View Full Version : All American Airlines Flights Grounded

OKCTalker
04-16-2013, 01:08 PM
WSJ reports: "FAA grounds all American Airlines' flights following carrier's computer outage."
From AA.com: "American's network system is experiencing intermittent outages. At this time, we are in a system-wide ground delay that will last until 4:00pm CST as we work to resolve this issue as quickly as we can. We apologize to our customers for any inconvenience."

Damn!

venture
04-16-2013, 02:40 PM
Not really see the FAA is doing the grounding. From what I understand Sabre is down (their main system) and they have a self imposed ground delay on all aircraft until it is resolved.

Update: Communication link between their system (Sabre) and the rest of the world failed. This is maintained by good ol' HP now. I have a feeling they have a pretty good size check going to American after this.

Update 2:

American Airlines (http://www.facebook.com/AmericanAirlines?ref=stream)
UPDATE as of 3:30pm CDT: Our systems have been fully restored, however we expect continued flight delays and cancellations throughout the remainder of the day. We have made several options available to our customers:

If customers must travel today and are already at the airport, they can rebook on another airline by visiting an American Airlines agent or by going to the other airline’s ticket counter with their electronic ticket number.

If customers must travel today and are not yet at the airport, they can rebook through American Airlines reservations or through another carrier and American will honor the fare difference.

If a customer chooses not to travel today, there will be no charge for reservation changes or a full refund will be provided.

It is important to note we see no evidence that today’s technical outage is related to the tragic events in Boston.

We will continue to provide more information throughout the day as we make progress in resolving this issue. We apologize to our customers and our people for this inconvenience.

Plutonic Panda
04-16-2013, 11:11 PM
Aren't they building/designing a new multi billion dollar tracking system based on gps or something. I don't really know too much about it, except I read about it on a blog of upcoming infrastructure projects.

ljbab728
04-16-2013, 11:27 PM
Aren't they building/designing a new multi billion dollar tracking system based on gps or something. I don't really know too much about it, except I read about it on a blog of upcoming infrastructure projects.

Plupan, you're thinking about an air traffic control system. That is totally different than the computer issue today which was internal to American Airlines.

venture
04-16-2013, 11:58 PM
Yeah. What broke today was the communication pipe/link between the Sabre system and the American network. Sabre is the main reservation and operations system that they use. It is owned by HP now and they manage it for American (American parent AMR use to own it) and apparently it was the link to HP that broke.

Plutonic Panda
04-17-2013, 01:51 AM
Plupan, you're thinking about an air traffic control system. That is totally different than the computer issue today which was internal to American Airlines.oooooohhhhh, my bad lol.