View Full Version : Tornado Season and Generators

ctchandler
04-10-2013, 03:07 PM
I lose power a lot out where I live, particularly during tornado season and I am interested in purchasing a good generator, preferably diesel. Any comments about brands or places to purchase them. I don't want a toy, but I also don't think I can afford the 10 to 15 thousand dollars to install the natural gas powered "whole house" systems that cut in automatically.
C. T.

ctchandler
04-10-2013, 03:38 PM
Sid,
That's a good suggestion, unfortunately, I have been told that the installation is the killer. I knew I could get the whole house unit at around 4 to 5 thousand but cost after installation was what I don't really want to spend. I'm waiting on a friend to respond that actually had an estimate with a reputable company here in the metro area. He is the one that told me that it was going to cost him 14,500 total. Also, I really only need to run an oxygen concentrator and 220 for my water pump (I'm on a well). Then, if there is enough power I would want my refrigerator, freezer, and a light or two, and maybe my computer.
C. T.

rezman
04-11-2013, 09:08 AM
Generac makes good units in a variety of sizes. Whatever you get, make sure you have an automatic transfer switch intalled so the generator doesn't feed back down line.

ctchandler
04-11-2013, 10:23 AM
Rezman, When I purchase one, I will have it professionally installed. I am a former owner of wind generators and am well aware of the transfer switch and the danger to OG&E workers without it. Thanks for the reminder so others will know as well.
C. T.
Generac makes good units in a variety of sizes. What ever you get, make sure you have an automatic tranfer switch intalled so the generator doesn't feed back down line.

BBatesokc
04-11-2013, 10:31 AM
I know two people who bought their through Steve's Wholesale and had them installed and both commented it didn't cost nearly as much as they thought it would and are happy. I saw Sam's in MWC had a unit on display last time I was in there. We are considering one for our place - but will go with one run on natural gas. I don't wanna mess with keeping diesel on hand on refilling it.

rezman
04-11-2013, 11:05 AM
We don't have natural gas out where we are, so when we get one, it will have to be diesel or propane.

BBatesokc
04-11-2013, 12:42 PM
We don't have natural gas out where we are, so when we get one, it will have to be diesel or propane.

Seems most of the Natural Gas generators convert to propane easily (at least the few I've looked at in the past).

ctchandler
04-11-2013, 12:59 PM
BBatesokc,
I don't know why they wouldn't convert, my neighbor was a manager at a proprane place and just for fun, he rigged his riding lawn mower with propane. Thanks for the Steve's tip, Somebody else just recommended that I contact them specifically the one on South Walker at about 24th street. Apparently they are very familiar with the setup that I would prefer and they also recommend an electrician but it's just a recommendation, not a package deal. I want natural gas also if it's going to be a whole house unit. With automatic startup when the power fails. I can't be without my oxygen concentrator very long.
C. T.
Seems most of the Natural Gas generators convert to propane easily (at least the few I've looked at in the past).

MikeLucky
04-11-2013, 02:29 PM
BBatesokc,
I don't know why they wouldn't convert, my neighbor was a manager at a proprane place and just for fun, he rigged his riding lawn mower with propane. Thanks for the Steve's tip, Somebody else just recommended that I contact them specifically the one on South Walker at about 24th street. Apparently they are very familiar with the setup that I would prefer and they also recommend an electrician but it's just a recommendation, not a package deal. I want natural gas also if it's going to be a whole house unit. With automatic startup when the power fails. I can't be without my oxygen concentrator very long.
C. T.

Hey C.T., could you post the info here once you get it. I have always wanted to do a very similar setup so I would appreciate the info, if you don't mind.

bhawes
04-11-2013, 03:08 PM
Steve wholesale can sale you a 17k or 20k and its about 4800 or 5300 install.

ctchandler
04-11-2013, 05:25 PM
WichitaSooner,
I'm going there tomorrow so I will get the complete story and let you know on this thread.
C. T.

Hey C.T., could you post the info here once you get it. I have always wanted to do a very similar setup so I would appreciate the info, if you don't mind.

ctchandler
04-11-2013, 05:31 PM
Bhawes,
I went to their web site today and saw the generators they have available and I think the 17kw unit will suit me, but I'm not sure. I do know the daily kilowatts that I use so I'm sure they will know what I need. They also have a 30kw unit for almost $9,000.
C. T.

ctchandler
04-11-2013, 05:35 PM
From what I was told, installation includes the pad, natural gas connection and that's about it. The electrical connections are separate and about $1,500. Still a reasonable price considering how much I have spent on hotels due to lengthy power failures out in the booneys. I am on a water well, so without water, I can't stay home. And since I can't move my oxygen concentrator (80 pounds) to the hotel, this has become a priority for me.
C. T.

bhawes
04-12-2013, 06:26 AM
Those were the prices they had at the home and garden show I would tyhink they will still be about the same prices.

ctchandler
04-12-2013, 08:50 AM
Thanks for all the responses to my question. I think Steve's probably has as good a deal as any. The generator Sid provided the link to looked good, good price but I am a little more interested in a package that includes installation and a recommendation for the electrical work. I will ask if they have satisfied customers that are willing to talk to me.
C. T.

rezman
04-12-2013, 09:17 AM
Northern tool is a good place to look as well.

Yes, any gasoline engine can be converted to run on propane. This is done regularly on some of the machines that we build where I work. The propane system comes in a kit designed for the engine we use and is installed during assembly. In fact, the engines we use also power many generators.

BBatesokc
04-12-2013, 10:57 AM
Thanks for all the responses to my question. I think Steve's probably has as good a deal as any. The generator Sid provided the link to looked good, good price but I am a little more interested in a package that includes installation and a recommendation for the electrical work. I will ask if they have satisfied customers that are willing to talk to me.
C. T.

CT - send me the names of who they recommend to do the electrical and I can run them on AngiesList if you want and see what kind of feedback they get.

MikeLucky
04-12-2013, 12:13 PM
To this topic... I had always had a plan to get the electrical switch put in that I could go manually throw and then just plug in the generator if I needed it... then I could buy the generator I needed OR first buy one I can afford and see how it goes and upgrade from there. It just seemed like it was a good option for being budget friendly.

I would prefer the more permanent units that flip over automatically and are just attached to my gas line, but I'm probably going to be upgrading to another house in the next 2-5 years so I figure I'll save it for that house...

ctchandler
04-12-2013, 02:58 PM
Well, I went to Steve's Wholesale today and while I was talking to an employee the installer walked in and they sent him right to me. Here is what I found out. First, it is/can be a "turnkey" operation, no need to hire an electrician separately. The 17kw unit is $3,888 and with OKC tax that comes to $4,209. Installation is between $1,600 and $2,000 assuming no really odd or difficult situations. They don't call this a "whole house" unit but it would be for my needs. It interfaces with my breaker box and powers the items and rooms that I select. There 20kw whole house unit is about $1,000 more. It doesn't interface with my breaker box, it bypasses it when the power failure occurs. I didn't write down the price, but it's less than $5,000. Monday I will try to go to Northern tool.
C. T.

MikeLucky
04-15-2013, 09:35 AM
Well, I went to Steve's Wholesale today and while I was talking to an employee the installer walked in and they sent him right to me. Here is what I found out. First, it is/can be a "turnkey" operation, no need to hire an electrician separately. The 17kw unit is $3,888 and with OKC tax that comes to $4,209. Installation is between $1,600 and $2,000 assuming no really odd or difficult situations. They don't call this a "whole house" unit but it would be for my needs. It interfaces with my breaker box and powers the items and rooms that I select. There 20kw whole house unit is about $1,000 more. It doesn't interface with my breaker box, it bypasses it when the power failure occurs. I didn't write down the price, but it's less than $5,000. Monday I will try to go to Northern tool.
C. T.

Thanks for the update. It gives me an idea of what to expect when I finally pull the trigger.

ctchandler
04-15-2013, 03:07 PM
Rezman,
I went to Northern Tool today and they didn't have the whole house units and their selection of portable units wasn't all that good. I like the store, it's the first time I had been there, but they weren't really knowledgeable about generators. Their web page does show a nice selection of both types of generators.
C. T.
Northern tool is a good place to look as well.

BBatesokc
04-15-2013, 07:07 PM
Sam's has a 17 for a few hundred dollars less - FYI.

ctchandler
04-16-2013, 01:01 PM
BBatesokc,
But, is it a whole house unit set up to run on natural gas with breaker boxes and all the wiring for permanent installation? I have never seen anything but portable units at Sam's.
C. T.

Sam's has a 17 for a few hundred dollars less - FYI.

BBatesokc
04-16-2013, 03:04 PM
BBatesokc,
But, is it a whole house unit set up to run on natural gas with breaker boxes and all the wiring for permanent installation? I have never seen anything but portable units at Sam's.
C. T.

This is a new item. Its the sam one's I've seen at Steve's.

Larry OKC
04-16-2013, 03:35 PM
check out Sams website too

Generators & Accessories - Sam's Club (http://www.samsclub.com/sams/generators/2040.cp?scatId=2040&?searchCategoryId=all&searchTerm=generators&_requestid=85272)

By the way, I had to laugh at myself...when I first read the thread title, thought it said "Tomato Season & Generators":wink:

BBatesokc
04-16-2013, 04:02 PM
check out Sams website too

Generators & Accessories - Sam's Club (http://www.samsclub.com/sams/generators/2040.cp?scatId=2040&?searchCategoryId=all&searchTerm=generators&_requestid=85272)

By the way, I had to laugh at myself...when I firt read the thread title, thought it said "Tomato Season & Generators":wink:

Those are all smaller portable generators and not the home type. You'd have to go to the store to see the larger home version(s).

However, I did use a Sam's portable generator for two weeks (at least) to power portions of our home after the May 3rd Tornado many years ago. Worked fine and kept the major items running.

ctchandler
04-16-2013, 08:32 PM
Thanks, I will check it out.
C. T.

ctchandler
04-17-2013, 12:16 PM
BBatesokc,
I went to Sam's today and the unit they have is 15kw for $3,499. The one at Steve's that I was interested is 17kw for $3,888. I'm not sure of the value per kw, but 2kw more and the warm fuzzy of a turnkey operation is worth a few dollars to me, especially now that my health has gone South. Two years ago, I would have seriously considered the Sam's unit and contracted my own installers. I was just offered a new portable (a good one) for free, so I can survive this tornado season and I have time to figure out if my health will allow me to stay in my home or if I need to move to an retirement or assisted living center. Thanks for all the help foks, if I decide to stay here, I will let you know after installation what I think.
C. T.

Larry OKC
04-19-2013, 01:13 PM
CT: Heres hoping you can stay in your home.

flintysooner
04-19-2013, 01:29 PM
I have a 25 Kva Generac that I bought about 12 years ago. I moved it once and had to buy a new transfer switch and, of course, the original was no longer made. I've always had trouble with the self-exercise cycle which no one so far has been able to repair including Generac. Early on I switched to a gel battery which was a very good decision. I have it serviced twice a year by United Engines who I would recommend.

A generator is not exactly a buy it and forget it kind of thing in my experience. One time when I needed it everything worked fine except for the pump motor on the well. I've forgotten the problem but it had to do with the pump more than the generator and should've been something I thought about when I put in the pump but didn't. Another time when I needed it the battery was dead which I resolved with the gel battery and regular testing. Another thing I've had some trouble with is rodent damage. They apparently are interested in nibbling on the insulation of the wires so it pays to keep the cabinet secure. If you use th block heater then you do have to check he water if you're water cooled. And you have to change oil.

The only other problem I've had was when OG&E put in the smart meter which found a wire that was a little loose in the transfer switch. Apparently the old meter wasn't sensitive enough for that problem to become apparent.

Don't mean to be less than enthusiastic but I know it is easy to have this expectation of trouble free operation in any emergency without any regular maintenance and that's just not exactly the way it is.

ctchandler
04-19-2013, 02:49 PM
Larry,
Thanks, I have mixed emotions but I always remember Bette Davis' quote "Old age is no place for sissies". I'm just not sure I can maintain my place but this spring/summer will tell the tale.
C. T.

CT: Heres hoping you can stay in your home.

ctchandler
05-01-2013, 06:23 PM
I started this thread, so I should tell you my temporary solution. I have an 8,800 watt, electric start generator as long as I need it (my youngest son is loaning it to me), so at least I won't kick the bucket (or "pop my clogs" as they say in England) during a power outage. This gives me time to decide if I can stay in my home or not. If I decide I can stay, I will go to Steve's and have them instal the 17kw natural gas unit. Thanks for all of the suggestions/tips.
C. T.

Prunepicker
02-15-2014, 05:46 PM
BBatesokc,
I went to Sam's today and the unit they have is 15kw for $3,499. The one at
Steve's that I was interested is 17kw for $3,888.
C. T.
CT, Steve's is all about cheap. The only thing I'll buy at his place are cheap
tools that are likely to get lost. Things like a pair of pliers to tighten a music
stand or for using as a hammer. As far as anything of substance, I've had to
return everything that cost over $5. Seriously. There hasn't been an
acception.

Steer clear of Steve's unless you want something you're going to lose or
misplace.

BBatesokc
02-16-2014, 04:42 AM
CT, Steve's is all about cheap. The only thing I'll buy at his place are cheap
tools that are likely to get lost. Things like a pair of pliers to tighten a music
stand or for using as a hammer. As far as anything of substance, I've had to
return everything that cost over $5. Seriously. There hasn't been an
acception.

Steer clear of Steve's unless you want something you're going to lose or
misplace.

I disagree - at least as a blanket statement regarding Steve's - While I wouldn't buy all my tools there if I was working construction as a profession, their quality for the most part certainly isn't junk.

We do most of our own tile, flooring, dry wall, doors, painting, electrical, etc. and most of the tools I buy I buy from Steve's. While I doubt you could use them every day and they hold up - 99% of people don't need tools that can do that.

My most recent projects involved building rock walls. I bought all my concrete materials (minus the concrete) from Steve's (mixing tubs, trowels x6, gloves, scrapers, shovel etc.). I've built benches, a 7' diameter fire pit with footing, and now raised flower beds. Not a single tools has broken and I've put them through their paces. I bought extra trowels because they felt lesser quality and I feared the handles would break off. None have broken and I saved quite a bit of money over going to a Lowe's or Home Depot.

One thing I do like is for some really messy jobs, the tools are cheap enough that if they do break or if you want, you can just toss them at the end of the job.

My garage is full of your basic tools like wrenches, screw drivers, hack saws and I bet 90% came from Steve's. I can't recall the last time one broke. The other 10% usually come from pawn shops.

I did buy a shop broom from Lowes...... it snapped off at the base within the month.

As for the generators - they sell the EXACT SAME brand as Sam's and as featured recently at the home and garden show. So, its not a no name brand or cheap. The problem I had with it is the fact you can get a more powerful unit cheaper at Sam's (same brand).