View Full Version : Next generation gaming consoles

Pages : [1] 2

Plutonic Panda
04-08-2013, 02:18 PM
Found out the new Xbox is rumored to be released on May 21. Will be interesting to see the specs. Report: Microsoft to unveil the next Xbox in May | Games Blog - Yahoo! Games (http://games.yahoo.com/blogs/plugged-in/report-microsoft-unveil-next-xbox-may-183405157.html)

Plutonic Panda
04-08-2013, 02:25 PM
BTW, I'll add some commentary and a few more articles about the next gen consoles later. Right now, I'm at school and tired, soo yeaaaaahhhh

kelroy55
04-08-2013, 02:38 PM
I was going to get an XBox but I may wait now.

Plutonic Panda
04-08-2013, 02:51 PM
I was going to get an XBox but I may wait now.I would. If you're really into gaming then I would. However, if you're just into casual gaming and want to use it as entertainment, you could just wait until the new one comes out and the existing one, which is rumored to drop to $99, and buy it when the price drops, unless you're one of those people who wants the newest, and most advanced thing out there at the time, like me. ;)

Zuplar
04-08-2013, 03:29 PM
Never been much of an xbox fan, will stick with the PS4 when it comes out at the end of the year.

Plutonic Panda
04-08-2013, 04:11 PM
Yeah, I was actually really impressed with the PS4. Having 8 cores is outstanding. The majority of computers still have a quad in them, that I've seen and even some higher-end computers still only have a 6 core so it is really impressive. I wasn't nuts about the controller and perhaps, for me, that will be the most interesting thing about the new Xbox is the controller. I just they would've showed the actually PS4 console. I wonder why they didn't.

I also hope they really overhaul they way you connect with other players in the multiplayer and view profiles on the PS4.

BTW, if some of the rumors about the new Xbox are true, I will be joining you, Zuplar. I will most likely get it regardless, for the exclusive games, but it won't be right away, depending on how the new Xbox is, which I will write something about later.

kelroy55
04-09-2013, 10:10 AM
Event for new Xbox could happen in May - CNN.com (http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/08/tech/gaming-gadgets/may-xbox-event/index.html?hpt=hp_t2)

kelroy55
04-09-2013, 10:12 AM
I'm not a huge gamer and pretty much stick to football, Mario bro's, some action games but don't spend hours playing. Not sure to go with XBox or the PS4.

OKCisOK4me
04-09-2013, 10:19 AM
My original PS3 box still works (knock on wood)! I don't use it to play games very often and I only have 3 or 4 games. Blus? That's a different story! I'll stick with my movie machine...until it breaks :)

Achilleslastand
04-09-2013, 10:31 AM
Found out the new Xbox is rumored to be released on May 21. Will be interesting to see the specs. Report: Microsoft to unveil the next Xbox in May | Games Blog - Yahoo! Games (http://games.yahoo.com/blogs/plugged-in/report-microsoft-unveil-next-xbox-may-183405157.html)

Released in May 2014 not 2013 im pretty sure.

Achilleslastand
04-09-2013, 10:34 AM
Yeah, I was actually really impressed with the PS4. Having 8 cores is outstanding. The majority of computers still have a quad in them, that I've seen and even some higher-end computers still only have a 6 core so it is really impressive. I wasn't nuts about the controller and perhaps, for me, that will be the most interesting thing about the new Xbox is the controller. I just they would've showed the actually PS4 console. I wonder why they didn't.

I also hope they really overhaul they way you connect with other players in the multiplayer and view profiles on the PS4.

BTW, if some of the rumors about the new Xbox are true, I will be joining you, Zuplar. I will most likely get it regardless, for the exclusive games, but it won't be right away, depending on how the new Xbox is, which I will write something about later.

My current pc processor is 8 cores......trouble is most games at this point cant utilize all 8 cores let alone 6 or 4. Its a good processor for gaming but an even better one for doing many things at once.

OSUFan
04-09-2013, 10:52 AM
Lot of rumors that the new XBox will require a constant internet connection. I'm a playstation guy but that would relaly turn me off from the XBox.

jn1780
04-09-2013, 11:50 AM
Released in May 2014 not 2013 im pretty sure.

It would either be this fall or next fall for the holiday season.

Plutonic Panda
04-09-2013, 03:57 PM
Event for new Xbox could happen in May - CNN.com (http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/08/tech/gaming-gadgets/may-xbox-event/index.html?hpt=hp_t2)oooops, excuse me on that one, I just now saw I forgot to put, EVENT is coming May 21, not the actually release date for the console. My bust lol

Plutonic Panda
04-09-2013, 03:58 PM
My current pc processor is 8 cores......trouble is most games at this point cant utilize all 8 cores let alone 6 or 4. Its a good processor for gaming but an even better one for doing many things at once.Yuup mine is too, and I keep forgetting to tell you the specs of my mystery tower, I mean computer, well it is going to be a tower. I wonder if when/if I get my computer tower, I can go on the mystery tower thread and say here it is folks. . . ;)

Plutonic Panda
04-09-2013, 04:00 PM
Released in May 2014 not 2013 im pretty sure.I'm almost positive it's going to be this holiday season. PS4 is and if Microsoft didn't, they would give Sony a huge advantage.

Plutonic Panda
04-09-2013, 04:00 PM
Lot of rumors that the new XBox will require a constant internet connection. I'm a playstation guy but that would relaly turn me off from the XBox.I couldn't agree more. I'll explain later. :)

BBatesokc
04-09-2013, 07:40 PM
Looking forward to upgrading to the PS4. Ended up also getting an XBOX (from a pawn shop) just for the Kinect games - find them to be much better than the PS3 Move ones.

As for my home computer..... 12-cores here and 4 27" displays - its my little NASA control room.

Achilleslastand
04-09-2013, 08:59 PM
Looking forward to upgrading to the PS4. Ended up also getting an XBOX (from a pawn shop) just for the Kinect games - find them to be much better than the PS3 Move ones.

As for my home computer..... 12-cores here and 4 27" displays - its my little NASA control room.

12 cores?
Wha?
AMD Opteron?

Plutonic Panda
04-09-2013, 09:40 PM
looking forward to upgrading to the ps4. Ended up also getting an xbox (from a pawn shop) just for the kinect games - find them to be much better than the ps3 move ones.

as for my home computer..... 12-cores here and 4 27" displays - its my little nasa control room.nice!!!!!!!!!

BBatesokc
04-10-2013, 06:12 AM
12 cores?
Wha?
AMD Opteron?

Apple Mac Pro - 12 cores, 64RAM, 8TB RAID

Lord Helmet
04-10-2013, 11:53 AM
Lot of rumors that the new XBox will require a constant internet connection. I'm a playstation guy but that would relaly turn me off from the XBox.

Yup. I'm an XBox buy, but I'll switch to Sony if MS requires an internet connection in order to block used games etc.

kelroy55
04-10-2013, 01:09 PM
Yup. I'm an XBox buy, but I'll switch to Sony if MS requires an internet connection in order to block used games etc.

I was wondering why they wanted a full time connection.

Cocaine
04-11-2013, 05:04 AM
Something about preventing piracy?

BBatesokc
04-11-2013, 08:09 AM

Is it blocking 'used games' or just illegally copied games?

I'd be out if they required registration of games and no selling/buying used ones. I never buy games new (Craigslist and pawn shops for me). However, I would highly doubt they'd outlaw the use of used games. They'd kill their market share.

bhawes
04-11-2013, 08:13 AM
If you are into multi player Xbox360 has PS3 beat hands down. But whole ever comes out first with the next generation may take over.

jn1780
04-11-2013, 08:58 AM
Well, in the PC sector they have been releasing more server based games that require an internet connection. The new Sim City came out last month and people were upset that they couldn't play it the first few days because EA didn't allocate enough server capacity.

BBatesokc
04-11-2013, 09:09 AM
Well, in the PC sector they have been releasing more server based games that require an internet connection. The new Sim City came out last month and people were upset that they couldn't play it the first few days because EA didn't allocate enough server capacity.

Same is going for some high end graphics software. You pay monthly for access via the Internet and don't ever own a physical copy.

When it goes to server based gaming only, I'm out completely if the prices stay in the $40-$60 range per game. I don't even think I'd pay a low monthly. Let me buy a game for $15 at a pawn shop and play when/where I want.

Lord Helmet
04-11-2013, 09:54 AM
Is it blocking 'used games' or just illegally copied games?

The rumor is both. I'm reserving judgement until we know for certain.

Achilleslastand
04-11-2013, 10:13 AM
The used pc game market has been all but killed by steam/gamestop. I despise steam alto if i wanna play certain games its a necessary evil. Fifty bucks for nothing but a download and a serial key to me is nothing more then highway robbery. There are none of the costs involved in producing box/disks/maunals nor any of the shipping costs of getting said product into a brick and mortar retailer but consumers still pay full price.

Lord Helmet
04-11-2013, 12:09 PM
The used pc game market has been all but killed by steam/gamestop. I despise steam alto if i wanna play certain games its a necessary evil. Fifty bucks for nothing but a download and a serial key to me is nothing more then highway robbery. There are none of the costs involved in producing box/disks/maunals nor any of the shipping costs of getting said product into a brick and mortar retailer but consumers still pay full price.

I'd love to go download only, but not at the same prices I'm paying for physical media. It would be nice if these companies would pass along the savings of not having to create a physical copy of a game...but it doesn't look like it's going to happen.

jn1780
04-11-2013, 12:28 PM
Why we should be thankful for $70 PS4 and Xbox 720 games | ExtremeTech (http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/150425-why-we-should-be-thankful-for-70-ps4-and-xbox-720-games)

I'd love to go download only, but not at the same prices I'm paying for physical media. It would be nice if these companies would pass along the savings of not having to create a physical copy of a game...but it doesn't look like it's going to happen.

Here is an article that says games are "cheap". Could be working for the industry though. lol

BBatesokc
04-11-2013, 12:41 PM
I personally would not buy into a gaming console that had no used game market. But, that's just me. I understand it costs money, but gaming isn't important enough to me to put up all the money for a console and then know that each game will be $50-$70 and there is no hope to recoup any of that by selling it used.

I still can't bring myself to buy any games above $2.99 in Apple's Itunes or App Store. But, I have bought $30 PC games at Target in the past.

Plutonic Panda
04-12-2013, 02:31 AM
Here's a soundtrack released from the amazing folks at Rockstar. All GTA tracks from Spotify and iTunes! Official Grand Theft Auto Radio Playlists on Spotify and iTunes | Rockstar Games (http://www.rockstargames.com/newswire/article/49411/official-grand-theft-auto-radio-playlists-on-spotify-and-itunes.html)

venture
04-12-2013, 10:17 AM
I never really could get into console games after graduating to PC gaming years ago. Sure the Wii and playstation are fun here and there, but you don't get nearly the in depth customization you can with PC games.

Hawk405359
04-12-2013, 10:30 AM
I'm not going to buy a console that requires connections to servers to even play. My wifi isn't always reliable in the first place, and I'm installing wired just to play a game console. I could only imagine if Microsoft had a wide-scale security breach like Sony had and had to go down to fix it. "Hey, I know you paid $700 for this console, but it's a brick now... sorry."

Plutonic Panda
04-12-2013, 02:28 PM
I never really could get into console games after graduating to PC gaming years ago. Sure the Wii and playstation are fun here and there, but you don't get nearly the in depth customization you can with PC games.Yuuuup!

BBatesokc
04-12-2013, 03:26 PM
I never really could get into console games after graduating to PC gaming years ago. Sure the Wii and playstation are fun here and there, but you don't get nearly the in depth customization you can with PC games.

I guess I reverted. I started with PC games (Marathon!) and then switched over to console games. Or, maybe I just came full circle. I did have a console on a B&W TV in the 70's that could play 6 different versions of pong - then I went with Intellivision (still have it), then PC games, then XBOX and PS.

Plutonic Panda
04-12-2013, 08:32 PM
I don't buy used games, but I think it would hurt Microsoft if they went the "anti" used games route. I also think, people should be able to buy used games, but it is in a way, kind of bad for the developers of the games. They loose a lot of money for people being able to play their games, and in defense of EA's new strategy(which is a miracle for me), requiring an online code. Comes with the game new, one times use, and if you sell it used, the other owner has to purchase it from a marketplace.

I will not be purchasing an Xbox if online is required. I will also not be purchasing one if you can't insert disks. The cloud is cool, but not reliable. Internet can go out and other things happen. I'm really looking at pumping some serious cash into a gaming rig, or I might abandon gaming all together, seeing as most new games coming out are crap and I haven't been enjoying them as much as I used to, I also need to focus more on school for what I want to do in life.

I will never buy an EA game again for as long as I live. I've had it with EA. DO NOT even get me started on Sim City 5. That game sucks! If you like it, great, I hate it!!!!!!!!!!! There are so many things wrong with it, and I've already ranted about it, probably more than I've actually played it. EA should only make sports games and thats that.

Comparing top performance gaming computers to consoles is like comparing a ford fusion to a 458 Italia, it doesn't make sense. You want the best, you gotta pay for it. I own a ton of consoles, as well as the 360 and the PS3. I will likely get the new Xbox and the PS4, but I will purchase the PS4 at a later date, I'm not made of money lol. . .

The new Xbox is almost certainly coming out this holiday season and I'm excited to see where it's heading. Graphics have gotten so good, the next big leap in gaming, imo, it to actually teleport you into the game, I wonder when that will happen. Maybe I try to come out with that, anyone want to help me? ;) Also, the best thing about the PC are mods. Some developers have even released programs that can easily allow players to mod their(devs) own games.

As it's already been said, the Xbox beats the Playstation in multiplayer and social interaction, parties, indie games, easy gamer connection ect. I've always heard the PS3 has better graphics, I have 46'' Samsung led 240hz 3d(which 3d sucks, imo) and I can't tell a difference. The PS3 has a few cool exclusive games, Uncharted series is my fav. . . but other than that, I don't like it much. It's okay and serves it's purpose. It really is just the same thing as the Xbox, but just a different layout, design, and minor performance differences and it has a bluray.

venture
04-13-2013, 08:19 AM
DRM is unfortunately here to stay and not much we can do about it. EA is one of those love/hate relationships for me. I'm a huge BioWare fan, but it seems since they were acquired by EA the games aren't nearly as in depth as they once were. The new Sim City was just a cluster. I played the "beta" (more like demo) and it just doesn't have the feel of a real Sim City game. So I didn't even both to buy it. Sim City 4 runs just as well right now and is more customizable to make it superior - even being 10 years old.

At the end of the day though we have to realize that the gaming world is getting controlled by just a few. EA being king followed by the likes of Blizzard/Activision, Bethesda, and such. Hopefully Bethesda, owned by ZeniMax, is able to stay away from being sucked up by the mega companies. They knocked it out with Skyrim and I'm looking forward to ESO.

Plutonic Panda
04-13-2013, 03:15 PM
I love Bethesda!!!! One of the great remaining few. Valve is a wonderful dev too imo. As far as Sim City goes, I actually went back to playing 4 here and there.

venture
04-13-2013, 03:32 PM
I love Bethesda!!!! One of the great remaining few. Valve is a wonderful dev too imo. As far as Sim City goes, I actually went back to playing 4 here and there.

I'm holding out hopes that ESO isn't a punt like what happened with SWTOR and BioWare. These RPG developers can produce such amazing in depth stories that evolve with the player's actions, but yet no one has been able to really make it translate into the MMO world. As sad as it is, I still play WOW after 7 years (a lot of it because of friends that still play it and we are split up across the country now, so its a way to connect somewhat) but I still get annoyed getting the "go get me X things from this farm" after my character just saved the world a year ago. LOL

Plutonic Panda
04-13-2013, 03:46 PM
haha yeah, have you played the Mist of Pandaria for WOW? It seems like they just took Kung Fu Panda and incorporated it into the game. I was certain a lawsuit would be filed over it, but I have yet to see one. I stopped playing wow a few years back haha. For whatever reason, when I played Runescape and Second Life, I kind of lost interest for WOW, but I didn't play though games as nearly as long as I did WOW. For my computer, I've just been playing Arma, rift, half life, rtc3, almost anything valve lol, I haven't played ESO but it looks fun. It's free to play right? I might check it out when(IF lol) I get my new gaming rig set up

venture
04-13-2013, 04:51 PM
Yeah I get the WOW xpacs as soon as they come out. It's one of those things, I've been playing the Warcraft games since Orcs & Humans (the first in the series of the original RTS games). Which makes me feel old since it came out the year you were born or pretty close from what I remember. LOL The MOP expansion has been alright. It actually feels more like Burning Crusade and that is kinda nice. The Pandaran have been in WOW lore well before Kung Fu Panda, so that's why you haven't seen a lawsuit. :)

I haven't tried Runescape. I did get on Second Life a couple times, but it wasn't really a game so that's why it didn't keep my interest. Plus the concept just doesn't seem to be executed all that well. I tried the Rift beta but it felt like WOW so I didn't bother. LOL I'm still waiting for a beta invite for Elder Scrolls Online (ESO for those that may not be following us) so we'll see how it goes. They haven't announced the pricing plan for it yet, but I would imagine a F2P model with micro transactions like everyone but WOW. In the mean time Skyrim fills the need for that story line for me. Then later this year we'll have Dragon Age 3 come out I believe which will steal even more time. :)

Achilleslastand
04-13-2013, 05:27 PM
Yeah I get the WOW xpacs as soon as they come out. It's one of those things, I've been playing the Warcraft games since Orcs & Humans (the first in the series of the original RTS games). Which makes me feel old since it came out the year you were born or pretty close from what I remember. LOL The MOP expansion has been alright. It actually feels more like Burning Crusade and that is kinda nice. The Pandaran have been in WOW lore well before Kung Fu Panda, so that's why you haven't seen a lawsuit. :)

I haven't tried Runescape. I did get on Second Life a couple times, but it wasn't really a game so that's why it didn't keep my interest. Plus the concept just doesn't seem to be executed all that well. I tried the Rift beta but it felt like WOW so I didn't bother. LOL I'm still waiting for a beta invite for Elder Scrolls Online (ESO for those that may not be following us) so we'll see how it goes. They haven't announced the pricing plan for it yet, but I would imagine a F2P model with micro transactions like everyone but WOW. In the mean time Skyrim fills the need for that story line for me. Then later this year we'll have Dragon Age 3 come out I believe which will steal even more time. :)

The Elder scrolls online is due out later this year with beta invites due out very soon ive heard {crosses fingers}. The best TES chapter to me is Morrowind and while a bit old a huge mod entitled Morrowind overhaul 3.0 has just been released which among other additions gives the game a new and much needed graphical coat of paint.
Morrowind Overhaul » Ornitocopter (http://www.ornitocopter.net/morrowind-overhaul/)

venture
04-13-2013, 06:01 PM
Beta invites started rolling out a couple weeks ago. They are just doing short test periods. Unlike betas for games like WOW, once you get an invite you are not in for the duration of beta - it is only for that testing event.

Plutonic Panda
04-13-2013, 09:11 PM

I haven't tried Runescape. I did get on Second Life a couple times, but it wasn't really a game so that's why it didn't keep my interest. Plus the concept just doesn't seem to be executed all that well. I tried the Rift beta but it felt like WOW so I didn't bother. LOL I'm still waiting for a beta invite for Elder Scrolls Online (ESO for those that may not be following us) so we'll see how it goes. They haven't announced the pricing plan for it yet, but I would imagine a F2P model with micro transactions like everyone but WOW. In the mean time Skyrim fills the need for that story line for me. Then later this year we'll have Dragon Age 3 come out I believe which will steal even more time. :)Where the hell is Half Life 3!?!?!?!?!?! Thats one thing I would to know to lol. . . I didn't really catch the Pandaran part of the WOW series, then again I didn't pay too much attention to WOW for some reason. It was fun here and there for me, but over all, I didn't get into to it that much

venture
04-13-2013, 11:10 PM
Where the hell is Half Life 3!?!?!?!?!?! Thats one thing I would to know to lol. . . I didn't really catch the Pandaran part of the WOW series, then again I didn't pay too much attention to WOW for some reason. It was fun here and there for me, but over all, I didn't get into to it that much

Pandaran were in about 5 seconds ( LOL ) of Warcraft 3, this was their first appearance in the WOW series of that.

Plutonic Panda
04-24-2013, 04:45 PM
This will be interesting to see how the Xbox stands up against the PS3.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8390/8678454651_9d8099e7e0_b.jpg

Plutonic Panda
04-24-2013, 04:48 PM
BTW here's the link Xbox, A New Generation Revealed - Xbox.com (http://www.xbox.com/en-US/hub/reveal)

Mississippi Blues
04-24-2013, 04:53 PM
It will be interesting to see, but if the rumors are true then I think I'll pass on it.

Plutonic Panda
04-24-2013, 05:16 PM
It will be interesting to see, but if the rumors are true then I think I'll pass on it.I feel you 100% on that. Real talk man haha :)

MadMonk
04-24-2013, 05:28 PM
Sneak preview or red herring?

http://i.imgur.com/WS6ikqe.png

Plutonic Panda
04-24-2013, 06:09 PM
Is it going to be called the Xbox Infinity maybe? That was one of the rumors going around.

Architect2010
04-25-2013, 08:37 PM
Hmm... Announcement on my birthday. After purchasing a launch-day 360 and getting red-ring, and then purchasing another first generation 360 and getting the red ring of death again, I turned my back on Microsoft as far as gaming goes. Bought a PS3 shortly thereafter and that baby is still going. So excited for the Playstation 4 to come out and I'm still very curious as to the next Xbox despite the horrible experience I had with their hardware.

Mississippi Blues
06-10-2013, 06:52 PM
Okay, I'm confused on something. The Xbox One requires an internet connection once every 24 hours or else you won't be able to play games. What I'm wondering is, can you reconnect if you go longer than 24 hours without connecting to the internet? For example, I go on a vacation to a place where there's no internet & I can't take my Xbox with me which would prevent me from connecting to the internet once every 24 hours. Will I be able to reconnect when I get back so I can play games or will I never be able to play a game on the Xbox One again?

jerrywall
06-10-2013, 07:58 PM
Okay, I'm confused on something. The Xbox One requires an internet connection once every 24 hours or else you won't be able to play games. What I'm wondering is, can you reconnect if you go longer than 24 hours without connecting to the internet? For example, I go on a vacation to a place where there's no internet & I can't take my Xbox with me which would prevent me from connecting to the internet once every 24 hours. Will I be able to reconnect when I get back so I can play games or will I never be able to play a game on the Xbox One again?

I'd assume it would reconnect, no problem. It just wouldn't play the games until it reauthorized again.

Mississippi Blues
06-10-2013, 08:16 PM
I'd assume it would reconnect, no problem. It just wouldn't play the games until it reauthorized again.

That's what you'd think. If that's the case then it's no big deal.

jerrywall
06-10-2013, 08:34 PM
The XBOX division at MS runs almost like a different company, and while they may make the occasional misstep, they actually have a decent track record, and a willingness to change/evolve fairly rapidly.

blangtang
06-11-2013, 12:02 AM
new xbox available sometime around November. seeing $499 price point.

my initial reaction is to pass, especially if this thing is deemed to be online 24/7, and to spy on you! :)

dons tinfoil hat :)