" of states is really no different than that of rural Oklahoma. It has more to do with the differences in the attitudes of people between urban and rural areas than it does an overall state. You can find just as many bigots in rural New York (and most others) as you can in rural Oklahoma.

You may be right, but I have lived in Oklahoma and New York and found Oklahoma to be more redneck, racist and close minded. A lot of rural New York State is fairly affluent, and is much more politically progressive than rural Oklahoma.

I did encounter racism in New York City, as well, but noticed that people there generally got along to an amazing degree, and were overall more accepting of differences (because they are used to living in close quarters with people who are different).

So yes, what you're saying is true, but it's not the same, and I think you know this.

Urban Pioneer
04-21-2013, 03:12 PM
I wouldn't be surprised OKC gays have been leaving for friendlier places, such as Dallas, Denver and California. Aside from one bar being built, the 39th St. district has been in decline in recent years. Many gays and straights can hardly believe a fabulous dance place, Angles, has had to close, except for special events, on weekends, due to lack of patronage. On the other hand, perhaps the 39th St. situation merely reflects that OKC gays have felt their partying has become more accepted in other entertainment areas and have been going there.

Its funny. I have been running into GLBT people lately that have completely divirgent views on this issue. Some people relish having an improved "district" for the sense of community and history that resides there. Others find that having to go to a specific place or neighborhood to "be accepted and safe" is insulting.

Grandad's is a great example of proprietors with a modern perspective, welcoming to all.

bchris02
04-22-2013, 10:13 PM
This can and does happen anywhere, but Oklahoma City in particular is known nationwide for homophobia among other things and this just confirms the stereotype. Like all stereotypes, there likely is some truth to that. I am not sure what it's like to be gay in OKC but my guess would be that its one of the worst cities to be out of the closet in. Somebody who knows better correct me if I'm wrong?

As for 39th St, I have heard the huge gay dance clubs are becoming less common nationwide as gays become more comfortable going to mainstream clubs. For those who know the scene, is 39th St still doing well?

Mississippi Blues
04-22-2013, 10:42 PM
^^ my uncle is gay & he has lived in OKC all of his life & he has never had any problems. He's very open about it & he's very liberal & he doesn't complain about the culture here (other than the politicians) & he's never considered moving anywhere else. He did consider buying a penthouse in Chicago about a year or so ago, but that was just for a vacation type place. Maybe he's just very tolerant or maybe it's just not as bad for gays as some think, I don't know for sure though.

ljbab728
04-22-2013, 11:02 PM
This can and does happen anywhere, but Oklahoma City in particular is known nationwide for homophobia among other things and this just confirms the stereotype. Like all stereotypes, there likely is some truth to that. I am not sure what it's like to be gay in OKC but my guess would be that its one of the worst cities to be out of the closet in. Somebody who knows better correct me if I'm wrong?

OKC, in particular, is not known for this nationwide. Where do you get your information? The only national publicity we have had in this area is from our beloved Sally Kern. And what "other things" are you referring to?

BBatesokc
04-23-2013, 04:33 AM

As for 39th St, I have heard the huge gay dance clubs are becoming less common nationwide as gays become more comfortable going to mainstream clubs. For those who know the scene, is 39th St still doing well?

Such an odd statement and completely untrue IMO. Please point to something tangible that supports the idea the "Oklahoma City in particular is known nationwide for homophobia."

I also love it when people (who obviously don't know a wide range of gay individuals/couples) simply assume most of Oklahoma's homosexuals are herded into the 39th street area because 'that's the gay district.'

I've been in that area since the 80's (going to the clubs with high school friends and volunteering at a former HIV/AIDS testing center). I continued to go some in the 90's while in college and even took my now wife to Angle's on one of our first dates when we were in our 20's. When I taught bartending (just to the west of the district) the class would often go to the different clubs after class to watch things and one or two clubs would let some of them pour a few rounds if they had their liquor license.

While I knew/know several gay individuals/couples who would occasionally go into the district, most felt it was lower class or too sordid for them unless they were in their 20's.

As for being out of the closet in Oklahoma. I've personally never heard any of my gay friends complain about having trouble in OKC. The only time I've known of any to have any sort of tense moment is the rare occasion where they found themselves in a place where people were consuming large amounts of alcohol. But that said, that is when most people of any sexual orientation are going to have the most likelihood of some sort of confrontation or problem.

Racism and prejudice are everywhere and within every class of people. I truly believe prejudice is far more common and far more destructive and unrealized than most people think. A great read on the topic of prejudice is Blindspot: Hidden Biases of Good People - Blindspot: Hidden Biases of Good People: Mahzarin R. Banaji, Anthony G. Greenwald: 9780553804645: Amazon.com: Books (http://www.amazon.com/Blindspot-Hidden-Biases-Good-People/dp/0553804642)

kelroy55
04-23-2013, 07:08 AM

Bigotry doesn't stop at the Mason Dixon line.

metro
04-23-2013, 11:57 AM

Sorry, Spartan, but that's an ignorant thing to say. As someone who has lived in two major northern cities, I'd witness this kind of stuff on a regular basis.

Yep very ignorant statement, I've seen this behavior just as much if not more in Northern cities. Bigotry and hate will always exist everywhere. That's as ignorant as the current regime stating "assault" rifles cause assaults, when in reality rifles are only used in 4% of ALL GUN Crimes and semi auto (mislabeled as Assault) rifles are used in only .003% of all gun crimes.

LandRunOkie
04-23-2013, 12:11 PM
Very telling how none of the posters angered by the north/south comment expressed their condolences to the victim.

BBatesokc
04-23-2013, 12:13 PM
Very telling how none of the posters angered by the north/south comment expressed their condolences to the victim.

Actually its not telling at all and a pretty petty observation.

WilliamTell
04-23-2013, 12:18 PM
I noticed it too. Its always the dame usuals around this website.

onthestrip
04-23-2013, 12:22 PM
Im not sure how we cant be one of the higher ranking homo-phobic states. Oklahoma isnt exactly known as a progessive, intolorant state. And this is the state that has continued to re-elect Sally "gays are a bigger threat than terrorism" Kern. I know no one wants to talk bad about their state but lets get real.

catcherinthewry
04-23-2013, 12:27 PM

How so? Threads get hijacked/sidetracked all the time.

RadicalModerate
04-23-2013, 12:58 PM

Perhaps because it goes without saying?
Sort of like a type of "common sense" that doesn't need to be verbalized?

(just for the record: sorry that some pinheaded, redneck, douchebags beat up on you, Jim. You seem like a nice guy who doesn't--in any way, for whatever stupid "reason"--deserve that sort of treatment. they, on the other hand, should be horsewhipped. better?)

Larry OKC
04-23-2013, 04:10 PM
OKC, in particular, is not known for this nationwide. Where do you get your information? The only national publicity we have had in this area is from our beloved Sally Kern. And what "other things" are you referring to?

Such an odd statement and completely untrue IMO. Please point to something tangible that supports the idea the "Oklahoma City in particular is known nationwide for homophobia."

It has been a few years now but remember the attention we got when then Mayor Humphreys and the Council tried to ban/did ban the Cimarron Alliance banners from being displayed on City light poles...

When Mayor Cornett publicly took credit for removing pro-gay books from public library shelves (in his failed run for Congress)...

More recently when former Councilman Bryan Walters made some comments about the City's sexual orientation policy statement...

Recent years where the OKCPS have resisted having an anti-sexual orientation statement in the students handbooks...

The firing of a long-term teacher who was known as being a proponent of gay rights...

Now how much of that made it to the national level (like some of Kern's comments)...

okcpulse
04-23-2013, 04:13 PM
Im not sure how we cant be one of the higher ranking homo-phobic states. Oklahoma isnt exactly known as a progessive, intolorant state. And this is the state that has continued to re-elect Sally "gays are a bigger threat than terrorism" Kern. I know no one wants to talk bad about their state but lets get real.

The state didn't re-elect her, her local district in Warr Acres re-elected her. That's a vast difference. She wouldn't stand a chance in MidTown.

adaniel
04-23-2013, 04:52 PM
Lots of issues with this post.

It has been a few years now but remember the attention we got when then Mayor Humphreys and the Council tried to ban/did ban the Cimarron Alliance banners from being displayed on City light poles...

Ruled unconstitutional over a decade ago, and LGBT banners have been flying no problem ever since.

When Mayor Cornett publicly took credit for removing pro-gay books from public library shelves (in his failed run for Congress)...

A lame and stupid attempt to get into favor with the state's GOP elite. A big mistake on an otherwise good career. Notice the term "failed"

More recently when former Councilman Bryan Walters made some comments about the City's sexual orientation policy statement...

The same Brian Walters who got bounced from a fairly conservative district after just one term? BTW, the city council ended up passing those things 7-1.

Recent years where the OKCPS have resisted having an anti-sexual orientation statement in the students handbooks...

Confused by this. The school district has language protecting sexual orientation for at least a few years now.

The firing of a long-term teacher who was known as being a proponent of gay rights...

Who was reinstated....

Now how much of that made it to the national level (like some of Kern's comments)...

Every red state sadly has at least one Sally Kern.

Mississippi Blues
04-23-2013, 04:54 PM

You never read my comments then. Go back & read my comments then come back & say the same thing.

RadicalModerate
04-23-2013, 05:18 PM
wow. the sword of prejudice and bigotry seems to be a double-edged weapon that cuts both ways.
it's almost as if someone said something like "beating up on a gay guy is like beating up on a diabetic."
although people don't choose to be diabetic.
really. it's all just about that stupid and ignorant.
how about a little measure of human kindness and compassion here?
it that too much to ask?
is that so wrong?
(except for the horsewhipping of the pinhead punks at Granddad's Bar)

LandRunOkie
04-23-2013, 05:57 PM
OK if you want to argue over little details I will point out the detail that your post wasn't angry, and the other 4 people who said it could happen anywhere came off as angry. However you posted later that people shouldn't run for greener pastures, which can lead to a slippery slope of blaming the victims.

Mississippi Blues
04-23-2013, 06:06 PM
OK if you want to argue over little details I will point out the detail that your post wasn't angry, and the other 4 people who said it could happen anywhere came off as angry. However you posted later that people shouldn't run for greener pastures, which can lead to a slippery slope of blaming the victims.

That's BS. My god you are good at taking **** & twisting it. I have no idea how anybody could misinterpret anything I said as me trying to blame the victim other than someone who just wants to start stuff & judging by your posts, that's exactly what this is. Just because my post didn't come across as "angry" to you (even though it was) doesn't mean I wasn't pretty pissed off about it (& I still am). I was sympathetic & even expressed how much nonsense that is yet somehow I come across as a homophobic bigot to you (you didn't say it but it's pretty well implied). & the greener paster comment was in reference to something soonerguru said about running to greener pastures, which also doesn't have **** to do with trying to pin anything on the victim. & you said I'm wanting to point out "little detail" even though what I pointed out isn't very little, haha.

What are you even trying to prove? Whatever it is, it's pretty redundant.

PennyQuilts
04-23-2013, 08:11 PM
I think we all agree this was a crappy thing to happen. There really is no arguing with people who are convinced that "everyone knows" Oklahoma is a homophobic, hateful place. It is always the same angry bunch not willing to take people at their word or trust the basic decency/civility of the vast majority of their fellow Oklahomans. People who are rude to gay people, minorities, women, the mentally ill, etc. are jerks - we all know that. Thing is, even people who don't get the whole gay thing tend to be polite unless they are jerks.